Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:00 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,196 Posts
Anything wet will attract dirt and muck....what you do not want.......!

WD-40's formula is a trade secret. The product is not patented, to avoid completely disclosing its ingredients.[3][5] WD-40's main ingredients, according to U.S. Material Safety Data Sheet information, are:

51% Stoddard solvent
25% liquefied petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant; carbon dioxide is now used instead to reduce WD-40's considerable flammability)
15+% mineral oil (light lubricating oil)
10-% inert ingredients

You really do not want solvent on plastic parts.
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:07 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR120 fan View Post
If you had to pick either to set up your swash plate on the more aggressive setting or the less aggressive setting permanently which one would you choose?
Without a doubt, the more aggresive long balls. I am not sure why they ever put the short ones on the swash.

Kyle
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:10 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
Joined Aug 2011
3,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
I did not even see the tail when I ordered it. How the heck did a non tail rotor heli ever fly? I'm gonna skip ordering the tail that I will have to hack up. I wish I had just ordered a new stock canopy. I just like scale helis so much.

Beleive it or not, not finding much on search. I guess I could go tail-less and just find some cheaper skids I hope. I got this heli to have something fun to throw aroumd and not be afraid of crashing like my solo pro fixed pitch. Just a lot of fun and no worries.
Well... check this out, I am not sure how Mr Herbert can make this thing fly, but he does!
Kyle

World's First and Smallest Single Rotor NOTAR (No Tail Rotor) Helicopter. The Micro Uni-Blade. (3 min 53 sec)
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:12 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,574 Posts
I also meant to mention, regarding lubing (not the servo strips), I've never had a problem with attracting dirt when using my Tri-Flow on pretty much anything that moves in the drive train on my helis... and I'm rather liberal with the stuff and fly them outdoors.

It's one of the most recommended heli lubes here in various corners of RCGroups... never heard mention of anyone else having this isue either.
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:41 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
Joined Aug 2011
3,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
I also meant to mention, regarding lubing (not the servo strips), I've never had a problem with attracting dirt when using my Tri-Flow on pretty much anything that moves in the drive train on my helis... and I'm rather liberal with the stuff and fly them outdoors.

It's one of the most recommended heli lubes here in various corners of RCGroups... never heard mention of anyone else having this isue either.
Tri-Flow is good stuff, period. I use silicone spray and it doesn't attract as much dirt as other lubes would either. When I am out of silicone, I am going to the Tri-Flow. But then again, I make a point to not spool up in dusty/dirty areas. Even with no lube the dust that is created when lifting off on a dirty area can't be good.
With the dry lubes, I just feel like they don't stay put long enough.
Last edited by BattleDude; Sep 30, 2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:30 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDude View Post

But then again, I make a point to not spool up in dusty/dirty areas. Even with no lube the dust that is created when lifting off on a dirty area can't be good.
exactly
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2012, 02:10 PM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Sep 2012
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
Use the long balls, the more aggressive, for outdoors. Otherwise, the breezes will tip it over and you'll crash easily because there is no extra ability to recover from tipping. You can use dual rates for inside/outside once you really get the hang of flying. I do that: I fly it outside and, when the battery is exhausted, I ly back into the garage to land near the battery charger. Before I go throuthe door, I switch to the "indoor" rate and smoothly land without bouncing off walls first.
Ok going with the long balls. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
1. Deox-it Fader Lube (just ask the guys in the Carbon Cub forum ) or an equivalent.

2. Don't use the recommended rate in the manual of 0.7A if you want those E-flites to have any kind of longevity. I personally won't even do 0.5A on those things (because it's not much different than (0.7). I use 0.3A and haven't had a longevity issue with them (most guys using 0.7 have... it was discussed here relatively recently... and many times here before that). I don't know anything about the other one you mentioned.
OK thanks for the lube and charging tip. The Eflite batteries seem to be a load of rubbish by the sound of it and twice the price with less capacity.and lower discharge rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
Anything wet will attract dirt and muck....what you do not want.......!

WD-40's formula is a trade secret. The product is not patented, to avoid completely disclosing its ingredients.[3][5] WD-40's main ingredients, according to U.S. Material Safety Data Sheet information, are:

51% Stoddard solvent
25% liquefied petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant; carbon dioxide is now used instead to reduce WD-40's considerable flammability)
15+% mineral oil (light lubricating oil)
10-% inert ingredients

You really do not want solvent on plastic parts.
I wish I had read this earlier as my servos got a hose down in it. I did try dry as much as possible to get the surplus off them but they probably are the least of my worries at the moment.

I will treat my next 120SR far far better lol.

