HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:51 AM
Wind you go around in circles
United States, FL, Middleburg
Joined Jan 2012
1,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnite View Post
I started off just using thumbs but eventually learned to use a variation of the pinch method and found it offered much more control and precision - maybe for aerobics the thumb only would be quicker - don't know for certain - guess it's what you're used to.

My suggestion is to new heli flyers - the movements of the controls need to be more precise and response quicker than with planes - if a new flyer hasn't developed a habit yet then it would be best to adopt the pinch method. Not only is it more precise and steady but you are able to tell exactly where the sticks are relative to centre - not so easy with thumbs only.
Some use the pinch method for helis and thumbs for planes - sort of being ambidextrous, I guess. I've even heard of some using thumbs on one stick and pinch on the other.
Regardless, it's worth giving it a fair try to see what works better.

Anyway, my suggestion is serious for those who are finding it tough to control the heli - this 120SR is not a difficult one to control so if you are having some difficulty try the pinch method - it just may give you more precision particularly when hovering.
+1, I started with thumbs on a Blade Scout, then 120sr. When I got my 450 CP it was a different world, after one flight I went to pinch method and never went back. Use what works best for you.
Happy New Year, WS
Wind Spirit is offline Find More Posts by Wind Spirit
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:50 AM
Registered Abuser
Kelowna, BC Canada
Joined Nov 2010
270 Posts
Just to ring in with my experience. I've been flying helis for about 3-4 years now so I think that qualifies me as having some experience to draw on. I don't claim to be a pro (heck, I'm still a pretty marginal pilot compared to many).

Thumbs Vs. Pinch

It's very much just a matter of opinion as to what's better. It's really about what works for you. Many people do find the pinch gives them better control, many also find the same thumbs.

I've heard speculation that those of us that are a part of the gamer generation tend to prefer thumbs because that mimics video game controllers.

there is no definite "right way", it's just about what you're most comfortable with.

Myself? I'm a thumbs guy, tried the pinch and it doesn't work for me.

Again, just like so many things in this hobby (and in this world) it's really just a matter of personal opinion...
Chris.S. is offline Find More Posts by Chris.S.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:05 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnite View Post
Try the pinch method - you'll quickly get used to it and not want to return to thumbs only when flying helis - you can get away with thumbs only for planes but even then pinching the stick is better.
+1 on this.

I learned to fly with thumbs, then learned about the pinch, and noticed that nearly all the top fliers use it, so I changed. I had to basically relearn how to fly a helicopter (and this was back before 3 axis gyros or even 45 degree flybars, so there were a lot of crashes), but it was worth it! You simply cannot fly your best using thumbs, IMO. Many people fly geat with thumbs, butIm pretty sure they could fly better if they just werent so subborn....

You cannnot expect to switch and instantly be a better flier, it doesnt work that way. But it really is worth it...

Want proof? Ask around, and see how many people successfulyl changed from thumbs to pinch and like it better, because now they can fly better. Now look how many people haven changed from pinch to thumbs. (why would you?) I would say none, but of course there are people that have gone from a smartphone back to a dumbphone and like it better.... guess there is no accounting for them.... few and far between as they may be....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:10 PM
Joined Feb 2012
486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Spirit View Post
+1, I started with thumbs on a Blade Scout, then 120sr. When I got my 450 CP it was a different world, after one flight I went to pinch method and never went back. Use what works best for you.
Happy New Year, WS
This really is a matter of both what you are used to, and is very much related to what you haven't tried or given a fair trial to.

You are right in saying that it may not matter much until you get to flying collective pitch with a larger 3D heli. The 400- 450 series are far more difficult to fly - a different world indeed.

I went about all this learning backwards. About 4 years ago, in my ignorance, I thought that learning to fly one of those 400s wouldn't be so hard despite what everyone was telling me. It took a long time just to be able to keep it in one place and during that process there were many crashes and many hours of repair. It taught me a lot - mostly that I was mistaken - this was one of the most difficult things I ever encountered particularly since it was all being done without any previous RC experience, no one to teach me, and with the type of RC flying that was the most difficult. Keep in mind that it was a much larger, more powerful, collective pitch heli with no 3 axis gyros etc. A very different animal from the 120SR.
With experimentation holding the sticks I eventually developed a modified pinch method - forefinger resting across the TX with tip on the base of the stick and the thumb on the top edge of it. This steadied things for me and eventually hovering these beasts became easier. There were benefits to this approach though - despite the steep learning curve I did get to thoroughly learn about flying theory, how to build, repair, and tune helicopters, and many other aspects of RC flying.
After flying and owning a half dozen helis, I haven't been involved with them much for over a year now since I reverted to the easier and more relaxing fixed wing aspect of the sport/hobby.

So, if you're just learning to fly helis, don't do it as I did. The FP 120SR is a great way to start out - better in my opinion then starting with counter-rotators which present a false impression and a need to relearn habits.

Even though many use the thumbs only method on the sticks, there are almost an equal number that use the pinch method or variations thereof. It is more natural to just use thumbs even without being told how to manipulate the sticks. The pinch method requires someone to tell you to hold it that way. Maybe it depends on how they learned, sometimes on physical limitations as well. But - since I learned the hard way and wouldn't like anyone else to the same - take at least one short cut and really give the pinch method a good fair trial - it will take a while to develop a comfort level however, and you may revert to thumbs for some types of flying eventually.
There are many sports and other activities that people do that require breaking a natural habit and relearning a more effective method - skiing for example. If you're shown the more effective method from the beginning, the learning curve and skill development is much quicker and easier.

I won't bother with this topic again. Do it the way that is most comfortable and effective, keep at it and enjoy the experience. Conquering a difficulty and learning new skills is very rewarding - but maybe all this is just preaching to the choir?
midnite is offline Find More Posts by midnite
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:11 PM
Joined Feb 2012
486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
+1 on this.

