HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:49 PM
Wind you go around in circles
United States, FL, Middleburg
Joined Jan 2012
1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pilgrim View Post
Gotta have it! Is it cardboard? Where do I find one!

EDIT
OIC - paper. I still want it!
I think this is it. http://www.tdmsoftware.com/tdmmodels/MCPX-MD500.html.
WS Looks like it worked. Here you go my friend.
Wind Spirit is offline Find More Posts by Wind Spirit
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:00 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,368 Posts
Quote:

EDIT
Here is some more I just found that look pretty good.http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1110869&page=4. WS
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:07 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,368 Posts
Quote:

EDIT
Like I said it will work best if you cover inside and out with clear plastic laminate. You can get packs of it cheap at WalMart.
Funny thing is I think it flew better as you saw in my pic than with my xtreme canopy. WS
Last edited by Wind Spirit; Dec 10, 2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:25 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
Okay, I'm not making fun of anyone but me here, but if you are scared to fly your heli indoors, I would like to suggest getting one of these to practice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsMeCMthWLI

Thats wild. Well someone is making money on it, I see it is on back order. WS
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:32 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,236 Posts
Quote:
I haven't tried these Nanos, but I have 6 similar batteries that I am about to adapt to fly. Actually, I'm hoping these work because I can use them on my planes, too.
Sax, did you read my blurb about what I know about them a few pages back?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=16147

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post

As I can no longer get my larger lipos internationally out of the U.S., I was looking at the Turnigy Nanotechs which can ship from HK out of China and really wanted to pull the trigger on some, but, after 2 or 3 days researching them and reading customer reviews I decided to shy away. It might be financially feasible for American customers to send bad ones back if need be to the U.S. warehouse, but for me I'd have to send them back to China which would cost me more than the battery itself. I'm seeing alot of customers getting these batteries DOA or with unbalanced cells that will never correct. Also, a local acquaintance and flying buddy warned me that the Nanotechs aren't even built as well as the regular Turnigy... he has taken them apart.

North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by North_of_49; Dec 10, 2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:59 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Spirit View Post
The frame, tail boom, motors and main board.WS
I thought so. LOL.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:01 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,858 Posts
Quote:
Sax, did you read my blurb about what I know about them a few pages back?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=16147
Yes, North, but you do have access to other 600mah batteries like them. You can probably find these type like these on eBay. These are the ones that I have and will use after I change the adapter: here.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:08 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,236 Posts
Quote:
Yes, North, but you do have access to other 600mah batteries like them. You can probably find these type like these on eBay. These are the ones that I have and will use after I change the adapter: here.
Yeah, I'm not sure, never looked into it. I just know, as popular as they are because they're dirt cheap, I read enough stuff from users to turn me off of the Turnigy brand in general and more specifically the Nanotechs. For myself, it's just too expensive to send them back if they're defective and not worth doing so... so I'd have to just eat it... money wasted. Might be easier for you though as you'd be able to send them back to the U.S. based warehouse I would imagine... and your domestic shipping would be cheap.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX9 HobbyZone Champ RUD>AIL Mix
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:52 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,858 Posts
You know, I've always just bought the cheapest batteries I can and not worry about returning. Even with the worst brands, you still get mostly good ones. When they are cheap, it saves money in postage sending them back.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:19 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,236 Posts
Yeah, that makes sense. Once my batteries get over 15 or 20 bucks I have to start weighing things (figuratively)... decide what kind of hit I can afford to take financially in worst case if things go wrong.

I wonder how long it'll be before shipping lipos domestically within the U.S. becomes severely restricted or outright banned like international shipments out of the U.S. So far it's only USPS. For international customers some places will at least still do it through parcel carriers but the brokerage fees those outfits will rape us with makes it not worth it. The stupid thing is, if I buy a product that comes with a lipo, that's allowed, but if I want an extra battery packaged separately it's banned

Other than buying locally, China is my only feasible option... I wonder for how long? I would have stocked up on the lipos I like if I knew this was coming.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:56 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,368 Posts
Quote:

EDIT
Pilgrim, Another thing that will work well but cost more is photo paper.WS
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:12 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,858 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, that makes sense. Once my batteries get over 15 or 20 bucks I have to start weighing things (figuratively)... decide what kind of hit I can afford to take financially in worst case if things go wrong.

