HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2011, 09:14 AM
"you'll play to live "
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Sep 2009
1,710 Posts
4F200's RX 3axis only takes effect when there's throtle input , if swashplate is not perfectly leveled then at startup, it (RX) will try to correct swash horizontally but with very slow delay not like 2610 which is constantly active , also with additional stick input from pilot for compensating take off level will make it(RX) confused and provide tip-over symptom.If swashplate is well set then there's absolutly no tip over when take-off, even with cyclic input.Make sure in hover heli don't have any left/right banking, this is important for it's behavior when take off.For/aft are not related to tip-over problem.

AC
Alwayscrash is offline Find More Posts by Alwayscrash
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:31 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,260 Posts
Let's say if the heli tips to the right on take off, does it mean the swashplate is slightly tilted to the right or left? Thanks
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:41 PM
"you'll play to live "
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Sep 2009
1,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
Let's say if the heli tips to the right on take off, does it mean the swashplate is slightly tilted to the right or left? Thanks
Try to hover it and see if it's banking right then adjust swash to left a bit,for ex: turn CCW on right linkage from sevo to swash 1 turn and try again. Also, make sure that when moving throtle with motor disconnect,swash must be level in up or down movement,if not you have to check all servo arms are in same level before adjusting linkages.
AC
Old Jan 20, 2011, 03:00 PM
Joined Apr 2007
8 Posts
Eflite servos?

So last night I took apart my 3 stripped servos to see where the point of failure is. All three servos stripped the second gear before the servo horn-gear. What's was surprising was that some of the servos stripped the small part of the gear reduction part and others stripped the large part. But I had a few of my blade sr servos and they are just slightly bigger. As in a few mins with my dremel and I think I can make them fit. These servos are 13 bucks and you can get them and replacement gears anywhere.

I'm gonna try them. I've crashed my sr so bad that it went into three pieces and still I've only gone thru two servos.

All in all I love the way the 4f200 sounds and flys but I hope this servo problem goes away.

Thanks for the suggestions. Oh and for giggles all three of the cyclic servos needed to have the servo horns repositioned from the factory. I got my awash prett level with my servos centered but i think my pitch is off on one of my blades. I'm gonna pick up a pitch gauge real soon.

Thanks
Ken
Hipendicular is offline Find More Posts by Hipendicular
Last edited by Hipendicular; Jan 20, 2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 02:57 AM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipendicular View Post
So last night I took apart my 3 stripped servos to see where the point of failure is. All three servos stripped the second gear before the servo horn-gear. What's was surprising was that some of the servos stripped the small part of the gear reduction part and others stripped the large part. But I had a few of my blade sr servos and they are just slightly bigger. As in a few mins with my dremel and I think I can make them fit. These servos are 13 bucks and you can get them and replacement gears anywhere.

I'm gonna try them. I've crashed my sr so bad that it went into three pieces and still I've only gone thru two servos.

All in all I love the way the 4f200 sounds and flys but I hope this servo problem goes away.

Thanks for the suggestions. Oh and for giggles all three of the cyclic servos needed to have the servo horns repositioned from the factory. I got my awash prett level with my servos centered but i think my pitch is off on one of my blades. I'm gonna pick up a pitch gauge real soon.

Thanks
Ken
Please let us know how those SR servos work out.
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
Old Jan 21, 2011, 08:06 AM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,525 Posts
Noticed something this morning. Although there was a quarter inch of stripped main gear I flew anyway, but every time I lifted off it sounded like there was further stripping going on. After running almost thru the battery I inspected the gear and sure enough the damaged main gear was becoming further stripped, unlike what would happen with my SR. Fortunately the new main gear is being delivered today and I have 2 more on order. In fact I am going to try to make it to the post office that has it before they put it on the truck if that is possible. Since the big Lama body does not have the stock rear vertical strut to protect the rear rotor blade, I think the last hard landing caused the rear rotor to strike ground, causing the main rotor gear to begin stripping. I have since fabricated and installed a protective rear strut for the Big Lama body.
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
Last edited by urrl; Jan 21, 2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 02:18 PM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwayscrash View Post
yes, i'm using it, start smoother and runs cool with 2S. Have test 3S with "yellow Esc" but motor pinion must be less teeth otherwise HS is scary! CB180 motor pinion can do the job, just use the whole shaft/pinion , no need pinion extracter.
AC
Hi AC,

Thanks for the motor suggestion, I just ordered one. I've got a few questions, like usual. I notice that this motor is 4800kv. The stock motor says 'kv3900'. The stock motor also weighs ~25.5g, this one is supposed to be 29g.

