Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:42 PM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian VT View Post
I'm surprised the anti-rotation bracket isn't mentioned more often. That's the really the only part I've had trouble with. Those fingers are really weak.
I replaced the rotor hub and anti-rotation collar with cnc parts while chasing down power-robbing, tbe-inducing friction. They are the only non-stock parts in my "drive train", although I did also switch to the Xtreme bb motor. With these parts, a crack-free main shaft, properly gapped main gear and chopped, tracked and balanced blades my heli purrs like a kitten and flies smooth as glass.
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:47 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampi View Post
I think I have the i...I'll check when I get home from work today...I think we're getting mixed up on the Rx battery thing...I realize the heli only requires one Rx battery to operate, I was referring to getting some spare batteries so I can keep flying while the others are charging.
I think there is confusion here that stems from the term you're using.. "Rx battery" because there are many RCs, usually larger gas/nitro ones, that use a separate dedicated battery to power the receiver (Rx) as opposed to it getting its power from something like a BEC (battery elimination circuit... which can be built into a ESC) ... OR, from the main battery in one way or another... like, in the example of the 120SR, directly via the 5in1 board where the receiver itself is also located.

... so, there are actually "Rx batteries", but they don't apply to the 120SR.
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by North_of_49; Dec 06, 2012 at 05:21 PM. Reason: typos, re-worded
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:54 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.S. View Post

Stay away from the Eflite replacement batteries, they get notoriously bad reviews.

...CS
The old white label ones do and it's deserved in most cases. The higher C new generation blue/yellow label ones get recommended all the time... the small 1S ones I have are also cheap. I even have a video bookmarked somewhere of one delivering more power than an equivalent Hyperion.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:57 PM
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Dec 2011
536 Posts
Quote:
I'm surprised the anti-rotation bracket isn't mentioned more often. That's the really the only part I've had trouble with. Those fingers are really weak.
I misspoke. Very sorry. I meant the anti-rotation collar. That part has the weak "fingers".
I have 5 spares in my kit.
If I ever run out of those, this will be the 1st non-oem part on my 120SR (aside from Hyp.550s and NT 600s).

Brian VT is offline Find More Posts by Brian VT
Last edited by Brian VT; Dec 06, 2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:59 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,408 Posts
irrelevant post deleted
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by North_of_49; Dec 06, 2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:10 PM
Look ma, no hands!
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
Do you suppose this is because the new heli responds so well, or is it because done so many mods to the old one that you had no idea that it weight 2 tons? That's what mine became, 2 tons.
By the time I finished modding and upgrading the new heli it "looked" just like the old one and weighed the same, but it didn't fly at all well with the settings I'd used before.

It flies well in the basement (low and slow) and hovers steady as a rock but when it has more room, i.e. at the gym, fff is really tricky.
Ah well, there's plenty of Wednesday night and Saturday afternoon indoor flying days ahead...
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:17 PM
Look ma, no hands!
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
I misspoke. Very sorry. I meant the anti-rotation collar. That part has the weak "fingers".
If I ever run out of those, this will be the 1st non-oem part on my 120SR (aside from Hyp.550s and NT 600s).
I quickly tired of trying to bend those "fingers" back into shape after every couple of flights. As I recall the inner surfaces could also become rough; the extra friction was a source of tbe.

I never did replace the other collar in your picture; the plastic version seems to work just fine. But beware! If that collar is installed upside down it too will be a source of friction and tbe. There is a tiny ridge on one side that is supposed to ride on the upper bearing.
Last edited by 1Pilgrim; Dec 06, 2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:37 AM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Sep 2012
378 Posts
Quote:
For now I'll probably just go with the RTF...I was just hoping I could use my DX6 Tx as it would be much better than the one that comes with the RTF kit...once I've had the heli for a while I can then decide if this will be a casual thing, or if I'll end up wanting to go full bore into the hobby...
Maybe I was a bit unfair to the stock controller as I'm probably blaming it for a lot of my flying issues when really I was just/am not great on the sticks but the HP6DSM I was given made a massive difference. I found rotating with the stock tx, even when on the toned down mode extremely jerky.
SR120 fan is online now Find More Posts by SR120 fan
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:41 AM
Joined Sep 2012
378 Posts
Quote:

I don't have one original part in one of my 120SRs apart from the main motor! That's not something I'm proud of by the way lol
Last edited by SR120 fan; Dec 07, 2012 at 07:46 AM.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:03 AM
Joined Jan 2005
657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
I think there is confusion here that stems from the term you're using.. "Rx battery" because there are many RCs, usually larger gas/nitro ones, that use a separate dedicated battery to power the receiver (Rx) as opposed to it getting its power from something like a BEC (battery elimination circuit... which can be built into a ESC) ... OR, from the main battery in one way or another... like, in the example of the 120SR, directly via the 5in1 board where the receiver itself is also located.

... so, there are actually "Rx batteries", but they don't apply to the 120SR.
So in this application would it be referred to as the 5in1 battery?
grampi is offline Find More Posts by grampi
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:05 AM
Joined Jan 2005
657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR120 fan View Post
Maybe I was a bit unfair to the stock controller as I'm probably blaming it for a lot of my flying issues when really I was just/am not great on the sticks but the HP6DSM I was given made a massive difference. I found rotating with the stock tx, even when on the toned down mode extremely jerky.
Does the RTF Tx have control adjustments that makes stick inputs more or less touchy?
grampi is offline Find More Posts by grampi
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:05 AM
Joined Sep 2012
378 Posts
Quote:
So in this application would it be referred to as the 5in1 battery?
Just 'the battery' is fine.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:07 AM
Joined Sep 2012
378 Posts
Quote:
Does the RTF Tx have control adjustments that makes stick inputs more or less touchy?
Yes. You can go between two modes by holding down the right stick so the light on the tx changes from constant to flashing. Flashing is less touchy and aimed at beginners.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:13 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR120 fan View Post
Just 'the battery' is fine.
exactly
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:24 AM
Wind you go around in circles
United States, FL, Middleburg
Joined Jan 2012
1,350 Posts
120sr Weight Poll

Hey Guy's, Iam allways reading about people concerned about the weight of there birds so I thought I would start a weight poll. What does your RTF Bird weigh in grams? Please note if your bird is stock, also the battery.

I dont know what a stock 120sr RTF weight is. Mine has many mods, that being said my Bird with a 1300 mah battery comes in at 135 grams. I have plenty of power and she flies great. I have found that the extra weight makes her more stable. Also I have had her over a year, fly often and still using the original motors, main and tail.WS
Wind Spirit is offline Find More Posts by Wind Spirit