SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:43 AM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
Has anyone flew a 450 or 500 (or so) after the 120SR?

I was told that if you can fly well a 120SR a 450 or bigger (of course if its fairly good adjusted and has not problems ) its even easier..

My biggest problem with the 120SR is that tendency of going elsewhere when you try to stop ... i guess probably due to the 45 flybar.. you release the sticks and it just pitches up a lot and then rockets backwards
Yes I have. And that was true for me. I struggled with my first 120SR flight's, quite a bit, after only flying a "toy" Syma S107G.
I finally got fairly comfortable with the 120, so I bought a B450 3D.
I took it slow and finally got to where I could keep the 450 in the air.
When I went back to the 120 it seemed so much easier than before.
The "rocketing backwards" does not seem normal. If working properly, pilots have been able to completely take thier hands off of the sticks for up to 10seconds, and the bird will hover, with 0 wind, such as indoors.
I have personally set the TX down on a table for maybe 6 or 7 seconds, and just watch the bird hover itself.
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:22 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Aug 2011
643 Posts
I went from the 120SR to a 300X for my first CP Helicopter. I skipped the 130X only because I wanted something bigger and had more power than the 120SR. It has been a whole new learning experience, only in the fact that when you let go of the sticks.... the 300X does not self level. If you have mastered the 120SR, you will have no problem going to a 300X. I also have a 450X, but..... it is HUGE compared to the 120SR, while the 300X is BIG compared to the 120SR.
Blackanthem is offline Find More Posts by Blackanthem
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:49 AM
Wind you go around in circles
United States, FL, Middleburg
Joined Jan 2012
1,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackanthem View Post
I went from the 120SR to a 300X for my first CP Helicopter. I skipped the 130X only because I wanted something bigger and had more power than the 120SR. It has been a whole new learning experience, only in the fact that when you let go of the sticks.... the 300X does not self level. If you have mastered the 120SR, you will have no problem going to a 300X. I also have a 450X, but..... it is HUGE compared to the 120SR, while the 300X is BIG compared to the 120SR.
+1 on "does not self level" I went from a 120SR to a T-rex 450 and just put a UH1-B fuselage on it. It is hand-ful but a great new learning experience. I still go to the 120 for in the house and outside. The 120SR is a great little bird and when you think you have mastered it," if you have a good TX," reset it to the " bat out of hell " setting and keep haveing fun. WS
Wind Spirit is offline Find More Posts by Wind Spirit
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:02 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,865 Posts
Quote:

I was told that if you can fly well a 120SR a 450 or bigger (of course if its fairly good adjusted and has not problems ) its even easier..

My biggest problem with the 120SR is that tendency of going elsewhere when you try to stop ... i guess probably due to the 45 flybar.. you release the sticks and it just pitches up a lot and then rockets backwards
"Rocketing backwards" would be caused by one of two problems. 1) The pushrod on the left needs to be adjusted. Center your trim. Hover your heli in front of you and note what the distance is that you have to make the rod move to keep it steady. Land and turn the ball link to that level. You may have to adjust the right link to compensate your left/right movement. 2) If the #1 technique doesn't work, it may be your 5-in-1. If you have a heli still under warranty, call (don't write in email) Horizon Hobby tech folk. They will solve the problem.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:34 AM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jun 2012
173 Posts
I flew 4 packs in light wind on the 120SR ..sax ..I'm sti;; flying all stock including batteries and love the little bird so do my squirrels ..by the way this is number two I just purchased a bnf from the local HS ..Happy flying
venicebill is offline Find More Posts by venicebill
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:39 PM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Sep 2012
525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Actually, on the Left Margin, under Your Control Panel, click Edit Option. There, you could set it up so that it will save ALL you outgoing PMs in the Sent Folder, so that you don't have to remember to check that option in every single PM.
Thanks for that. Makes things easier
SR120 fan is offline Find More Posts by SR120 fan
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:41 PM
Joined Sep 2012
525 Posts
Desperately want my parts to turn up tomorrow. All this talk is getting me so frustrated lol
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:18 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR120 fan View Post
Desperately want my parts to turn up tomorrow. All this talk is getting me so frustrated lol
Yeah, like my DX8 I'm unpatiently waiting to get back from Horizon Hobby.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:21 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDude View Post
Oh, absolutley not! I didn't get your PM. I have seen other other members often mention that PM's didn't go thru. I have no idea why though.
Kyle
Kyle, did you get mine... about the animated gif?
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX9 HobbyZone Champ RUD>AIL Mix
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:28 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,853 Posts
Quote:
<SNIP>
It sounds like your heli has been doing this from day one. No crashes? No parts replaced? Have you tried popping the links off (one at a time) and polishing the balls with small pieces of brown paper bag (inside of links too)? Check the balls for plastic slag. Did you balance and track your flybar (yeah, i track my flybar). Check the hole of the flybar carefully,,..where the main shaft goes through,,..does it look elongated with a lot of play when you move it around...side to side etc.?? Good luck.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:42 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,374 Posts
Quote:

That is what is called the Pendulum Effect...nothing you can do about it. All 45degree flybared helis suffer from this..my 120sr and my msr does the same thing....have to fly around it.
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:53 AM
Joined Sep 2012
525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
It sounds like your heli has been doing this from day one. No crashes? No parts replaced? Have you tried popping the links off (one at a time) and polishing the balls with small pieces of brown paper bag (inside of links too)? Check the balls for plastic slag. Did you balance and track your flybar (yeah, i track my flybar). Check the hole of the flybar carefully,,..where the main shaft goes through,,..does it look elongated with a lot of play when you move it around...side to side etc.?? Good luck.

Mike.
A newbie question can the links actually get bent in such away they need replacing as I never bothered to look at them when checking over my heli and making my order?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:01 AM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,374 Posts
Quote:
A newbie question can the links actually get bent in such away they need replacing as I never bothered to look at them when checking over my heli and making my order?
It's not that they get bent. the holes get enlarged due to wear.
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:24 AM
Joined Sep 2012
525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
It's not that they get bent. the holes get enlarged due to wear.
So they pass over the ball and that's the problem?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:30 AM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,824 Posts
Quote:
Never seen a bent one. As jake mentioned, the holes wear out, but this can be minimized by keeping them lubed well. I use silicone spray lube, but don't actually spray it on as it makes a mess with that much lube. I spray a shot in the garbage can, then touch the nozzle to the ball joints, leaving a small drip on the joint.
A bigger problem is losing the links in a crash. They pop of off pretty easy, and if it is in grass or such, they almost never can be found. It is good to have some on hand.

Cheers,
Kyle
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude