HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:19 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
I bought mine used but looks like I got the newer 'Version'. I read the posts about hitting the servo gear and was going to do the mod, but as mentioned, Blade has already addressed that problem. I don't know what other improvements have been made since the original release though.
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:59 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,820 Posts
I noticed that about 6 months ago when I bought new parts. You don't think that HH guys read RC Groups SR 120 thread, do you???
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:10 PM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNH View Post
Ahh, ok, the 80% refers to capacity, not voltage. Well, I'll just stick to a 6 minute flight and be done with it for now I guess, until i get a decent charger. We put an awful lot of thought into 8 dollar batteries
Just to make things even more mysterious... New batteries usually arrive charged for storage, i.e. at about half their capacity. Their life can be extended significantly by not discharging them more than halfway for the first half dozen flights. I fly new batteries a few times for 3 minutes; post-flight voltage is around 3.85V.

And yes, batteries = fun but also batteries = $$$
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:14 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
The supplier that I got a few of my batteries from; RCBabble, instructs you to "break in" the batteries. Lower charge rate and shorter run times for the first few cycles. A good battery that can actualy deliver more current is definitely noticable.
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:18 PM
Look ma, no hands!
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
We picked up a brand new in box never flown 120SR at a yard sale for $50. Flys flawlessly..no problems. It kind of has a few minor differences than my other 120srs. Check were the landing skids go into the frame. Nothing protruding to hit the servo gear!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I just picked up a new bird yesterday; the skid posts appear to be in the same place as on my old one. The posts are shorter though; I won't have to cut them down like I did on the old skids. Maybe that's what's different, shorter skid posts.

Anyway I haven't had any issues with mine, old or new, but haven't had any super hard landings either.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:10 AM
United States, NH
Joined Nov 2012
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pilgrim View Post
I just picked up a new bird yesterday; the skid posts appear to be in the same place as on my old one. The posts are shorter though; I won't have to cut them down like I did on the old skids. Maybe that's what's different, shorter skid posts.

Anyway I haven't had any issues with mine, old or new, but haven't had any super hard landings either.
That's what Jake was pointing out, the shorter posts.
DaveNH is offline Find More Posts by DaveNH
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:12 PM
Look ma, no hands!
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNH View Post
That's what Jake was pointing out, the shorter posts.
OIC it was late and my brain had already checked out and turned in.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:19 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,205 Posts
Quote:
OIC it was late and my brain had already checked out and turned in.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:23 PM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Sep 2012
396 Posts
I'm going to try and get a proper flight in tomorrow weather permitting. I haven't flown in so long I will have to make sure there are no trees in the vicinity.
SR120 fan is offline Find More Posts by SR120 fan
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:37 PM
Look ma, no hands!
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
I hear ya... got my new bird in the air at the gym last night after a two-month hiatus (early bird died of a fried board) and had a dickens of a time, white knuckles all the way through 4 batts. Finally got it fine-tuned in the basement today, but am still too chicken to take it outside on high rates. Good luck and good flying!
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:49 PM
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Dec 2011
536 Posts
I just got an MSR to fly indoors. Very similar behavior, good practice with less chance of breaking stuff, and lots of fun.
I still prefer the 120, but I don't bother with that one in the house.
Brian VT is offline Find More Posts by Brian VT
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:54 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian VT View Post
I just got an MSR to fly indoors. Very similar behavior, good practice with less chance of breaking stuff, and lots of fun.

My rotor head is all CNC parts...you wouldn't believe how these parts together cut down on vibrations and noise, plus flys much better too.
One thing about flying the mSR indoors, battle damage to your belongings is a lot less than with the 120SR.
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:48 PM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Sep 2012
396 Posts
Quote:
I hear ya... got my new bird in the air at the gym last night after a two-month hiatus (early bird died of a fried board) and had a dickens of a time, white knuckles all the way through 4 batts. Finally got it fine-tuned in the basement today, but am still too chicken to take it outside on high rates. Good luck and good flying!
I ended just flying very very carefully in the garden. Which I said I wouldn't do again as I wrote off my first 120 SR flying inside and in the garden but since I've been using the HP6DSM that Battle Dude sent me I have so much more control. I'm still tippy toeing around though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian VT View Post
I really wanted an MSR but there weren't any around at the time so I went with the mCX2 which I definitely don't regret as it's so much fun but I am having a few issues with it at the moment even though it has hardly any miles on it.
I will definitely get an MSR when they are available again where I am.
SR120 fan is offline Find More Posts by SR120 fan
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:23 PM
Look ma, no hands!
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR120 fan View Post
I ended just flying very very carefully in the garden. Which I said I wouldn't do again as I wrote off my first 120 SR flying inside and in the garden but since I've been using the HP6DSM that Battle Dude sent me I have so much more control. I'm still tippy toeing around though.

I really wanted an MSR but there weren't any around at the time so I went with the mCX2 which I definitely don't regret as it's so much fun but I am having a few issues with it at the moment even though it has hardly any miles on it.
I will definitely get an MSR when they are available again where I am.
The MCX2 is a fun little coax but after tooling around with the 120 I find the little guy way too slo-o-o-w. Plus it has that nasty habit of getting stupid and falling down drunk whenever it makes a hard left turn. Anyway I finally got the new 120 tuned up for flying in small spaces (basement room approx. 15'x 15'x 7'); now it's back to the gym!

I use a separate 120 SR model on the dx6i for small places and another one for wide open spaces since it takes such a different combo of mixes to handle constant turning vs long straightaways.
Last edited by 1Pilgrim; Nov 30, 2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:35 PM
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Dec 2011
536 Posts
Quote:
The MCX2 is a fun little coax but ...it has that nasty habit of getting stupid and falling down drunk whenever it makes a hard left turn.
I'm the same way ! I'm fine going right, but can't go left. I've been advised, by she who is smarter than me, that I should stick to beer and avoid the Bushmill's.
Brian VT is offline Find More Posts by Brian VT