SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:06 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,263 Posts
I just ordered some new blade grips for mine, since i crashed and stripped a ball link out of one. I'm kind of sad not having it in service. My X5 is now my favorite heli, but only because of the size and sheer power it has. But my 4f200 is still my favorite to fly around some times. It will be nice to get it back in service. It really is a decent little bird, if not high maintenance and hard to work on. But also pretty a pretty good heli for what you get out of it. If you do those upgrades, of course

I'm glad your enjoying it and didn't have to pay full price to get upgraded. Where did you get the 2624v?
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:23 PM
Joined Sep 2012
342 Posts
Hi
I ordered the rx at a local dealer here in Hannover: It fits nearly plug and play, just the tailservo has to be reversed. just mount it 180 degres switched (Hope you understand what i mean, my english is shurely not the best ;-))

http://www.trade4me.de/Walkera/AW-20...00_170640.html

together with the Turnigy ESC it was the best upgrade for my 4f200. No tailwags no other trouble while flying :-) Smooth and stable :-)
addifromgermany is offline Find More Posts by addifromgermany
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:21 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by addifromgermany View Post
Hi
I ordered the rx at a local dealer here in Hannover: It fits nearly plug and play, just the tailservo has to be reversed. just mount it 180 degres switched (Hope you understand what i mean, my english is shurely not the best ;-))

http://www.trade4me.de/Walkera/AW-20...00_170640.html

together with the Turnigy ESC it was the best upgrade for my 4f200. No tailwags no other trouble while flying :-) Smooth and stable :-)
Yes, i understand. You put it on the opposite side of the tail. I only asked because most people are sold out of the 2624V RX and have been for some time. Of course, i didn't check Hannover!

Just FYI, the V200D03 tail servo works too, and so does the 4f200LM servo. But you might have to flip the servo around again.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:49 PM
Joined Sep 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Just FYI, the V200D03 tail servo works too, and so does the 4f200LM servo. But you might have to flip the servo around again.
Thank you, good to know :-)
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:51 PM
Moving Parts
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,428 Posts
I took my 4f200SD5 to work today hoping to be able to fly it after work and before dark - probably a 15 or 20 minute window. The parking lot wasn't vacated enough so I went next door to a wide open field. I put a piece of carpet in the middle of the dirt road as a heli pad. I finally lifted the heli off but only hovered a bit maybe a minute or two. The battery was down to 4.1 volts per cell to give you an idea. Quite frankly, I just wanted to get it off the ground and land without crashing. I've got so much invested in it, I don't want to take any chances. I wasn't feeling real frisky after work so just hovering was good enough.
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:11 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperJack View Post
I took my 4f200SD5 to work today hoping to be able to fly it after work and before dark - probably a 15 or 20 minute window. The parking lot wasn't vacated enough so I went next door to a wide open field. I put a piece of carpet in the middle of the dirt road as a heli pad. I finally lifted the heli off but only hovered a bit maybe a minute or two. The battery was down to 4.1 volts per cell to give you an idea. Quite frankly, I just wanted to get it off the ground and land without crashing. I've got so much invested in it, I don't want to take any chances. I wasn't feeling real frisky after work so just hovering was good enough.
Some would argue i am crazy trying to flip a 5 blade rotor at all, let alone my first few times flying it. But i did. I wouldn't follow my example all the time though. It's probably better to do what i say, not what i do. Because i often don't practice what i preach. But I also am well aware of my limitations, so if I'm doing something. Most of the time it's been pretty well calculated, otherwise you'll hear me say in the view that i have no idea what i'm doing and i'll probably crash

So, i didn't care too much about crashing the 4f200 frame and rotor. Since i had parts and everything. I'm adventurous. I drive my car fast because i get an adrenaline rush. I'm probably addicted to my own self produced chemical. So, yeah. I get a small dose of this when i fly or try crazy things. I noticed some people comment on how they could never have flipped the X5 so early. I think i did it on my 2nd flight. So at least i gave it one flight before putting it to the test .

I'm just happy you took to the air and had a minute or two. Now check that no screws came loose, all the linkages are still tight and the tail box is clean with no black stuff, check inside the frame where the belt gear is too for black stuff. As long as you don't have any of those issues or address them now, you should be good to go for your next flight! No need to be brave/stupid. Take it easy. That rotor head and heli almost cost you as much as my X5 did, so i can see why your taking your time!
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:46 AM
Moving Parts
Joined May 2011
1,428 Posts
Quote:
So, i didn't care too much about crashing the 4f200 frame and rotor. Since i had parts and everything. I'm adventurous. I drive my car fast because i get an adrenaline rush. I'm probably addicted to my own self produced chemical. So, yeah. I get a small dose of this when i fly or try crazy things. I noticed some people comment on how they could never have flipped the X5 so early. I think i did it on my 2nd flight. So at least i gave it one flight before putting it to the test .

