HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:14 PM
Joined Sep 2012
342 Posts
Hi,

im using "Emax ES08MD Digital Metall Micro Servo 12g 0,08s 2,4kg", they run in the right direction but are not plug and play, i had to modify the mainframe and the servo holder with my dremel. I had several hard crashs with this servos, even upside down crashs while learning to hover or fly inverted.

The reason why the master cp flys so stable even at wind is the so called 6 Axis RX on the master. I am using also a 6 Axis RX on my V450 from walkera, its much better than the stock rx.

Nice collection of Helis :-)

Here are mine
addifromgermany is offline Find More Posts by addifromgermany
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:35 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
5,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by addifromgermany View Post
Hi,

im using "Emax ES08MD Digital Metall Micro Servo 12g 0,08s 2,4kg", they run in the right direction but are not plug and play, i had to modify the mainframe and the servo holder with my dremel. I had several hard crashs with this servos, even upside down crashs while learning to hover or fly inverted.

The reason why the master cp flys so stable even at wind is the so called 6 Axis RX on the master. I am using also a 6 Axis RX on my V450 from walkera, its much better than the stock rx.

Nice collection of Helis :-)

Here are mine
Yeah, those emax servos are alright. I'm glad it's working out for you. It's really important to enjoy what your doing in this hobby. I can't do that when i know as much as i do about Walkera. I just can't keep giving them money to disappoint me.

Don't take this personally.

I have no interest in the 6 axis by Walkera. Or any product by them for that matter. They have proven them self time and time again to be a below sub standard brand with a high price, that keeps getting higher and no support. If i had to fly another Walkera, it would get a different RX and gryo NOT made by Walkera.

I'm sorry, i don't mean to direct any of this toward you. I'm so sick of Walkera's antics at this point I would rather build someone a 250 DFC or any heli of their choosing FOR FREE, then advocate them buying a Walkera just because it comes RTF and they don't know how to build yet. At least that way i know they are getting a heli that they won't regret because they HAVE to upgrade it and modify it just so it's normal for 3D. Probably will cost them less in the long run to have just gotten a heli build by someone in the first place.

If your new to the hobby, Walkera can be a great place to start. It's where i started after all. But when you really want to move into quality 3D, these things just don't cut the mustard. The v120 is cool for a micro but just for driveway/indoor stuff. If you have the room and a field to fly at. Build any other brand for your 250+ size needs. The 6 axis gyro has had too many reports of issues when moving at consistent fast forward speeds for long distances and while banking or doing other moves like funnels. The over all 6 axis system wants the heli level at all times, which is great for learning. It's probably good for 3D too but not their best gyro since there are so many varying reports on the gyro's consistency of flight and the dreaded "6 Axis effect". Most of it is probably based on individual flying style and weather or not the user has the heli tilted on axis more often for longer periods then other users, like in FFF.

Just so i'm not barking in the dark, here is a recent flight comparison i made between the 2702V, arguably Walkera's best gyro programming to date and the BeastX on my Gaui X5. At the very least, pay attention to the tick tocks and pirouettes in both videos. Keeping in mind both heli are piloted by the same, still learning, pilot. Which would be myself. I think the 450 crash was actually a low volt brown out. But still the stability of the beastX is obvious, to me anyway.

V450D01 - Sudden gyro dive or voltage drain (3 min 43 sec)

Gaui X5 - 3D Flight #14 - Tick Tocks and Piros - 11-10-12 (7 min 4 sec)
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:05 AM
Moving Parts
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,283 Posts
Bravo! You pretty much echoed what I would have said about Wulkere. Also, hubbykong might be a step below them.

I ordered a Blade mQX quad copter yesterday. I chose Blade because the competition doesn't offer a product with this quality. Also, I'm just getting started so don't need big or complicated - yet.
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:12 AM
Joined Sep 2012
342 Posts
Youre right, walkera is often much to expensive with the helis they sell.
Luckily i did not even buy one walkera at the regular prive, in the town i live, the main distributor for Germany has its shop.
As an Example i bought my v450d01 rtf with the 2801pro tx for 199Euros, thats roundabout 250Dollars. I sold the rx and tx for 140Euros and bought an installed the rx2703 for 100 euros, so i can fly this bird with my devo TX.
So im flying a nice 450er heli for around 200Dollars, for this price its a very nice heli :-)
Also for my 4f200 i payd just the half price and upgradet this bird with a better esc and rx an futaba servos., now its really nice to fly :-)
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:33 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,745 Posts
Yup, Walkera is a [unneccesary] stepping stone on your path to heli enlightenment and nerd-vana.

The hook is that they are shiny and blingy to the noob, and make some cool looking designs, but at the end of the day, they are just not up to scratch technically, pricewise, reliabilitywise, flight cability wise, and frankly in every tangible way that actually matters.

