SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:14 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,864 Posts
HH is the product service center for E-flite, Blade--not just a vendor. They own the lines, so they really do need to listen to the hobbyists--us. However, I am getting the feeling that the SR 120 is not their focus. They are more into R&D for new and more exciting models than to spend time updating their past creations.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:14 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,574 Posts
I guess I sort of see them as the Micro$oft of RC... love 'em or hate 'em

It's their profit margins that allow them to send out 1st, 2nd, 3rd and even 4th replacement complete Carbon Cubs to guys who were crashing them right out of the box due to defective servos, free of charge and without batting an eye. Would I prefer that the issues were just not present in the first place?... of course, but this stuff is mass produced in China... I have to be realistic.

I have to say, they have been very good to me with tech and warranty issues and I haven't had to pay a dime for anything that was sent to me including shipping. That level of support is why I'm willing to pay a bit of a premium for their products... I know I'll be taken care of if need be.

What I'm saying is I'd rather buy their Chinese crap than someone else's Chinese crap... it's all going to go on ya at some point... at least with them there's a good chance they won't leave you high and dry like some other companies will (no names mentioned)
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX9 HobbyZone Champ RUD>AIL Mix
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:18 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Why no names mentioned? Do you mean the ones I mentioned? Don't worry, I'm no particular fan of either. Tower I like because they have a warehouse in the next state, so usualy very fast delivery.
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:21 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post

What I'm saying is I'd rather buy their Chinese crap than someone else's Chinese crap... it's all going to go on ya at some point... at least with them there's a good chance they won't leave you high and dry like some other companies will (no names mentioned)
Agreed. Over all, they've been real good to me. I have asked for two different things and they totally blew me off, however. I get think that their individual techs who speak to you have to be the ones on the ball or they can leave you high and dry.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:35 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,835 Posts
HMMM,,..I didn't see an HH thread among the "vendors" thread.

I know nothing!

I See Nothing - Sgt Schultz (0 min 35 sec)

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Last edited by Chap1012; Nov 13, 2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:21 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
HMMM,,..I didn't see an HH thread among the "vendors" thread.

I know nothing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ag4nkSh7Q

Mike.
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:13 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
Why no names mentioned? Do you mean the ones I mentioned? Don't worry, I'm no particular fan of either. Tower I like because they have a warehouse in the next state, so usualy very fast delivery.
stu, if you're buying Blade, E-flite, Parkzone, Hobbyzone, Pro Boat etc. from a-main and tower, like sax said, you're still buying Horizon's designed and distributed products. If you need warranty or tech service you're still in most cases going to be dealing either directly or indirectly with Horizon... and that's the best route anyway.

I was thinking more of some other companies I've not heard very good things about in my R&D quests and travels throughout various corners of RCG lately...

HK and certain sister companies of hobbypartz.com to name (or not name) a couple.

... ok... nitroplanes.com

hobbypartz.com
XHeli.com
Nitroplanes.com
NitroRCX.com
RaidenTech.com

are the same company. I haven't had any issues with the hobbypartz.com component of that... but I haven't required service on anything I bought from them either.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:01 AM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Yes, those you mentioned make me nervous, lol. Based in China? My CC company puts an alert out every time I use my Visa to make a purchase from HobbyKing. I have only bought batteries so far, just can't beat the prices on those. And they seem to have a fail rate equal to any others I have tried.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:25 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,574 Posts
I might have no choice but to start using HK for cheap lipos and specifically out of the China warehouse. Was buying Gens Ace lipos for my RC cars from hobbypartz.com and wanted to get more recently. Gens Ace are highly regarded in the surface RC community and they're only a quarter to one third the price of brand name batts like Thunderpower that don't perform any better. Went to order some smaller ones for my Super Cub along with maybe some Sky Lipo brand which are just as cheap and get great reviews and found out USPS won't ship lipos internationally anymore. Parcel carriers like UPS are not a viable international option for Canadians unless we want to get raped with brokerage fees.

