United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperJack View Post
Yes, the HK600 is a clone version of the very old Align Trex 600 CF.

http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/ga...ion_Manual.pdf

I call mine a HK(mostly Align)600-GT. There isn't much left except the frame and tail boom that isn't Align. I learned my lesson on this one. My next heli was a Trex 450 Pro 3GX Super Combo. I didn't save any money on the kit but it was much more fun to build.

I wish you good luck with the AMA thing. I bet you will meet some interesting folks if you attend their picnic.
I went. It was exactly what i expected, for the most part. There was ONE guy there. Sorry TWO guys there with helicopters. Sorry, i almost counted out the guy with the 600 size scale Bell 222. He was hidden most of the time. So him, and another guy that was flying a SAB Goblin 700, Align 700 and a 550 turned 600 They absolutely would not let me fly without AMA. The one guy flew the Bell 222, after a while when there wasn't 5 planks in the air flying patterns. He flew it around over the runway. There was one guy out there flying 3d on his plank while 5 other guys were flying patterns. Which he really was not supposed to be doing. But no one said anything, if they cared. The guy with the Goblin took it up once, off to the right side of the run way. He was using Turnigy packs too. But i can't talk because thats what i have on my X5 and 450. Anyway, after he flew i really wanted to fly. He was pretty good. But they wouldn't let me fly. I made a few sarcastic remarks in my typical sarcastic way. I am Italian after all. I eventually left to go fly where a bunch of people were at for a sea food festival. Remarking about how much safer it would be if i could fly there, very sarcastically, of course.

There was a few guys there about my age. Maybe a little younger. They were all from out of town and here for the fly in. The one guy was at the LHS when i bought my DX8. He recently bought a BEAST foam 3d plane from there. He was using his old DX7 and it kept locking out on him and crashing. This was his first flights too. Very sad i looked it over and couldn't figure anything wrong. But i don't do planks. I let him use my DX8 and it STILL locked out and crashed. He was beside himself. I told him my v450 story and he didn't feel so bad, i think. He's going to the LHS today to get the thing replaced. I don't know how well that will work out. I really felt for him. But it's a $140 plane. So i don't know, maybe they will repair it for him or something. After all it's not a WK.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:38 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,791 Posts
Quote:
I got it off the ground this evening. The first thing I noticed was how stable it is over the three blades. It was almost dark so didn't get a chance to do much tuning but so far it flys real nice.

I had this real strange noise right at first. At about half throttle, it would make this strange noise then the noise would go away soon thereafter as rpm increased. After flying for about four minutes the noise went away and hasn't returned. I'm just chalking it up to break in for now.
Take a look over everything. Particularly the rear gear drive. Make sure the caps on the gear where the belt is are all pressed against the gear. Some times they slide down, which means you have to replace it. If those black gear caps move away, the belt rides on the corner of the gear and makes funny noises. It also shreds the belt. Also examine your motor, make sure the retaining "E-clip" is still on the top bearing under the pinion. One last thing. Oil all your bearings. I recommend Scorpion bearing oil. It's worked great on all my Walkera bearings. Bearings that should be oiled early on and after every 5-10 flight include the following.

Motor: every 3-5 flights. 1 drop on each of the two bearings on the motor shaft.

Main drive assembly: Every 8-10 flights. 1 drop on each of the two main shaft bearings. One to two drops under the swash in the circular groove where the swash bearing is.

Rear drive assembly: Every 5-8 flights. 1 Drop in the bearing on top between the aile/pitch servos. 1 Drop in the bottom bearing under that same location on the opposite side the the rear belt drive gear shaft.

Tail: Every 5-10 flights or sooner, as needed. 1 drop on each of the two bearings on either side of the tail box. Also one drop on each of the two bearings in the steering slider (one on each side)

Blade Grips: You should oil your sealed bearings on your blade grips every 10 flights or so. If you have thrust bearings you should apply grease to them every 10 flights or so also. You might not need to be meticulous with this. But you should check them often and make sure they move smooth. Especially after a crash where the bearings could be damaged.