(and this also, is coming from a multi-Walkera current owner.)

The one thing they WILL do is enroll you into the 'school of hard knocks'.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:17 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
5,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Yup, Walkera is a [unneccesary] stepping stone on your path to heli enlightenment and nerd-vana.

The hook is that they are shiny and blingy to the noob, and make some cool looking designs, but at the end of the day, they are just not up to scratch technically, pricewise, reliabilitywise, flight cability wise, and frankly in every tangible way that actually matters.

(and this also, is coming from a multi-Walkera current owner.)

The one thing they WILL do is enroll you into the 'school of hard knocks'.
Yes, this is a good way to put it i think. The "School of hard knocks" way. Walkera offers a crash course in fixing and setting up helicopters. If you can't afford a $500+ helicopter, they offer a micro size that will get you flying and learning mechanics very quickly. But unfortunately the "New" v120d02S is running $330+ for a RTF package from wow hobbies. It's just not cheap enough. Not when the devo 10 shorts out on you like Iflyheli's did with his v450's Devo 10. He got it replaced but still. It left him without a heli to fly. After hearing that, I am SO happy with my Spektrum DX8 so far. It is VERY expensive. Could have bought a new heli. But having individual DR/EXPO switches for all 3 axis and having 3 positions on each switch, including gyro/flaps switches and the aux2/governor switch. So basically all switches except the gear and actual throttle cut switch are 3 position. But all the switches are assignable, to some degree. So i flipped the throttle hold switch and flight mode switches to where i am used to them being on my Walkera 2801-pro. Plus it does have built in telemetry and all the features like a back lit screen that the DX6 and DX7 don't have. I'm glad i splurged on the DX8 just for those little things the other 2 do not have.

Unfortunately, no matter my concerns with the 6 axis system and the over all cost of the V120. It is still the best heli in it's size class. However i feel the Nano CPX just took over the 100 size class. So now my advice would be to buy a DX6,DX7, or DX8 and a nano. Then later you can get the bigger Spekturm RX for the bigger helicopters and have a seamless transition without "What if"s

Simulators are your best friend for learning and serious 3D practice. When your really feeling comfortable it's probably best to pick a heli that will be best for you. In my case it was the Gaui X5, but before that i wasted a lot of money on other helicopters. None of that experience is "bad". It all thought me something, that i can hopefully pass on and save someone some grief. In my world there is no such thing as failure. Only progress.

I don't feel the 4f200 was ever intended as a 3D machine. But some of us have adapted it quite well for basic 3D. I think this is part of my problem with the heli.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:25 PM
Moving Parts
Joined May 2011
1,283 Posts
I admit, I spent way too much upgrading my 4f200 to five blades. Walkera (distributors) charge way too much for the blade grips which are probably marked up 200 or more per cent. Be that as it may, I am very pleased with the outcome so far.

"If your new to the hobby, Walkera can be a great place to start. It's where i started after all. But when you really want to move into quality 3D, these things just don't cut the mustard."

I couldn't have said it better myself. Walkera fills a need for folks starting and advancing. I still enjoy flying my Walkera helicopters. Parts aren't too difficult to find so I just keep it up. The smaller sized helis are easy to fly when I don't have a chance to go somewhere and just want to step out in the back yard.

I considered buying another V200D01 but the cheapest I could find was $200 at WOWhobbies. I bought mine over a year ago as a CB180Z then modified it to a FBL V200D01 ($100 conversion) so I probably have over $200 in this one (not counting all the spare parts and crash rebuilds). I guess no matter how you slice it, this is a somewhat expensive hobby so a person has to constantly be on the look out for the biggest bang for the buck. My brother-in-law bought an air plane which he flys much less than I do my RC model helicopters. If you look it it from that perspective, my helicopter hobby is real CHEAP!

My Trex 450 PRO is the best experience I have ever had in the hobby building, flying, and maintaining. I'm sure a similar experience would be had with the X5 as it is a bit bigger. My HK(mostly Align)600-GT is truly awesome to fly but don't get many opportunities because of the massive size.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:19 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
5,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperJack View Post
I admit, I spent way too much upgrading my 4f200 to five blades. Walkera (distributors) charge way too much for the blade grips which are probably marked up 200 or more per cent. Be that as it may, I am very pleased with the outcome so far.

"If your new to the hobby, Walkera can be a great place to start. It's where i started after all. But when you really want to move into quality 3D, these things just don't cut the mustard."

I couldn't have said it better myself. Walkera fills a need for folks starting and advancing. I still enjoy flying my Walkera helicopters. Parts aren't too difficult to find so I just keep it up. The smaller sized helis are easy to fly when I don't have a chance to go somewhere and just want to step out in the back yard.

I considered buying another V200D01 but the cheapest I could find was $200 at WOWhobbies. I bought mine over a year ago as a CB180Z then modified it to a FBL V200D01 ($100 conversion) so I probably have over $200 in this one (not counting all the spare parts and crash rebuilds). I guess no matter how you slice it, this is a somewhat expensive hobby so a person has to constantly be on the look out for the biggest bang for the buck. My brother-in-law bought an air plane which he flys much less than I do my RC model helicopters. If you look it it from that perspective, my helicopter hobby is real CHEAP!

My Trex 450 PRO is the best experience I have ever had in the hobby building, flying, and maintaining. I'm sure a similar experience would be had with the X5 as it is a bit bigger. My HK(mostly Align)600-GT is truly awesome to fly but don't get many opportunities because of the massive size.
for $500 you can build one of these. IT ABSOLUTELY FLIES! thats all i can promise.

V120D05CS08 - 3D @ Publix (2 min 46 sec)
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:34 AM
United States, MN, Coon Rapids
Joined Feb 2012
306 Posts
addifromgermany,

Can you describe in more detail about the modifications you had to make to your 4F200 air frame to get your ES08MD servos to fit?

I have the same servos in my 4F200 and I recorded my notes at the link below. I want to compare notes with you to see if you came up with a different way of doing it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1722693

Quote:
Hi,

razorblade is offline Find More Posts by razorblade
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:15 AM
Joined Feb 2012
306 Posts
Nice you got the DX8. Those three position switches will come in handy. I've been seeing a lot of 700 class electric helis in YT videos where guys have setups that allow running in IU with two different head speeds.

Here is such a video, a TDR swinging 710mm mains. At 4:12 in the video you can hear the flip of a switch along with an increased HS. I love how this guy flies. It seems so artistic to me. After watching this, "old school 3D" might be my new style.

TDR - old school 3D (8 min 3 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
After hearing that, I am SO happy with my Spektrum DX8 so far. It is VERY expensive. Could have bought a new heli. But having individual DR/EXPO switches for all 3 axis and having 3 positions on each switch, including gyro/flaps switches and the aux2/governor switch. So basically all switches except the gear and actual throttle cut switch are 3 position. But all the switches are assignable, to some degree. So i flipped the throttle hold switch and flight mode switches to where i am used to them being on my Walkera 2801-pro. Plus it does have built in telemetry and all the features like a back lit screen that the DX6 and DX7 don't have. I'm glad i splurged on the DX8 just for those little things the other 2 do not have.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:47 AM
Joined Sep 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
addifromgermany,

Can you describe in more detail about the modifications you had to make to your 4F200 air frame to get your ES08MD servos to fit?

I have the same servos in my 4F200 and I recorded my notes at the link below. I want to compare notes with you to see if you came up with a different way of doing it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1722693
This post is related to my previous post, where i discribe how to make my master CP nearly indestructable. My 4f200 is equipped with Futaba 3114 Servos and never hab a crash with this Servos luckily.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:01 AM
Moving Parts
Joined May 2011
1,283 Posts
WOWhobbies Black Friday Sale

Ok guys, here is your big opportunity to get a nice plastic gear servo V450D01 or V500D01 reasonably priced. V450D01 list = $377 sale = $170. V500D01 no Rx list = $500 sale = $300. Don't beat yourself up trying to be the first on line to snap one of these bargains up black Friday!
--------------------------------------------------

11/23/12 - The V450D01's went about thirty minutes after the start of the sale. I noticed the mini CP's have gone. A couple of quads went shortly after beginning of sale. Now we see what some customers are most interested in. I wouldn't mind having another 450 even if it had plastic gears for $170. I wouldn't mind having a V500 for maybe $200 but not at $300. Maybe I should make them an offer of $170.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ChopperJack; Nov 23, 2012 at 09:00 AM. Reason: update
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:24 AM
Joined Sep 2012
342 Posts
Today i mounted white tail-blades...what a beauty

Does anybody know an alternativ canopy that fits? I woul prefer a green or blue canopy instead of the dark red-black stock canopy
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:10 AM
Joined Feb 2012
306 Posts
With the 4F200 there aren't many canopy options. I have confirmed the V200D03 canopy fits the 4F200 but that has a red color scheme as well. You could always paint your canopy.

Below is a green canopy from Banana Hobby that will fit the 4F200. Its on sale for $4.25 but that price is only for today. But beware Banana Hobby has bad customer service ratings.

Canopy for BlitzRCWorks Matrix 250-R (HP2231-06R) - $4.25

Quote:
Does anybody know an alternativ canopy that fits? I woul prefer a green or blue canopy instead of the dark red-black stock canopy
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:24 AM
Joined Sep 2012
342 Posts
Thank you for this link, but 30$ shipping to Germany is a lot