HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2011, 06:27 PM
r/c dude
Sint Maarten
Joined Sep 2011
12 Posts
LOL so i take it thats the only main gear that will work (the walkera gear)
Mark Chance is offline Find More Posts by Mark Chance
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2011, 06:27 PM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
No others that I know of. Seems like you need a weak point in the system somewhere, and that main gear is fairly easy to replace. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Chance View Post
Any comment on my question about main gears? which are compatible or is there any other 3rd party versions?
Rafa's CB100 is offline Find More Posts by Rafa's CB100
Old Sep 06, 2011, 06:34 PM
r/c dude
Sint Maarten
Joined Sep 2011
12 Posts
Yes replace easy (work wise) ordering wise in the USA not so easy... everyoone i checked is out of stock, everyone with is either in Australia or Hong Kong lol.
Old Sep 06, 2011, 09:52 PM
Moving Parts
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,374 Posts
As far as I can tell, WOWhobbies has them in stock. If you order tomorrow and specify FedEx home delivery, you will probably have them on or before next Wednesday.
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2011, 10:02 PM
Moving Parts
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Nice pics!

Here are a couple of my own 4f200's, photo taken just today:

From this thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post19244802

I will probably take them to the park tomorrow for some 200-sized fun. The one with the 2701rx is a dream, the other one just got a 2618 strapped on it, so we will see how that makes it handle.
I installed a 2618 because it would improve the flight characteristics of the 4f200 the way I fly right now - mostly hover practice. My 4f200 experience went from blade crunching, gear stripping pins and needles tension to a more relaxed controllable enjoyable experience.

I would be very interested in your comparison of the 2701 vs. the 2618 in the 4f200

Thanks - Jack
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2011, 10:32 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperJack View Post
I installed a 2618 because it would improve the flight characteristics of the 4f200 the way I fly right now - mostly hover practice. My 4f200 experience went from blade crunching, gear stripping pins and needles tension to a more relaxed controllable enjoyable experience.

I would be very interested in your comparison of the 2701 vs. the 2618 in the 4f200

Thanks - Jack
Well, if the weather will cooperate (has been stormy and windy today, not sure what tomorrow is supposed to be like), then some time tomorrow I should be able to report both descriptive as well as video evidence of the two in nearly side by side conditions, back here to the thread!

I can tell you that after messing with replacing that tail shaft and gear, drilling and tapping the rotor hub, re-setting the belt tension, replacing the stripped main gear, replacing the trashed main blades, replacing one stripped servo, putting on a new canopy for the ripped one, and otherwise having to recover from a major crash which I attribute SOLELY to the flaky nature of the original rx, I am nervously hopeful that this will 'get 'er done'.

If not, then that is my very last experiment ever with the various Walkera radios on this particular model, and I will put my remaining 2702 on it, and then these two will remain relatively expensively adorned, but at least reliably functional, little helis - remember, you must also upgrade to digital servos to go with the 2702, it will burn out the stock cyclics!

(Of course, if it crashes in particularly spectacular fashion, then I'll just sweep it into a dustpan for potential parts reuse on the good one.)
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Last edited by tracknoob; Sep 06, 2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2011, 02:46 AM
ojo
Joined Dec 2006
53 Posts
Quote:

Thanks - Jack
Hi Jack,

I fly the 4f200 with a 2702 RX, MKS DS470 servos, better motor and YGE30 ESC and it is night and day compared to the stock configuration. I have also a GAUI X2 with uBeast and they are both very similar now. The Gaui tail is much better, but that is it.

Regards, Ojo
ojo is online now Find More Posts by ojo
Old Sep 07, 2011, 10:26 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,020 Posts
Well, I have to claim partial success at the 2618 today. That's not through any fault of it, or even the heli, but to my own failed repair.

The crash from a couple of weeks ago broke off the tail shaft. Putting in the new shaft yesterday meant removing the hub, which is held on with a tiny #1 screw, and I twisted the head right off trying to get it loose. To me that's a bad design, but this is a teeny tiny little jewel of a heli, so options are limited -- whatever goes in there has almost zero clearance, because the blade control linkage has to swing right over it -- you can see it is actually recessed for that reason:

In addition, the shaft has a notch so that the screw can seat and provide some anti-rotation.

