HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:03 AM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pilgrim View Post
Hate to bring everyone down on a holiday weekend, but my 120's been grounded since last Tuesday with what sounds like a bad esc.

I wanted to take my batts down for storage last week before heading out of town. After doing the first few the boring way (charger) I decided to try flying a few of them for 3 minutes each. My scatter diagrams showed that at three minutes the voltage would be down to around 3.85V. It should have worked, but...

The first flight was fine but a minute or so into the second flight the heli went to full throttle and pinned itself to the basement ceiling! I tried everything I could think of, even turning off the tx, but to no avail - the li'l dickens just kept bouncing off the ceiling like an oversized crane fly. I reached up and grabbed it and had my wife hold it by the skids while I disconnected the battery. She was not amused.

After flushing the adrenaline out of my system I turned on the tx and loaded up a fresh batt. The heli responded normally to swash and tail rotor inputs but the main motor only answered the call intermittently, maybe 30% of the time. I could hear a high-pitched whine whenever the throttle was advanced, even when the main motor wasn't responding.

Is there a fix for this or do I need a new board or could it be something else entirely?
I think it sounds like a circuit fail on the board, myself. I can't picture in my mind, anything else it could be.
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:52 PM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
That would be horrible if it happened outside! You would lose it. I fly mine outside whenever the weather is ok, (no wind).
Yeah, it's too cold and windy here so we're back indoors for the winter. I had 12 good flights at the gym the previous Saturday. It would've been quite a show if the heli had gone to full throttle and started banging its head on that high ceiling!

I'm gonna look for burn marks on the board and maybe apply some alcohol with a Q-tip. If I can't resurrect the board I may decide to spring for a whole new heli - this one has well over 500 flights on it in the past 18 months.
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
Last edited by 1Pilgrim; Nov 25, 2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:23 PM
Look ma, no hands!
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
I took off the canopy, head and pushrods then disconnected the main and tail motors and removed the brick leaving the shaft, main gear and motor installed on the heli.

Plugging the battery directly into the main motor did spin the motor and shaft - so far so good.

Turning on the tx and plugging the battery into the brick did bind the brick to the tx and allow the swash servos to function - so far so better.

Plugging the main motor into the brick did allow the main motor to respond to throttle inputs - more joy, but it only lasted until the next step.

Aye, but here's the rub. Plugging the tail motor into the brick allowed the tail rotor to respond to stick inputs (throttle and rudder) but the main motor no longer responded to the throttle through the brick; now it only runs when plugged directly into the battery.

There are no traces of burn marks on the board and I never detected any electrical smells; even so it looks as though something is definitely wrong with the board. My lhs quotes $65 US for a new one; anybody have a cheaper source?
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:51 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,301 Posts
Quote:
I took off the canopy, head and pushrods then disconnected the main and tail motors and removed the brick leaving the shaft, main gear and motor installed on the heli.

Plugging the battery directly into the main motor did spin the motor and shaft - so far so good.

Turning on the tx and plugging the battery into the brick did bind the brick to the tx and allow the swash servos to function - so far so better.

Plugging the main motor into the brick did allow the main motor to respond to throttle inputs - more joy, but it only lasted until the next step.

Aye, but here's the rub. Plugging the tail motor into the brick allowed the tail rotor to respond to stick inputs (throttle and rudder) but the main motor no longer responded to the throttle through the brick; now it only runs when plugged directly into the battery.

There are no traces of burn marks on the board and I never detected any electrical smells; even so it looks as though something is definitely wrong with the board. My lhs quotes $65 US for a new one; anybody have a cheaper source?
Spend the extra $$ and get a BNF and use your old one for spare parts.
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:16 PM
Look ma, no hands!
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
Spend the extra $$ and get a BNF and use your old one for spare parts.
Definitely leaning that way, especially with the indoor season just starting. I learned so much from my first heli that it'd be fun to mod and upgrade a brand new one. Anybody know if the new ones are still identical to the original?
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:52 PM
Joined Apr 2010
865 Posts
My son finally destroyed his tail motor after about 3 months of flying. But I decided to ditch replacing it and have him work on my old walkera v120D01 as preparation for a CP heli-- the V120D01 is fixed pitch, but does not have that much self stabilization and is a great trainer for a CP. Unfortunately, that heli has been discontinued by Walkera, but I have enough spares to keep him airborn for awhile.

I wish Blade would enable a good intermediate/transitional FP heli in the 120 size (like the MSRx...)

