HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:33 AM
Joined Jun 2012
90 Posts
Thanks for the responses. While it does not look that bad on the video, what I am seeing is a lot of floating, drifting, or whatever even while flying. It's a lot worse in real life since it doesn't respond very well. If I am turning one way and try to turn it another direction it really drifts away from the intended direction and takes a while until it goes where intended. I had a similar drifting around, TBE problem with one of my other fixed rotor four channel and it was a real pain to fly, to the point of being dangerous to itself. On that unit I replaced the rotors and then it behaved and was really fun to fly.

I called Horizon twice and was pretty disappointed. They said I had to either send it to them or buy parts at my expense, even though I had only had run it twice and it was only a day old. Their responses on the phone were pretty curt and they didn't seem very interested in solving the issue. I didn't get an answer to two emails either. I expected good customer service, oh well. I was really surprised by their attitude and lack of customer service. First and last HH product for me I think.

I don't know how to check the blade or flybar balance. I would be very grateful if you could explain how to do that. Thanks again.
hereathome is offline Find More Posts by hereathome
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:29 AM
Wind you go around in circles
United States, FL, Middleburg
Joined Jan 2012
1,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
Yes, you have
I was told that as you get older three things happen. 1. You start to lose your memory, and I dont remember the other two. Thats my story and I am sticking to it.WS
Wind Spirit is offline Find More Posts by Wind Spirit
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:32 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind spirit View Post
i was told that as you get older three things happen. 1. You start to lose your memory, and i dont remember the other two. Thats my story and i am sticking to it.ws
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:00 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereathome View Post

I don't know how to check the blade or flybar balance. I would be very grateful if you could explain how to do that. Thanks again.
In general, unbalanced blades will cause problems. This is the first thing I do when I get a pair of new blades. Click on my user name to access my blog. Scroll down and you'll see a tutorial on blade balancing. You'll need an extra set of blade grips. Check your blades first.

If the blades look good you'll have to remove the flybar to check the balance on that. Lets cross that bridge when we get to it. But, you can "eyeball" the flybar to insure the paddles are equal (IE: one paddle is not curved down as opposed to the other and the bar going across is straight).

Did you polish and lube the balls and as I suggested? If you don't have plastic friendly lube, nose lube will work just fine. Nose lube!!!!????? That is the sweat between your nose and face

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:24 AM
MCX2..120SR..NCPX..MQX..D X7s
United States, OR, Salem
Joined May 2012
45 Posts
LOL...thought ya' were talking about snot there for a moment Chap !
23DM is offline Find More Posts by 23DM
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:24 AM
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Dec 2011
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
If you don't have plastic friendly lube, nose lube will work just fine.
...or the graphite from a pencil.
Brian VT is online now Find More Posts by Brian VT
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:12 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post

Did you polish and lube the balls and as I suggested?

Mike.
'thought I was in the wrong forum there for a second

North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:48 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by north_of_49 View Post
'thought i was in the wrong forum there for a second