Oiling like this this will eliminate any friction and lots of wear, run quieter and Increase your flight times too, as well as reduce temperatures in your ESC and motor. If you see excessive black gunking on the bearings you may have a bad bearing or you are applying oil to frequently and the dirt is causing grime build up. I like to run the bearings to let the oil seep in. Then i wipe the outside surface (when possible) with a swab or paper towel so the exterior is not oily and able to collect grime. Though a black grease like substance could be the bearing letting out, which means it's time to replace it. It can be hard to tell the two sometimes. But usually there will be visible wear on the seals around the bearing if it's going bad.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:09 PM
Moving Parts
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,358 Posts
How to Oil your Scorpion Motor Bearings by Innov8tive Designs (12 min 20 sec)

Here is a video I found about Scorpion oil and bearing care. I went to Innov8tiveDesigns and ordered a oil kit and a set of bearings. I try to do good bearing maintenance every chance I get.

When I was in the Navy a hundred years ago, I did maintenence on 100 watt UHF RF power amplifiers which had a fair sized squirrel cage fan that ran at about 10K RPM. I had to check the RPM with a strobe light about once a month. Those things ran 24/7 and it is amazing how long the bearings lasted if they were maintained.
ChopperJack is online now Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2012, 05:57 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,791 Posts
The 4f200 has been sounding my battery alarm all the time in flight lately. Loosing power too. Even with the new Turnigy packs i recently got. This was basically me being fed up with it not working right. It's my FLY OR ELSE moment. I didn't want to have to replace the frame AGAIN. The heli actually performed well when it was, but the power dropped out too soon and the battery alarm is set for 3.6V so it spiked very low on those punches and just died sputtered the motor. I think the servos were jacked up or something. Oh well. I'll get it sorted and give it another go. Not quite Campos quality yet eh?

4f200 - Power supply issues - CRASH (1 min 36 sec)

Worst part is this thing will cost almost as much as my 450 to repair. Maybe more... maybe next time it will work better... (famous Walkera catch phrase)
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:40 PM
Moving Parts
Joined May 2011
1,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
The 4f200 has been sounding my battery alarm all the time in flight lately. Loosing power too. Even with the new Turnigy packs i recently got. This was basically me being fed up with it not working right. It's my FLY OR ELSE moment. I didn't want to have to replace the frame AGAIN. The heli actually performed well when it was, but the power dropped out too soon and the battery alarm is set for 3.6V so it spiked very low on those punches and just died sputtered the motor. I think the servos were jacked up or something. Oh well. I'll get it sorted and give it another go. Not quite Campos quality yet eh?

Worst part is this thing will cost almost as much as my 450 to repair. Maybe more... maybe next time it will work better... (famous Walkera catch phrase)
The first thing I noticed right at the get go is an unfamiliar, shall we say, noise going on. This may be a normal noise for this heli but it sounds suspect to me.

Too bad about the crash. Crashes are never welcome. I crashed my 450 a while back I think due to one defective servo. There is a silver lining for folks like me who enjoy tinkering with this stuff. Good luck on the rebuild!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:09 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,791 Posts
Quote:
The first thing I noticed right at the get go is an unfamiliar, shall we say, noise going on. This may be a normal noise for this heli but it sounds suspect to me.

Too bad about the crash. Crashes are never welcome. I crashed my 450 a while back I think due to one defective servo. There is a silver lining for folks like me who enjoy tinkering with this stuff. Good luck on the rebuild!
I won't be rebuilding it any time soon. I F'ed up and bought 6 4f200LM main gears. I'm positive i have bought them before and used them on the 4f200. POSITIVE. But i guess i was wrong. They won't work, not even close. So i'm stuck with 6 4f200LM main gears if anyone knows someone that needs them, i would very much like to sell them. Stupid.

But yeah, the X5 has me in the poor house for a little bit. When i can afford the $100 or more to fix the 4f200 i will. But it needs a lot of work and i don't have any of the parts right now. At least not the frame and stuff. I couldn't tell, something felt loose. Probably a ball link on a blade grip or swash. So thats easily $20-40 if both are broken. It's just too expensive to fix. Seriously, Gaui X5 parts are comparatively priced (not exactly, but Walkera ain't so cheap) But i plan on stocking up on some X5 parts, especially the expensive ones. So if i do crash hopefully i'll have all the stuff. I don't see myself enjoying the 4f200 in flight as much anymore. the 450 and X5 are my staples now. I just wanted to make or break the 4f200 today. I didn't expect this would happen. It hasn't bogged and spiked voltage like that in a while. The noise you hear is the canopy vibrating, i'm pretty sure. The battery alarm is wedged in there between it and it makes some funny noises. I wouldn't doubt if something else was wrong too. I just can't bother with it anymore. When this heli gets rebuild. IF i can ever find main gears and afford parts. I don't know if i'm going to fly it all that much. I might just sell it. It sure does roll nicely though and sounds cool in the air. But if it can't keep up, maybe i should just get what i can for it? I'm not sure. When i'm done with it, it will practically be a new heli with upgrades again.

I just realized, it was probably V200D03 main gears i bought that worked... Crappy.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:47 PM
Moving Parts
Joined May 2011
1,358 Posts
Quote:

I went. It was exactly what i expected, for the most part. There was ONE guy there. Sorry TWO guys there with helicopters. Sorry, i almost counted out the guy with the 600 size scale Bell 222. He was hidden most of the time. So him, and another guy that was flying a SAB Goblin 700, Align 700 and a 550 turned 600 They absolutely would not let me fly without AMA. The one guy flew the Bell 222, after a while when there wasn't 5 planks in the air flying patterns. He flew it around over the runway. There was one guy out there flying 3d on his plank while 5 other guys were flying patterns. Which he really was not supposed to be doing. But no one said anything, if they cared. The guy with the Goblin took it up once, off to the right side of the run way. He was using Turnigy packs too. But i can't talk because thats what i have on my X5 and 450. Anyway, after he flew i really wanted to fly. He was pretty good. But they wouldn't let me fly. I made a few sarcastic remarks in my typical sarcastic way. I am Italian after all. I eventually left to go fly where a bunch of people were at for a sea food festival. Remarking about how much safer it would be if i could fly there, very sarcastically, of course.

There was a few guys there about my age. Maybe a little younger. They were all from out of town and here for the fly in. The one guy was at the LHS when i bought my DX8. He recently bought a BEAST foam 3d plane from there. He was using his old DX7 and it kept locking out on him and crashing. This was his first flights too. Very sad i looked it over and couldn't figure anything wrong. But i don't do planks. I let him use my DX8 and it STILL locked out and crashed. He was beside himself. I told him my v450 story and he didn't feel so bad, i think. He's going to the LHS today to get the thing replaced. I don't know how well that will work out. I really felt for him. But it's a $140 plane. So i don't know, maybe they will repair it for him or something. After all it's not a WK.
I've been wanting to comment on this. I've never been to anything like this so it's difficult to know, but judging by the description, it sounds very busy sort of like an air show at the Air Force base here in Columbus. As far as I know, we don't have a flying field or AMA or group of hobby guys or anything remotely similar to what you describe. I get pretty nervous if I start to draw a crowd because of the danger involved. The bigger the heli, the more the fascination all the way up to the full sized helicopter. I don't think I will ever cease to be amazed by helicopters. They are truly amazing machines.

I think it would be worth it to risk being around all those potentially misguided missiles just to see a SAB Goblin 700 in person. What is your opinion of that heli? It looks really cool from HeliDirect web site. I guess $1K isn't too much to pay for a heli that size if it is Align quality or better which they say it is. There is a review in the October/November 2012 Heli Pilot magazine. It has helical gears, DFC type head, carbon fiber throughout. I really like the way the LiFe battery fits into the heli chassis. It even has a two stage belt driven "transmission." It appears to be quite an advanced heli. If I didn't already have a 600 with probably almost twice the cost of a SAB invested, I might be very tempted to buy one of these.

Judging by the size of the heli's at the event, I suppose they would laugh a person out the back door who showed up with a Trex 450 or something on that order. But then, if that person started doing some vicious 3D with it, that might draw a serious response.

I'm still having fun just hovering every chance I get. I finally found a really great place to fly. It's a junior league football field surrounded by trees so I shouldn't draw a crowd and trees shield from the wind. It can't be seen from any near by streets. I can't wait to try it out. I've been so space limited it is difficult to progress much beyond hovering.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:04 PM
Moving Parts
Joined May 2011
1,358 Posts
Quote:
I won't be rebuilding it any time soon.

the 450 and X5 are my staples now.
I just did some research on the GAUI X5; can't say I'm real familiar with that brand but looks very nice in this video. I don't know why people want to land and take off in the dirt. Oh well.