My repair involved drilling out the hole for a 3mm grubscrew, and I toyed briefly with the idea of either sharpening the tip by grinding with Dremel, or extending the notch in the shaft to keep the anti-rotation. But then I figured a longer notch would weaken an already tiny part, and the idea of trying to remove material from such a tiny fastener did not appeal either. I should have just ordered stock replacement parts and waited, since aside from not being really servicable, the stock combo works outstanding unless you crash it.

But I figured with some good torque on the hex head, and some Loctite, and it would 'bite' sufficiently.

I was wrong.

I will put up video of both the 2702 flight, and the 2618 flight, but for now I will say that *I* screwed up by not making sure I had a good pitch/throttle curve for the 2618, and even when I overcame that by switching to idle up, the tail blades with hub came loose from the shaft, and so I piro'ed into the turf. Dang! Have not assessed damage yet, but I will be going back with stock Walkera replacement parts. The mechanical parts on these helis are tiny, and fussy, but they do work!

So, while I can't yet give an unqualified endorsement to the 2618, for the short time I flew it, it did fine. The tail had a *very* little waggle, so I probably needed a tiny tweak on the tail gain pot, and that would be it.

Videos coming.
Last edited by tracknoob; Sep 07, 2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old Sep 07, 2011, 11:35 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,020 Posts
The 4f200 with 2702:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHjFR8rmTKw

4F200 with 2618.... again, the crash was my fault, caused by tail rotor disconnect due to poor mechanical attachment. Luckily, the hub and tail rotor assembly floated down within feet of the heli. Damage, surprisingly, looks to be slight, if any!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adryABGl3lo
Old Sep 07, 2011, 11:47 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,020 Posts
Dang. You talk about a shocker -- outside of a little paint chipped off the rotor tips, I do not see any damage at all to this critter, even after it flew almost out of sight due to poor curves, then suffered tail rotor separation and a pirouetting crash landing.

This is how high it was when the uncontrollable piro started...luckily, I was already on a gentle decent path, so I held collective position and I instinctively did not alter the cyclic position as it came down. If I had been unlevel when this happened, it might have been worse, but as it was, all the energy was in rotation, not in extra vertical motion.

Last edited by tracknoob; Sep 07, 2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2011, 12:51 PM
r/c dude
Sint Maarten
Joined Sep 2011
12 Posts
Quote:
As far as I can tell, WOWhobbies has them in stock. If you order tomorrow and specify FedEx home delivery, you will probably have them on or before next Wednesday.
Wowhobbies is in the USA?

----------------------

just checked... seems theres more than one wow hobbies (one on ebay is from hong kong)

Thanks for the heads up

I dont like fedex or ups or dhl... USPS all the way is much faster and cheaper..... PS my stuff is delivered to Miami and i get it the following day in the caribbean via air freight from my freight forwarder.
Old Sep 07, 2011, 01:00 PM
r/c dude
Sint Maarten
Joined Sep 2011
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Sorry, all I have are "42 pages of umpa-loompa complaints."

Tracknoob..... any HB stores close to you selling 200-205mm blades that i can order online from... or send you paypal you get them for me and send to my miami freight forwarder address?
Old Sep 07, 2011, 01:10 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,020 Posts
Quote:
Tracknoob..... any HB stores close to you selling 200-205mm blades that i can order online from... or send you paypal you get them for me and send to my miami freight forwarder address?
Ebay is your friend.
Old Sep 07, 2011, 03:29 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Yes replace easy (work wise) ordering wise in the USA not so easy... everyoone i checked is out of stock, everyone with is either in Australia or Hong Kong lol.
ChineseJade is a good HK option if you cant source locally. A very reliable vendor with cheap flat rate postage.

Link- http://www.chinesejade.com/walkera.htm

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Sep 07, 2011, 06:36 PM
r/c dude
Sint Maarten
Joined Sep 2011
12 Posts
Tracknoob.

Trust me i am a EBAY FREAK! but like i said most vendors on there that has what i need in stock are in Hong Kong.

naturally i got the 5 sets of blades for 16 bucks dohicky 2x LOL..