HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2010, 07:20 PM
Joined Jan 2009
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
Usually with any waranty problem the buyer almost always pays one way. A couple of years ago I purchased an X52pro HOTAS for my sims within Australia. It had a defective button and I had to raise a return order then post the item back for repair. Early this year I purchased a DVD/GPS combo from a Chinese dealer, and the clip broke that retained the GPS SD chip. I followed the same process as the OZ dealer raising a waranty order and mailing the item back to China. The product was assessed, processed, repaired, and returned, no probs. The RC helicopters I buy are mostly under $200US, so there would have to be a very serious issue for me to bother mailing anything back. Generally if a part is broken in the box I just cop it sweet and order the required part. When it comes to RC aircraft I'm guessing dealers are always tormented by clients who deam their purchase defective because it falls out of the sky all the time. In my view RC aircraft are are "study hobby" like "DCS Blackshark" is a study sim. So learning how to repair aircraft is a required part of the hobby. I realise US vendors put a great amount of time into this forum, but at the end of the day if postage costs from the US to OZ are not clearly defined, and at a competive rate its hard not to choose the HK dealer who offers cheap postage, and excellant pricing right from the word go.

eg: when I purchased my LM3 with 2801p TX pricing ranged from $329US to $500US plus postage

eg: with my 4F200, I initially had it in the basket from a US vendor, but when the vendor noted that postage cost would be emailed after purchase. I backed out and purchased from a HK dealer 30% cheaper in the end.

Postage costs from US to OZ vary greatly for some reason I dont understand. The world is not that big these days.

regards

Mick

ps- Like FlyaKite says if we lived in the US we would be in a better position to support local vendors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
Something's "rotten in the state of Denmark". I currently have 2 foam planes coming. Both are about the same size of box. One was much cheaper from Hong Kong while the other was slightly cheaper from a hobby shop in Georgia, USA. I'm in Canada.
My prices are compared with well known, large sellers in California. Shipping from California by USPS was $117.00 (international). This is almost what the plane cost. Shipping from Hong Kong was $50.00. Shipping from Georgia was $20.00 (international). Both supply me with tracking numbers.
Now one has to scratch one's head and wonder why the California shop charges $117.00 for the same shipping that can be done for $20.00. Somebody is doing a "snow job".
HeliProz has this similar outrageous international shipping. When I phoned them and challenged them on it, their only defense was that's the way USPS has set up their rate system. A few hours later, they contacted me back to say that there was a "glitch" in the USPS rate system and shipping would be much, much less now. Sorry, that excuse doesn't work with me. You tried to hose me once. What other areas will you hose me later?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp09 View Post
I am in Canada too. I find it usually more expensive to ship from the States than from Asia, especially small items. I am scared by the infamous UPS brokerage fee across the border too. Surprisingly USPS from the States isn't faster than airmail from HongKong.

I'll keep looking for good deals worldwide, not excluding the States.

Return shipping from Canada is always expensive regardles, unless it is small enough to fit inside a letter without going to parcel post. I definitely stay away from Walkera alpha trials to avoid repairs/returns.
I live in France and often order spare parts from HK and US. Well, mostly from HK for obvious shipping fees reasons.

What I noticed tho, is that the USPS fees seem to vary from a vendor to another... I know at least three online vendors that will charge me at least 30$ a regular international airmail with tracking.
I was then really surprised when I noticed another online vendor who charged me only 8$ using USPS as well. And moreover, the items were packed in a small flat rate box.
I will even quote a vendor who sent an item to France for the first time: "I repackaged the item so I could get it in a padded envelope and saved $10! The shipping was less than $3! I like shipping to France Viva la France!"

So does someone living in the US know why there are such different rates?
Teckos is offline Find More Posts by Teckos
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2010, 07:55 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
7,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckos View Post
So does someone living in the US know why there are such different rates?
I don't live in the US but I'd like to know the real answer to this question as well.

I have some theories, however. USPS has a system of rates for shipping various things. Aside from weight and package size (which will be a constant), I believe they have one fee structure for the private citizen who sends something internationally and another fee structure for shipments originating from businesses.
If a business really wanted to, they can send these things as private citizens by taking the package to the postal station and mailing it in person. (I have a few sellers who do this and do my best to give them as much of my business as possible.) Most businesses have such a high volume that they can't do this. In these cases, they have USPS come to their place of business to pick up the packages. All paperwork is likely done online and the packing slips are attached at the shop. The price for this would be much, much higher. How much higher would be quite interesting to know.
Another theory is that most shipping costs include "handling charges". This is a favorite scam with ebay sellers. They can sell you something at a very competitive price but then charge you outrageous "shipping and handling" fees. I don't take too much notice of this. What I'm looking at is the "bottom line". What would it cost me from some other source to get it to my door? If I can drive across town and buy it locally, what is the ultimate cost when I add in my vehicle expense and my own time? I won't buy online if the bottom line isn't to my advantage.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Jul 26, 2010, 08:10 PM
Joined Mar 2007
1,147 Posts
I've found that some vendors base their shipping costs on the price of the order, or the type of item you're buying, rather then weight. For example I was just placing a parts order with ClubHeli last week and for some reason shipping was going to be over $9 even though all the parts I was buying were very small and light. After some experimentation I discovered that by simply removing one part and getting the price below $50 the shipping cost was cut in 1/2.

