Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:16 PM
Joined Oct 2012
75 Posts
Well, my tail rotor went out. . Just ordered a new one..
Newbie77 is offline Find More Posts by Newbie77
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:20 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie77 View Post
Well, my tail rotor went out. . Just ordered a new one..
Order a few. You said rotor, not motor, correct?
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:46 PM
Joined Oct 2012
75 Posts
My motor went out.. I have only had it for two weeks. I don't understand why. Maybe I ran too many battery packs back to back. The ones that I am using have a 35 c discharge rate and the stock battery only puts 15 c. I noticed a very big difference in power when I run the 35c.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:58 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,256 Posts
Quote:
My motor went out.. I have only had it for two weeks. I don't understand why. Maybe I ran too many battery packs back to back. The ones that I am using have a 35 c discharge rate and the stock battery only puts 15 c. I noticed a very big difference in power when I run the 35c.
Well mine died in 4th flight (20m maybe) .. Horizon brushed motors are usually rubish ... my 120 has wasted one main and 2 tail motors... and Champ has wasted 3 motors (2 of them were the suposedly better P51 one) .. oddly the T28 still survives with the stock motor (ok, granted the Champ has had 9 hours and half of flight.. the T28 barelly 3 and a half) .. but overall im having terrible results with their brushed motors... and i can garantee i dont fly the Champ flat out
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:10 PM
Joined Oct 2012
75 Posts
Do they have a brushless upgrade for the 120?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:25 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
8,922 Posts
Quote:
I have read about a few people who converted their SR120 to brushless - however, I havent heard about one of those supposed "plug and play" BL kits for the 120SR ... EVER!!

Guess if you want to go THAT route, it is still a pretty lonley road to travel ...
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:27 PM
Joined Oct 2012
75 Posts
I have heard some other people on these forums say they have had pretty good luck with the 120.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:30 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
Well mine died in 4th flight (20m maybe) .. Horizon brushed motors are usually rubish ... my 120 has wasted one main and 2 tail motors... and Champ has wasted 3 motors (2 of them were the suposedly better P51 one) .. oddly the T28 still survives with the stock motor (ok, granted the Champ has had 9 hours and half of flight.. the T28 barelly 3 and a half) .. but overall im having terrible results with their brushed motors... and i can garantee i dont fly the Champ flat out
I don't know which thread I was talking about this in not too long ago... but the smaller coreless motors like the ones in the Champ, msr, mcx2, 120 tail motor etc. are just cheap Chinese pager motors sourced by HH (and other companies) and were never designed/intended to be run continuously for minutes on end... it surprises me that they sometimes last as long as they do.

I have the P-51 motor for my Champ but haven't used it yet. By "supposed to be better" guys are talking about power, but it actually has a reputation of shorter life than the stock Champ one.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:31 PM
United States, PA, Reading
Joined Mar 2009
482 Posts
I really like this heli. I think it's the perfect size F.P. for indoors or out. motors come, and motors go. Just part of it I guess.
tippytoe is offline Find More Posts by tippytoe
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:41 PM
Joined Oct 2012
75 Posts
Yeah, I need to just by a bunch of replacement parts. I do enjoy it.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:18 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,807 Posts
Quote:
It's not you... I replaced 2 or 3 when I decided to buy 3 to have a couple on tap. I've been flying the same one now with 2 spares for a year. The motors are not consistent. You can call Horizon Hobby and they may make it up to you by supplying another tail motor.

Quote:
If you read back a few days, you'll see a discussion on an all brushless version. if you read the blog of the person who had it, you'll see what it takes. Not simple, but basically, it's the same as the brushless mCPX upgrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
I don't know which thread I was talking about this in not too long ago... but the smaller coreless motors like the ones in the Champ, msr, mcx2, 120 tail motor etc. are just cheap Chinese pager motors sourced by HH (and other companies) and were never designed/intended to be run continuously for minutes on end... it surprises me that they sometimes last as long as they do.

I have the P-51 motor for my Champ but haven't used it yet. By "supposed to be better" guys are talking about power, but it actually has a reputation of shorter life than the stock Champ one.
The P-51 is great. I have one in my J-3 and it's been a gas. However, I like the Champ with the original motor because it can fly so nice!!!!
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:43 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post

That's too bad. Because if that is the case then obviously Horizon Hobby does not care one whit about our hobby and bringing us good value for the money. Yes, they may be one of the only places to get this stuff at a decent price but still. Selling us crap just to make a profit makes them just another money hog, no brand loyalty here, that's for sure.
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:48 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,485 Posts
It is what it is I guess... they're certainly not the only ones guilty... they are a business first and foremost
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:55 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
That's too bad. Because if that is the case then obviously Horizon Hobby does not care one whit about our hobby and bringing us good value for the money. Yes, they may be one of the only places to get this stuff at a decent price but still. Selling us crap just to make a profit makes them just another money hog, no brand loyalty here, that's for sure.
I have made a couple written complaints about these tail motors and one phone call to HH about them. Once, the guy offered to replace my motor and I told him I didn't want replacement--I wanted them to get better upgrades for them! He didn't know how to respond to that.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:02 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
I agree with both the above posts. The thing that gets me is how they PRETEND to care about us, and the hobby. They must think we are pretty darn stupid eh? Maybe we are, lol. We do keep buying from them. Well, others like them. Personaly I have never ordered anything from HH. But I have ordered a kings ransom from both A-main and Tower though.
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56