SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:56 AM
Gravity's a harsh Mistress....
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Jan 2007
2,817 Posts
Is it just me, or does the transmitter make all the difference? I'll admit I'm somewhat of a noob to heli's, but when I was "trying " to fly my 120 SR with my old DX6i, it was an exercise in frustration...it just wouldn't fly as it should have and was wondering why it got all the raves it did. It was drifting all over, wouldn't hold a hover, just pain. It got put on the shelf for 6 months or so.

About a month ago, I got a heck of a deal on a DX7s at the LHS, and took it home. I noticed right off the bat my planes were flying better, more locked in than on the DX6i. I took the 120 SR off the shelf last night to give it another chance.....WHAT A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE!! Right off the bat, it was hovering, no wondering, and no trim needed, and a true pleasure to fly now. The TX made all the difference..
southernmd_man is offline Find More Posts by southernmd_man
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:00 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmd_man View Post
Is it just me, or does the transmitter make all the difference? I'll admit I'm somewhat of a noob to heli's, but when I was "trying " to fly my 120 SR with my old DX6i, it was an exercise in frustration...it just wouldn't fly as it should have and was wondering why it got all the raves it did. It was drifting all over, wouldn't hold a hover, just pain. It got put on the shelf for 6 months or so.

About a month ago, I got a heck of a deal on a DX7s at the LHS, and took it home. I noticed right off the bat my planes were flying better, more locked in than on the DX6i. I took the 120 SR off the shelf last night to give it another chance.....WHAT A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE!! Right off the bat, it was hovering, no wondering, and no trim needed, and a true pleasure to fly now. The TX made all the difference..
The two TX's should fly with the same feel. I wonder if your settings in the DX6i somehow got inadvertantly changed?
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:13 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,864 Posts
BD, they were suspicious... You must have looked like a huffer! were you wearing your pants down to your butt or something?

Thats HUFFER not BUFFER!! LOL
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:25 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
Joined Aug 2011
3,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
BD, they were suspicious... You must have looked like a huffer! were you wearing your pants down to your butt or something?

Thats HUFFER not BUFFER!! LOL
LOL! Say What?
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:31 PM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Sep 2012
508 Posts
Still waiting on all my parts to fix my Sr. I checked my account on the site and it is because two of them are whats called 'shadow stocked' and have to come from a different warehouse but I'm thinking they will get sent out tomorrow. The weather would have made it impossible to fly anyway.

Out of interest does the MCX2 keep people entertained for a while or do they quickly get bored and would it better just to go for a mSR. I just want something fun for indoors, but with a little spirit but not to frisky it will be bouncing off walls whilst waiting for good weather to fly my SR. I loved my old cheap 4 channels so I'm thinking it should be well up for the job, but its not cheap so I dont want to throw money away.
SR120 fan is offline Find More Posts by SR120 fan
Last edited by SR120 fan; Sep 25, 2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:41 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,864 Posts
It all depends on you idea of "fun." I like both and the mSRs for flying in the house. You can practice all your moves indoors like backward flying.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:50 PM
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Dec 2011
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR120 fan View Post
Out of interest does the MCX2 keep people entertained for a while or do they quickly get bored and would it better just to go for an mSR.
If you're flying an SR then I think you'd want an mCPX for indoors.
The mSR is fixed-pitch and the mCX2 is a coax. The mCX2 is great for total beginners. You can get it to rip around pretty well with high rates on the tx, especially if you mod. it to move the LiPo forward, but it's still a coax. Watch for the death dive when applying left aileron while flying fast forward ! lol
Brian VT is online now Find More Posts by Brian VT
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:20 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,864 Posts
Not to differ, but I was of your line of reasoning, FP vs coax. However, neither heli flies exactky like the SR120 and they both keep the mind/thumbs in practice while stuck indoors. I have just recently returned to coax to only realize that because you can't screw them up flying, they are great fun. I could quote Jack Nicholas on this. No, I don't know if he flies R/C, but he said in books to practice 1-foot putts to gain confidence for the long putt. Then, increase your distance and don't go any farther until you can putt them all in with one stroke. Coax are the 1-foot putt!!
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:24 PM
Joined Sep 2012
508 Posts
I'm not sure Im ready for a collective pitch as I'm barely able to control my 120 as it is. It would be for just a bit of fun and I want to be able to use the basic remote that came with my 120 or can you use it with a cp?
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:44 PM
Joined Sep 2012
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
Not to differ, but I was of your line of reasoning, FP vs coax. However, neither heli flies exactky like the SR120 and they both keep the mind/thumbs in practice while stuck indoors. I have just recently returned to coax to only realize that because you can't screw them up flying, they are great fun. I could quote Jack Nicholas on this. No, I don't know if he flies R/C, but he said in books to practice 1-foot putts to gain confidence for the long putt. Then, increase your distance and don't go any farther until you can putt them all in with one stroke. Coax are the 1-foot putt!!

