Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:21 PM
Joined Aug 2011
39 Posts
I started with planes and have only recently moved to helis. I went the Champ to the T-28 to the Beast route, which lots of others have done. I struggled mightily with the Beast until I bought a Twisted Hobbies EPP Edge 540, and after I'd beaten that up (it took a long, long time), the Crack Yak.

Honestly, if I had to do it over again I would have just started with with one of those Twisted Hobbies EPP planes. Yes they are extreme 3D planes, but when you dial down the control throws they are actually very docile and easy to fly. Beginners that I've taught (including my wife) actually preferred the Twisted Hobbies planes on low rates to the champ because it is easier to see and is so much more responsive to control inputs.

The Twisted Hobbies planes are also waaaay more durable than even the champ. It is unbelievable how much of a beating they can take.

Best part is as you get better and more comfortable, you start cranking up the control throws and before you know it you're learning hovering and rolling harriers. You just have to have the self discipline to take the control throws down to about 20% when you're starting out or you'll be in way over your head. Here's the thread for the crack yak: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1578833

Just 2 cents from a guy that's relatively new to this thread.
gavronm is offline Find More Posts by gavronm
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:22 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDude View Post
Buddy, if I had your pension I wouldn't need a job!

And yeah, have to watch out for Bison, wolves, bears... and jackalopes!
But since I have learned to maintain lots of altitude, I haven't hit one!

Tell you what's fun though, buzzing the horses and cows as close as possible.
They take off running like a herd of turtles!!!

Wyoming Cattle Round-up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWvRkUED2HA
ROTFL!!!! I am forwarding this to all my cattle farm relatives!!!!
Saxguy1000 is online now Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:31 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavronm View Post

Honestly, if I had to do it over again I would have just started with with one of those Twisted Hobbies EPP planes. Yes they are extreme 3D planes, but when you dial down the control throws they are actually very docile and easy to fly. Beginners that I've taught (including my wife) actually preferred the Twisted Hobbies planes on low rates to the champ because it is easier to see and is so much more responsive to control inputs.

The Twisted Hobbies planes are also waaaay more durable than even the champ. It is unbelievable how much of a beating they can take.

Best part is as you get better and more comfortable, you start cranking up the control throws and before you know it you're learning hovering and rolling harriers. You just have to have the self discipline to take the control throws down to about 20% when you're starting out or you'll be in way over your head. Here's the thread for the crack yak: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1578833

Just 2 cents from a guy that's relatively new to this thread.
I have had my only successful flying so far on a Twisted Hobbys Crack Pitts Biplane. What you say is so right on, you can dial them down so far as to be very beginner friendly, plus you can fly VERY slowly if you want. The only thing about them is that ( and I find it a plus) you HAVE to use rudder for turns, unlike most planes where you can turn with pure aileron input.
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:20 PM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicjet View Post
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...#quickOverview
Its a 40% bigger msr for 30$ more and just 20$ short of an full size brushless CP SR,not to be cruel...but who will buy it?
This was the original post on this thread. Forecasting is really hard, especially when you're talking about the future.
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:24 PM
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Dec 2011
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicjet View Post
Its a 40% bigger msr for 30$ more and just 20$ short of an full size brushless CP SR,not to be cruel...but who will buy it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pilgrim View Post
This was the original post on this thread. Forecasting is really hard, especially when you're talking about the future.
What's funny to me is that I have all three ! LOL
Brian VT is offline Find More Posts by Brian VT
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:29 PM
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Dec 2011
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
I have had my only successful flying so far on a Twisted Hobbys Crack Pitts Biplane. What you say is so right on, you can dial them down so far as to be very beginner friendly, plus you can fly VERY slowly if you want. The only thing about them is that ( and I find it a plus) you HAVE to use rudder for turns, unlike most planes where you can turn with pure aileron input.
I'm glad you mentioned the bipe. After reading his thread I went to their site.
I like bipes and wondered if it also fit the same "beginner" description. Good to hear. It might be my next plane. I have a few 4-channel planes but I think I should go back to something better to learn with. The T-28 just looks too small and fast for what I want from an aileron trainer. (due respect given to the experts that recommend it)
Brian VT is offline Find More Posts by Brian VT
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:32 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,807 Posts
Having flown them, the biplane is completely different flying than the monoplane like the T-28. The Trojan is not fast with the 1S battery included, but it is the most stable and easiest to take off and land. Small is relative. It stays in the air better in order for you to see it!
Saxguy1000 is online now Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:37 PM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
This sounds so perfect it's got to be done! All you Virginia Beach/Hampton Roads guys can contact me about establishing a flyzone. With property purchase, legal fees, lawn equipment--I think we could arrange to have an acre for about $2000 X 10. Of course, no facilities and we have to chop down trees, make a landing field--that'll be just another $6K. Yeah it's doable!!!
I guess I should have mentioned that I belong to an informal group exactly like the one I described - a 5-acre grass field maintained for our exclusive use with the surrounding 25 acres planted in nice soft low growing beans, no trees (okay one tree just to keep us honest ), no officers, no dues, no meetings, no fund raisers, no mandatory insurance (although we all have at least an AMA Park Flyer card in case we ever visit a less tie-dyed field ), all for $100/yr to help pay for the mowing. Oh, and winter flying at the local hs gym. And a charging station at the field. I don't know how many amps. A lot.

There's no sign and you can't see the field from the road; no one would even know it was there but for the aircraft overhead.

Life just isn't fair, is it?
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
Last edited by 1Pilgrim; Dec 13, 2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:54 PM
Wind you go around in circles
United States, FL, Middleburg
Joined Jan 2012
1,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
It's true...right along with the flying jackalopes.
I would be willing to trade some gator tail for some of those tasty jackalope.WS
Wind Spirit is offline Find More Posts by Wind Spirit
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:16 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,940 Posts
Kyle, you still teasing them there doggies again with your 4X4 before rounding them up

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:31 AM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,137 Posts
A little off topic...the protective cover on my DX6i was taken off and now I have some minor scratches on the screen..what is good to use that will remove the scratches so I can put a new protective cover on it...thanks.
Jake8131 is offline Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:55 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
A little off topic...the protective cover on my DX6i was taken off and now I have some minor scratches on the screen..what is good to use that will remove the scratches so I can put a new protective cover on it...thanks.
Jake, when you say protective cover are you talking about the film over the clear plastic that has the actual LCD below it... that you usually peel off after unboxing? Or are you referring to said clear plastic (film already removed and long gone) as the protector over the LCD?

In other words, which of those parts are you calling the "screen"?

... I've never had any luck buffing scratches out of plastic and tried all kinds of stuff including the kits for fixing up the lenses over car headlights... usually makes things worse (hazy).
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:11 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,940 Posts
Jake, If you google "Plastic Scratch Remover" you'll com up with a slew of hits. Some, are even marine grade. Toothpaste (not gel) works on watch crystals BTW. You could try that first.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:41 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,194 Posts
Yeah, I was gonna suggest toothpaste, a very mild abrasive. But it all depends how deep the scratches are.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:59 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
2,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Spirit View Post
Do you think I will get one? I try to be good.WS
Not sure if you will get one, but I hope you do! Maybe 2 or 3!

BD
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude