1,216 Posts
Ferrite core choke.
clearprop88 is online now Find More Posts by clearprop88
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:08 AM
United States, MN, Coon Rapids
Joined Feb 2012
306 Posts
Thanks. Corrected. Should read better now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88 View Post
Ferrite core choke.
razorblade is offline Find More Posts by razorblade
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:13 AM
United Kingdom, England, Enfield
Joined Jan 2012
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorblade View Post

I hope this helps a bit.

-razorblade
Certainly does, thanks!

Before I buy yet another ESC, could you guys have a read of this please and see if it makes sense to you? It seems that I'm not the only one having problems getting a Hobbywing Pentium to arm.
http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php?topic=65846.0

I'm sure it's something to do with the throttle end points.
BenVK is offline Find More Posts by BenVK
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:10 AM
Joined Feb 2012
306 Posts
The issue with your hobby wing Pentium 40 amp ESC not army almost sounds like that ESC is not arming because it's waiting for low throttle from the transmitter. Does this ESC have a throttle calibration feature. If it does you might want to try that. Give that a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenVK View Post
Hi guys, I'm back with some more annoying questions!

I'm experimenting with using the RX2618 on a Trex 450 Pro clone and I'm struggling to find a 40A ESC that works with this RX.

I've tried a Hobbywing Pentium 40A but it just won't arm unless I remove the throttle connector from the RX, wait for the no signal beeps from the ESC, then plug the connector back in. It's very hit and miss though. Managed to get into programming mode as per Mr.Hawk's video of plugging a spare ESC into the 5V channel etc but once I switch off and power up again as normal, it refuses to arm the motor once more.

I'm guessing it's all down to the wrong BEC voltage and whether it's linear or switching or something above my head like that.

Also tried a JP Energ Pro 25A with 5V/2A BEC and that works fine.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:37 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
5,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenVK View Post
Certainly does, thanks!

Before I buy yet another ESC, could you guys have a read of this please and see if it makes sense to you? It seems that I'm not the only one having problems getting a Hobbywing Pentium to arm.
http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php?topic=65846.0

I'm sure it's something to do with the throttle end points.
Yes, it would make sense that the ESC won't initialize if it is stuck in "protection" mode. Meaning it's seeing your throttle position not at zero and not at the maximum. Basically it's always seeing the throttle in the up position and it's protecting you from catching a blade in the face on bind up. But what it doesn't know is your true throttle range, not until you calibrate it. Like Razorblade said, give that a shot and see if it helps. The guy in the link you posted seemed to be having an issue where he had to recalibrate each time he flew or the ESC did not function. At least the quick look i took, that is what it sounded like. So i don't know if it will be any help for you, considering the amount of work you will have to do to get it into programming mode to set the end points and things like that. I don't know how that ESC works and gets set. But it's worth the trouble to do it once if it fixes the problem. It should. Typically you only need to set the throttle limits with the ESC once. Unless your ESC has some kind of issue, like the guy in that link seemed to have.

Also look in the TX monitor and make sure your getting equal throttle movement on your TX. Make sure in the throttle curve screen that you can get a zero throttle output when the stick is down.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:58 AM
Joined Jan 2012
536 Posts
I already tried setting the throttle limits in the ESC but that didn't work.

Just noticed though that in the TX monitor, non of sticks are reaching the end points in the graph. The throttle for example is only reaching the 3/4 point either end. I've re-calibrated the sticks on this Devo 8 but it makes no difference, weird!
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:11 PM
Joined Jan 2012
536 Posts
I just realised that the range is 0 to 150%, not 100%.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:13 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
5,912 Posts
I finally got my 4f200 back together after, i don't know. A month or 2. It's tuned pretty nice i think. I think my power issues were related to friction from a new tail belt. I vaguely remember putting one in before all my issues with power spikes or whatever started. The esc seems fine. So i loosened the belt considerably and oiled all the bearings. I flew a 3 minute hover @ st-2 in my drive way with a Turnigy 1.6 Ah pack and i got about 3.8v on each cell by the end.

I honestly forget. how long are normal flights in stunt mode? i seem to remember 4-5minutes being the norm. I think i will get 4 minutes out of these packs and still be okay. I might end up grabbing some of those onyx packs that Razorblade said worked out so well for him. I forget which ones size wise he got. But i'm sure if i bring my packs to the LHS they will find them. But something tells me they will be pricey compared to the $8 Turnigy packs.

Oh and i have a microbeast on the way for my V450D01, so the 4f200 may receive a 2702V later.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:10 AM
Joined Sep 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
I finally got my 4f200 back together after, i don't know. A month or 2. It's tuned pretty nice i think. I think my power issues were related to friction from a new tail belt. I vaguely remember putting one in before all my issues with power spikes or whatever started. The esc seems fine. So i loosened the belt considerably and oiled all the bearings. I flew a 3 minute hover @ st-2 in my drive way with a Turnigy 1.6 Ah pack and i got about 3.8v on each cell by the end.

I honestly forget. how long are normal flights in stunt mode? i seem to remember 4-5minutes being the norm. I think i will get 4 minutes out of these packs and still be okay. I might end up grabbing some of those onyx packs that Razorblade said worked out so well for him. I forget which ones size wise he got. But i'm sure if i bring my packs to the LHS they will find them. But something tells me they will be pricey compared to the $8 Turnigy packs.

