Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:07 PM
United States, NH
Joined Nov 2012
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI View Post
Brian, in that case I'm not sure how to proceed. I think I might need more space to do this, like in the garage. How do guys fly inside a house if it is going to take off going forward? Or just get good enough that it takes off like that and get it under control quickly enough that it doesn't hit anything? I know these are noobie questions and maybe i should take them to that forum.
Gilly
Naaaa, it's 120 related, here's as good a place as any

I'm still in the practice stage as well, do pretty good with everything but nose in, still working on that. I fly in my 12x14 living room, 8ft ceilings, and so far haven't damaged the heli or the rooms contents. You either have to be able to get it under control quickly, or many times cut the throttle before it hits what it's headed for, I've done that more times than I can count and haven't had to replace a part yet, probably helps that I'm dropping on to carpet too
DaveNH is offline Find More Posts by DaveNH
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:08 PM
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Dec 2011
536 Posts
Yup. Killing the throttle is key to minimizing damage.
I feel that I can handle this heli. pretty well but I don't fly it in the house.
I could. I have an 18'x30' living room with vaulted ceiling. I don't think I'd have much fun with it in that small of a space, though, and I sure wouldn't want to learn in that small of a space. Maybe if it was a bare room. Even if that was the case I'm sure I would have been hitting walls when I was learning.
I'm quite comfortable with hovering my 120SR near my head but I still don't bother flying it in the house.

I guess now I'm gonna have to go charge up a couple lipos and try it in the house. Maybe it'll be more fun than I imagine. It'll sure highlight any flaws in my skills. I'll try shoot a video to show what it does if I just throttle it off the ground with no other inputs.
Brian VT is offline Find More Posts by Brian VT
Last edited by Brian VT; Jan 04, 2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:27 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,925 Posts
Gilly, I hate to repeat myself. Check your tail rotor for perfection,,..if you will. Make sure there is no curl of the rotor IE: towards the motor. Using your thumb and index finger, slowly shape the pitch. When you look at the rotor from the rear it should look "perfect" even when you spin it by hand. Spinning square to the ground. Most over looked

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:48 PM
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Jul 2012
243 Posts
Quote:
Brian, in that case I'm not sure how to proceed. I think I might need more space to do this, like in the garage. How do guys fly inside a house if it is going to take off going forward? Or just get good enough that it takes off like that and get it under control quickly enough that it doesn't hit anything? I know these are noobie questions and maybe i should take them to that forum.
Gilly
I have a used one also. I have to wait to go threw and replace some wore parts but on a slow throttle up it wants to nose dive. I just get the blades turning and when they are settled I pop it up and it is fine. Here is my 2nd day with it and in a 10' x 12' living room and needing a swash and up rebuild. I am running a DX6i but first time I flew in house I bound it to my MSR RTF tx. The RTF tx don't do this heli justice.

Blade 120sr test flight. 2nd day with it. Jan 1st 2013. (6 min 49 sec)
Rich Knapp is offline Find More Posts by Rich Knapp
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:51 PM
Joined Dec 2012
33 Posts
Thanks to all. I will check the tail rotor, I hadn't heard this before so np repeating it, I sure can't look over all these pages.
Have gotten the throttle chopping down fairly good.
I actually took it out in the cold in the driveway, and didn't have much success.
Then hung it up for the night but am charging batteries as i write.
Discovered a few things:
1 I cracked the covering already (fuselage or canopy) just where one of the grommets are. Might have been pre-existing, doesn't seem like a big deal.

2 I have been installing the batt upside down, so possibly my balance was off due to the batt being put into the bracket too far?

3 One of the 2 links that attach to the rotor came off at some point, I found it on the floor in my basement, no idea if this was a major control hinderance or minor. To clarify, I think this is the link that there are 4 of these that are the same, this was one of the top most ones. it went back on no problem.

Question, are the trim setting ever lost? Or do they stay the same unless the trim buttons are pushed? For example when I replace a flight batt or the control batts.