:d
Ha, ha, ha. North, c'mon now
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:19 PM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereathome View Post
I just bought a 120SR RTF after months of reviewing helis. I was really excited, until it lifted off for the first time. It acted like it was a pendulum moving several feet back and forth, went in circles (toilet bowl effect), and didn't follow the input from the remote very well. I have only had it in the air a few times and then it was pretty much just to trim it. It acts like the 120 in this you tube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=bW4At9fPCq4#!
I tried rebinding it to the transmitter, tightening and loosening the screws in the blade grips, but nothing seems to help. Any suggestions what to look at next? I ordered a Rackon CNC flybar in hopes that will help. Thanks for any help.
IMHO the heli appears to be flying normally. The pendulum effect appears to be pilot-induced and the TBE may actually be the heli banking right when in forward flight due to asymmetrical lift. The stock kid-size, no-mix tx doesn't help much. You might want to give it a few more flights until your thumbs start to compensate for the vagaries of this single rotor fixed pitch heli.
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:03 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pilgrim View Post
IMHO the heli appears to be flying normally. The pendulum effect appears to be pilot-induced and the TBE may actually be the heli banking right when in forward flight due to asymmetrical lift. The stock kid-size, no-mix tx doesn't help much. You might want to give it a few more flights until your thumbs start to compensate for the vagaries of this single rotor fixed pitch heli.
I agree with Pilgrim. I have been on a soap box many times on this forum with this theme of pilot-induced. We tend to over compensate for movement and call the opposite and equal reaction as "unusual." The SR120 is HH's initial attempt to bridge the gap from small FP heli to a CP. Unlike some of Solo Pro's helis, it doesn't hover perfectly unless the pilot learns a few things of how to control it. I would suggest flying in small circles or ovals about 5-15 feet off the ground. Go slowly and increase the speed each battery flight. Reverse direction. Once you master forward flight, fly backward and aileron left and right, too. Once you've mastered all these flights, you will find that hovering becomes a lot easier, too.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:57 PM
Wind you go around in circles
United States, FL, Middleburg
Joined Jan 2012
1,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
I agree with Pilgrim. I have been on a soap box many times on this forum with this theme of pilot-induced. We tend to over compensate for movement and call the opposite and equal reaction as "unusual." The SR120 is HH's initial attempt to bridge the gap from small FP heli to a CP. Unlike some of Solo Pro's helis, it doesn't hover perfectly unless the pilot learns a few things of how to control it. I would suggest flying in small circles or ovals about 5-15 feet off the ground. Go slowly and increase the speed each battery flight. Reverse direction. Once you master forward flight, fly backward and aileron left and right, too. Once you've mastered all these flights, you will find that hovering becomes a lot easier, too.
+1.WS
Wind Spirit is offline Find More Posts by Wind Spirit
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:27 PM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
It helped me early on compare the fp helicopter to the load under a bridge crane.

Picture the heli hanging from a string about 20' long with you and the tx controlling the heli from the top of the string. When you move a little ways in any direction it takes the heli a while to start moving with you. Then if you stop too quickly the heli will continue to move past you until it starts to swing back under you - the "pendulum effect". After that the heli will just keep swinging back and forth until it finally comes to rest.

To eliminate the "unplanned" swinging you have to gradually slow down until the top of the string is directly over the heli; this will allow the heli to come to a stop without continuing to swing. If you pull back too far or too fast the heli will just start swinging in the other direction. With a little practice it is possible to move the heli smoothly in any direction and stop it without the extra swings.
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:21 AM
Joined Jun 2012
90 Posts
I will certain be the first to say that some of the problem may be me. Again, it does not compare to any four channel fixed I have flown before. I have been simply trying to hover to trim it and get used to it's characteristics. So enough is enough and I decided just to fly the thing. I went up about 10 feet while it circled, went backwards and forwards generally misbehaving with just an "up" input then I simply pushed the right stick forward. It did go forward for a little while, the nose went up, then it went off to the right, then backwards, ultimately nose diving into the ground. I was very carefully only to use the forward stick without and side to side activity. It was going backwards with the stick pointed forward then off to the right, then descended and did a nose dive. There is no way to trim it that I can see. A forward stick yields all kind of random activity. I turn on the remote, let it sit five seconds, then put the battery in the heli and sit it down immediately until the red led comes on. I doubt I am causing it go right, backward, and nose dive with just a forward motion input. I am beginning to think the gyro is bad. Just lifting it straight up for five feet and with no other input it will do its own thing, up, down, sideways, spirals, forward, back and iultimately crash. Any one think it may be a board problem?
hereathome is offline Find More Posts by hereathome
Last edited by hereathome; Nov 28, 2012 at 06:29 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:27 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,835 Posts
It may be worth the shipping to send it back to HH. They really will solve the problem and that is often by replacing the whole heli. They are good folk despite what you encountered on the phone. I've had those kind of calls, too, and they don't support very well on email. You have to wait forever to get a response. I say pay the $20 to mail it to them and you will will be much happier when you get it back. It may be about 3 weeks, but they pay the return shipping.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:55 AM
United States, NH
Joined Nov 2012
72 Posts
Hey all, new to the forum. Just bought one of these to get back into the hobby. I had a larger FP electric a couple years ago but couldn't get the hang of it, don't recall which one, it was the cousin of the old HoneyBee back then. I decided to pick this up (along with a DX5e) to try again, and it's small enough that I can fly inside. Within a couple days I was able to hover and maneuver around the living room, many flights I can stay up for the entire battery

Seems to be a great little heli and parts are cheap, amazingly I haven't broken anything yet but I have lost the nose in skills, been practicing that on a sim. I hope to advance to a CP model and a DX6i next summer if money allows. Happy flying!
DaveNH is offline Find More Posts by DaveNH