HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:14 PM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Sep 2012
311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B dog View Post
Don't forget to put the links on right.
"Speaking of ball links. There is a right and wrong side to them. If you look at the
tiny pushrods up close, you will see the hole on one side is actually larger than on
the other side. This is quite common on all sizes of ball links so keep that in mind
for the larger birds to. The larger hole is what you want to pop over the ball. If you
try to pop the pushrods on with the small hole facing the ball, chances are you will
break the balls off or simply not be able to push the links on without excessive
force."
John Salt
I will double check tomorrow. I have no energy after today.

What should have been straight forward turned out to be a complete nightmare and at one point I thought the 120 was for the bin.

A long story short both rear and main motors have had to be hard wired to the BACK of the 5 in one board due to connectors breaking and wires snapping etc. On top of that the black wire going to the main motor is literally just a strip of solder as that decided to split and I couldn't find any suitable wire and by this time I just wanted to get the rotors spinning lol

I over did the soldering a bit and I might have slightly damaged a servo track (or whatever the technical name is) and it is sticking so if I can't see anything physically getting in the way is there anything like a wd40 equivalent or something i can spray to lubricate it.

Oh and when I was holding my soldering iron I accidently melted a brand new blade Luckily one of my old blades is in good condition so I will make do with that/

3 hours ago I literally thought it was a gonna and there was no way the computer board was going to tolerate the abuse it has been subjected to but after a little go inside. Just moving it across the carpet it seems relatively unharmed. I think I will need to do a lot of corrections once | take it down the park hopefully tomorrow but glad today is over.

I took a photo at the height of the madness with all leads needing soldering and it looking like a bomb but I need to find a lead to up load them

There will be no more flying inside lol.

I did learn a lot though.

My old battery seems to have already died. What is the recommended charge rate for both the eflite ones and the intellect ones?
SR120 fan is offline Find More Posts by SR120 fan
Last edited by SR120 fan; Sep 28, 2012 at 03:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:25 PM
Joined Sep 2012
311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
SR120Fan, as BD was saying, and I mentioned that to you in answering your earlier question to switch to the other balls. The two set of balls have different arm lengths from the swash. The longer one gives more throws.

As to lubricating the balls and links, I prefer the "dry" lube method, because I don't want the "wet" lube to pick up any dirt/debris. Therefore, when the links are off, I simply use a pencil to coat the surface of the ball. A fine layer of carbon does the trick for me, and it is completely dry. Try that and see if it helps.
Thanks I will try the pencil Idea when I next take her apart which will probably be tomorrow lol
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:17 PM
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Dec 2011
531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR120 fan View Post
My old battery seems to have already died. What is the recommended charge rate for both the eflite ones and the intellect ones?
1C, or less, is generally advised with most LiPos.
Brian VT is offline Find More Posts by Brian VT
Old Sep 29, 2012, 02:41 AM
Joined Sep 2012
311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian VT View Post
Thanks. Looks like I may have been over charging but the battery but it isn't in as bad as state as originally thought, but I will remember in future to keep it to 1C Which I assume means if a battery is 300Mah, the charge rate would be 0,3A?

Going to take my SR120 down the park now whilst it is quiet and see if the repairs worked. First time it will be flown in a proper open space.

Also got my eye on a mSRx on ebay but it will be a present from someone to me for my birthday so i won't be able to use it for a month. Maybe a tester would be ok though
Last edited by SR120 fan; Sep 29, 2012 at 03:11 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 04:32 AM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,026 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. Looks like I may have been over charging but the battery but it isn't in as bad as state as originally thought, but I will remember in future to keep it to 1C Which I assume means if a battery is 300Mah, the charge rate would be 0,3A?

Going to take my SR120 down the park now whilst it is quiet and see if the repairs worked. First time it will be flown in a proper open space.

Also got my eye on a mSRx on ebay but it will be a present from someone to me for my birthday so i won't be able to use it for a month. Maybe a tester would be ok though
I charge all of my batts at 0.1amps.
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:53 AM
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Dec 2011
531 Posts
Quote:
...1C Which I assume means if a battery is 300Mah, the charge rate would be 0,3A?
Correct.
Brian VT is offline Find More Posts by Brian VT
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:49 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
5,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
I charge all of my batts at 0.1amps.
Seriously, Jake? Wouldn't that take 5-6 hours to charge one of your batteries for your 120SR? And you keep an eye on it for that long in case something happens? That is such a burden, IMHO.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:21 PM
Joined Aug 2011
5,813 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian VT View Post
SR120Fan, your understand on charge rate is becoming clear. "C" is a charge rate index. It is a relative number based on the capacity of the battery. Let's use some practical numbers for 120SR. For a typical 120SR battery, the capacity is 500mAh. Therefore, 1C is 500mA, or 0.5A. 2C is 1000mA, or 1.0A. Mind you that there are 2 diff C numbers, one for charge rate and another for discharge rate. The charge rate is usually between 1-5C (a single digit). The discharge rate is much higher, between 10-35C.

E-Flite batteries have poor reputation. As far as I could tell, they die a premature death no matter how you charge it. Some people are convinced that as long as they charge it very slowly, they prolong the life of an E-Flite battery. As far as I'm concerned, I won't use another (old) E-Flite battery, period.

Newer E-Flites (25C discharge rate) are okay. I have a handful of 150mAh for my smaller helicopters. Intellect is a good brand.

People around here know that I'm in a completely different camp from the ultra conservatives. Again, I stress that there is nothing wrong being conservative, except for wasted time. Please don't let one bad old E-Flite story ruin your entire Lipo experience.

What I'm saying is that I have proven over and over again, as with many others - it is quite okay to charge your Lipo higher than 1C, especially when you have good Lipos like the new E-Flite, Turnigy, Intellect, Hyperion, etc, etc. All of these handles at least 3C, up to 5C of charge rate.

The end result is that instead of spending hours of charging, you get your charging done in less than an hour. And I argue that you could be super vigilant in monitoring that relatively short charging process and make sure that everything is safe. Versus, when you spend hours and hours charging batteries, people eventually stop monitoring and leave - which is far more dangerous.

So, you could be ultra conservative, or you could be informed. Study what the battery manufacturer recommends, and try it. If it says 5C, do it in 2-3C, you are still being conservative, but your charge time will be 2x or 3x faster than being ultra conservative.

I just want you to hear it from the "other" camp, and decide for yourself.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:58 PM
United States, CA, Foster City
Joined Nov 2011
212 Posts
To SR120fan,
Beware of your 1st outside flight, the smallest amout of breeze will alter the way it flys. Get your links on the "advance" longer balls, use high rate on your transmitter and keep it up wind from you.
Brian
PS the msrx is super fun and can handle wind better than the 120sr, i like so much, I just bought a back up in case of repair needs.
B dog is offline Find More Posts by B dog
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:48 PM
Joined Aug 2011
5,813 Posts
Of course, Brian. The mSRx is FBL and it will fly completely different than the 120SR in the wind. That lil bird goes fast, doesn't it?
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:52 PM
Joined Sep 2012
311 Posts
Quote:
SR120Fan, your understand on charge rate is becoming clear. "C" is a charge rate index. It is a relative number based on the capacity of the battery. Let's use some practical numbers for 120SR. For a typical 120SR battery, the capacity is 500mAh. Therefore, 1C is 500mA, or 0.5A. 2C is 1000mA, or 1.0A. Mind you that there are 2 diff C numbers, one for charge rate and another for discharge rate. The charge rate is usually between 1-5C (a single digit). The discharge rate is much higher, between 10-35C.

E-Flite batteries have poor reputation. As far as I could tell, they die a premature death no matter how you charge it. Some people are convinced that as long as they charge it very slowly, they prolong the life of an E-Flite battery. As far as I'm concerned, I won't use another (old) E-Flite battery, period.

Newer E-Flites (25C discharge rate) are okay. I have a handful of 150mAh for my smaller helicopters. Intellect is a good brand.

People around here know that I'm in a completely different camp from the ultra conservatives. Again, I stress that there is nothing wrong being conservative, except for wasted time. Please don't let one bad old E-Flite story ruin your entire Lipo experience.

What I'm saying is that I have proven over and over again, as with many others - it is quite okay to charge your Lipo higher than 1C, especially when you have good Lipos like the new E-Flite, Turnigy, Intellect, Hyperion, etc, etc. All of these handles at least 3C, up to 5C of charge rate.

The end result is that instead of spending hours of charging, you get your charging done in less than an hour. And I argue that you could be super vigilant in monitoring that relatively short charging process and make sure that everything is safe. Versus, when you spend hours and hours charging batteries, people eventually stop monitoring and leave - which is far more dangerous.

So, you could be ultra conservative, or you could be informed. Study what the battery manufacturer recommends, and try it. If it says 5C, do it in 2-3C, you are still being conservative, but your charge time will be 2x or 3x faster than being ultra conservative.

Thanks for that really informative post. I will be charging at the upper end of the scale as I simply haven't the time for 0.1 A charging.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 04:00 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,026 Posts
Quote:
Seriously, Jake? Wouldn't that take 5-6 hours to charge one of your batteries for your 120SR? And you keep an eye on it for that long in case something happens? That is such a burden, IMHO.
I heard that if you charge it at say .5 or .7, the battery life decreases......I could be wrong.....!
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Sep 29, 2012, 04:01 PM
Joined Sep 2012
311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B dog View Post
To SR120fan,
Beware of your 1st outside flight, the smallest amout of breeze will alter the way it flys. Get your links on the "advance" longer balls, use high rate on your transmitter and keep it up wind from you.
Brian
PS the msrx is super fun and can handle wind better than the 120sr, i like so much, I just bought a back up in case of repair needs.
It was breezy and I hadnt changed the links and it didnt go well but it showed that there was no major damage from all the repairs. I couldn't get much forward flight. There was a major tendency for it to backwards, whether it was the breeze, settings or just too scared to power up the throttle when the nose should have been down to get the heli back to me i dont know.

im setting up the swash plate to ensure it is level but one of the balls has snapped and ive glued it with some magic glue i have but i dont know whether it will do the trick as i got a lot of glue over the ball so whether the link will fit now i wont know till the morningl

Mght need anew swash plate. this down time is so annoying.

Good news on the mSRX i wasnt expectng it to handle well outsie. im considering a co axial just to get some guranteed fly time in without hassle. I nevr got the mSRX i was looking at. It almost went for the price of a new one.
Last edited by SR120 fan; Sep 29, 2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 04:31 PM
In my Prayers
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
I heard that if you charge it at say .5 or .7, the battery life decreases......I could be wrong.....!
If you charge the stock Eflight 500mah batt at .7A, yes, that could damage the batt. over time. This was discussed using the Celectra charger which goes up to .7A. This 500mah batt should be charged at no higher than .5A. This would be a 1C charge rate:
https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...arging-how-tos

Mike.
Chap1012 is online now Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Sep 29, 2012, 05:56 PM
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Jan 2011
221 Posts
Quote:
... People around here know that I'm in a completely different camp from the ultra conservatives. Again, I stress that there is nothing wrong being conservative, except for wasted time. Please don't let one bad old E-Flite story ruin your entire Lipo experience.

No disagreement with most of that, but the notion that being conservative is ruinous and uninformed is needlessly biased. It is starting to seem strikingly similar to the flip side of you original concern - then newbies were being bullied into "ultra conservative" rates. Am I now "uninformed" and "ultra conservative" and somehow deficient because I still charge all mine at 1C?

I just have a situation where I can monitor the charge and a setup that charges all the batteries I have the time to fly easily, so I see no need to put more wear and tear on them than necessary.

The best bulldozer operator I know sets the engine at a nice just over idle speed and gets more done than most of the others who run the engines wide open and zoom around, and he does it with less fuel and less wear and tear.

Lets let everyone be informed and decide what their tolerance for time and what risk and where they want to accept it on their own, and leave the teams, camps, sides, and other labels out of it.

v/r,
C-F
CANNONFODDER0 is offline Find More Posts by CANNONFODDER0