Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:57 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,805 Posts
Good deal, Dave! You must have a good size room or you have kept all your skills! The SR 120 is good for honing the reflexes and I believe is one of the best trainers.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:08 AM
United States, NH
Joined Nov 2012
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
Good deal, Dave! You must have a good size room or you have kept all your skills! The SR 120 is good for honing the reflexes and I believe is one of the best trainers.
I think alot of it is the heli! It's pretty easy to fly. Once I overcame the jitters and got it a couple feet in the air and out of the rotor wash it was pretty easy to control. The room isn't too big, maybe 12x14 with 8 foot ceilings, and obstacles like my 40" TV
DaveNH is offline Find More Posts by DaveNH
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:12 AM
Joined Jan 2012
482 Posts
He He OT I am rocking the boat. I don't want to start a war but here are my obsverations. I have both a SR120 and a MSRX and I fly them indoors in an area about the size of a basketball court. For reflexes I vote for the MSRX. I use a dx6i which I have set up for each model. I am still experimenting with setups so there is more to learn. Still the MSRX is faster and more fun. If noone wants to comment I will go back in my hole and fly.
freezywilly is offline Find More Posts by freezywilly
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:14 AM
United States, NH
Joined Nov 2012
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezywilly View Post
He He OT I am rocking the boat. I don't want to start a war but here are my obsverations. I have both a SR120 and a MSRX and I fly them indoors in an area about the size of a basketball court. For reflexes I vote for the MSRX. I use a dx6i which I have set up for each model. I am still experimenting with setups so there is more to learn. Still the MSRX is faster and more fun. If noone wants to comment I will go back in my hole and fly.
Faster isn't necessarily a good thing for a novice
Especially for those that don't have a basketball court to fly in.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:17 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,884 Posts
@hereathome Did you get into a situation where you broke a blade or just whacked the blades real hard? If so,,,...I'm now thinking a bad feathering shaft (or main shaft). The feathering shafts are cheap, easy to install and makes a world of difference. Don't bother with a roll test because it's too short to see any bend. In fact, just a "minuet" (sp) bend (naked to the eye) and it is junk. Just change it out along with the "O" rings. They too can crack on a hard impact. Check your main shaft by holding the large gear with one hand. With the other hand twist the top rotor gently CW & CCW. The shaft should feel solid. If it feels "spongy" or "mushy" and not solid, chances are your main shaft is splintered. BTW, It's normal for the 120SR to have a little right drift on a FF command. The rest of your story sounds like what my heli was demonstrating with a bad feathering shaft or main shaft.

Here's a little trick from Pilgrim1 which I was surprised he didn't mention. Use your manual and stick it under the left skid (looking from rear). On take-off she'll pop right straight up and not to the left side as it usually does/will. I use a 8" piece of lathe from the old plaster and lathe walls (about 3/8" thick).

Thus far, you still made no mention of polishing the balls or doing a blade balance What's up

@DaveNHwelcome to the thread and back into the hobby. Yeah I heard those HB's were a son of a gun

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Last edited by Chap1012; Nov 27, 2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:35 AM
United States, NH
Joined Nov 2012
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post

@DaveNHwelcome to the thread and back into the hobby. Yeah I heard those HB's were a son of a gun

Mike.
Yeah, I never got it more than a foot or so off the ground, and it usually ended up costing me in spare parts, finally gave up and figured I just wasn't gonna get it.

The 120 is a blast, so it seems I wasn't the entire problem on the first go round
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:46 AM
Joined Mar 2008
10,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNH View Post
Yeah, I never got it more than a foot or so off the ground, and it usually ended up costing me in spare parts, finally gave up and figured I just wasn't gonna get it.

The 120 is a blast, so it seems I wasn't the entire problem on the first go round
The 120SR is a beautiful flyer. As you probably know by now, if you just release the right stick she will just go into a hover. Here's a clip from back in April. Gotta love my landing at the end
Mike.

120SR at VFW 2.AVI (2 min 35 sec)
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:18 AM
United States, NH
Joined Nov 2012
72 Posts
I wish I had that kind of space to fly in! Nice landing

One question, which may have been answered somewhere in these 1000+ pages. When the LED on the heli starts flashing for low battery, is that past the point that I should be discharging it? Should I time my flights rather than waiting for the low battery light? Don't want to damage my lipo's
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:48 AM
Joined Mar 2008
10,884 Posts
No matter what I fly, I always time my flights. I think my DX6i is set for 6 minutes for the 120SR. Wifey is napping and she hates the beeping noise, otherwise I'd check now If it's anything other than 6 minutes I'll edit. Anyway, this usually puts it well within the 80% rule.

