SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:09 PM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnite View Post
I've recently bought the Phoenix simulator but have for several years been using RealFlight.

My experience with Phoenix is good for fixed wing aircraft but poor for helis but I only spent a short time with the heli simulation. Based on that RealFlight is much more suitable for helis.

The variations in flying venues is fun and interesting though. Graphics are mostly good except for their renditions of water and water landings. I do like it for playing with the planes I have when weather doesn't permit outside flying. It also lets me do things that would be risky with the real thing without fear of expensive repairs and downtime.]
Doh! Now you tell me. I bought Phoenix just to improve my 120 skills but it's really not much help.

+1 My close encounter of the worst kind with the T-28 is an excellent case in point. I'd experienced the "half mile downwind beyond a tree line" scenario quite a few times on the sim before facing it in real life... all that practice saved the day.
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:40 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,835 Posts
Fly Helis in 10 Easy Steps

Use of the simulator is mentioned here as the first step. Don't completely agree for FPs, but good advice nevertheless.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:51 PM
Joined Nov 2010
321 Posts
Received a Blade 120SR today in a trade. I've been doing land RC for over half my life and a few months ago I ventured in to air. Started off with an Ares Gamma 370 and after getting off to a rough start I picked up a Blade MCX because they pretty much fly themselves and are cheap.

I've flown our demo 120SR and can hover it with the tail boom toward me with the swatch plate on the easier setting.

The one I received had a broken skid plate, split tail boom, and a warped tail rotor. Replaced everything and got it basically trimmed out inside.

Went outside to fly since it seemed to be very calm. Was doing good and was able to compensate for the light wind. There was a strong gust and it ended up smashing my 120SR into the pavement. Turns out it was set to the "advanced" thingy on the swatch plate so I'm switching that back when I install some new blades.
iTz Nicholas72 is offline Find More Posts by iTz Nicholas72
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:54 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,835 Posts
Actually, if you had your links set on the "long balls" on the swashplate, you are better off leaving them there for outdoor use. It helps you to control in a breeze. Just ensure that there is extremely gentle to no wind at all when you are first learning.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:19 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,690 Posts
Yup, don't take it off advanced swash if you're gonna fly it outside... you'll need all the swash authority you can get

... unless it's dead calm out.
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:30 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Yupper. I flew outside a couple times. It was very calm, save for an occasional breeze. But that occasional breeze made it pretty risky. I didnt change to the long links though. When the breeze did come, If I didnt set 'er down quickly she would be 50 yards away before you knew it. I am not an experienced pilot. But in the calm, with all that space! That's alot of fun. I normaly fly now only indoors in a space about 20 by 20 but only 16 x 16 usable airspace I am guessing. (feet)
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:21 PM
Wind you go around in circles
United States, FL, Middleburg
Joined Jan 2012
1,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
Actually, if you had your links set on the "long balls" on the swashplate, you are better off leaving them there for outdoor use. It helps you to control in a breeze. Just ensure that there is extremely gentle to no wind at all when you are first learning.
+1
Hey Sax, Congrats. Army Vet also. WS
Wind Spirit is offline Find More Posts by Wind Spirit
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:24 AM
Joined Feb 2012
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR120 fan View Post
This is definitely something I will need to look into as I wanted it primarily for helis. The only bad thing I heard about phoenix was that the helis weren't that realistic compared with the actual models.

My experience may not be all that accurate since I only played with helis on it for a short time to see what it was like. It could have been that my TX wasn't programmed properly for them but I dunno.
Anyway, with RealFlight and their transmitter the heli simulation was more accurate for me and actually easier to use.

As was also mentioned, I don't like the fact that you have to pay for every upgrade with RealFlight.

I'm really enjoying playing with the Phoenix fixed wing simulations. I find that it is pretty accurate comparison to flying the planes I do have. It's probably a good way to get a preview of how a plane you're thinking of buying will fly. They need more of their more popular models though.
midnite is offline Find More Posts by midnite
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:53 AM
Joined Jan 2005
657 Posts
A friend of mine has the 120 and he let me fly it in his house the other day. I have no heli experience, but I've flown RC planes for years and I actually did a fairly good job flying it...I think I'm gonna get one....
grampi is offline Find More Posts by grampi
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:55 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,835 Posts
Well, this is the place to announce that kind of intent! Feel free to stay on here and ask questions whenever you need help.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:00 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
Well, this is the place to announce that kind of intent! Feel free to stay on here and ask questions whenever you need help.
Sax, you use that phrase much too lightly. We ALL need help....

WITH THIS ADDICTION
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:02 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,835 Posts
Maybe I should restate... Come to this forum whenever you need to commiserate with others who cannot put the helicopter down.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:23 AM
Joined Nov 2010
321 Posts
Well looks like I'm selling my 120SR already. Was talking to a friend who is interested in trying out helis and after he decided that a 120SR was going to be his first heli he made an offer I couldn't refuse.

Looks like I'll be flying the store demo model again after all lol
iTz Nicholas72 is offline Find More Posts by iTz Nicholas72
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:26 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,835 Posts
Ah, shoot... All my helis were used when I bought them. They're good. I also never buy a vehicle new...but, I don't have to put tires on a Blade heli.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:51 PM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Sep 2012
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnite View Post
My experience may not be all that accurate since I only played with helis on it for a short time to see what it was like. It could have been that my TX wasn't programmed properly for them but I dunno.
Anyway, with RealFlight and their transmitter the heli simulation was more accurate for me and actually easier to use.

As was also mentioned, I don't like the fact that you have to pay for every upgrade with RealFlight.

I'm really enjoying playing with the Phoenix fixed wing simulations. I find that it is pretty accurate comparison to flying the planes I do have. It's probably a good way to get a preview of how a plane you're thinking of buying will fly. They need more of their more popular models though.
Well I have taken the plunge. Well at least my wife has as she has just ordered it for me. Let's see if I can get through to Christmas without playing on it. It should look awesome rigged up to our 55 inch tele. It was a wedding gift so don't think we are loaded lol.

I've done the trick already to make the HP6DSM work with it just to see how easy it was and it was dead simple. I love the idea of free upgrades and did give real flight a good looking over but the cost difference couldn't be justified for the time being. I'm excited at having a go on some planes and even using the tuition on there.

My name is Matt. I'm an addict
SR120 fan is offline Find More Posts by SR120 fan
Last edited by SR120 fan; Dec 05, 2012 at 05:03 PM.