I wonder how long it'll be before shipping lipos domestically within the U.S. becomes severely restricted or outright banned like international shipments out of the U.S. So far it's only USPS. For international customers some places will at least still do it through parcel carriers but the brokerage fees those outfits will rape us with makes it not worth it.
I don't see too much difference in US or Canada on this point. I was trying to purchase some 4s batteries for a new plane and you cannot believe the internet searching I had to do before going back to HobbyKing--in China. I did my best to buy American, but I would have paid 3 or 4 times for what I get overseas.
Quote:
The stupid thing is, if I buy a product that comes with a lipo, that's allowed, but if I want an extra battery packaged separately it's banned
Really?? That's interesting. Never tried this, but there must be some kind of loop hole we could exploit.

Quote:
Other than buying locally, China is my only feasible option... I wonder for how long? I would have stocked up on the lipos I like if I knew this was coming.
I'm still trying to figure out how much has changed compared to what we US dudes are paying? I think we are all screwed.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:33 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,645 Posts
The way I understand it, the whole ban is more so based on the LiPo batteries for cell phones and similar gadgets than it was originally aimed at the RC community.
(This is also the one "justification" where the requirement of the battery being "inside the device" is derived from ... or has anybody ever heard or seen a heli, plane or RC car described as a "device" before, even for legal purposes?? ... to all that I can remember, they were ALWAYS called TOYS)

Also, for the cell phone Lipos in general this ban and the requirement of "being inside the device" also makes a lot more sense, as the contact plates of these batteries often are exposed, which makes it significantly easier to accidentally short them.

The fact that our whole community has to suffer under this ignorance of "lawmakers" who have no idea about the side effects of their ideas when they "design" new laws to justify their existence is just abominable

Anyway, like I said before, this "law" will in the beginning just "criminalize" most RC players, as they will simply ignore it as long as possible and lie when they have to ship batteries (especially "privately", ie NOT from vendors) and once they truly enforce it (without changing it to consider the differences between an RC Lipo and one for a cell phone) they will just slowly but surely kill the whole RC hobby (or at least reduce its "prevalence" immensely ... and then look stupid once they realize how they helped scores of small businesses to cease existing ..

just my 2cents
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tools, Tools, Tools ...
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:44 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,236 Posts
Quote:
I don't see too much difference in US or Canada on this point. I was trying to purchase some 4s batteries for a new plane and you cannot believe the internet searching I had to do before going back to HobbyKing--in China. I did my best to buy American, but I would have paid 3 or 4 times for what I get overseas.

Really?? That's interesting. Never tried this, but there must be some kind of loop hole we could exploit.

I'm still trying to figure out how much has changed compared to what we US dudes are paying? I think we are all screwed.
From what I read on their site, American customers can still get USPS domestic shipments on lipos from hobbypartz.com which is where I was buying my Gens Ace 2S 5000mah batts from until the international ban went into place this summer. The only stipulation for you guys is they can't be shipped domestically by any express method (that would have them put on a passenger plane).... they would go by ground. I think the way parcel carriers are getting around it, even internationally, is they have their own planes... or they go ground.

Hobbypartz (Nitroplanes, Xheli, Raidentech) must be losing a ton of international battery sales over this. It's been interesting (and aggravating) to see what they've done to make up for it... jack the prices on alot of stuff and screw international customers on new hiked shipping rates. I recently went to buy a $8 programming card and a handful of 50 cent braided nylon wire protector mesh sleeves and the shipping came to $15 for $13 worth of stuff that weighs next to nothing. I emptied my cart and added things one by one to see what was going on... each single 49 cent piece of mesh was adding a dollar to my shipping total. I contacted them and asked what happened to the $10 flat rate to Canada and was told "oh, we don't have that anymore." I was then told to change the shipping type from Canada/Alaska/Puerto Rico to USPS International... tried that... it's a Priority only method... shipping went up to $60

... go to h%$#, hobbypartz! Any incentive for me to shop there (great prices, flat rate shipping that I split the cost of with a buddy here in town) doesn't exist anymore. I'll sit back and watch this all backfire on them. I'm buying out of China now from SDSHobby.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by North_of_49; Dec 11, 2012 at 09:01 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:47 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post

Anyway, like I said before, this "law" will in the beginning just "criminalize" most RC players, as they will simply ignore it as long as possible and lie when they have to ship batteries (especially "privately", ie NOT from vendors) and once ...
That's exactly what hobbypartz did. The ban went into effect this past spring but hobbypartz was still shipping lipos internationally through USPS until sometime in July... they must have got caught.
RCG Plus Member