SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:44 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,858 Posts
Medium CA works well. Sally Hansen Hard as Nails for fingernails is Mike's favorite for anything you'd like to take apart again some day.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:05 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI View Post
Just sems to be a lot of bickering back and forth about it (cold weather affects on the circuits and the batts).
Hmmm... there was explanation and clarification and anecdotes and observations from several of us. With the exception of one bitchy comment I recall, I didn't see any bickering. Maybe you took the banter or the tone the wrong way... that can happen in a written forum.

North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX9 HobbyZone Champ RUD>AIL Mix
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:17 PM
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2010
1,319 Posts
and BAZINGA
MJF is offline Find More Posts by MJF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: got another plane
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:46 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Dec 2012
25 Posts
Hot!

It's 40deg C here today....fires everywhere....50kph wind...somebody spritz me!
OK....did 3batts in 120SR this morning before the winds came in. Hovers perfect....forward flight I'm learning to control (does anyone just push the elev stick forward!), turns are ok provided done gently...all ok. My question...have the timer set for 5mins..each battery. Back home....recharged on B6AC.....stock battery and one Hyperion550 take about 350mah....but one bat...another Hyperion550 takes 511mah. I've had all these since new and always charged and flown them the same way. I'm thinking the deeper cycling Hyperion is on the way out...or maybe it's the only good one...lol....any thoughts?
The 120SR flies well on all the batteries.....the Hyperions seem to give it a bit more urgency...
Dman1110 is offline Find More Posts by Dman1110
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:30 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,275 Posts
Dman1110...

It's been my experience that the supposed better quality lipos are usually underrated and have a bit higher capacity than what they're marketed as. I have some Gens Ace 5000mah lipos I use in my surface RC's that everyone who uses them knows are actually 5500 or better. I don't sweat it if my charger puts 4500 back into them... that's still pretty much following the 80% rule.

I'm not saying for sure those particular Hyperions (I own one, myself) have the same deal going on, but it's possible. What non loaded resting voltage is the one that takes 511 at before you recharge it? What is the other one at?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:34 AM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman1110 View Post
It's 40deg C here today....fires everywhere....50kph wind...somebody spritz me!
OK....did 3batts in 120SR this morning before the winds came in. Hovers perfect....forward flight I'm learning to control (does anyone just push the elev stick forward!), turns are ok provided done gently...all ok. My question...have the timer set for 5mins..each battery. Back home....recharged on B6AC.....stock battery and one Hyperion550 take about 350mah....but one bat...another Hyperion550 takes 511mah. I've had all these since new and always charged and flown them the same way. I'm thinking the deeper cycling Hyperion is on the way out...or maybe it's the only good one...lol....any thoughts?
The 120SR flies well on all the batteries.....the Hyperions seem to give it a bit more urgency...
IF you fly all batteries the same amount of time, and in about the same manner, I would say its probably on its way out.
As a battery starts to go, its unable to put out the same voltage under load as it was when it was new, which means it has to supply more amps to keep the heli in the air. (it takes X number of watts to fly, Volts x amps = watts)

If it takes 15 watts to fly (I just pulled that number out of my.... keyboard, I don't know the real number, but I bet that's close) and the battery is supplying 4V, then it will be pulling 3.6 amps. But if the voltage is only 3.6v, it still needs the full 15 Watts to fly, which means its pulling 4.2 amps. if the voltage sags to 3.2v, it will be pulling 4.7 amps.... So a battery that cant maintain voltage under load will drain faster (assuming it doesn't sag so much that you hit LVC)

You also have to consider that a hot motor will draw more amps too.
dacaur is online now Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:38 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Dec 2012
25 Posts
@North......the 2 batts that took around 340 were at around 3.78. The batt that took the big load was at 3.55
They all seem to be performing ok at the moment....just thought it was strange there was such a difference between 2 similar bats.

@dacaur......the batt in question was the first one I used today....so motor not all that hot...I'm not thrashing the sky by any means..but I see exactly what you mean
Last edited by Dman1110; Jan 08, 2013 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Additional reply noted
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:40 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,275 Posts
Yeah, dacaur probably has a better idea than I what those resting voltages would mean with all other things being equal... especially with regard to one going bad. I used to know, but it all escapes me right now to be honest.

I was just curious to see if you would tell me the odd one out had the same resting voltage as the other ones after use... which I think would indicate it just possibly has a higher actual capacity than the others like my Gens Ace I mentioned. I once put pretty much the full rated capacity back into one of those 5000mah when I accidentally ran my buggy longer than usual... but I never hit LVC. That's what made me do some research and found out that it's common knowledge the particular one I'm using has an actual capacity significantly higher than what it's rated/marketed as.

Are you sure you ran them all just as hard as each other?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:08 AM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,175 Posts
3.6v resting voltage means you are at basically 0% capacity.... so 3.55 is bad... 3.78 is about 30%, which jives with the rated capacity and what you charged the others....

I have found this to be pretty accurate.

4.20v = 100%
4.03v = 76%
3.86v = 52%
3.83v = 42%
3.79v = 30%
3.70v = 11%
3.6v = 0%
dacaur is online now Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:28 AM
Joined Feb 2012
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
Various quotes (not mine) from the discussion a year ago...
Now you're making me do another expirement.
midnite is offline Find More Posts by midnite
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:41 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnite View Post
Now you're making me do another expirement.
Let us know
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:04 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Dec 2012
25 Posts
@North.....I got these batteries all at the same time....had them since new....for the first few flights I only had the stock charger...so couldn't say what the state was new. I mainly flying hover practice since I started...controlling movements and such...but no fff...gentle turns. Each battery has had the same use...I guess I'm not very adventurous ...but have now had about 30-40 flights with no crashes. I got the B6AC after reading more about the vagaries of lipos. Dacaur's info about voltages is interesting.....I'll see how these batts progress. The stock eflite batt is going very well.......I've been charging them all at .5 since they came...takes about 45 mins each. I'll keep ya posted. Thanks for all the info.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:24 AM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,660 Posts
You have to keep in mind that ALL lipos have their own personality. I have 3 2S Rhinos 750mah. All bought at the same time. I've always balance charged them, however each one flys different. Not much. But, they all fly different and I've never gone beyond the 80% rule.

Dman1110, Please don't take this as an insult but, you are new to the thread and we all don't know your experience. Anyway, here's a great, easy to read web site on lipos. It's kinda like my bible
https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...arging-how-tos

Many members here already know I throw this link out and it has always given them a better understanding about lipos. The site even has some soldering tips

@dacaur Your graph (Volt=%) looks to me like it's on the money

Welcome to the thread Dman,

Mike.
Chap1012 is online now Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:58 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Jan 2013
67 Posts
I'm determined to become an RC Heli's Pilot if it kills me, wrecks my house/garage, takes away 4 or 5 of my cats lives and bleeds my 401k. Ok, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration.

I started with a v911 (and will continue) and today purchased a Blade 120 SR RTF. Brought it home, did a bit of trimming and broke the flybar. Sigh.

I'll head back to hobbytown to get a new flybar later but I'd like to get others thoughts on other parts I should be prepared to replace. I was thinking of picking up some "Turnigy nano-tech 600mah 35C Batteries Lipo"
dferrey is offline Find More Posts by dferrey
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:03 PM
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Jul 2012
262 Posts
Just don't give up. I have M.S. and bad eye hand and I'm pulling this in a 10 x 12 living room.

To days flying.
Sky Dancing inside. (7 min 55 sec)
Rich Knapp is offline Find More Posts by Rich Knapp