HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 24, 2011, 03:13 PM
Diverted by planks
tracknoob's Avatar
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rew-7 View Post
Sure it can,http://www.dealextreme.com/p/fiber-g...-15-pack-48344 I use these all the time. They perform the same as original and definatly help cut down on crash damage. I also run 3s and quite a high HS. These blades are just scaled up versions of V120/4G6 blades.

Just to note those are fiberglas, not foam.
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2011, 03:17 PM
Registered User
rew-7's Avatar
UK, Leeds.
Joined Mar 2009
398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Just to note those are fiberglas, not foam.
I know that's the description but they are foam when you get them. Unless they have changed them-I got my last batch of these 4 months ago.
rew-7 is offline Find More Posts by rew-7
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2011, 03:18 PM
Diverted by planks
tracknoob's Avatar
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rew-7 View Post
I know that's the description but they are foam when you get them.
Well, that would not make me very happy.

[shrug]
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2011, 03:28 PM
Registered User
rew-7's Avatar
UK, Leeds.
Joined Mar 2009
398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Well, that would not make me very happy.

[shrug]
My exact first response!

However, I had them so I tried them.... Now I only use these due to much less head damage in a crash and no change in flight characteristics. Add to this there quite cheap.
rew-7 is offline Find More Posts by rew-7
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2011, 03:51 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rew-7 View Post
Sure it can,http://www.dealextreme.com/p/fiber-g...-15-pack-48344 I use these all the time. They perform the same as original and definitely help cut down on crash damage. I also run 3s and quite a high HS. These blades are just scaled up versions of V120/4G6 blades.

I personally have had very little problems with tracking(above whats expected of a 3 blade heli) and balance the same as normal.
Thanks for the tip. It says they are fiberglass, but you can't beat the price.

I made this comment before I saw some of the posts regarding FG vs Foam. Thanks again for the tip.
clearprop88 is online now Find More Posts by clearprop88
Last edited by clearprop88; Sep 24, 2011 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Error
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2011, 03:53 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
I started with the Wow 4f200 settings, but I think I have over time done a tweak or two. Not sure exactly, but I think it's got to boil down to personal preference eventually anyway.



I have incidentally ended up with foam blades on two different helis and had trouble with balancing and tracking both. YMMV. Personally, on the 4f200, I think those cheapo plastic blades from Ebay for the Trex 250 are about the best deal in town, and they fly just like I like it -- crisp.

As to going to two blades... well, I am certainly guilty of a lot of 'spearmintin' and swappin' various stuff myself, so who am I to say? I will say that the sole reason that I got the 4f200 was the three blade head, and that with the right stabilization, the stock motor and stock tail make this a heckofa performer. I have a hop-up motor I got somewhere for it, but I've never been tempted to even take it out of the bag -- this thing SCOOTS, in all directions you can point it in.
Can you point me those plastic Trex 250 blades on eBay. I couldn't find them.
clearprop88 is online now Find More Posts by clearprop88
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2011, 04:05 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperJack View Post
Too bad you couldn't have gotten them to send you a RX2618V as replacement. The gyro on this one is always on - none of that 40 percent stuff which might be okay but my 4f200 flies like a dream with a 2618 receiver.
I installed the RX2618V in it this morning, and just like you say it flies like a dream. Not at first, but after trimming the swashplate it's very stable. No tipping tendancies at takeoff.

HOWEVER. After two flights one of the servo's started making those gear clicking noises. It doesn't take much to wipe out one these servo's.

This heli flies so well that I may give up the idea of a two bladed mod., for now anyway.
clearprop88 is online now Find More Posts by clearprop88
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2011, 05:25 PM
Moving Parts
ChopperJack's Avatar
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88 View Post
I installed the RX2618V in it this morning, and just like you say it flies like a dream. Not at first, but after trimming the swashplate it's very stable. No tipping tendancies at takeoff.

HOWEVER. After two flights one of the servo's started making those gear clicking noises. It doesn't take much to wipe out one these servo's.

This heli flies so well that I may give up the idea of a two bladed mod., for now anyway.
That is great!

I flew my 4f200 this morning. It is all about getting as much practice as I can to learn how to control it. I pretty much just hover and do some in and out from hover point. I was about to give up on it with the stock (receiver - ed jack) servo because it was almost impossible to control and wanted to tip over. I think I broke a servo not tool long ago and had to replace. Flying this one is a lot of fun. I've been flying from my driveway lately so I'm sure the neighbors think I've lost my mind (but that's okay)
ChopperJack is online now Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ChopperJack; Sep 25, 2011 at 03:15 AM. Reason: meant to say receiver
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2011, 06:04 PM
Diverted by planks
tracknoob's Avatar
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88 View Post
I installed the RX2618V in it this morning, and just like you say it flies like a dream. Not at first, but after trimming the swashplate it's very stable. No tipping tendancies at takeoff.

HOWEVER. After two flights one of the servo's started making those gear clicking noises. It doesn't take much to wipe out one these servo's.

This heli flies so well that I may give up the idea of a two bladed mod., for now anyway.
Yeah the servos will not bear ANY sort of crash or blade strike, etc, but I have yet to have one fail in flight, so I will stay with them for now on the 2618 heil. I think I ended up using exi D213F digitals on my 2702v 4f200, and they work GREAT -- imho, best little servo you can get for the size and price.

