HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2010, 05:08 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmbnj View Post
I got my replacement 4F200 last night (first one was DOA). This one arrived undamaged with just one swash ball loose, no biggie.

After applying locktight I went for the maiden. Tons of power in this heli and it was very stable but I have this VERY annoying tail wag. The gain is at 80 and if I lower it, the tail will hunt and still wag slightly.

Yes it's a slight wag, but it is drving me crazy

Anyone else have this issue or have any suggestions?
My 4F200 had a similar problem. In my case I just had to move the rudder servo forward along the boom a little. Then adjust the rudder extent POT so I had full rudder pitch travel. The reason it turns is because when you increase main rotor pitch the rudder pitch needs to have enough pitch and RPM to counter the effect. If its incorrect the heli will suddenly turn and hold like youve added a rudder correction. I also adjusted the servo position so it was upright and not angled off the boom like it came out of the box, as when its angle it appears to bend the servo push rod. So I thought it might bind if I left it that way.

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2010, 05:21 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Just a heads up regards swashplate ball links. Its been windy here so I havnt flown much, but after flying four packs I checked over the heli for things coming loose and found one of the ball links from blade to swash stripped. It looks like they have been thread locked from the factory but perhaps this one was flawed or overtightened. Looks like first parts order for me will be swashplate.

Mick
Old Aug 14, 2010, 05:45 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Hmmm, looks like no swashplates availlable yet. Is there a known swashplate alternative for the 4F200? or is this bird grounded for now?
Old Aug 14, 2010, 06:04 PM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
Hmmm, looks like no swashplates availlable yet. Is there a known swashplate alternative for the 4F200? or is this bird grounded for now?
Wow has most things, including swashes. Terence had everything I ordered, I suspect he's got swashes too:
http://www.chinesejade.com/walkera4F200.htm

Terence is closer to you anyway, right?

Rafa
Rafa's CB100 is online now Find More Posts by Rafa's CB100
Old Aug 15, 2010, 12:46 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Thanks Rafa, in my distress I overlooked Terrence
Old Aug 15, 2010, 02:23 AM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa's CB100 View Post
I hope to answer that question real soon, since my box of spares just arrived from Terence. It took 13 days, but they're here. Hope I didn't forget to order anything mission critical. You can guess what I'll be doing tonight after the kiddo goes to sleep!!!

Rafa
Hi Guys,

I got the heli put back together tonight, letting all the loc-tite dry now. As you probably remember, my heli did a little cartwheel on it's training gear, landing on the tail, breaking most things at the tail itself. Luckily, I did order the correct parts, and enough of them, to boot!

It was fairly straightforward to work on, but I don't have much outside perspective, as all my previous experience is confined to CB100s (and my little 16g Minix).

The one loose thing that I found, which I did not find in my initial screw check, was a loose ball at the tail pitch slider bell crank. This would be the ball that the back end of the tail servo rod connects to. It screws into the plastic bell crank itself, and was stripped--wouldn't tighten down. Maybe something to check, if you haven't already done so. Hopefully I'll get to fly it again tomorrow!!!

Rafa
Old Aug 15, 2010, 05:29 AM
Joined Jan 2009
482 Posts
Quote:

The one loose thing that I found, which I did not find in my initial screw check, was a loose ball at the tail pitch slider bell crank. This would be the ball that the back end of the tail servo rod connects to. It screws into the plastic bell crank itself, and was stripped--wouldn't tighten down. Maybe something to check, if you haven't already done so. Hopefully I'll get to fly it again tomorrow!!!

Rafa
Fingers crossed
Teckos is offline Find More Posts by Teckos
Old Aug 15, 2010, 01:02 PM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
Lovin' it!

Woo Hoo! Things went well today!

I flew 9 short (30 seconds or less) flights, with ~5 mph winds, I'd say, at a nearby little soccer field. My only 'mishap', other than some kinda hard landings, would be that on my very last flight, the tail landed first, bending the new CF tail a tiny bit and making a slight noise as the tail blades hit the grass for a split second. I was able to coax the tail back to straightness in a quick second. Luckily, this is s very well groomed field, and it didn't hurt the main gear or anything else that I can see.

I'll get to try again tomorrow morning before work when it's hopefully very calm outside!