Yeah that would of kind of been the point of it just to get a bit a confidence and hassle free flying. Plus it would be a good heli for the wife to play with if she can pry the radio off me. I will probably stick with the idea of the mSRx but not the cp.

thanks
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:17 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,742 Posts
IMHO, SR120Fan, if you're looking for something primarily for indoor relaxation, you should go with the coaxial. The mCPx is still too large, and head speed is scary high for indoor applications. Perhaps, it's just my low skill. Both the mSRx and mSR are small enough for indoor. However, they are fast. They are meant for outside, with room to stretch. Flying them indoor takes a lot of discipline. It's not relaxation.

If you're looking for a good heli for the wife, and from the sound of it, she's not a skilled pilot, I would recommend the mCX2. And since this is for indoor, and DSM is not a must, consider even the low cost IR toys.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:22 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
Joined Aug 2011
3,776 Posts
Quote:
Yeah that would of kind of been the point of it just to get a bit a confidence and hassle free flying. Plus it would be a good heli for the wife to play with if she can pry the radio off me. I will probably stick with the idea of the mSRx but not the cp.

thanks
I also think it depends on the amount of room you have indoors, and how hard you want to work at flying it. For me a coax would make more sense, if I had little room, or just wanted to relax and fly. An FP if you have a little more room and want to work at it a bit. I personally would get a coax, cause I allready have a FP in the 120SR, doesn't make much sense to almost duplicate it with a mSR, when I don't own a coax.

I HIGHLY recommend mastering the 120SR before moving up to CP to avoid disappointment.

A coax will be much easier for your wife to start out on.

And I don't think the TX that came with the 120 is a good idea for a CP heli.

Check your PM SR120 Fan.
Last edited by BattleDude; Sep 25, 2012 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:37 PM
St. Louis, Mo.
Joined Jun 2008
394 Posts
I had my MCX2 out today and ran the dogs into the bedroom with it. A very relaxed heli for indoors. I have an MSR and a 120 sr, neither of which I would try indoors. I tried a CP a couple years ago and it didn't go well. I think my skill level on helicopters tops out at FP. I am more a plane guy but go through periods where only a heli will satisfy. Take your time and work up to CP. Don't get too antsy to go that route as I did. It gets expensive real quick.
rwek is offline Find More Posts by rwek
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:07 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,864 Posts
Quote:

thanks
I got to tell you... I thought that the little Blade Scout would be so "beneath" me until I flew one!!! There is a dual rate and if you put it on high, it moves pretty well. I am also told (I have to do it) that you can hop it up to really scoot. This is why the CX helis are a lot of fun when indoor.
Last edited by Saxguy1000; Sep 25, 2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:12 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,864 Posts
Great news tonight... My DX8 is on the way back and is already in Richmond (90 miles away). Woohoo!!!!! Can't wait. I thought I was going to have to start using the heli patch. Like the nicotine patch only it doesn't help!!!