gaui x5 fes (5 min 29 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:54 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,791 Posts
Quote:
I've been wanting to comment on this. I've never been to anything like this so it's difficult to know, but judging by the description, it sounds very busy sort of like an air show at the Air Force base here in Columbus. As far as I know, we don't have a flying field or AMA or group of hobby guys or anything remotely similar to what you describe. I get pretty nervous if I start to draw a crowd because of the danger involved. The bigger the heli, the more the fascination all the way up to the full sized helicopter. I don't think I will ever cease to be amazed by helicopters. They are truly amazing machines.
Yeah, it's something like that. Not exactly as big.. They have a 360 view from their 2011 "fly in". It's from standing mid runway. Here is the link, there were more people this year i think. http://www.keithmackey.com/rams/rams.html

Quote:
I think it would be worth it to risk being around all those potentially misguided missiles just to see a SAB Goblin 700 in person. What is your opinion of that heli? It looks really cool from HeliDirect web site. I guess $1K isn't too much to pay for a heli that size if it is Align quality or better which they say it is. There is a review in the October/November 2012 Heli Pilot magazine. It has helical gears, DFC type head, carbon fiber throughout. I really like the way the LiFe battery fits into the heli chassis. It even has a two stage belt driven "transmission." It appears to be quite an advanced heli. If I didn't already have a 600 with probably almost twice the cost of a SAB invested, I might be very tempted to buy one of these.
The SAB Goblin is both VERY nice, and VERY over rated too. Every heli has issues, lets get that straight. But the goblin has been known to have a low tail clearance. So it has to be set properly. Even then it's a little close. Some people have experienced a boom strike mid 3D. The heli just explodes. Plus, how about that beautiful FRP canopy? You like how it wraps around the swash? It's a total PITA and it ALWAYS cracks in the front corner. Every one i've ever seen was cracked in the same spot from putting it on and taking it off. The heli's mechanics and drive system are top notch. The horizontal mounting of the servos is something different. I don't know if i like it or not. But it appears to be a excellent heli otherwise. Most of these issues are minor and addressable. I almost got a Goblin 630 instead of the Gaui X5. Or i was going to wait till the Goblin 500 was released. But the fact of the matter is SAB is WAY expensive. Just the frame, parts, tail boom. It will cost you a fortune in a repair. The Gaui X5 is one of the lightest 500 class airframes with a 4000 mAh pack it's only just 1 ounce or so under 6 lbs. It's very light and very powerful with a 15T pinion and a 16T is available. So there is all kinds of head room for governors with that. The best part is the parts are cheap. Not too over priced at all. For me, i don't mind paying the initial investment in the electronics, if they are good. This WILL prevent problems down the line. The heli frame and mechanical parts are fairly priced so the heli won't cost you an arm and a leg in repairs. If your electronics are good, and your lucky. The heli will only crash when it's your fault.

Align is good, but not great. In fact if i had to classify them they would be just above the "Walmart" of helicopter kits. Only because walmart doen't have anything that high in quality, or ever will for that matter. Align has major issues with their large helicopter's DFC rotor head type too. Anyway, they make a good heli, but their gyros and things are "Meh". The BeastX is one of the best out there for the cost and Gaui packs it in. Thats all i can say. They are scorching a trail, thats for sure. The "Gaui Grin" is evident in almost any owner. Not much to complain about besides some minor cosmetic and mechanical things. But you can obviously see Gaui making changes and listening to their users when they release new kits, or new waves of revised older model kits with changes. After all my research i decided i'm going to be flying Gaui products from now on. The X7 would be nice but i just can't afford crashes on the X5 So maybe i'll just buy another X5 airframe used and build it up from there. I'm not sure, but today i had my 10th flight and did my first tick-tocks on the X5. I'm still taking it easy.

Quote:
Judging by the size of the heli's at the event, I suppose they would laugh a person out the back door who showed up with a Trex 450 or something on that order. But then, if that person started doing some vicious 3D with it, that might draw a serious response.

I'm still having fun just hovering every chance I get. I finally found a really great place to fly. It's a junior league football field surrounded by trees so I shouldn't draw a crowd and trees shield from the wind. It can't be seen from any near by streets. I can't wait to try it out. I've been so space limited it is difficult to progress much beyond hovering.
Yeah, i wouldn't have laughed a 450 out. Like i said, there was only 2 guys flying any helicopters at all and they only flew one pack or so each. So i would have shoved a guy with a 450 out onto the field and told him to fly so i could at least watch helis fly(because they wouldn't let me fly).

