HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:00 AM
Joined Jan 2005
657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Guys, for 40 bucks you can't go wrong with the Thunder AC6. I puts out 5amps. Plugs into A/C wall. With the right cables "I think" it can be taken in the field. I never tried it. This was the charger highly recommended by veteran hobbyist here on RCG. I can charge up to 3, 1300mah batts in parallel. Remember? 3 X 1300 = 3900. Move decimal over 3 and you get 3.9 amps charge rate at 1C. Think of the 1S 550mah batts you'll be able to charge

http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

Here's my favorite link I like to though out on battery management. Quite easy to read and understand. Get used to it

https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...arging-how-tos
To be honest with you all, I'm beginning to think you guys are not even opening this link, reading it, and then put it in faves. To this day, I still refer to it

Mike.
Why should I spend $40 on another charger when I've already got one that will do the job? I just need to buy/make the cables to fit the 1C batteries...
grampi is offline Find More Posts by grampi
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:09 AM
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Dec 2011
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampi View Post
These plugs are common and should be easy to find if one is looking in the right places. Someone's got to know where stuff like these plugs, and the pins that go in them are sold.
They may be common. I've just never seen one for a 1S, but I never looked.
Multi-cell batteries usually come with a plug for the ESC and another for balance charging (they look like they'd plug straight into your charger).
I've never seen a 1S with a separate charging plug. You'll have to figure out how to go from JST to your 1S input. Like I said, the ones I've seen have banana plugs.
I'm sure you can rig something up, though.
Brian VT is online now Find More Posts by Brian VT
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:19 AM
450 Helis Rule!
United Kingdom, England, Saltash
Joined Aug 2012
51 Posts
Deleted! I am talking rubbish again!!!
450man is offline Find More Posts by 450man
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:04 AM
Joined Jan 2005
657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian VT View Post
They may be common. I've just never seen one for a 1S, but I never looked.
Multi-cell batteries usually come with a plug for the ESC and another for balance charging (they look like they'd plug straight into your charger).
I've never seen a 1S with a separate charging plug. You'll have to figure out how to go from JST to your 1S input. Like I said, the ones I've seen have banana plugs.
I'm sure you can rig something up, though.
Unless I'm out in left field here, I believe the DN charger charges and balances through the same plug. The batteries that went in my Edge 540 didn't have two separate plugs, they just had one 3 cell connector (I think). I'll have to look at them to make sure...
grampi is offline Find More Posts by grampi
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:40 AM
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Dec 2011
537 Posts
You'll need to get from JST to the 1 cell outlet on your charger. Is that 1 cell outlet a female for JST (same as on your 120SR) ?
Either way, I haven't seen an "octopus" harness that would plug into that 1 cell outlet. Most have banana plugs. You may have to rig something.

Brian VT is online now Find More Posts by Brian VT
Last edited by Brian VT; Dec 08, 2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:54 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,742 Posts
Quote:
Heli Pad, It looks like you caught me red handed Like Sax was saying, if the manufacturer claims it can be charged at a higher rate...go for it. But this should also be taken with a grain of salt. You know how some battery companies will tout how great their batteries are....right?

Mike.
Oh, I know. I'm one of those guys who have been charging batteries at higher rates. I do pay attention to the manufacturer claims. But I seldom push close to the claims. So, if a Hyperion claims 5C or 6C, I'll do it at 3C. Still, it is quite a bit shorter time than 1C.

I remembered when I first engage the discussion here in this thread, I was reading recommendations of 0.5C or even 0.3C (not Amp)! And when I talked about going over 1C, I felt like that I was breaking the cardinal rule. But now, I'm happy to see that people tried >1C occasionally, and it didn't kill any battery, cause anything to explode, or burn down any houses. Perhaps with time, people would realize the possibilities themselves.

Good for you, Mikey. Have a blessed weekend.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:58 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR120 fan View Post
I don't dispute that for a second. My point being we can ditch fossil fuels altogether. The UK for example has enough off shore wind resource to power the entire eu and before someone says 'yeah but how do you store it' by hydrogen electrolysis. You then burn it in the same turbines used for natural gas and voila. No co2. Norway gets 80% of it's energy from hydro, France 80% from nuclear. Yes we will have to pay more for energy in the early days but with a globalised economy you only have to look at the progress of computer chips and mobile phones to see the costs would soon plummet as technology gets cheaper and cheaper.