Gilly
GillyWI is offline Find More Posts by GillyWI
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:51 PM
Underdog
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Dec 2012
356 Posts
I'd like to practice flying more but i dont have enough room inside and there is snow on the ground outside. I read earlier that when you crash in the snow it may be soft but the melted snow will ruin the electronics. Sounds like a problem but I've also seen video of people flying their helis in the winter. What do they know that I don't? Or do they just not crash?
Jonboy. is offline Find More Posts by Jonboy.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:52 PM
Joined Dec 2012
33 Posts
BTW I tried flying in a carpeted room but the skids kept catching on the carpet leading to tipping over.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:55 PM
Joined Dec 2012
33 Posts
Oh and you guys might find this humorous, I had the throttle trim set so far down (trying to make it less sensitive) that I could not get the heli airborne, not enough throttle! By the time i had this realization I had the battery tuckered out already. Blah!
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:57 PM
Joined Dec 2012
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy. View Post
I'd like to practice flying more but i dont have enough room inside and there is snow on the ground outside. I read earlier that when you crash in the snow it may be soft but the melted snow will ruin the electronics. Sounds like a problem but I've also seen video of people flying their helis in the winter. What do they know that I don't? Or do they just not crash?
If it is below 32 and you let the heli cool off before crashing, errr, flying, then maybe melting snow won't be a big problem, you can just blow the snow away from the board. I was just flying in the driveway, although I had a few snowbank hits. Snow just right at this time, not rock hard and not mushy, perfect for crashing in to.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:58 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,587 Posts
Quote:
Gilly
Basically, you will eventually learn how much aileron you need to give to take of pretty much straight up. This is not unique to the 120sr, all single rotor helis do it, (unless they have their main shaft set at an angle like the MSR). The tail is blowing the heli left, so you have to counter with right till you get it in the air, at which point it will tilt a little right to counter the tail blowing it left.... Your best bet is to get it spooled up almost to the point its about to take off, then pop it into the air a few inches, get it under control, then get a couple feet of altitude and get her trimmed out, once trimmed for a stable hover, it will be easier to take off next time because all you will have to counter is the tail rotor. A hint here is you can actually bend your landing gear so that the heli sits at an angle to the right, and then it will take off without having to use as much right aileron... I would only do this till you get comfortable, then learn how to counter it with aileron, since you cant bend the landing gear of all helis....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:06 PM
Joined Dec 2012
33 Posts
Thanks, i seem to be getting a little of this figured out as i have been dialing in some right aileron already due to a left drift. Brian already alluded to that and I guess it did sink in a little. I think I screwed myself up by trimming down the throttle to fix what I felt was an oversensitive throttle, then ended up without enough throttle to "pop" it up.
I think there is too much stuff in my basement (plus a steel support pole like most houses have these days) and I am afraid to pop it inside right now.

Anyone know how to put the trims all back to factory/balanced setting so i can start over?

Gilly
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:07 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,587 Posts
Flying outside when its cold isnt a great idea.

#1, cold makes plastic brittle, so things will break easier the thinner the plastic the faster it gets cold and becomes brittle, (I.E, canopy)

#2, the cold effectively lowers the C rating of lipo batteries. Basically, if you have a battery that's just good enough to fly the heli when its warm (e-flight stock batteries) then when the battery gets cold it will lose power and the heli will go into LVC prematurely, even though the battery has plenty of power left. With an airplane you can fly full throttle which will heat up the battery and counter the cold, but with a FP heli, you cant do that obviously....The smaller the battery the quicker you lose power (the quicker it gets cold) I tried to fly my nano a few days ago in my backyard, its been below freezing for the past couple weeks, and expected to stay below for at least another week or more . Well, with a freshly charged battery I took off, and in less than 30 seconds it crashed down into the snow, even though I took it to full throttle..... I quickly blew it off, but its still started acting wonky (pitch reversed itself) I got a can of compressed air and got it completely dry, and its OK now, but I certainly wont be flying over snow again, even after it warms up a bit.
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:09 PM
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Jul 2012
243 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, i seem to be getting a little of this figured out as i have been dialing in some right aileron already due to a left drift. Brian already alluded to that and I guess it did sink in a little. I think I screwed myself up by trimming down the throttle to fix what I felt was an oversensitive throttle, then ended up without enough throttle to "pop" it up.
I think there is too much stuff in my basement (plus a steel support pole like most houses have these days) and I am afraid to pop it inside right now.

Anyone know how to put the trims all back to factory/balanced setting so i can start over?

Gilly
RTF tx. As you push the bottons, when you reach center the beep will be longer, just go up another push then come back down 1 and see if the beep is longer again. .
Rich Knapp is offline Find More Posts by Rich Knapp
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:09 PM
Jagd Flieger
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Apr 2011
190 Posts
Hi guys

Thanks for all the suggestions about the servo replacement, I am pretty sure they will send me only the servo not the whole 5 in 1 board, I should get it next week. There is zero movement on the servo when I use my radio! I have the larger soldering iron, so I will have to buy one of the smaller tip style ones like you guys mentioned. I think that it will be easier and safer to solder the servo wires together to the existing wires that are soldered to the board.Thanks for the video.

Thanks again Sabastian
Sabastian is offline Find More Posts by Sabastian
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:10 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
So after over a month I finaly got the MicroHeli flybar installed. I would not recommend this part. Poor fit and finish. I broke TWO carbon fiber rods trying to install them. They have to be sanded down a good bit in order to fit. I also had to cut about 1/32 of an inch off of one of the replacement ones. The carbon fiber is pretty weak where the holes are drilled. I tell ya, this thing has been the biggest pain in the a$$ you ever heard of!
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56