I'm just happy you took to the air and had a minute or two. Now check that no screws came loose, all the linkages are still tight and the tail box is clean with no black stuff, check inside the frame where the belt gear is too for black stuff. As long as you don't have any of those issues or address them now, you should be good to go for your next flight! No need to be brave/stupid. Take it easy. That rotor head and heli almost cost you as much as my X5 did, so i can see why your taking your time!
Well, I suppose maybe if I had known what the total was going to be I may have chosen a different project. I just needed something to do and I wanted to put five blades on something - saw your project and I was on my way. Those blade grips really did me in. I think Walkera and distributors are charging a quantity five price EACH! Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. Now I just need to keep it throttled back and not crash. I had intentions of flying some circuits but quickly realized I wasn't at my best and if I got too ambitious I may not make it back to the heli pad. Also, it's not like I had tons of experience with it. The object was to get experience with five blades which I have just begun.

I did have an adrenaline moment with my Trex 450 which resulted in a crash the other day. I lifted off to about ten feet. Seems I always forget to push the timer button until after I lift off. I took my eyes off the heli for maybe 300 ms to push the button. There was a slight breeze. When I looked back at the heli, it was headed in my direction. Almost total panic! I managed to stay out of it's way as it whizzed by me. I had to turn 180 to keep it in view but by then I was totally disoriented and it was hopeless so best I could do was just to shut it down and try to minimize damage. Good thing the ground was wet and soggy. I should get my parts order today. Now I have a project - main gear, blades, port side servo gears. I plan on replacing the main shaft just in case and I've got two on the way so why not. I'll also be checking all the bearings and screws like you mention above. I'm going to take this opportunity to try to line the servo gears up so the servo arm is at mechanical 90. For some reason, the starboard side servo seems to line up okay but the port side always seems to be off a bit.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:05 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,263 Posts
I am completely DONE with my 4f200. I spend hours turning and rebuilding it only for it to go low volt on me again and spaz out in the wind and crash HARD! I probably should have waited till it wasn't so windy though. But if it can't handle this i can't own it for that reason. I'll probably post it up here with all whatever i have left and take some offers. The heli it's self will still fly with 2 new servos, 2 new Trex 250 blades and maybe a tweeking/replacement of the tail boom. I have not inspected it any farther but a blade grip linkage tore out. I have 3 extra spare grips that fit the Trex 250 blades, then i have a 2nd whole rotor head with the stock grips for the stock blades and a set of stock blades. A hand full of new spare parts too. I just can't be bothered with this anymore. I have a feeling my cheap $9 Hobbywing skywalker ESC might have gone bad because of the quick drops in the battery causing my battery alarm to sound. Who knows, maybe by now all of my batteries are just bad. I'll just stick with my 450s and X5 for now.

4f200 - Last flight - Power issues again (0 min 0 sec)
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:28 PM
Moving Parts
Joined May 2011
1,428 Posts
Quote:
I am completely DONE with my 4f200. I spend hours turning and rebuilding it only for it to go low volt on me again and spaz out in the wind and crash HARD! I probably should have waited till it wasn't so windy though. But if it can't handle this i can't own it for that reason. I'll probably post it up here with all whatever i have left and take some offers. The heli it's self will still fly with 2 new servos, 2 new Trex 250 blades and maybe a tweeking/replacement of the tail boom. I have not inspected it any farther but a blade grip linkage tore out. I have 3 extra spare grips that fit the Trex 250 blades, then i have a 2nd whole rotor head with the stock grips for the stock blades and a set of stock blades. A hand full of new spare parts too. I just can't be bothered with this anymore. I have a feeling my cheap $9 Hobbywing skywalker ESC might have gone bad because of the quick drops in the battery causing my battery alarm to sound. Who knows, maybe by now all of my batteries are just bad. I'll just stick with my 450s and X5 for now.
OOH, not good! Sorry you are having troubles with the 4f200. Well, not any more. Maybe it just needs a proper burial in the back yard. The 450/X5 route will definitely be more fun after this.

Just so you won't loose all confidence in the 4f200, mine (4f200SD5) is flying great. I am not capable of 3D but what little flying I do, it is solid as a rock. The five blades are too cool. I think I finally have throttle and pitch curves tuned to my "skill" level.