... but I'm almost at the point where I might be willing to bend over... I really want those Gens Ace and Sky Lipo batts.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:39 AM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
I've been very happy with my Sky and Zippy lipo's. From HobbyKing, and or HobbyPartz. I use the 5,000mah in my Summit and my boats, they work as well if not better than the Spec Point Racing (SPC) cells that cost twice as much. Then you have the TP's or dare I say MaxAmps, I would never ever pay that much for a lipo, it's insane. In all my years of lipo so far, I've had two puff, one 2s Zippy, and one 3s SPC
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:37 AM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
11,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie77 View Post
My motor went out.. I have only had it for two weeks. I don't understand why. Maybe I ran too many battery packs back to back. The ones that I am using have a 35 c discharge rate and the stock battery only puts 15 c. I noticed a very big difference in power when I run the 35c.
Battery type has nothing to do with it. I have about 70 flights on my 120SR. I keep telling everyone that YOU CAN"T run these helis back to back without a cool down period. And I'm not just talking about the 120SR. Any model with a motor(s). I have been told differently. And I say to that....stock up my man...your pockets are much deeper than mine.

Mike.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:33 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Battery type has nothing to do with it. I have about 70 flights on my 120SR. I keep telling everyone that YOU CAN"T run these helis back to back without a cool down period. And I'm not just talking about the 120SR. Any model with a motor(s). I have been told differently. And I say to that....stock up my man...your pockets are much deeper than mine.

Mike.
I am not sure if this statement would be completely true Mike. It stands to reason (to me anyway) that if a pilot puts a more powerful battery to the motor, especially in combination with flying the bird hard, that he could overheat the motor(s) even more, making the other part of your statement even more true, that one has to let the motors cool between flights.
I think this also depends on the flying style of the pilot. If in the house, with mostly hovering, the tail motor obviously does not get worked as hard and does not build as much heat. Flown out side while fighting a breeze, at full throttle, doing many many turns is going to work the heck out of the little tail motor and build lots of heat.
Flying style as to figured into the equation.
Tat's what I think!
Kyle
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:21 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,744 Posts
The 120SR tail motor tends to run hot. I do fly mine back to back, with reasonable cool downs in between. That's why we have handfuls of batteries, right?

You could say that flying style and battery type might have a small part in it. But in general, when your 120SR is flying, the tail motor is heating up. That is by far the larger reason that it gets burnout. So, I agree with Mike. You want to be able to fly multiple packs, just give it a break in between. My brain needs rest, too, so do my butt muscles. Whew! Flying is so intense.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:44 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
11,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie77 View Post
My motor went out.. I have only had it for two weeks. I don't understand why. Maybe I ran too many battery packs back to back. The ones that I am using have a 35 c discharge rate and the stock battery only puts 15 c. I noticed a very big difference in power when I run the 35c.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDude View Post
I am not sure if this statement would be completely true Mike. It stands to reason (to me anyway) that if a pilot puts a more powerful battery to the motor, especially in combination with flying the bird hard, that he could overheat the motor(s) even more, making the other part of your statement even more true, that one has to let the motors cool between flights.
I think this also depends on the flying style of the pilot. If in the house, with mostly hovering, the tail motor obviously does not get worked as hard and does not build as much heat. Flown out side while fighting a breeze, at full throttle, doing many many turns is going to work the heck out of the little tail motor and build lots of heat.
Flying style as to figured into the equation.
Tat's what I think!
Kyle
I was actually responding to "Newbie77" when I said "battery type has nothing to do with it." If you run "any type battery" back to back in "any" model the motor(s) are sure to run hot! {I think we can all agree to that}. Therefore, jeopardizing the performance of said model. I should have worded my post differently.

Mike.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:20 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,367 Posts
The higher the 'c' rating, the more punch the battery will have...heat is from the brushes inside getting hot from friction and you really should let the motors cool down...same for batterys, they should be let to cool down, also.
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131