Oh and i have a microbeast on the way for my V450D01, so the 4f200 may receive a 2702V later.
Dont forget, that the 2702 is made for digital servos, you would fry the analog servos with this rx.
I also was thinking about to install a 2703 but the price für the rx an digital servos together is as much as the whole heli :-(
I am using the rx2624v-d. This works fine with my 4f200

My 4F is still flying pretty well, only one thing is strange. When flying indoor, in a sportshall for example everything is fine.
Sometimes when i fly outside suddenly the headspeed is going up. When i land my 4f i have to pull throttle hold to stop the motor. I had this with stock rx and esc and also with my upgrade esc and rx. Any idea?
addifromgermany is offline Find More Posts by addifromgermany
Last edited by addifromgermany; Dec 24, 2012 at 04:30 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:52 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
5,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by addifromgermany View Post
Dont forget, that the 2702 is made for digital servos, you would fry the analog servos with this rx.
I also was thinking about to install a 2703 but the price für the rx an digital servos together is as much as the whole heli :-(
I am using the rx2624v-d. This works fine with my 4f200

My 4F is still flying pretty well, only one thing is strange. When flying indoor, in a sportshall for example everything is fine.
Sometimes when i fly outside suddenly the headspeed is going up. When i land my 4f i have to pull throttle hold to stop the motor. I had this with stock rx and esc and also with my upgrade esc and rx. Any idea?
Yes, thank you for reminding me. I am aware of the 2702V's digital output. The LHS has some futaba S3154 servos in stock. Also the S3114 analog. But i might actually get some MKS DS470 Instead. Not sure yet. If i do all this i'll also end up going to 3S packs and a new motor too. We'll see how things go here with the friction reduced on 2S for now. Later i may give it a 2 bladed head for 3D. Hoping the 2 blade rotor is a little more durable too. We'll see.

About your problem. The only thing i can think of is your having a TX problem with the throttle if your not able to throttle down normally and stop the motor. Though i don't know why it would be any different indoors from outdoors. Unless your stunt mode switch is up or something like that. Hard to say.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:38 PM
Joined Sep 2012
342 Posts
Perhaps electrostatic charge causes this problem when i fly outside. I does not happen everyday, only sometimes.
Today before i was flying I installed a wire from the tail to negativ ground and i had no problem with my 4f ...
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:56 PM
Joined Feb 2012
306 Posts
Here are those Duratrax lipos I bought:
Duratrax Onyx 2S 7.4V 2000mah 25C Soft Case Lipo
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCABW&P=SM
Duratrax Onyx is 105 grams. The Gens Ace wieghts 96.75 grams. Stock lipo is 85.25 grams.
If and when you decide to purchase, may I suggest you get only one to try it out first. Your setup is different from mine, diff motor and diff ESC so you may expect to get different results from me. I get 6 mins flight time in stunt mode. Set your tx timer at 6 minutes and then increase from there. I doubt you will be able to get the Duratrax to fit under the canopy. You'd have to modify the battery tray to allow the lipo to be positioned into the nose a little bit further otherwise the lipo will rub against the elevator servo. They are priced at about $23 each but you get what you pay for.

Presently, I was not successful in finding a lipo that would both fit and out-perform the stock lipo - until I tried these duratrx lipos.

Try one first. Then if you like, buy more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:02 PM
Joined Feb 2012
306 Posts
I was just wondering if the outdoor climate is dry at this time of year in Germany?

Also indoors is typically climate controlled so there would be some moisture in the air. So static wouldn't necessarily have a chance to built up - it would be discharged into the surrounding air.

If you search a ways back in this thread, there are others that have experienced electrostatic shocks between the tail boom and main frame. They lived in dry climates such as Arizona, US.

Quote:
Perhaps electrostatic charge causes this problem when i fly outside. I does not happen everyday, only sometimes.
Today before i was flying I installed a wire from the tail to negativ ground and i had no problem with my 4f ...
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:19 PM
Joined Sep 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
I was just wondering if the outdoor climate is dry at this time of year in Germany?

Also indoors is typically climate controlled so there would be some moisture in the air. So static wouldn't necessarily have a chance to built up - it would be discharged into the surrounding air.

If you search a ways back in this thread, there are others that have experienced electrostatic shocks between the tail boom and main frame. They lived in dry climates such as Arizona, US.
It is very wet at the moment, we were lucky to have some hours without rain yesterday
The last flight with the 4f as the problem occurred it was a colder day, so i think it was dry air.
What is suspicious is, that these problems occourred very often with a 3s setup but less with 2s. Perhaps of the higher speeds of the motor?
Last edited by addifromgermany; Dec 24, 2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:09 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
5,912 Posts
Quote:
It is very wet at the moment, we were lucky to have some hours without rain yesterday
The last flight with the 4f as the problem occurred it was a colder day, so i think it was dry air.
What is suspicious is, that these problems occourred very often with a 3s setup but less with 2s. Perhaps of the higher speeds of the motor?
I don't know, but right now i'm blaming my stock motor for my issues, as it revved out on me again. Was flying fine. I even did a few flips and rolls. Till i was doing a roll and the power bogged out and the heli fell. What a pile of junk. Another waste of $40 in repairs. This time servos, gears, blade grips and swash. Thats easy another $90 just in repairs for this pile of junk. Thats probably more than my Gaui X5 would cost to fix in a crash! It's absolutely absurd! The motor was running at 100% and it would become erratic at times, loosing rpm @ 100%. So i ran it at 90%. It was much more stable and, like i said i even did some flips and rolls. Till the inevitable happened. (inevitable if you own a Walkera that is)

So now if i ever do fix this pile of junk, i have to put in 3 new servos, a new motor, ESC and RX too. Just because it's likely the RX causing the problems. Since Walkera is so famous for their excellent, stable and absolutely reliable RX/gyro units and electronics in general!. Hell i might as well buy a new heli, right?
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Dec 25, 2012 at 04:41 PM.