Many happy returns! Seriously, you want your heli to return!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ChopperJack; Nov 18, 2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:38 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,621 Posts
[QUOTE=IntegrityHndywrk;23294524]I am completely DONE with my 4f200. I spend hours turning and rebuilding it only for it to go low volt on me again and spaz out in the wind and crash HARD! I probably should have waited till it wasn't so windy though. But if it can't handle this i can't own it for that reason. I'll probably post it up here with all whatever i have left and take some offers. The heli it's self will still fly with 2 new servos, 2 new Trex 250 blades and maybe a tweeking/replacement of the tail boom. I have not inspected it any farther but a blade grip linkage tore out. I have 3 extra spare grips that fit the Trex 250 blades, then i have a 2nd whole rotor head with the stock grips for the stock blades and a set of stock blades. A hand full of new spare parts too. I just can't be bothered with this anymore. I have a feeling my cheap $9 Hobbywing skywalker ESC might have gone bad because of the quick drops in the battery causing my battery alarm to sound. Who knows, maybe by now all of my batteries are just bad. I'll just stick with my 450s and X5 for now.

Sorry to see that crash.
With the constant wind you have there you're probably better off flying the bigger birds.
clearprop88 is online now Find More Posts by clearprop88
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:41 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,337 Posts
Cold lipo, quick transition to hard pitch moves, with immediate low voltage alarm, and failure to keep motor head speed up -- I'm betting it was nothing more than just a plain old aged battery, that has developed high resistance and could not meet the load requirements.

Shame to see it go down. These are finicky little birds. Don't ask me how I know!

tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:02 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Cold lipo, quick transition to hard pitch moves, with immediate low voltage alarm, and failure to keep motor head speed up -- I'm betting it was nothing more than just a plain old aged battery, that has developed high resistance and could not meet the load requirements.

Shame to see it go down. These are finicky little birds. Don't ask me how I know!

Well, it's 70 degrees here today in the wind. So it's not cold related, i don't think. But it could be from the packs sitting around for a month or 2 without being cycled. But this time i used a "stock" pack. The last time i used a brand new 1600 mah Turnigy pack and it did the same thing, but not as quickly. I think the ESC is going bad or something. I used to get a good 3-5 minutes before the alarm would even sound at all. This time it pitched up i tried to hold it, it blew back and lost power, did a flip and dived into the ground. I almost had no choice or the heli might have hit me. Like the others said. I'm probably better off with the bigger heli because of the ridiculous wind here. I was hoping it would DIE this time of year. But it's gotten much worse. Plus it's still blowing in storms and storm season is supposed to be over a month ago! I hope tomorrow is better because it was hard to even fly the X5 today.

Gaui X5 - Parked autorotation from wind (0 min 0 sec)
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:40 AM
Joined Sep 2012
342 Posts
Hi IntegrityHndywrk,
if you like to fly a small heli even with heavy wind, try the master cp from Walkera. I fly the 4f and the master, the master accepts much more wind than the 4f and is nearly undestroyable after switching the stock servos to metal gear servos.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:43 AM
Moving Parts
Joined May 2011
1,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by integrityhndywrk View Post
well, it's 70 degrees here today in the wind. So it's not cold related, i don't think. But it could be from the packs sitting around for a month or 2 without being cycled. But this time i used a "stock" pack. The last time i used a brand new 1600 mah turnigy pack and it did the same thing, but not as quickly. I think the esc is going bad or something. I used to get a good 3-5 minutes before the alarm would even sound at all. This time it pitched up i tried to hold it, it blew back and lost power, did a flip and dived into the ground. I almost had no choice or the heli might have hit me. Like the others said. I'm probably better off with the bigger heli because of the ridiculous wind here. I was hoping it would die this time of year. But it's gotten much worse. Plus it's still blowing in storms and storm season is supposed to be over a month ago! I hope tomorrow is better because it was hard to even fly the x5 today.
wow!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:18 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by addifromgermany View Post
Hi IntegrityHndywrk,
if you like to fly a small heli even with heavy wind, try the master cp from Walkera. I fly the 4f and the master, the master accepts much more wind than the 4f and is nearly undestroyable after switching the stock servos to metal gear servos.
Yeah, it's cheap too. It's also very heavy so it probably would handle well in the wind. What servos did you use? Please don't tell me 09-9 servos?

What the 4f200 looked like before this incident:

The reason i'm not worried about it:

Gaui X5 - Flight 17 - 11-17-12 (8 min 15 sec)