Here's vids of the 2 best flights, complete with some background talk from my wife and kiddo, and a Blackhawk and some dragonflies (no pun intended) thrown in for good measure:

Still learning on the 4F200. (0 min 41 sec)

Walkera 4F200, with a newbie pilot, taking off, hovering a bit, landing. (0 min 32 sec)

Rafa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckos View Post
Fingers crossed
Last edited by Rafa's CB100; Aug 15, 2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:18 PM
Joined Dec 2007
153 Posts
I am off tomorrow so I will mess with the tail servo and linkages to see if I can get the wag to go away.
gmbnj is offline Find More Posts by gmbnj
Old Aug 16, 2010, 02:10 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,797 Posts
Rafa nice going. The only problem I see is that your success might cost ME $380 + shipping
NaterPin is offline Find More Posts by NaterPin
Old Aug 16, 2010, 03:07 PM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaterPin View Post
Rafa nice going. The only problem I see is that your success might cost ME $380 + shipping
You can use me as your rationalization if you need to--I don't mind.

Rafa
Old Aug 16, 2010, 07:42 PM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
Oooohhhhhhh, that's why it had +12* pitch out of the box!

Ah, ha! I think I figured out why the pitch was biased in the positive direction out of the box.

I got up early this morning to fly a few packs out at the field, and I'm happy to say that I'm getting more and more comfortable with each pack (my last 3 packs haven't cost me $$!!). I got enough confidence today to punch the throttle from a stable hover. Without the distraction of the camera, I noticed that climbout is pretty weak now. In fact, I noticed that it was taking a lot of throttle just to keep it at a hover. I was able to switch to ST-1, no change.

After running a bunch of scenarios in my head all day, the best guess I have is that a stock 4F200 is set to have 12* of positive pitch so that's it's non 3D performance is good, but it probably isn't setup to do 3D out of the box. Getting the -9 to 9 degrees is a first step, changing the servo arms to the ones dkfuji found to get to the -12 to 12* is the second step. Maybe this is what dkfuji was explaining a few weeks ago, but now I understand.

Rafa
Old Aug 16, 2010, 09:52 PM
"you'll play to live "
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Sep 2009
1,619 Posts
Quote:
Ah, ha! I think I figured out why the pitch was biased in the positive direction out of the box.

I got up early this morning to fly a few packs out at the field, and I'm happy to say that I'm getting more and more comfortable with each pack (my last 3 packs haven't cost me $$!!). I got enough confidence today to punch the throttle from a stable hover. Without the distraction of the camera, I noticed that climbout is pretty weak now. In fact, I noticed that it was taking a lot of throttle just to keep it at a hover. I was able to switch to ST-1, no change.

After running a bunch of scenarios in my head all day, the best guess I have is that a stock 4F200 is set to have 12* of positive pitch so that's it's non 3D performance is good, but it probably isn't setup to do 3D out of the box. Getting the -9 to 9 degrees is a first step, changing the servo arms to the ones dkfuji found to get to the -12 to 12* is the second step. Maybe this is what dkfuji was explaining a few weeks ago, but now I understand.

Rafa
-9+9 is standard for cp heli , normal or 3D .If running too much pitch will lower HS and made heli unstable and motor overheat.With apropriate HS heli can even hover at 5*.Try to make heli "light" at midstick and began to take off when go past 50% throtle and you've almost reach the goal.
I notice ELEV stick is ok on forward but a bit low when backward so increasing ELEV-Travel on TX to 130% will compensate this. Also i've moved tail servo at maximum close to RX to correct tail heavy ( pushrod need to be lenghtened a bit), now heli is perfectly CG-balanced .
AC
AC
Alwayscrash is offline Find More Posts by Alwayscrash
Old Aug 17, 2010, 08:33 PM
"you'll play to live "
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Sep 2009
1,619 Posts
I've just found a better place for esc's
Alwayscrash is offline Find More Posts by Alwayscrash
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:56 PM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwayscrash View Post
I've just found a better place for esc's
Nice. It also puts the weight more forward. I have moved my esc a bit forward, as you did, but now I see that it sits right next to that hot motor.

My quick approach to centering CG was a bit more brutal than yours. It's balanced. Maybe this is why my climbout is weak.

Rafa