HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:22 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,865 Posts
8 days, no DX8. Man! Horizon Hobby received it Tuesday and I cannot believe that they didn't fix it and FEDEX it back by Thursday!!!!!
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:14 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
8 days, no DX8. Man! Horizon Hobby received it Tuesday and I cannot believe that they didn't fix it and FEDEX it back by Thursday!!!!!
I think what you are experiencing are withdrawals. Are you flashing, hot and cold, chills or nausea? An S107 would help snap you out of this horrible state of mind. Quick, run to your nearest Brookstone or dial 911...they might have a heli
Chap1012 is online now Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:29 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
I think what you are experiencing are withdrawals. Are you flashing, hot and cold, chills or nausea? An S107 would help snap you out of this horrible state of mind. Quick, run to your nearest Brookstone or dial 911...they might have a heli
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:53 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,865 Posts
Hahaha! I really am having withdrawals... To try to overcome no flying I bought 9 more helicopters!!!!!! And, I'm building a Pitts model 12 airplane!!!!! And, I'm leveling the swashplate for a UH-1 Huey and, and... Oh, my God, I'm out of control !!!!!!!!
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:20 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
10,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
Hahaha! I really am having withdrawals... To try to overcome no flying I bought 9 more helicopters!!!!!! And, I'm building a Pitts model 12 airplane!!!!! And, I'm leveling the swashplate for a UH-1 Huey and, and... Oh, my God, I'm out of control !!!!!!!!
Is it "inappropriate" to ask which ones ?? ...
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:38 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNONFODDER0 View Post
No disagreement with most of that, but the notion that being conservative is ruinous and uninformed is needlessly biased. It is starting to seem strikingly similar to the flip side of you original concern - then newbies were being bullied into "ultra conservative" rates. Am I now "uninformed" and "ultra conservative" and somehow deficient because I still charge all mine at 1C?

I just have a situation where I can monitor the charge and a setup that charges all the batteries I have the time to fly easily, so I see no need to put more wear and tear on them than necessary.

The best bulldozer operator I know sets the engine at a nice just over idle speed and gets more done than most of the others who run the engines wide open and zoom around, and he does it with less fuel and less wear and tear.

Lets let everyone be informed and decide what their tolerance for time and what risk and where they want to accept it on their own, and leave the teams, camps, sides, and other labels out of it.

v/r,
C-F
Thank you for your comments, and your point is well taken.

I guess I'm too concerned about newbies not being informed by the latest information, but rather hear say from old tales.

People who go to great lengths to setup safe charging stations should be applauded for their vigilance. And if you could monitor it or otherwise charge it in an environment that you don't have to watch it like a hawk, then there is absolutely nothing lost in slow charging. That, too, is being well informed.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:52 AM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Sep 2012
525 Posts
Hi everyone

Quick question regarding the swash plate aggression settings. Dues to issue of breakages and every other thing you can think of going wrong. I am resorting to hardcore/desperate measures but am confident that my less then orthodox approach to repair will result in my heli getting back into the skies. Anyway. Without asking why (you can if you want.) If you had to pick either to set up your swash plate on the more aggressive setting or the less aggressive setting permanently which one would you choose?

It will mainly be flown outside in a park when I get something more inside friendly, but will also be flown in the garden and even risked in the lounge.

I'm thinking might as well go aggressive unless anyone has a good reason to think other wise. My skill level is relatively low but I can pretty much repair anything (just hate waiting for the parts, that's why desperate measure are being taken)

What do you guys think?
SR120 fan is offline Find More Posts by SR120 fan
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:59 AM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Sep 2012
525 Posts
There's no rush fro an answer as I have a ton of Uni notes to write up which I should have done yesterday but was on a mission to not let the 120 SR beat me and spent pretty much the last 48 hours in repair mode, which incidentally seems to have caused even more repair jobs needing doing.

She won't be winning any beauty contests when I'm finished I can tell you that! Some of you will be appalled when I tell you what I've done to certain components (not in a x-rated way I should add)
SR120 fan is offline Find More Posts by SR120 fan
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:07 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR120 fan View Post
Hi everyone

Quick question regarding the swash plate aggression settings. Dues to issue of breakages and every other thing you can think of going wrong. I am resorting to hardcore/desperate measures but am confident that my less then orthodox approach to repair will result in my heli getting back into the skies. Anyway. Without asking why (you can if you want.) If you had to pick either to set up your swash plate on the more aggressive setting or the less aggressive setting permanently which one would you choose?