Having more room will definatly help you progress. If you don't have a Sim, get one. It's a big help too.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:58 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,791 Posts
Quote:
I just did some research on the GAUI X5; can't say I'm real familiar with that brand but looks very nice in this video. I don't know why people want to land and take off in the dirt. Oh well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9vSU...eature=related
The dirt is better than tall grass. the grass stains the tail blades and main rotor if it's tall enough. I don't like constantly cleaning sand and grime out of all my oily parts. I always bring a little heli pad. But lately i've been doing low alt auto rotations to land. It's pretty cool. But i have to land in the grass/dirt.

Gaui X5 - Flight 10 - Time to push my limits - 11-05-12 (7 min 7 sec)
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:57 AM
Moving Parts
Joined May 2011
1,358 Posts
Quote:
The dirt is better than tall grass. the grass stains the tail blades and main rotor if it's tall enough. I don't like constantly cleaning sand and grime out of all my oily parts. I always bring a little heli pad. But lately I've been doing low alt auto rotations to land. It's pretty cool. But i have to land in the grass/dirt.
I have a piece of carpet I use when I find myself taking off from a dirt road or something. Anything to keep the dust down and out of the bearings.

Some day I'm going to try one of those back loops like you did at the front of the video. I sort of accidentally did one on my Phoenix sim then started doing them on purpose.

Yep, having a lot of space definately has its advantages.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:24 PM
Moving Parts
Joined May 2011
1,358 Posts
Quote:
Take a look over everything. Particularly the rear gear drive. Make sure the caps on the gear where the belt is are all pressed against the gear. Some times they slide down, which means you have to replace it. If those black gear caps move away, the belt rides on the corner of the gear and makes funny noises. It also shreds the belt. Also examine your motor, make sure the retaining "E-clip" is still on the top bearing under the pinion. One last thing. Oil all your bearings. I recommend Scorpion bearing oil. It's worked great on all my Walkera bearings. Bearings that should be oiled early on and after every 5-10 flight include the following.

Oiling like this this will eliminate any friction and lots of wear, run quieter and Increase your flight times too, as well as reduce temperatures in your ESC and motor. If you see excessive black gunking on the bearings you may have a bad bearing or you are applying oil to frequently and the dirt is causing grime build up. I like to run the bearings to let the oil seep in. Then i wipe the outside surface (when possible) with a swab or paper towel so the exterior is not oily and able to collect grime. Though a black grease like substance could be the bearing letting out, which means it's time to replace it. It can be hard to tell the two sometimes. But usually there will be visible wear on the seals around the bearing if it's going bad.
I received my Scorpion oil kit today. I almost immediately oiled almost all the bearings on my V200D01. WOW! What a difference. I could tell almost immediately how much freer everything turned!

Thanks for the advice!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:29 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,791 Posts
Quote:
I received my Scorpion oil kit today. I almost immediately oiled almost all the bearings on my V200D01. WOW! What a difference. I could tell almost immediately how much freer everything turned!

Thanks for the advice!!
Your welcome, you should also note your flight times. They should be a little better with the lack of friction. You should have either better performance, so more fun and have shorter flights. Or in basic "normal" flights you should defiantly get loner flights. But with the rotor and everything all freed up you should have more juice to pitch pump with. This could get fun and drain your battery

Don't forget to oil the bearings inside the for the torque tube at some point.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:35 PM
Moving Parts
Joined May 2011
1,358 Posts
Quote:
Your welcome, you should also note your flight times. They should be a little better with the lack of friction. You should have either better performance, so more fun and have shorter flights. Or in basic "normal" flights you should defiantly get loner flights. But with the rotor and everything all freed up you should have more juice to pitch pump with. This could get fun and drain your battery

Don't forget to oil the bearings inside the for the torque tube at some point.
That one probably needs oil as bad or worse than maybe the motor and even more difficult to get to except on the Trex 450 pro. I'm glad I found that video about oiling the motor bearings.

Thanks - Jack
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:36 AM
Joined Sep 2012
342 Posts
Hi,

as i bought my 4f200 i had lots of trouble with this bird. Tail was drifting an it did not fly very well.
But after some mods its flying totaly different, at least perfekt :-)
What i changed:
Servos: Futaba 3114
ESC: Turnigy 30A
RX: RX 2624V
Main Blades: Rex250
No Tail drift and absolute stable to fly, even when its very bad weather :-)

At least i bought my 4f200 at a discount price and with selling the stock parts even the upgrades werent really expensive. So its a nice little bird with a lot of punch
addifromgermany is offline Find More Posts by addifromgermany