The current situation with lithium batteries is a joke. We mine lithium in south America, then send it to China, then send it back again. Not necessary. Again we will have to suck it up and pay more but the planet is looking pretty screwed. I advise everyone to watch' The age of stupid' just stream it (legally of course, wink wink, Pete postlewaite rip is perfect in it) we really are wasting such a valuable resource burning oil when it's used to make pretty much everything. You might not like Al Gore but as an outsider I can tell you what he says is inconveniently the truth

Sorry for going off topic. I am a Pharm student so know my sciences and will have an answer for every 'but' you have lol. Plus electric motors are more powerful then ic, they have 100% torque at all revs, low maintenance. Plug and play, and fully recyclable from the lithium batteries to the engine itself.

Look up low energy nuclear reactions. Ruined by the name cold fusion. They are real, would cost pennies compared to standard nuclear power plants and by the time hot fusion works it will be too late anyway.

So sorry for going off topic. I'm not a tree hugger just love anything electrical. Mainly for the fact electricity is so easily produced, unbelievably useful and of course makes the rc world super awesome

You can always power that monstrosity with ethanol. I have no issues with that
I might as well offer my viewpoint on this nuclear thing.

I agree with 1Pilgrim and any others that say nuclear power is the way to go.

What I don't agree with, is the way so many people want to "preserve" the earth.
They go to so much effort, spend so much money, to preserve the earth, when it is a fact that the earth is not preservable, period.

Our sun is a star, and all stars burn out, as our sun will do eventually, leaving the earth cold, dark and lifeless. And that is, if a meteor does not come along before that and blow the whole thing to bits, which I think is highly likely.

People think so small, because they are nice and comfy in their homes for the time being, and really don't concern themselves about the fact that this planet is not going to be here someday.

What we as a human race need to be doing is developing a nuclear powered spacecraft to travel for years in space, for the purpose of finding another inhabitable planet, or two, or three, or more. We have got to be prepared to to leave this planet, when the need arises.

It would not surprise me at all if the other life forms that have visited our planet from time to time, are powering their spacecraft with nuclear power, or something similar.

If our government would back off on this "safety" issue, maybe some of our brave young brilliant people would have allready have advanced on a project such as this. We are so "safety" oriented in this country that it is almost laughable. George Washington would turn over in his grave if he new how much of a bunch of "wussies" we really are. If a man or woman want's to put their life on the line, and knows the risks of traveling and exploring space, let them do it !!! Don't hold them back, safe or not.

If the human race does not want to go extinct, then a new planet is the only answer, period. End of story.

It is the ONLY answer to the many problems we have here on earth, with people not getting along and fighting and killing. Let them find their own planet if they don't agree with what is going on here.

We are going to spend trillions to preserve the earth for our great, great, great, great grandchildren, just to have it blown up by a meteor or collide with something else out there. Then all that "preserving" is going to be for no reason at all. The people that live on this planet right now are the ones that need the resources. We have people starving, while we "preserve" the planet for future generations. Now that makes alot of sense.

In the meantime we need to focus on conservation, not presevation, to extend the resources for as long as we can, using wind power and such to do so.

Just my 4 cents on that issue!
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Old Dec 08, 2012, 01:10 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,776 Posts
Quote:
Guys, for 40 bucks you can't go wrong with the Thunder AC6. I puts out 5amps. Plugs into A/C wall. With the right cables "I think" it can be taken in the field. I never tried it.

Mike.
Totally agree, I have three of these and I have been completely happy with them.

And Mike you say, "with the right cables", the 12v DC input cables are included in the box. You probaly have not seen them cause of the large number of cables that it comes with, and also like you say, you have never had a need for them yet. But they are in there. They have alligator clips for hooking up to a car battery. I was going to modify one of them to put a cigarette lighter typr plug on the end so I could power it from that type of outlet.

