SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 23, 2011, 08:12 PM
Joined Apr 2007
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urrl View Post
Please let us know how those SR servos work out.
Well, I finally got around to picking up 3 DS75 servos for a Blade Sr for $13.99 each. I also picked up two gear sets just in case.. (I should've gotten them futaba servos off of Ebay was way cheaper)

But I was right. It took about 5 mins of really fine Dremel work to get them to fit. Just grind down the ears a bit and slot the mounting hole down and Bamn.. Flying again.

The stock servo horns won't fit so you'll have to use the stock DS75 ones which are longer and adjustable with different holes. I used the 3rd hole out and I now have a bit more swash movement.

One top of everything else, I somehow lost that damn right tilt from lift off. She now takes off straight and as smooth as hell. I did lower my throttle curve a bit so the blades start spinning a bit earlier than before but no other adjustments.

I haven't crashed it yet as I'm still learning but wow.. these things fly great and like I said, I love the higher pitched sound they make vs two blade(ers) helis. If these servos fail, I'll let everyone know but you can turn these servos by hand (and quite fast) and no strippage..

Thanks
Ken

P.s. if anyone cares, I can post pictures later..
Hipendicular is offline Find More Posts by Hipendicular
Last edited by Hipendicular; Jan 23, 2011 at 08:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2011, 05:46 AM
ojo
Joined Dec 2006
53 Posts
Metal-Gear Servos

Hi,

since I use my 4f200 to learn I also crash more often than I like. Interestingly, only three things get damaged: main gear, blades and servo gears.
To make theses crashed less painfull, I switched to cheap 250 blades. That leaves main gear and servo gears. The main gear can be well reused with a few missing teeth. I learned that if you clear out the spaces between the teeth so that you can turn the main gear freely again, it is good to fly. So one main gear about every three blade strikes is ok for me.
Servos are the biggest problem. So my question: does any body has experience with metal gear servos? Which models fit? Especially, if you crash with a strong servo, what gets damaged instead of the gears?

Best regards, ojo
ojo is online now Find More Posts by ojo
Old Jan 24, 2011, 09:50 AM
Joined Sep 2010
484 Posts
Since I have put metal gear servo, I crashed only one time in a wall (indoor) and severely bent the linkage rod, they popped off at the same time, I found one in a ''L'' shape about 10 feet from the crash, the other was only slightly bent and still linked at one end........

There is some older walkera servo wich are cheaper to buy and the gear are compatible.
martin_ is offline Find More Posts by martin_
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:56 AM
ojo
Joined Dec 2006
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_ View Post
Since I have put metal gear servo, I crashed only one time in a wall (indoor)
Hi Martin,

what servos are you using?
ojo is online now Find More Posts by ojo
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:06 AM
USA, NC, Havelock
Joined Jan 2011
25 Posts
Does anyone know what size Alan tool the main blades and main gear and all the other stuff use? I'd like to buy another one or two because mine is sort of stripped.
Xextriz is offline Find More Posts by Xextriz
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:54 AM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xextriz View Post
Does anyone know what size Alan tool the main blades and main gear and all the other stuff use? I'd like to buy another one or two because mine is sort of stripped.
1.5mm.

Rafa
Rafa's CB100 is offline Find More Posts by Rafa's CB100
Old Jan 25, 2011, 09:11 AM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
Since we are talking about allens, what size is the little allen that holds the motor together? I don't think I have one that small yet. Thanks,

Rafa
Old Jan 25, 2011, 09:42 AM
"you'll play to live "
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Sep 2009
1,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa's CB100 View Post
Since we are talking about allens, what size is the little allen that holds the motor together? I don't think I have one that small yet. Thanks,

Rafa
1mm.
Alwayscrash is offline Find More Posts by Alwayscrash
Old Jan 25, 2011, 04:35 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Tail gear versions?