Did you adjust your throttle curves down, or are you running a higher head speed? Are you using the stock pinion on this thing? Did you have to grind down the shaft, or were you able to transfer the whole shaft? I was a bit confused by your post above. Thanks,

Rafa
Rafa's CB100 is offline Find More Posts by Rafa's CB100
Old Jan 21, 2011, 03:12 PM
Joined Sep 2010
484 Posts
The stock motor KV rating is innacurate, I tachoed a head speed of +/- 4200rpm on a fresh pack with mine at 0 pitch and 100% throttle, wich means that the real KV of the stock motor is somewhere between 5500 to 6000KV.

3500 to 4000kv will be fine for 3S set-up.

2500 to 3000kv for 4S, I bet 10 to 12min of hovering with 4S.
martin_ is offline Find More Posts by martin_
Old Jan 21, 2011, 04:13 PM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_ View Post
The stock motor KV rating is innacurate, I tachoed a head speed of +/- 4200rpm on a fresh pack with mine at 0 pitch and 100% throttle, wich means that the real KV of the stock motor is somewhere between 5500 to 6000KV.

Thanks martin_. Makes me wonder how accurate the 4800KV is. AC, you got a tach?

Rafa
Old Jan 21, 2011, 04:25 PM
"you'll play to live "
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Sep 2009
1,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_ View Post

Rafa, using stock pinion will get very high HS, even scary to fly with 3S, better use 2S with it.If you want to try it with 3S then pinion must be diminish to 1~2 T,mine was taken from CB180 pinion(just take out shaft/pinion and put it on new one via the back hex screw).With 3S , HS will be around 5300 in hover,i doubt that frame and rotorhead can handle this! Also, there's no need to extract stock pinion,just use the hex screw on the back & swap the entire kit on the new motor, same dimeter.
This motor is running very cool and flight time is longer than stock motor.
AC
Old Jan 21, 2011, 04:59 PM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwayscrash View Post
Rafa, using stock pinion will get very high HS, even scary to fly with 3S, better use 2S with it.If you want to try it with 3S then pinion must be diminish to 1~2 T,mine was taken from CB180 pinion(just take out shaft/pinion and put it on new one via the back hex screw).With 3S , HS will be around 5300 in hover,i doubt that frame and rotorhead can handle this! Also, there's no need to extract stock pinion,just use the hex screw on the back & swap the entire kit on the new motor, same dimeter.
This motor is running very cool and flight time is longer than stock motor.
AC
Saaweet. I'm planning on 2S for this motor. The description says that it won't work for 3S. Glad to hear about the main shaft. Thanks again,

Rafa
Old Jan 23, 2011, 08:09 AM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
Oops!!

Got a little story for you guys.

This past Thursday, my wife and the kiddo went to a little party during the evening, leaving me free after work. Given my addiction, I decided to go flying at night, to test out my new light kit. I wound up flying under a street light in a big parking lot, and it was good .. .. .. until that one wrong move, when the heli hit the pavement. Luckily, only the blades were messed up, or so I thought.

I came home, threw on another set of blades that I already had balanced, and then sat there twidling my thumbs for a minute. I didn't want to drive back out to the parking lot, but I really wanted to know that the heli was good. I decided to try to fly (hover) it indoors for just just a second to make sure all was well. (Those of you who have been following this thread long enough will remember this newb's misfortune with trying to fly my 4F200 indoors!)

Well, I got her spun up, all seemed OK, then I tried to lift off. Instantly, bad things started to happen, as the heli went this way and that, ending up with it smacking the wall at about eye level. Well, not actually the wall. The heli first smacked my wife's 15 or so year old painting, from back when she was in art school in Colombia. Like 4 feet wide by 3 feet tall.