I learned to fly with thumbs, then learned about the pinch, and noticed that nearly all the top fliers use it, so I changed. I had to basically relearn how to fly a helicopter (and this was back before 3 axis gyros or even 45 degree flybars, so there were a lot of crashes), but it was worth it! You simply cannot fly your best using thumbs, IMO. Many people fly geat with thumbs, butIm pretty sure they could fly better if they just werent so subborn....

You cannnot expect to switch and instantly be a better flier, it doesnt work that way. But it really is worth it...

Want proof? Ask around, and see how many people successfulyl changed from thumbs to pinch and like it better, because now they can fly better. Now look how many people haven changed from pinch to thumbs. (why would you?) I would say none, but of course there are people that have gone from a smartphone back to a dumbphone and like it better.... guess there is no accounting for them.... few and far between as they may be....
I think we have a similar experience.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:41 PM
Joined Feb 2012
486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
... My generation, and even more so, my nieces' generation, already has that muscle memory built into the thumbs from extensive use of game consoles and the xbox style controllers... they have that skill even more than me, they're growing up on it. Have you ever watched teens text with their thumbs on their phones?... it fascinates me every time I see it

I could probably unlearn the thumbs thing and get the pinching down over time, but I know it would be an expensive process... and there's no reason to when what I'm doing works perfectly for me and, like I said, has not only not hurt me in any way but has saved my ass multiple times. Anyone "younger" getting into this stuff probably already has that muscle memory and coordination in their thumbs as well
I hear you - I started my 4 year old grandson off on RC with a car about a year ago - and he's actually pretty good at the controls. However, if youngsters are taught properly they can be incredible.
Maybe you've heard of Justin Jee - his dad started him out at the age of 3 or 4 and he was taught to use the pinch method.
Here's a video of him at 4 years old showing his pinch method use of the sticks at about 1:40 in the video - http://www.darktube.org/watch/4-year...ement-sep-2006

Here's Justin's website with some new videos both of heli flying and planes - quite incredible for a youngster. His 3D flying helis and planes is not hampered in the least by "pinching" the sticks.http://www.justinjee.com/

New flyers should take a lesson from this. Pinching the stick really is far superior for flying helis - and it is actually not just a matter of preference - it's more based on how you learned. Unlearning old habits, as you suggested, is very difficult.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:13 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,362 Posts
[QUOTE=midnite;23694915]This really is a matter of both what you are used to, and is very much related to what you haven't tried or given a fair trial to.

You are right in saying that it may not matter much until you get to flying collective pitch with a larger 3D heli. The 400- 450 series are far more difficult to fly - a different world indeed.

I never said it may not matter much until you get to flying larger heli's. I started with a Blade Scout because it was $50 for everything. It is a great little bird but not for learning how to fly larger heli's. The only reason I got it was because of the price. I read about both methods of using the sticks and at that time thumbs was just easy and worked fine. After a good bit of time I got the 120sr and I used both methods with it but still was not sure which one to go with, it did seem I had better control with the pinch. I wanted a large bird from the start, it was all a money thing, "I have a wife". Long after having the 120 I was able to get the 450. I had no one to teach me to fly and it was like going from a go-cart to a Viper. On one of my first flights with the 450 my thumb sliped,"not good". I did not crash but after that I was sold on the pinch method. Think about it, touch the stick or hold the stick, you will have more control holding the stick.
One thing I have not heard anyone speak of is the use of a lanyard with the TX. For some reason it seems that holding the TX while flying the small heli's is fine. But flying the 450 I have found I have better control using the lanyard. I guess it is because I can concentrate more on the sticks and less on holding the radio.
Another thing to think about is control itself. It seems most dont worry about money and damage with the little birds so when they crash it is no big deal. If you plan on getting a bird 450 or larger all that will change. If you think of the small heli's as if they were large ones it will help to make you a better pilot. WS
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:23 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,815 Posts
Back a while, when I realized that the pros were holding their radios more flatly, I bought a tx stabilizer that--with the lanyard--helps to hold it better. I haven't used it, yet, because right after I put it on, I dropped the radio and had to have it repaired. I'm going back to that now and see what difference it makes.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:02 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
Back a while, when I realized that the pros were holding their radios more flatly, I bought a tx stabilizer that--with the lanyard--helps to hold it better. I haven't used it, yet, because right after I put it on, I dropped the radio and had to have it repaired. I'm going back to that now and see what difference it makes.
I would like to know how that works for you. Look at the last link that Midnite posted about Justin, his TX rig is on the ground in the pic of him and his heli. It would be like having it on a table.WS
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:32 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,557 Posts
I've used a lanyard since day one except for flying the Scout, I didn't know anyone would fly without one. How else would I light my smokes while I'm flying?
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:44 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,362 Posts
Quote:
I've used a lanyard since day one except for flying the Scout, I didn't know anyone would fly without one. How else would I light my smokes while I'm flying?
A "GOOD RC" Wife or Girlfriend would do that for you. WS
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:52 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,557 Posts
With my home recording studio, DSLR cinematography, and using/fixing/modding all my RC stuff there's no time for a GF. And if I had one I probably wouldn't have all that stuff, they're even higher maintenance
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:53 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,815 Posts
Quote:
With my home recording studio, DSLR cinematography, and using/fixing/modding all my RC stuff there's no time for a GF. And if I had one I probably wouldn't have all that stuff, they're even higher maintenance
Oh, I wouldn't say "probably."
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:01 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,362 Posts
Quote:
I hear ya, I just cant get why they dont understand how important all those things are.WS
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:10 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,557 Posts
RCG Plus Member