Chief
BHChieftain is offline Find More Posts by BHChieftain
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:25 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,851 Posts
Quote:

Do you mean that the main motor was functioning properly before you plugged in the tail motor? I've had this happen and replacing the tail motor solved my problem. Sometimes, when the tail motor gets fried, it takes away amps from the main motor. Try another tail motor before buying a whole new one.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:13 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,912 Posts
Quote:
Do you mean that the main motor was functioning properly before you plugged in the tail motor? I've had this happen and replacing the tail motor solved my problem.
Had the same problem on my MSR and a tail motor fixed it.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:42 PM
Joined Jun 2012
90 Posts
Erratic flight

I just bought a 120SR RTF after months of reviewing helis. I was really excited, until it lifted off for the first time. It acted like it was a pendulum moving several feet back and forth, went in circles (toilet bowl effect), and didn't follow the input from the remote very well. I have only had it in the air a few times and then it was pretty much just to trim it. It acts like the 120 in this you tube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=bW4At9fPCq4#!
I tried rebinding it to the transmitter, tightening and loosening the screws in the blade grips, but nothing seems to help. Any suggestions what to look at next? I ordered a Rackon CNC flybar in hopes that will help. Thanks for any help.
hereathome is offline Find More Posts by hereathome
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:02 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,522 Posts
That doesn't look too bad to me. Pop off each link one at a time and polish the balls with a piece of paper bag. Lube the balls with a plastic safe lube (i use Break Free CLP). Insure the flybar is straight,,..do this by eye. Carefully bend to shape. Your heli is demonstrating a flybar problem.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:41 AM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereathome View Post
I just bought a 120SR RTF after months of reviewing helis. I was really excited, until it lifted off for the first time. It acted like it was a pendulum moving several feet back and forth, went in circles (toilet bowl effect), and didn't follow the input from the remote very well. I have only had it in the air a few times and then it was pretty much just to trim it. It acts like the 120 in this you tube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=bW4At9fPCq4#!
I tried rebinding it to the transmitter, tightening and loosening the screws in the blade grips, but nothing seems to help. Any suggestions what to look at next? I ordered a Rackon CNC flybar in hopes that will help. Thanks for any help.
Looks to me like a cracked main shaft causing the shaking.
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:28 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,965 Posts
Quote:
Hate to bring everyone down on a holiday weekend, but my 120's been grounded since last Tuesday with what sounds like a bad esc.

I wanted to take my batts down for storage last week before heading out of town. After doing the first few the boring way (charger) I decided to try flying a few of them for 3 minutes each. My scatter diagrams showed that at three minutes the voltage would be down to around 3.85V. It should have worked, but...

The first flight was fine but a minute or so into the second flight the heli went to full throttle and pinned itself to the basement ceiling! I tried everything I could think of, even turning off the tx, but to no avail - the li'l dickens just kept bouncing off the ceiling like an oversized crane fly. I reached up and grabbed it and had my wife hold it by the skids while I disconnected the battery. She was not amused.

After flushing the adrenaline out of my system I turned on the tx and loaded up a fresh batt. The heli responded normally to swash and tail rotor inputs but the main motor only answered the call intermittently, maybe 30% of the time. I could hear a high-pitched whine whenever the throttle was advanced, even when the main motor wasn't responding.

Is there a fix for this or do I need a new board or could it be something else entirely?
Sounds like a fried FET. I've discussed it here more than a few times and relatively recently. I bought mine in that condition on the cheap last winter. It's more common with the 120 than we'd like it to be.

Bought my new board from valuerc on ebay for a little over $40 at the time. Guys buy 120's and part them out.
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyZone Sport Cub S BNF
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:35 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
That would be horrible if it happened outside! You would lose it. I fly mine outside whenever the weather is ok, (no wind).
It's happened to more than a few people I know of with this specific bird.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:36 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Spirit View Post
Hi, I have not heard of this problem before, :
Yes, you have
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:39 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,851 Posts
I would not use a Rakon flybar, yet. The SR120 works best with stock parts. When you start modifying, you begin to incur 2nd and 3rd order of problems that you will not understand. I know--that's how I started out in this hobby!

Check what Mike says about smooth functioning links, and that your flybar and main blades are tracking perfectly. If you do not know how to do that, let us know, we can help. Check that the tail boom is not cracked or loose. If everything is in order, your gyro may be off and you should contact Horizon Hobby. They back their products.

Addendum: The video looks fairly normal, so that is not bad. The 120 is made to keep flying--hovering is more of an art.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000