Remember that feeling that you would get when you were a little kid and you broke something and you knew you were going to be in trouble? Yup, that feeling. Ouch. The painting has a few 4 to 5 inch gashes, and a little chunk that we still haven't found. In that instant, it reminded me of that Mythbusters episode where they run propellers against the sides of aluminum planes, but that little chuckle was instantly quenched by that feeling I was telling you about.

The heli suffered another set of blades, and I noticed that one of the servo links had popped loose. I have to wonder if it didn't happen (partially?) during the first crash, and I only saw the blades.

She came home a half hour later, and by that time, I already had another set of blades on the 4F200, and I was buzzing the TechHead CB100 around in the other room. I figured I was already in trouble, so why not!

She grounded the 4F200. It's still in debate as to whether she said 'two weekends' or 'two weeks', but I sure didn't go flying yesterday.

She even told me to go out to the interwebs and tell my friends my misfortune, so that you guys won't make the same mistake.

Darn it. (Don't worry too much, I know this will get chuckles.)

Rafa
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:07 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa's CB100 View Post

Rafa
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents. You've added happy little trees..."
\
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:25 AM
los angeles,ca
Joined May 2010
2,591 Posts
Good morning Rafa, I have many holes in my blinds. My wife has a plant that I use to cut the leave with my cb100s. But she couldn't figure out what was happening to the leaves until one she was flying my 3 ch coaxial and she landed in the plant. Then realize what had happened. I said it wasn't me. hehehe Vronny p.s. but remember when first tried your 4F200 in the livingroom it wasn't pretty hehehe
vronny is offline Find More Posts by vronny
Old Jan 23, 2011, 04:29 PM
Addicted Again
Wylie TX
Joined May 2009
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa's CB100 View Post

This past Thursday, my wife and the kiddo went to a little party during the evening, leaving me free after work. Given my addiction, I decided to go flying at night, to test out my new light kit. I wound up flying under a street light in a big parking lot, and it was good .. .. .. until that one wrong move, when the heli hit the pavement. Luckily, only the blades were messed up, or so I thought.

I came home, threw on another set of blades that I already had balanced, and then sat there twidling my thumbs for a minute. I didn't want to drive back out to the parking lot, but I really wanted to know that the heli was good. I decided to try to fly (hover) it indoors for just just a second to make sure all was well. (Those of you who have been following this thread long enough will remember this newb's misfortune with trying to fly my 4F200 indoors!)

Well, I got her spun up, all seemed OK, then I tried to lift off. Instantly, bad things started to happen, as the heli went this way and that, ending up with it smacking the wall at about eye level. Well, not actually the wall. The heli first smacked my wife's 15 or so year old painting, from back when she was in art school in Colombia. Like 4 feet wide by 3 feet tall.

Remember that feeling that you would get when you were a little kid and you broke something and you knew you were going to be in trouble? Yup, that feeling. Ouch. The painting has a few 4 to 5 inch gashes, and a little chunk that we still haven't found. In that instant, it reminded me of that Mythbusters episode where they run propellers against the sides of aluminum planes, but that little chuckle was instantly quenched by that feeling I was telling you about.

The heli suffered another set of blades, and I noticed that one of the servo links had popped loose. I have to wonder if it didn't happen (partially?) during the first crash, and I only saw the blades.

She came home a half hour later, and by that time, I already had another set of blades on the 4F200, and I was buzzing the TechHead CB100 around in the other room. I figured I was already in trouble, so why not!

She grounded the 4F200. It's still in debate as to whether she said 'two weekends' or 'two weeks', but I sure didn't go flying yesterday.

She even told me to go out to the interwebs and tell my friends my misfortune, so that you guys won't make the same mistake.

Darn it. (Don't worry too much, I know this will get chuckles.)

Rafa
Serious doghouse dude....

I noticed my links were getting real easy to pop off too. Decided to change all mine. The Walkera replacement links I got form WOW all were way too long and had coarse thread rods. I ended up reusing my old rods with the new ends. What a difference that made taking play out of the assembly!

Good luck on your artwork restoration.....
ri0grand is offline Find More Posts by ri0grand