SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:32 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahfu View Post
Will digital servos work with the 2612 RX? I have one servo out and a second that is acting a bit off. I want to replace all the cylic servos with metal geared servos.
Yes, you can always go digital servo on analog radio. It's the opposite that can be iffy.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2011, 05:36 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Sep 2011
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
DEFINITELY NEED DIGITAL SERVOS!

I often forget to mention that in my own discussions about mounting the 2702 up to the 4f200, but it is critical!

The good thing is that the stock ESKY HBKII items work perfectly, and fit fine, and are cheap, and a lot of us happen to have them around the house anyway, so for me, I did not even have to order parts to do the conversion, I already had them on hand.

I did not however, mount digital servos on the 4f200 that I put the 2618 on. I looked at the bill of materials/parts list for the 4f200LM, and it uses the same non-digital servos that the 4f200 uses, so there should be no problem functionally, although if performance is sluggish or otherwise not up to par, then that would be among the first things to check/eliminate, I would think, especially in order to do a fair comparison between just the radios themselves.
Tracknoob, are you flying the 2618 and the 2702? I would like to hear your opinion on their differances if you are. I'm playing with the idea of upgrading the RX. With all other things being equal what does the 2701 have over the 2618? Is it just a little better or a lot better? Ojo gave some some good information to someone's simular question but unfortunetly ojo hadn't flown the 2618 according to the post.
Mahfu is offline Find More Posts by Mahfu
Old Oct 30, 2011, 05:52 PM
Joined Sep 2011
63 Posts
Servo upgrade

After two flights and two crashes I have one servo that is completely out and another that is acting odd. With what I've read from posts the stock servos for the 4F200 are a bit on the fragle side. I'm now looking to upgrade the servos to a model that is a bit more durable. So far my research has turned up the Futaba S3154, S3114 (analog), and MKS DS470. Since I'm looking for durability and possible future RX upgrades I'm pretty sure I'm going with the MKS DS470 since it is metal and digital.

Does anyone have any positive or negative input on the DS470?

Are there any other servos out there that work that I didn't mention?

I was orginally thinking of just replacing the cyclics but will the DS470 work for the tail too?
Old Oct 30, 2011, 06:19 PM
Returning Hobbyist
United States, IL, Fox Lake
Joined Mar 2011
3 Posts
4F200 Main Blade Modification

Hi,

I have a Walkera 4F200 and needed to replace a shredded set main rotor blades. I was thinking while I was at it, to modify it to help with the tail wobble problem I was having with this model. I bought a set of 4F180 blade holders and a set of 4F180 main blades so that I could standardize the blade thickness with other brands and to use smaller main blades to improve the torque characteristics of the main blades. This is to help minimize the tail wobble when changing my throttle level during flights. I also bought some carbon fiber tail blades from the trex 250 so it was looking slick and fancy.
I think the head speed increased a little so it improved the tail rpm too to improve the tail hold a little. I chose to replace the main blades with Walkera 4F180 ones because they come as a matched set and don't need much balancing. A small note on balancing 3 blades: Find the heavy blade of the 3 and then balance the other 2 one at a time so all 3 match. Hope this helps someone out. It gave me some increased confidence in flying this challenging model.
kmilbrandt is offline Find More Posts by kmilbrandt
Last edited by kmilbrandt; Oct 30, 2011 at 06:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 30, 2011, 06:20 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,174 Posts
Quote:
Tracknoob, are you flying the 2618 and the 2702? I would like to hear your opinion on their differances if you are. I'm playing with the idea of upgrading the RX. With all other things being equal what does the 2701 have over the 2618? Is it just a little better or a lot better? Ojo gave some some good information to someone's simular question but unfortunetly ojo hadn't flown the 2618 according to the post.
The combo of 2702 and digital servos, versus the 2618 with analog, is what I would call 'noticable' but not dramatic, in my type of noob sport flying.

The 2702 heli seems both more stable, and more responsive to me, which is a combo you usually don't get, as you usually have to make trade-offs between those two attributes.

Don't get me wrong -- the 2618 heli flies fine. If I did not have them in literal side by side comparison, it would be hard for me to quantify the difference.