I don't think I have ever waited until the LVC started to blink. Unless there is something wrong but, never happened.

Mike.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:58 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,805 Posts
That's a hotly debated question with opinions abounding. I never let my batteries go to red if I can help it. Mike's got a good link to the 80% use model.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:48 AM
United States, NH
Joined Nov 2012
72 Posts
The DX5e doesn't have a timer, guess I'll have to use a stop watch. I usually get about 7.5 minutes till the low battery alert. A DX6i is on the want list but I got the 5 due to it being $100 cheaper and all I need at the moment for FP.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:59 AM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
2,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pilgrim View Post
It helped me early on compare the fp helicopter to the load under a bridge crane.

Picture the heli hanging from a string about 20' long with you and the tx controlling the heli from the top of the string. When you move a little ways in any direction it takes the heli a while to start moving with you. Then if you stop too quickly the heli will continue to move past you until it starts to swing back under you - the "pendulum effect". After that the heli will just keep swinging back and forth until it finally comes to rest.

To eliminate the "unplanned" swinging you have to gradually slow down until the top of the string is directly over the heli; this will allow the heli to come to a stop without continuing to swing. If you pull back too far or too fast the heli will just start swinging in the other direction. With a little practice it is possible to move the heli smoothly in any direction and stop it without the extra swings.
There is also an alternate method to accomplish this.

My brain has learned to compensate for this pendulum swing, by applying opposite stick at just the correct "split second" before the swing starts to happen.

It takes pretty good timing and "hand to eye" coordination, but it works if a pilot can learn to do it.

I still say the best place to maiden the 120 is inside a large building such as a gym. That way, if the bird can be brought to a stable "hands off" hover, then we know that what the pilot is experiencing in his flight, is either #1 - the natural tendency of the 120, or #2 - A pilot induced motion.

The outside wind plays funny tricks on pilots minds and their heli's. It is even more so with a pilot who wants to hover. Flying the the machine with lots of forward speed, reduces the effects of the wind pushing it around. Hovering increases it.

hereathome, it does sound like you may have a problem with yours. I am keeping in mind that I am not watching your heli in the video you posted, so I couldn't say for sure. To me, the one in the video looks like it is flying normal, as the pilot is able to bring it to a stable hover at times, for a second or two.

My suggestion would be to try flying it in a large indoor area to eliminate any effect from the breeze. If you can't bring it to a stable hands-off hover you have a problem. At that point with the heli being new, I would makes sure that HH makes it right with you.
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:35 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNH View Post
The DX5e doesn't have a timer, guess I'll have to use a stop watch. I usually get about 7.5 minutes till the low battery alert. A DX6i is on the want list but I got the 5 due to it being $100 cheaper and all I need at the moment for FP.
I use the timer in the DX8, but a lot of times I prefer setting my watch or another timer. Reason is that I know my batteries and I would set them for the appropriate amount of time for each. On the Tx I always just go with the set time because its a pain to keep changing.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:49 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,805 Posts
Quote:
My brain has learned to compensate for this pendulum swing, by applying opposite stick at just the correct "split second" before the swing starts to happen.
That's what I do, too. The trick to flying is--oddly--not to hover, but to stay in control. Staying in motion is what this bird wants to do. I often move the battery forward so that the cg continues to pull the heli forward. It eliminates most the pendulum deal, but it also cuts ballooning and bites into the wind better (IMHO). When I hover indoors, I have low dual rates to avoid over compensation and I put the cg back level. Works super for me.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:36 PM
Joined Mar 2008
10,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
That's a hotly debated question with opinions abounding. I never let my batteries go to red if I can help it. Mike's got a good link to the 80% use model.
Sax, you surprise me. I thought you might have this website in your faves

I refer to this website all the time. It was just yesterday I was brushing up on parallel charging...
https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...arging-how-tos

Oh Boys...Mikey is getting a new toy tomorrow. My Bud Sonny and I will be picking up his new Carbon Cub tomorrow at the LHS and he is gonna buy me the Super Cub that I've had my eye on.
http://secure.hobbyzone.com/HBZ7380.html

Lets just say it's a "lay-away" plan I know, I know, it's just a 3 channel but, I can add ailerons later for about 60 bucks. At first, I wanted one of those fancy azz WW II fighters with all the bells and whistles until a good member here brought me back down to earth

BTW, if you guys watch my vid again you'll see I go into a hover many times. Not for long but, it's rock solid (i believe it was a dead stick). As far as applying opposite stick...either I can't recall OR it just comes natural. If you have time, some feedback on my vid would be appreciated as I maybe missing something

Mike.