The only cables I have found that it did not come with is the small connector for the Ultra Micro 3.7v batts. I was going to look for some, but I just use the Celectra chargers for the UM batts. I don't feel the need to charge my small 1S batts on a smart charger.

Kyle
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Last edited by BattleDude; Dec 08, 2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:35 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR120 fan View Post

Sorry for going off topic.
I enjoyed learning about the path of lithium. This forum branches out a lot in topics, so you are close enough!
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:36 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian VT View Post
No jacks for banana plugs ? I don't know if you'll find a harness with that type of male end. Of course, you could solder one on.
I've got some. Found them on the net somewhere.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:42 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDude View Post
I might as well offer my viewpoint on this nuclear thing.

I agree with 1Pilgrim and any others that say nuclear power is the way to go.

What I don't agree with, is the way so many people want to "preserve" the earth.
They go to so much effort, spend so much money, to preserve the earth, when it is a fact that the earth is not preservable, period.

Our sun is a star, and all stars burn out, as our sun will do eventually, leaving the earth cold, dark and lifeless. And that is, if a meteor does not come along before that and blow the whole thing to bits, which I think is highly likely.

People think so small, because they are nice and comfy in their homes for the time being, and really don't concern themselves about the fact that this planet is not going to be here someday.

It is the ONLY answer to the many problems we have here on earth, with people not getting along and fighting and killing. Let them find their own planet if they don't agree with what is going on here.

In the meantime we need to focus on conservation, not presevation, to extend the resources for as long as we can, using wind power and such to do so.

Just my 4 cents on that issue!
There is better power for space travel than nuclear. Ion propulsion is one. Nuclear power is a perfect power source for this planet if responsible parties care for it. If everyone treated nuclear power like the Navy does, we wouldn't have any arguments about the good it does.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:06 PM
Wind you go around in circles
United States, FL, Middleburg
Joined Jan 2012
1,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
There is better power for space travel than nuclear. Ion propulsion is one. Nuclear power is a perfect power source for this planet if responsible parties care for it. If everyone treated nuclear power like the Navy does, we wouldn't have any arguments about the good it does.
I was a Army guy but I think our Navy Subs have been nuclear powered for a long time. I think the only thing they have to come up for is food and mail and shore leave. And if I am correct I dont recall hearing of any problems with them.WS
Wind Spirit is offline Find More Posts by Wind Spirit
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:07 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,821 Posts
Kyle, This is what I use. You can charge one or six I love it. My Celectra is collecting dust Besides, charging from a smart charger is more accurate than the cheapo Celectra.

Best 8 bucks I ever spent..

http://helidirect.com/hyperion-6-por...ly-p-18642.hdx

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:08 PM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Sep 2012
510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
The only problem I have with nuclear is that developing countries simply to do not have the funds to build them and instead will resort to coal burning power stations. We need a multitude of options with nuclear at the core, but because ofthe time lag in building them every country should look at what it has available as green resources. As one dude once said 'I have a dream' It involves north Africa supplying pretty much the entire planet with energy from solar mirrors exactly like what they are doing in Spain.
Run cables under the straight of Gibraltar and you are plugged straight into the whole of Europe. They are cheap compared with solar-voltaic panels and with heated salt storage they can generate electricity many hours after the sun goes Down. This way Africa will finally have an income that doesnt involve us just stripping their natural resources. We get clean energy and other countries can use what they have available green wise to add to the grid. All surplus energy will stored easily as hydrogen, perhaps using underground natural structures or just the same way we store natural gas. Forget fuel cells they will never work for the masses as they require the rarest elements on earth to work and are just a decoy by the petrol/car companies to buy themselves a bit more time.

As for what Battle Dude said. Unfortunately I think anyone in a position to make a difference thinks the same and doesn't want to ruin their retirement pot.
SR120 fan is online now Find More Posts by SR120 fan
Last edited by SR120 fan; Dec 08, 2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:21 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,821 Posts
I loaded nuclear rockets (1 per craft) on the F-106 Delta Dart (49th FIS). Hey...I earned my "Pocket Rocket" So I guess I'm pro nuke

Jake should be chiming in any time now. He did time with the 87th FIS and I did time with the 49th FIS. We're kinda like USAF F-106 Brothers

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012