SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 20, 2011, 07:27 PM
UK, Leeds.
Joined Mar 2009
398 Posts
I run 3s-the stock Esc is fine. When volts go up Amps come down.
rew-7 is offline Find More Posts by rew-7
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2011, 07:30 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Sep 2011
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuyHelifly11 View Post
Are you still using the stock setup? I'm getting about 8 min with upgraded motor/ESC setup & 1250mAh 25C Rhino's.

If you are going 3S, you will have to change your pinion, and I suggest going to a 30AESC.

AB
I'm all stock at the moment.
Mahfu is offline Find More Posts by Mahfu
Last edited by Mahfu; Oct 20, 2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 07:51 PM
Joined Sep 2011
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
First, I can't speak to a 3S set up, but I've included an 1800 mah 3s below to give you some scale, compared to stock 2S battery (also pictured, in silver). What I can tell you is that going to 3S means 1/3 higher voltage, and so you need to check KV of motor, capability of ESC and of BEC to handle it, etc. Given that I think it already has plenty of "punch" myself, I just haven't looked down that road.

As to a bigger capacity battery, I have one shoehorned in that is 1800maH vs 1500, and is also higher current ("C") rating as well. Of course, it is larger, costs more, weighs more, and since the canopy is already tight, barely fits the stock setup. In fact, it extends out over the 'shoe' at the bottom of the frame meant to stop the stock battery, so you'll want to pad out the bottom of the battery with extra foam, or remove the foot, so it doesn't press too hard all in one spot. Damaged lipo --not good!
Thanks for the photos and advice. One more thing that I'm looking for is a cheaper battery. I've looked thru the Turnigy/nano lines and all I can find that would fit well into the currnet space for the battery is a 1300mAh. If I can't get a higher mAh battery I would be almost as happy with buying more batteries that are cheaper. I might just give the 1300mAh Turnigy a try and see what I get out. If the stock 1500mAh is over reported the Turnigy could be a good alternative.

As for alterations I'm a little gun shy right now. I recently had to replace the main shaft on my V120D05 and I took the oppertunity (since it wouldn't come off the shaft anyway) to upgrade the rotor head. I have yet to get it working as well as it did before the work. I have a new stock rotor head waiting to replace the upgraded head on my workbench.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 03:21 PM
A very big city on the east coast
Joined May 2009
118 Posts
For all you who have flown the 4F200 - I am contemplating between this one, the HM version with the scale fuselage and the 4F180 (FP heli). I am not a big expert, too little time and space. I can fly FP helis around nicely and can handle the Genius to get it to hover. For having more fun and little frustration by downtimes (I'll fly this heli few times a year at me mother in law, who has a big house and garden) and repairs but a bit of challenge - which one would you recommend??
grimmrad is offline Find More Posts by grimmrad
Old Oct 24, 2011, 05:24 PM
Paris (France)
Joined Oct 2009
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmrad View Post
For all you who have flown the 4F200 - I am contemplating between this one, the HM version with the scale fuselage and the 4F180 (FP heli). I am not a big expert, too little time and space. I can fly FP helis around nicely and can handle the Genius to get it to hover. For having more fun and little frustration by downtimes (I'll fly this heli few times a year at me mother in law, who has a big house and garden) and repairs but a bit of challenge - which one would you recommend??
I have flown 4F180, 4F200, Genius, and 4F200 LM.
4F200 LM can be very very stable if you set Balance delay for a quick response (that is full CCW) and Gyros almost full CW, and 35 % expo. Of course with these settings, you wont be able to flight 3D, but that's not your purpose (and not mine).
4F180 is not so stable.
gdur is offline Find More Posts by gdur
Old Oct 24, 2011, 06:00 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdur View Post
4F180 is not so stable.
I have to disagree here. I think the 4F180 is as stable as it gets, apart from 45* phased heli's. The 4F200 is a high maintenance helicopter. If your going to fly at irregular intervals I think the 4F180 is a better choice.

My opinion anyhow

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:12 AM
Joined May 2009
118 Posts
What about the maintenance - I am worried that (given my experience so far) that it flies with my skill level for a few minutes, maybe a couple flights - than one crash and its out for repair, waiting for parts etc. Not a problem at home but if you are a place for only 6 days or so that would suck majorly...
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:44 AM
1 year flyin' & lovin' it!
United States, CA, Covina
Joined Aug 2011
470 Posts
With this hobby, you ARE going to crash, eventually. Any heli you buy is going to require maintenance, and to some degree, repair. Plan on stocking up on parts like blades, main gears, canopies, etc. It goes with the territory.

It's probably best to get a heli that you can afford to repair, and offer you the best chance of learning on. Just my 2 cents.

AB
OldGuyHelifly11 is offline Find More Posts by OldGuyHelifly11
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:57 AM
Moving Parts
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,428 Posts
If you don't have a CB180D in your collection, that would be a good addition because sometimes you feel like a nut and sometimes you don't!
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:33 AM
Joined May 2009
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperJack View Post
If you don't have a CB180D in your collection, that would be a good addition because sometimes you feel like a nut and sometimes you don't!
Got that one sitting in a house in the sunny italian countryside (not my house though)... Even made some aerial shots with it.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 02:25 PM
Joined Sep 2011
63 Posts
What size are the stock battery connectors on the 4F200? 3.5mm, 4mm os some other kind of connector?
Last edited by Mahfu; Oct 25, 2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 03:22 PM
Joined Aug 2011
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahfu View Post
What size are the stock battery connectors on the 4F200? 3.5mm, 4mm os some other kind of connector?
The banana connectors are 3.5mm.

AB
Old Oct 25, 2011, 03:32 PM
Joined Sep 2011
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuyHelifly11 View Post
The banana connectors are 3.5mm.

AB
Im guessing that the 3.5mm are not compatible with any other connector. I'm having trouble charger plugs and batteries that are 3.5mm. Would going to XT60 connectors be a reasonable option?
Old Oct 25, 2011, 03:40 PM
Joined Aug 2011
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahfu View Post
Im guessing that the 3.5mm are not compatible with any other connector. I'm having trouble charger plugs and batteries that are 3.5mm. Would going to XT60 connectors be a reasonable option?
Sure, if you don't mind spending the $$$. Dean's & compatibles work pretty good too. I have some of each, XT60 & Dean's. I don't like the banana or JST at all.

AB
Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:41 AM
Joined Sep 2011
63 Posts
Will digital servos work with the 2612 RX? I have one servo out and a second that is acting a bit off. I want to replace all the cylic servos with metal geared servos.