I did a quick controls check, set servo extent, verified pitch and swash leveling, etc and then spun it up in the living room, and it looks like its ready to go, so probably on Monday in the park.
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2011, 06:09 PM
Diverted by planks
tracknoob's Avatar
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88 View Post
Can you point me those plastic Trex 250 blades on eBay. I couldn't find them.
Here are the ones I bought (you can see pics of them installed a couple of pages back. They work great. $5.79 for two blades, free shipping, so you need to order three sets if you want to have an even amount of them.


http://www.ebay.com/itm/205mm-glass-...item20b714e69c


I see that you can even get 205mm woodies for like 3 bucks a set, shipped. Not sure I want to try those, though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-205mm-woo...item4cf88d719f

Yellow plastic ones for $6.50 shipped

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Set-Yellow...item3f0df9e151
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:35 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Here are the ones I bought (you can see pics of them installed a couple of pages back. They work great. $5.79 for two blades, free shipping, so you need to order three sets if you want to have an even amount of them.


http://www.ebay.com/itm/205mm-glass-...item20b714e69c


I see that you can even get 205mm woodies for like 3 bucks a set, shipped. Not sure I want to try those, though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-205mm-woo...item4cf88d719f

Yellow plastic ones for $6.50 shipped

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Set-Yellow...item3f0df9e151
Thanks for the tips on the blades.
The plastic ones look like they would shatter in a crash, and produce minimal damage.
clearprop88 is online now Find More Posts by clearprop88
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2011, 07:27 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
I replaced the servo today. It was the pitch servo.
I found out something interesting. The servo's used in this heli. are the same as the ones used in the Walkera 200, and 180 series, so I borrowed one from my 180Z, and popped it in the 4F200.
I found some T-Rex 250 blades in my supply box, and tried them in the 4F200.
The root is quite a bit thinner than the stock blades, around 1.2mm, so I had to use some washers as shims, also the chord is narrower. They fly OK, but I noticed some tracking error on these blades that I don't see on the stock blades. I think it's caused by the shim/washers I'm using.
Any comments on how to install these blades properly are welcome.
clearprop88 is online now Find More Posts by clearprop88
Last edited by clearprop88; Sep 25, 2011 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Comment
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2011, 07:30 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
PS I'm not sure what material these blades are made from. They are white, and possibly wood or foam.
clearprop88 is online now Find More Posts by clearprop88
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2011, 07:52 PM
Moving Parts
ChopperJack's Avatar
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,283 Posts
I think maybe new blades or recondition the originals

I have a small bottle of clear coat touch up "paint" I used to coat the ends of my blades which were scuffed recently. As I sanded the roughness away, I noticed pits and cracks in the ends which were covered by the clear coat. Good as new

I also used the clear coat to balance the blades. I put the heaviest blade on the balancer and added paint to the others until they all balanced against the heavy one. Now all four blades are balanced and the ends are ready for scuffing again . Previous to this technique, I had two sets that balanced so I installed them opposing each other which worked okay. (I'm getting 4f200 and 4f180 mixed up)

I also cranked in some more pitch. Best I can tell, the blades are at about 9.5 degrees now. Previous was maybe around 7 degrees. I may have to back it down a bit but the heli now takes off at about 33 percent throttle as opposed to 50 percent previously. It has been too windy here today but I did one test lift off just to see and it looks good so far.

SOMETHING THAT BUGGED ME: The Walkera manuals use the term "bell crank." I finally found a picture of a servo in one of the manuals which pointed to the "servo arm" referring to it as the "bell crank." They suggest removing the screw and reposition the "bellcrank" so it is at 90 degrees. My problem with that is that the spline shaft often will not let me line the arm up at 90 degrees so I have to position it with subtrim then adjust the link so everything is square again.
ChopperJack is online now Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ChopperJack; Sep 26, 2011 at 08:06 AM. Reason: me, 4f180, and 4f200 mixed up - lol
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:52 AM
1 year flyin' & lovin' it!
OldGuyHelifly11's Avatar
United States, CA, Covina
Joined Aug 2011
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88 View Post
I installed the RX2618V in it this morning, and just like you say it flies like a dream. Not at first, but after trimming the swashplate it's very stable. No tipping tendancies at takeoff.

HOWEVER. After two flights one of the servo's started making those gear clicking noises. It doesn't take much to wipe out one these servo's.

This heli flies so well that I may give up the idea of a two bladed mod., for now anyway.
I took mine out for a flight today, it reminded me of how much I like this thing after installing the Rx2618. What a blast!

AB
OldGuyHelifly11 is offline Find More Posts by OldGuyHelifly11
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Another new Walkera! HM 4F200 heli-parkflyer Micro Helis 84 Jan 08, 2011 02:40 PM
Off Site Walkera 4#3 2.4Ghz RTF - Metal Head Version nighthawk0077 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Nov 22, 2009 08:23 PM
Discussion Unique "mixer less" Bell Hiller Head design of the MSR plus Walkera 4#3 Mixer lesss EQMOD Micro Helis 47 Sep 26, 2009 11:59 PM
Discussion 45 Degree Flybar Conversion on a Walkera 4#3 V1 BELL HILLER head EQMOD Micro Helis 13 Sep 01, 2009 11:15 PM
Build Log Walkera 4#3 HH-65 USCG Dauphin--VIDEO 4 Blade head works page6 stevel48 Micro Helis 146 Dec 03, 2008 10:16 AM