I think you'd need to get a '3D' guy to really wring them out in order to be precise on the differences, so if you are not going to be doing 3D, I bet you will be fine with the 2618 -- especially since the upgrade path to the 2702 means changing the cyclic servos out too, in addition to being almost twice as expensive a radio in street price to begin with. Besides the firmware and different set up method (which is more like the BeastX on the 2702), I believe the processor is both more powerful and faster on the 2702. How that manifests itself into stick performance, I can't quantify, but I was just so frustrated with the 2612 throwing my heli to the dirt, that I wanted to kind of 'go nuclear' with a solution that was almost proven to work, and this was also before the 2618 was released or even heard of.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Oct 30, 2011, 07:28 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
After two flights and two crashes I have one servo that is completely out and another that is acting odd. With what I've read from posts the stock servos for the 4F200 are a bit on the fragle side. I'm now looking to upgrade the servos to a model that is a bit more durable. So far my research has turned up the Futaba S3154, S3114 (analog), and MKS DS470. Since I'm looking for durability and possible future RX upgrades I'm pretty sure I'm going with the MKS DS470 since it is metal and digital.

I was orginally thinking of just replacing the cyclics but will the DS470 work for the tail too?
Ive read the following was a tested combo selection. Its all in this thread if you want to search it out.

FUTABA S3108 MICRO SERVOS on cyclic

Align DS410 on tail
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Oct 30, 2011, 07:56 PM
1 year flyin' & lovin' it!
United States, CA, Covina
Joined Aug 2011
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
The combo of 2702 and digital servos, versus the 2618 with analog, is what I would call 'noticable' but not dramatic, in my type of noob sport flying.

The 2702 heli seems both more stable, and more responsive to me, which is a combo you usually don't get, as you usually have to make trade-offs between those two attributes.

Don't get me wrong -- the 2618 heli flies fine. If I did not have them in literal side by side comparison, it would be hard for me to quantify the difference.

I think you'd need to get a '3D' guy to really wring them out in order to be precise on the differences, so if you are not going to be doing 3D, I bet you will be fine with the 2618 -- especially since the upgrade path to the 2702 means changing the cyclic servos out too, in addition to being almost twice as expensive a radio in street price to begin with. Besides the firmware and different set up method (which is more like the BeastX on the 2702), I believe the processor is both more powerful and faster on the 2702. How that manifests itself into stick performance, I can't quantify, but I was just so frustrated with the 2612 throwing my heli to the dirt, that I wanted to kind of 'go nuclear' with a solution that was almost proven to work, and this was also before the 2618 was released or even heard of.
I'm on board with what was said here. Although I've heard a lot of good things about the 2702, I think you should stick with the 2618. I switched to the 2618 because I also have a 4F200LM. I wrote Walkera and they told me there were "programming differences" between the 2612 & 2618. I considered the 2618 an "upgraded" Rx from the 2612. The 2702 is twice the price, and requires digital servo upgrade.

Also, digital cyclic servos are nice, but not necessary, unless you go with the 2702. I have a set of the Futaba S3114's which have replacement gears available for about $6.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against the 2702, I just don't think it's necessary for this size heli. I am actually upgrading my HIKO 400 with it because I went FBL with it. I'm also looking at the Futaba S3154's for the cyclics. They use the same gears as the S3114'S. Also look at the EXI D213F digital servos, they are inexpensive MGS.

AB
OldGuyHelifly11 is offline Find More Posts by OldGuyHelifly11
Old Oct 30, 2011, 07:59 PM
Joined Aug 2011
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
Ive read the following was a tested combo selection. Its all in this thread if you want to search it out.

FUTABA S3108 MICRO SERVOS on cyclic

Align DS410 on tail
Also look at the INO-LAB D201 for your tail. I have it on 2 of my helis.

AB
Old Oct 31, 2011, 04:16 PM
Joined Aug 2011
470 Posts
I finally finished modding my 4F200. I got the Futaba S3114 Cyclic servos installed, and the INO-LAB HGD-201HB digital tail servo installed. I am amazed at the responsiveness of the Futabas, they work well with the 3G system. The tail holds rock solid, and is also quick to respond. The specs are as follows:

Stock Walkera 7.6-6 Futaba S3114
8.4g 7.8g
.12sec/60deg .10sec/60deg
1.4kg/cm 1.5/kg/cm
22.5x11.5x24mm 21.8x11x19.8mm

Tail Wk-0902-H INO-LAB D-201
8.2g 9.1g
.08sec/60deg .07sec/60deg
2.0kgf.cm 0.9kg.cm
22.4x11.9x26.5mm 23x11.4x25mm
nylon gear carbon gear & aluminum heat sink

All servos are a direct drop in replacement.

The S3114 has replacement gears available, which should minimize costs in the event of a crash. I got some spares here; http://www3.omnimodels.com/cgi-bin/w...I=FUTM3467&P=7

Happy flying!
AB
Old Oct 31, 2011, 10:53 PM
Joined Sep 2011
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuyHelifly11 View Post

Also, digital cyclic servos are nice, but not necessary, unless you go with the 2702. I have a set of the Futaba S3114's which have replacement gears available for about $6.

AB
Replacing the gearing for $6 is not a bad option. I've watched Finless Bob's video on replacing servo gears and it looks pretty straight forward. I think I'm still stuck on metal gears though. My street smarts is telling me that a metal servo is more durable. The engineer side of me tells me that if the stress of a crash doesn't go into stripping out servo gears then where does it go next and how much money and time will that damage cost me? If I just start breaking and bending ball links I'll take it. If I start damaging swash plates I look into other solutions.

I think that I'm going to go with the MKS DS470 that ojo is using for cylic. For the tail I'm going with the INO-LAB HG-D201HB AL that OldGuyHelifly recommended.

I'm might as well take the jump an replace the TX too. I'm thinking the 2618. I know that I don't need digital servos for that one but I'm mainly looking for durability right now with my skill level and an easy upgrade once my skill improve if I choose.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:25 PM
Joined Aug 2011
470 Posts
Quote:
Replacing the gearing for $6 is not a bad option. I've watched Finless Bob's video on replacing servo gears and it looks pretty straight forward. I think I'm still stuck on metal gears though. My street smarts is telling me that a metal servo is more durable. The engineer side of me tells me that if the stress of a crash doesn't go into stripping out servo gears then where does it go next and how much money and time will that damage cost me? If I just start breaking and bending ball links I'll take it. If I start damaging swash plates I look into other solutions.

Thanks for everyone's input.
I'm wondering where will that energy go too. I had one incident where I had to put my 4F200 down because of a gyro glitch, I think...It started spinning out of control, and I had to cut the throttle. Luckily over grass, but the blades caught the ground, and I feared the worst. I figured servo gears, & main gears at the least. Nothing, but a servo horn & ball link rod. Whew!
And I was all geared up to replace the servo gears. I think that this is a pretty durable heli. Go ahead & take the chance on the MGS. Let me know how it works out!

Good luck!
AB
Old Nov 01, 2011, 08:19 PM
Joined Sep 2011
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuyHelifly11 View Post
I'm wondering where will that energy go too. I had one incident where I had to put my 4F200 down because of a gyro glitch, I think...It started spinning out of control, and I had to cut the throttle. Luckily over grass, but the blades caught the ground, and I feared the worst. I figured servo gears, & main gears at the least. Nothing, but a servo horn & ball link rod. Whew!
And I was all geared up to replace the servo gears. I think that this is a pretty durable heli. Go ahead & take the chance on the MGS. Let me know how it works out!

Good luck!
AB
Good to hear that you only had minor damage after your crash. I'm looking forward to having upgraded servos for my next oblique landing.

Does anyone happen to know where I can pickup some MSK DS470 servos? I have seen them at Hobby King and they are on backorder there. I would also like to order from some where inside the US. The only other place that I can find them in the US is from the MKS site and they are $10 more than what Hobby King is asking.
Old Nov 03, 2011, 02:34 PM
ojo
Joined Dec 2006
53 Posts
Quote:

Hi,

I use the 470 for cyclic with the 2702 and they work great and survived two crashes unharmed. For the tail, they are too slow. I use the Graupner DS477BB instead, costs 20Euro and is really fast.

Regards, Ojo
ojo is online now Find More Posts by ojo
Old Nov 03, 2011, 04:19 PM
"you'll play to live "
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Sep 2009
1,710 Posts
[QUOTE
Does anyone happen to know where I can pickup some MSK DS470 servos? I have seen them at Hobby King and they are on backorder there. I would also like to order from some where inside the US. The only other place that I can find them in the US is from the MKS site and they are $10 more than what Hobby King is asking.[/QUOTE]

MSK DS470 servos need to reverse RX (90*)to be working as those servos don't match direction of stock RX.
AC
Alwayscrash is offline Find More Posts by Alwayscrash
Old Nov 03, 2011, 04:29 PM
ojo
Joined Dec 2006
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwayscrash View Post
[QUOTE
Does anyone happen to know where I can pickup some MSK DS470 servos? I have seen them at Hobby King and they are on backorder there. I would also like to order from some where inside the US. The only other place that I can find them in the US is from the MKS site and they are $10 more than what Hobby King is asking.
MSK DS470 servos need to reverse RX (90*)to be working as those servos don't match direction of stock RX.
AC[/QUOTE]

Hi Alwayscrash,

the 2702 allows to switch the gyro direction, so no need to reverse the RX. I strongly suggest to use the 2702, it really flies much better.

Regards, ojo
ojo is online now Find More Posts by ojo