I dont know whether this has been posted yet, but I came accross an annoying issue yesterday when replacing a tail shaft. Once I fitted the new shaft the gear would bind on the tail box. It took me about three assemblies and dis-assemblies before I noticed Walkera have changed the gear design on the tail shaft. I checked my other remaining unopened tail gear stock and it was the later version as well. Both gear types are 5mm wide. The new gear type though has flat sides causing it to bind on the tail box. The old gear has curvature in the gear design to offer clearance. I ended up pressing the old gear onto the new shaft.

Mick

ps- best zoom the picture to see what I mean as my camera skills are lacking a little
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Last edited by Bravo47; Jan 25, 2011 at 04:38 PM. Reason: ps
Old Jan 25, 2011, 04:50 PM
Addicted Again
Wylie TX
Joined May 2009
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
I dont know whether this has been posted yet, but I came accross an annoying issue yesterday when replacing a tail shaft. Once I fitted the new shaft the gear would bind on the tail box. It took me about three assemblies and dis-assemblies before I noticed Walkera have changed the gear design on the tail shaft. I checked my other remaining unopened tail gear stock and it was the later version as well. Both gear types are 5mm wide. The new gear type though has flat sides causing it to bind on the tail box. The old gear has curvature in the gear design to offer clearance. I ended up pressing the old gear onto the new shaft.

Mick

ps- best zoom the picture to see what I mean as my camera skills are lacking a little
My tail shafts alway came un-assembled. The shaft, the gear, and the 2 sideplates were all seperate. I have always had to press on the sideplates
and gear myself. It looks to me like the 2 shaft assemblies in your photo are the same, but the plates are flipped on the "new" one.
ri0grand is offline Find More Posts by ri0grand
Old Jan 25, 2011, 05:28 PM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
+1. Whoever assembled that shaft for you did it backwards. The first one I ordered was like that, the rest have come unassembled, like ri0grand.

Rafa

Quote:

Mick

Old Jan 25, 2011, 08:46 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ri0grand View Post
My tail shafts alway came un-assembled. The shaft, the gear, and the 2 sideplates were all seperate. I have always had to press on the sideplates
and gear myself. It looks to me like the 2 shaft assemblies in your photo are the same, but the plates are flipped on the "new" one.
Thats odd mine have always come assembled. Heres another one the same unopened

I never knew the tail gear components could be separated.

Thx

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Jan 25, 2011, 08:58 PM
Addicted Again
Wylie TX
Joined May 2009
371 Posts
Quote:
Thats odd mine have always come assembled. Heres another one the same unopened

I never knew the tail gear components could be separated.

Thx

Mick
Mine have always been disassembled. When pressing on the gear or the plates, it is very easy to bend the shaft I have noticed. I always check mine after assembly now. It is not always easily noticed with out spinnng it up on something. If they get bent, they are easily straightened by spinning up in the drill press and applying a little force/friction. The heat seems to almost make the shaft true itself.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:43 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa's CB100 View Post
She grounded the 4F200. It's still in debate as to whether she said 'two weekends' or 'two weeks', but I sure didn't go flying yesterday.
(Don't worry too much, I know this will get chuckles.)

Rafa
I am sorry to hear about this, at least nobody was hurt. I thought your wife let you off lightly, mine might have imposed a lifetime ban.

In fact, she had been looking for excuses because she is worried me hanging out with the aeromodelling crowd in Hong Kong. It seems many of them have another hobby: soliciting prostitutes in China. I just cannot convince her to trust me
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Jan 26, 2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 01:16 PM
Addicted Again
Wylie TX
Joined May 2009
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
I am sorry to hear about this, at least nobody was hurt. I thought your wife let you off lightly, mine might have imposed a lifetime ban.

In fact, she had been looking for excuses because she is worried me hanging out with the aeromodelling crowd in Hong Kong. It seems many of them have another hobby: soliciting prostitutes in China. I just cannot convince her to trust me

Mine thought I should fly the heli a little less....so I picked up this to spend time on as a diversion.....

http://www.venom-group.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=6872

For $85 I thought it would be fun....putting in a 2801 Pro RX ....