Hopefully everything should be functioning relatively well tomorrow, except I melted one of the servo tracks ever so slightly and most of the time it functions fine, but sometimes it gets stuck
up above centre and won't return to centre so Im thinking a bit of plastic is blocking its travel. Ive tried prying the plastic channel gently open and it seems to have helped but not completely and so could turn out to be disaster if it sticks mid air.

I can't bring myself to order again already lol but next time I will get another server, swash plate, links and some of that spray.
SR120 fan is offline Find More Posts by SR120 fan
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:42 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by battledude View Post
without a doubt, the more aggresive long balls. I am not sure why they ever put the short ones on the swash.

Kyle
+1.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:00 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
Joined Aug 2011
3,142 Posts
Quote:
I will treat my next 120SR far far better lol.
Hang in here 120SR Fan, I took a BUNCH of hard knocks when I first started out, as I am sure that most of us have.

I tell everyone that I own(owned) 10 120SR's, but actually it was 11. My first 120 was in the "boneyard" in short order. So bad that I parted it out for parts for my 2nd one.

But you are learning at such a fast rate your brain must be smoking!!! LOL

Hang in there!

Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:07 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
Joined Aug 2011
3,142 Posts
HP, I have switched camps on the battery issue. I am with you. I think with the most modern batts, a pilot should charge them at the manufacturers recommended rate.

I can see your point about slow charging making a person neglect to monitor the charging process. And I have come to believe that lowering the charge rate below that, probably effects battery life very little, if any in some cases.

The next batts I purchase, I am going to charge half of them at the highest recommended rate, and half of them at half of that rate. I am going to see for myself, on this long debated issue of battery life vs charge rate.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:24 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,600 Posts
OK, took my 120 SR out front today with a little more room. I think I have some flybar issues although the flybar does not appear bent or damaged, and the links are all non adjustable, so I don't know what to do. It holds a hover with some mild TBE, but put her into FFF, and she banks hard right and then reverse! It's like the TBE amplifies greatly under movement. God I swear this is the last flybar heli I will buy! I am struggling to keep it going in a straightline and not crash. A newbie would have wrecked for sure. I tried several times and then gave up mid pack. I'm sitting here looking at the thing and it's dead simple. like my solo pro V2, not much here to adjust. I want it to fly like I see in those vids FFF and banked turns. Sometimes I feel like I am going to have to buy an expensive $600 RTF to get a heli that actually flies nice. I am always fighting the equipment or not able to set it up right. I have some skill now with my Blade MQX flying at speed. I want a heli that flies like THAT!
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:40 PM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Sep 2012
396 Posts
Quote:
Hang in here 120SR Fan, I took a BUNCH of hard knocks when I first started out, as I am sure that most of us have.

I tell everyone that I own(owned) 10 120SR's, but actually it was 11. My first 120 was in the "boneyard" in short order. So bad that I parted it out for parts for my 2nd one.

But you are learning at such a fast rate your brain must be smoking!!! LOL

Hang in there!

Well I'm certainly learning how to repair and glue at a smoking rate lol

I'm not going to give up no matter what, If anything it will make me more determined, but next time I go outside it will be with zero wind and I will make sure everything is setup exactly right (apart from all the glued on parts that should have ball links)

I'm really looking forward to trying out the tx you have sent me

I think I definitely want a mCX2 or something similar just to get my confidence up and have a bit of fun around the house as I'm not risking the SR in anything other then perfect conditions for the time being. I will probably change my mind on that by tomorrow and have it up in a tree
SR120 fan is offline Find More Posts by SR120 fan
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:12 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,196 Posts
I use this stuff for lube.....dry lube - Teflon -

Take all your dogbone links off.....take the point of a pencil and insert into the holes in the dogbone links.....graphite lube...can't beat that!
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:58 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,365 Posts
Quote:
HP, I have switched camps on the battery issue. I am with you. I think with the most modern batts, a pilot should charge them at the manufacturers recommended rate.

I can see your point about slow charging making a person neglect to monitor the charging process. And I have come to believe that lowering the charge rate below that, probably effects battery life very little, if any in some cases.

The next batts I purchase, I am going to charge half of them at the highest recommended rate, and half of them at half of that rate. I am going to see for myself, on this long debated issue of battery life vs charge rate.
Welcome to the Dark Side.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:09 PM
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Dec 2011
536 Posts
Quote:
I couldn't get much forward flight. There was a major tendency for it to backwards, whether it was the breeze, settings or just too scared to power up the throttle when the nose should have been down to get the heli back to me i dont know.
I fly mine in a breeze often. If you've got the ail. full forward and it's not going forward then back off the throttle and ail. for a bit and then give it back to her like you mean it. Be ready. It will then go forward with authority.
Brian VT is offline Find More Posts by Brian VT