HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:40 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDude View Post
ParkZone UM Spitfire Mk IX (a super sweet flying bird)
I've got to get one of these. Right after I get a job.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:47 PM
Joined Jan 2005
657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pilgrim View Post
Really? Why don't you and some friends find somebody with five acres of grass out in the boonies where you don't need to worry about the neighbors?
That's much easier said than done....
grampi is offline Find More Posts by grampi
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:51 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,439 Posts
Quote:
Really? Why don't you and some friends find somebody with five acres of grass out in the boonies where you don't need to worry about the neighbors?
Or... simply move to Wyoming, where a pilot can fly his airplane as far as the eye can see, and nobody asks any questions at all!

I think the range on my Spitfire is about 4 miles... been wanting to test that!
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Last edited by BattleDude; Dec 29, 2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:53 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,359 Posts
Quote:
Or... simply move to Wyoming, where a pilot can fly his airplane as far as the eye can see, and nobody asks any questions at all!

you cannot imagine how I would love that ... but without a way to make money on the computer as opposed to a brick and mortar job this is sadly not going to happen
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E2's canopy thread
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:53 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,842 Posts
Quote:

You might need to kick in something to help out with the mowing, and you might need to appoint the land owner your informal "dictator" so you can agree on some simple guidelines and keep strangers off the property, but no officers, no dues, no meetings, no insurance... what's not to like?

You might even be able to find a nearby high school with an aviation course or two that would be willing to let you use the gym on a weekly basis during the basketball season in exchange for a used airplane & tx or two at the beginning of the school year.

The mowing and used equipment costs are really fees not dues - just a reasonable part of the cost of flying with friends..
This sounds so perfect it's got to be done! All you Virginia Beach/Hampton Roads guys can contact me about establishing a flyzone. With property purchase, legal fees, lawn equipment--I think we could arrange to have an acre for about $2000 X 10. Of course, no facilities and we have to chop down trees, make a landing field--that'll be just another $6K. Yeah it's doable!!!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:55 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,842 Posts
Quote:

Careful... you could hit a bison at 3.7 miles and have to talk to an Indian tribe.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:57 PM
Joined Mar 2009
9,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
Careful... you could hit a bison at 3.7 miles and have to talk to an Indian tribe.
!!!

They have flying bisons in WY??? I DEFINITELY GOT to get there !!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:00 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
!!!

They have flying bisons in WY??? I DEFINITELY GOT to get there !!!
It's true...right along with the flying jackalopes.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:04 PM
Joined Mar 2009
9,359 Posts
Quote:
It's true...right along with the flying jackalopes.
daaaaaaaaing!!!

I REALLY have to learn more about the fauna in this country
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:09 PM
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Dec 2011
537 Posts
Quote:
...I stick with 4 channel only now, and I don't have those "mind-farts" that leave wondering if I need to use left or right stick for the throttle!
That brings up a good point. Even if you go with 3-channel you should probably buy BNF and use a TX that you can put the throttle/rudder on the left and the elevator on the right. I fly my Champ with my DX6i that way.
Brian VT is offline Find More Posts by Brian VT
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:23 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
Joined Aug 2011
3,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
you cannot imagine how I would love that ... but without a way to make money on the computer as opposed to a brick and mortar job this is sadly not going to happen
But... there are brick and mortar jobs here!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:30 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
Joined Aug 2011
3,439 Posts
Quote:
I've got to get one of these. Right after I get a job.
Buddy, if I had your pension I wouldn't need a job!

And yeah, have to watch out for Bison, wolves, bears... and jackalopes!
But since I have learned to maintain lots of altitude, I haven't hit one!

Tell you what's fun though, buzzing the horses and cows as close as possible.
They take off running like a herd of turtles!!!

Wyoming Cattle Round-up:
RC Car Cattle Round-Up (2 min 39 sec)
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:26 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimivee View Post

So, just how "dead-calm" does the air have to be for the small Champ? Literally 0 wind? I know some say the same about the 120SR, and I certainly felt the frustration trying to fly outdoors early on. But, I learned quickly, and it wasn't too long before flying in 5-7mph+ didn't cause too much drama. I would be grounded most days if I could only fly in 0 wind.

Thanks again,
James
I fly mine fairly drama free up to about 11 or 12 km/h which would be about 7 mph. But I have flown it this summer a few times with winds at 20 with occasional gusts to 30 km/h (about 12-18 mph)... it was a challenge but fun... you have to have trained muscle memory under your belt to do it... reactions need to be instinctive... no time to consciously "think" about what your corrective actions are going to be... and I only do it over the farmer's field that's out my back door, thick with crops, just in case ... but it was all good, no crashes... and my landings were like a heli... zero ground seed!
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyZone Sport Cub S BNF
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:32 PM
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jan 2012
10 Posts
Wow, this thread moves fast...

Quote:
Get your butt in here and BS with us!
What do you think I'm doing barging in here totally off topic?!

Quote:
I started on 3 channel helis. No problem.
I then went to the 120SR, and found it a bit difficult to catch on to, because of the different stick inputs(throttle on the opposite side) However, it didn't take long and the 120 felt more comfortable than the 3 channel.

If your the type that can switch back and forth between different modes or channels with no problem, you might start with a 3 channel plane. If your not, and your sure you want to eventually move up to a 4 channel, then you might just bite the big one, like I did and start with 4 channel planes. I took a few knocks at first, with my PZ P-51 Mustang, but it is cheap and easy to repair. I highly recommend starting with a cheap easy to fix plane at first, either way you go, 3 or 4 channel.
Very good points. I think if I had started witha 3-ch heli, I would have wanted to move to 4-ch early on. Which is sorta my concern with 3-ch vs 4-ch planes. That said, the 120sr was a great learner that continues to be fun for me. I'm nothing close to an expert, but I'm comfortable bombing around outside in a breeze, or hovering in a outhouse (okay, I've never tried the latter).

Quote:
I see you must have some age on you, judging by the age of your son. I am 52 and it is far more difficult to train the brain and keep it trained, than it was when I was younger, so I stick with 4 channel only now, and I don't have those "mind-farts" that leave wondering if I need to use left or right stick for the throttle!
Did you just call me old? Perhaps when I mentioned not having touched RC since I was kid, it was confusing. I actually don't have kids myself and am 37 years old. Regardless, I can definitely understand the challenge in flipping back n forth between different control set ups.

Thanks for the feedback. Good food for thought.

James
chimivee is offline Find More Posts by chimivee
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:01 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimivee View Post

Very good points. I think if I had started witha 3-ch heli, I would have wanted to move to 4-ch early on. Which is sorta my concern with 3-ch vs 4-ch planes.

James
In case you missed my saying so, that was my concern as well and found it wasn't so. Was told even if I moved on to 4 channel fairly quickly that I probably wouldn't "shelve" the 3 channels... they were right, planes that are fun to fly are fun to fly, regardless of how many channels.
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyZone Sport Cub S BNF