Old Sep 10, 2010, 09:34 PM
LiPo Cursed but Still Electric
Northern Illinois, USA
Joined Aug 2010
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
Here are the pics isogloss3d..........

The 3.7v 1000 mah 15C battery and holder.
The weight of the 120 sr with the led lights blinker board and wireing and new battery tray installed but without a battery weighs 100.0 grams..right on the money..lol

So with the 1000 mah battery the total AUW is 128.4 grams.
It hovers at half stick and has plenty of climb power.
The increased headspeed makes flying this heli much better in some wind.
I'll use the single stock 500 mah for inside and the 1000 mah for outside.

On to the pics.......

Ridgewalker
Excellent Job Ridge! Thanks for the instructions
isogloss3d is offline Find More Posts by isogloss3d
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2010, 09:35 PM
LiPo Cursed but Still Electric
Northern Illinois, USA
Joined Aug 2010
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRDEANO View Post
You have a shop called Slickzero who are doing the xtreme 180 motors
They are in Florida

Have a look under the CX2 mods section of their site - sold singly
Found 'em @ slickzero, thanks!
isogloss3d is offline Find More Posts by isogloss3d
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:11 PM
Flying Monkey
Lexington, KY
Joined Aug 2010
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
has anyone tried the Xtreme 180 motor in the 120 yet?
Just tried it tonight, she would not even lift of the ground. Sure my heli is heavy but the stock motor has no problem handling the extra payload. Not sure why? It seemed like a good idea anyway, but it sure was a pain in the as swapping those pinions, glad thats over.Im sure its just a matter of time before there is a brushless upgrade (fingers crossed) available, with the 120 SR there is a lot more possible upgrades over the mSR.
heli-yeah is offline Find More Posts by heli-yeah
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:30 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,461 Posts
the Xtreme 180 Se is that much heavier or something else was wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heli-yeah View Post
Just tried it tonight, she would not even lift of the ground. Sure my heli is heavy but the stock motor has no problem handling the extra payload. Not sure why? It seemed like a good idea anyway, but it sure was a pain in the as swapping those pinions, glad thats over.Im sure its just a matter of time before there is a brushless upgrade (fingers crossed) available, with the 120 SR there is a lot more possible upgrades over the mSR.
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Sep 11, 2010, 05:23 AM
Preston - UK
Joined Sep 2010
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
the Xtreme 180 Se is that much heavier or something else was wrong?
Just a thought but wont the motor you choose be important - the 180 comes in left and right rotation - if you have the wrong one fitted it will be gutless in reverse.
CBRDEANO is offline Find More Posts by CBRDEANO
Old Sep 11, 2010, 06:37 AM
Timmmaaaahhh!!!
NW Indiana
Joined Mar 2008
502 Posts
Subscribed. Just got mine...and lovin' it!
whitehawk is offline Find More Posts by whitehawk
Old Sep 11, 2010, 09:29 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,461 Posts
Perhaps - not sure if its just a reverse polarity thing with plugs or not.

the 180 is normally used with 7.4 volts, but if the SR 120 has the same motor as say the cx series coax's then I dont see why it wouldnt work, UNLESS... the 180 SE needs 7.4 volts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRDEANO View Post
Just a thought but wont the motor you choose be important - the 180 comes in left and right rotation - if you have the wrong one fitted it will be gutless in reverse.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 09:45 AM
2012 ZX14R ....faster than you
USA, NV, Carson City
Joined Sep 2006
1,768 Posts
New 120 SR

I've had my new 120 SR for almost a week and so far, so good, 26 flights with no issues. I've owned the CX, CX2, MCX and MSR and was not really pleased with the performance and durability of any of those models and ended up selling them. I'm glad I bit the bullet to chance a try with another Eflite product, the 120 is a keeper! I've only crashed it once, a 10' drop onto the kitchen tile floor and thought, "well, that's it.....destroyed!" To my surprise, not even a scratch! I also own a Hirobo SRB Quark that I love dearly, but this little gem comes in a very close second as far as performance and trouble free maintenance goes. The 120 tail holds better than the Quark, a click or two of rudder trim (during the 7 minute flights I'm getting) results in a rock solid hold.
If you're on the fence as far as thinking about buying one, don't hesitate, do it. You won't be disappointed!
CCbusa05 is offline Find More Posts by CCbusa05
Old Sep 11, 2010, 09:56 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
22,632 Posts
Um....not sure sure what a '180' actually is, but the SR120 donk is a pretty big mean mofo for a brushed single cell.