It will mainly be flown outside in a park when I get something more inside friendly, but will also be flown in the garden and even risked in the lounge.

I'm thinking might as well go aggressive unless anyone has a good reason to think other wise. My skill level is relatively low but I can pretty much repair anything (just hate waiting for the parts, that's why desperate measure are being taken)

What do you guys think?
Use the long balls, the more aggressive, for outdoors. Otherwise, the breezes will tip it over and you'll crash easily because there is no extra ability to recover from tipping. You can use dual rates for inside/outside once you really get the hang of flying. I do that: I fly it outside and, when the battery is exhausted, I ly back into the garage to land near the battery charger. Before I go throuthe door, I switch to the "indoor" rate and smoothly land without bouncing off walls first.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:38 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,782 Posts
OK, I think I messed up. I wanted to convert my 120SR to a scale look. So I ordered the MD500 body from eflite . The EFLH2002, but it comes without the tail or skids. I know where to get the tail, but will it bolt to the body? And do I need to order eflite skids to match, or will they not fit the 120? MIA has some skids, but the right ones are not sold separately and they are $20 plus shipping.

Looking at the tail fin, looks like if I attach it, it will interfere with the tail rotor. I think I just wasted my money on a body I can't use. The body is already bought. Can I salvage this project?
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:53 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
10,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
OK, I think I messed up. I wanted to convert my 120SR to a scale look. So I ordered the MD500 body from eflite . The EFLH2002, but it comes without the tail or skids. I know where to get the tail, but will it bolt to the body? And do I need to order eflite skids to match, or will they not fit the 120? MIA has some skids, but the right ones are not sold separately and they are $20 plus shipping.

Looking at the tail fin, looks like if I attach it, it will interfere with the tail rotor. I think I just wasted my money on a body I can't use. The body is already bought. Can I salvage this project?
Why did you pick the NOTAR version of the MD500? (this thing doesnt have a tail rotor in real, does it?)
I dont know if you can salvage the project, but I can look at the eflite skids when I get back from work tonight. As for the tail fin, I fear I wont be able to help. (but I will check ...)
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:13 AM
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,856 Posts
Quote:

Go to the top of this page. In the task bar just above the posts click on "Search this thread." Type in "MD500" and you will come up with more info than you may have bargained for

Mike.
Chap1012 is online now Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:17 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,865 Posts
Quote:

Sure. Just order a pair of aluminum skids of any maker for the SR 120 and you'll be flying pretty. P.S. You can paint the aluminum to the same color as the fuse.

Wait -- You have the NOTAR 520? You can alter it to put a rotor on one side instead of a stabilizer fin, but it won't look scale.
Last edited by Saxguy1000; Sep 30, 2012 at 11:25 AM. Reason: wait!
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:49 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,782 Posts
I did not even see the tail when I ordered it. How the heck did a non tail rotor heli ever fly? I'm gonna skip ordering the tail that I will have to hack up. I wish I had just ordered a new stock canopy. I just like scale helis so much.

Beleive it or not, not finding much on search. I guess I could go tail-less and just find some cheaper skids I hope. I got this heli to have something fun to throw aroumd and not be afraid of crashing like my solo pro fixed pitch. Just a lot of fun and no worries.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Last edited by shahram72; Sep 30, 2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:39 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR120 fan View Post
... is there anything like a wd40 equivalent or something i can spray to lubricate it.

My old battery seems to have already died. What is the recommended charge rate for both the eflite ones and the intellect ones?
1. Deox-it Fader Lube (just ask the guys in the Carbon Cub forum ) or an equivalent.

2. Don't use the recommended rate in the manual of 0.7A if you want those E-flites to have any kind of longevity. I personally won't even do 0.5A on those things (because it's not much different than (0.7). I use 0.3A and haven't had a longevity issue with them (most guys using 0.7 have... it was discussed here relatively recently... and many times here before that). I don't know anything about the other one you mentioned.
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX9 HobbyZone Champ RUD>AIL Mix