I think the problem is that here in the US shipping charges are based on both the size and weight of the package. It's very easy to design a website where you can calculate the total weight at checkout, but it's difficult to calculate the size of the box needed to hold a bunch of random parts of varying sizes. Some sites compensate for this by over estimating shipping even on very small/light packages and others do it by selecting a sort of middle ground and then making up for it in volume. (some people pay too much, some pay too little, but in the end the business breaks even)

Dan
Dan203 is offline Find More Posts by Dan203
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:53 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,572 Posts
When I look on Walkera's web page for this heli, it says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkera
1).Simulated three-blade structure takes advantage of high efficiency and steady flight.
What is a "Simulated three-blade structure"

TIA,

Dan
DanSavage is offline Find More Posts by DanSavage
Old Jul 27, 2010, 04:56 AM
Joined Mar 2007
1,147 Posts
I think it's just a bad translation. They use wrong or misspelled words all over their site and even on some of the packaging.

Dan
Dan203 is offline Find More Posts by Dan203
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:41 PM
RC Helis: My Healthy Obsession
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
Okay. As usual I can't leave well enough alone so I decided to install one of Gaui 3500kv 3s motors and an Inolabs 261 tail servo in my 4F200 to see what happens. Don't get me wrong, the heli is really quick stock, but I just wanted to see how it would compare. Flights results are fabulous. It moves like a T250 and is very strong in climbouts, rolls, flips and inverted. Not that the stock heli doesn't do all that already, but what the heck. LOL. Plus, it uses the standard 850mah 3S packs and I still get over 5mins of flight time. Nice.
dkfuji is offline Find More Posts by dkfuji
Old Jul 27, 2010, 01:30 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,384 Posts
So is this a subtle marketing hint that a new motor and servo is needed? lol
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Jul 27, 2010, 01:37 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
10,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfuji View Post
Okay. As usual I can't leave well enough alone so I decided to install one of Gaui 3500kv 3s motors and an Inolabs 261 tail servo in my 4F200 to see what happens. Don't get me wrong, the heli is really quick stock, but I just wanted to see how it would compare. Flights results are fabulous. It moves like a T250 and is very strong in climbouts, rolls, flips and inverted. Not that the stock heli doesn't do all that already, but what the heck. LOL. Plus, it uses the standard 850mah 3S packs and I still get over 5mins of flight time. Nice.
We want some video!! ... where is the video ???

please post a link ...

(btw, I got a horrible itch in my "buy" finger for this bird, but until now I was able to resist temptation ... even though I could get (have got??) I really excellent deal on it ...)
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Old Jul 27, 2010, 02:10 PM
"you'll play to live "
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Sep 2009
1,732 Posts
Buy one from Terence, tooks only 7 days to arrive.Just test fly on backyard, seems too powerful .Anyone has tried to adjust TX for more docile way?! also, stock motor gets way hot after one battery set.....
Acrash
Alwayscrash is offline Find More Posts by Alwayscrash
Old Jul 27, 2010, 02:28 PM
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
Yes the motor does run a little on the hot side (what Walkera doesn't?) but the offset is the sheer power and HS it generates. I believe the actual rating on the motor is 6000kv rather than the 3900kv it says on the sticker. That explains the high temps. However, after replacing the motor with the 3s, all the temps dropped dramatically. Hard to say which set-up I like better at this point. I also just got a couple of NRG 1300mah 35C packs today to try on this heli. I love the 5c charge rate and the 35C discharge should be loads of fun. I have also ordered some Gaui 200 woodies ($5.99 a set) to see if they will work on this heli. Right now, any blade strike and you're out $29 plus shipping for a set of CF replacements (which are not even available yet).

As far as the tail servo goes. I replaced it just to see if it made a significant difference in performance. Honestly, it flies just about the same as the stock. If we want better performance out of the tail, Walkera is going to have to speed up the gyro a bit in the Rx. Still, the tail (stock or mod'd) holds solid during full punch-outs so its still a good flyer IMO.

I have tried different throttle curves with the heli and this is what I have so far. I have flown it on a flat 100% in St1 and its very quick with 4320 rpm. A little much in my book. So now I have it toned down to 90% flat and it is running about 3900 rpm and is much more docile but still retains a lot of punch. I also turned down the extent a touch and added 45% Expo on the Ail, Ele and Rud to keep it in the park. Much smoother to fly that way for me and it will do smoother loops rather than a quick flip. Of course this is all just personal preference and luckily we have the 2801 mode capabilities to get to where we want.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 02:49 PM
"you'll play to live "
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Sep 2009
1,732 Posts
Darryl,
Great to hear you! I've tried to put some Trex250 config on 2801 but still not bigger change.Stock heli takes off about past mid-throtle and it's revo is scary if compared with Trex250. Also did you notice that rudder servo is bit noisy? Seems stock set-up is for 3D 'cause blades pitch is neutral with mid stick.
Acrash
Old Jul 27, 2010, 03:05 PM
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
The thing is my T250 is scary and running at 100% throttle all the time (even in Nor mode). So this heli is less intimating than that. I just want to make sure that I maintain enough HS to keep the tail solid since it appears that 3 blades generate a lot of rotational torque when I punch it. My tail servo is not that loud so I am not sure what you are hearing. It is buzzing or are you hearing gear noise? These are Walkera plastic geared servos after all. LOL.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 03:27 PM
"you'll play to live "
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Sep 2009
1,732 Posts
You're right! HS is way high to fit a 250 size,LOL!
It's gear noise, no buzz,may be change to plastic is better.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 03:39 PM
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
The cool thing is about this Walkera heli is its big enough to use other electronics on it. Like I said, I replaced the stock tail servo with the Inolabs and it is really good. I am assuming that even the Align 420's would work nicely too. Hmmmm...I just happen to have one of those in my bag of spares!!! Well back to the workbench I go. LOL
Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:52 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,359 Posts
subscribed
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29