Reminds me of the old 'D9' motors that were the beez-neez in slot-car racing many many moons ago...

BJ
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Sep 11, 2010, 09:57 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,461 Posts
Xtreme 180 SE high performance brushed motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64 View Post
Um....not sure sure what a '180' actually is, but the SR120 donk is a pretty big mean mofo for a brushed single cell.

Reminds me of the old 'D9' motors that were the beez-neez in slot-car racing many many moons ago...

BJ
Old Sep 11, 2010, 10:01 AM
Preston - UK
Joined Sep 2010
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64 View Post

BJ
180 size motor

Look here http://www.mabuchi-motor.co.jp/cgi-b..._ID=ff_180phsh

Mabuchi give sizes for a 180 series motor
CBRDEANO is offline Find More Posts by CBRDEANO
Old Sep 11, 2010, 10:13 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,461 Posts
Holds better than SRB? Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbusa05 View Post
I've had my new 120 SR for almost a week and so far, so good, 26 flights with no issues. I've owned the CX, CX2, MCX and MSR and was not really pleased with the performance and durability of any of those models and ended up selling them. I'm glad I bit the bullet to chance a try with another Eflite product, the 120 is a keeper! I've only crashed it once, a 10' drop onto the kitchen tile floor and thought, "well, that's it.....destroyed!" To my surprise, not even a scratch! I also own a Hirobo SRB Quark that I love dearly, but this little gem comes in a very close second as far as performance and trouble free maintenance goes. The 120 tail holds better than the Quark, a click or two of rudder trim (during the 7 minute flights I'm getting) results in a rock solid hold.
If you're on the fence as far as thinking about buying one, don't hesitate, do it. You won't be disappointed!
Old Sep 11, 2010, 10:16 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
22,632 Posts
Yep

They're a pretty fine Bird to fly.

My route was a Micro Twister co-ax, the mSR, and now the SR120.

The Micro Twister was the first thing I ever got up in the air and actually had fun with. I was trying to fly planks solo with not a lot of success, but the MT co-ax gave me some confidence. I stacked it, busted it a few times, and learnt heaps along the way regarding fixing your own things. And I can't believe I used to get sweaty palms while learning to fly it. Now, it's basically just set and forget - up she comes, do a few laps, and put her down again.

Then came the mSR, and it was a darn handful to start with, but now it's like an extension of my body. I don't get too fancy with it, but I enjoy walking it around the house - through doorways, up and down the staircase, and generally making up my own 'laps' as I go. I've flown it outdoors, but in stock configuration, it really hates any hint of breeze outdoors.

Now onto the SR120. A bit daunting to start with - bigger Bird, bigger noise, bigger crash. But I've just been downstairs and had another fly of it just now - half-cut and all. And I loved it. Our weather has been pretty suss down here for nigh on 2 months now, so it's all indoor stuff around the house. Sometimes I still get out of shape, but my learning is at the stage of anticipating where it's heading, and what I have to do to get out of it. Tonight I just did some simple stuff, and did half a dozen nice hands-free hovers. "Poco a poco". Baby-steps I 'spose, but what a great feeling to have that feeling that you're in control (for a change).

I realise that flying my CP 450 competently is a fair way off yet - so the 120 fills that gap nicely a great stepping-stone IMHO...

BJ
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Sep 11, 2010, 10:33 AM
Joined Oct 2008
268 Posts
All of these praises of this " Eflite crap" can't be right. The story to begin with was that it was a bigger mSR without a market to buy it. WELL, I guess he was wrong! I haven't flown a Quark, but I love my 120 even with its brushed tail motor that hasn't given me any problems at all. Now they could develope something a little larger FBL with a 3d gyro.
SeaDog-Chief is offline Find More Posts by SeaDog-Chief
Old Sep 11, 2010, 10:57 AM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,816 Posts
BJ64 wrote.......I realise that flying my CP 450 competently is a fair way off yet - so the 120 fills that gap nicely – a great stepping-stone IMHO...

It sure does,i'm in the same boat as you !

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker