HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:55 PM
Joined Aug 2011
328 Posts
I had not been flying the 4F200 for months since after the mod replace with Emax servo and RX2618 receiver.
It flies good for 20+ flights & the tail start to have some issues on the tail drive parts.
It not as stable as it was with the new setup.
The tail drive parts need some replacement as well, I really dissapointed on Walkera 4F200 seems every single piece does not last long and require mod to correct it.
I rather gave it up just for normal scale flying, and just stall on shelf for display.
Now I only stick with HK250 clones for 250 size with cheaper parts available & it flies extremely better with full 3D maneuver & durable comparing to expensive 4F200 with limited 3Dmaneuver .
It just too difficult to maintain 4F200 to achieve 3D maneuver.
Tovin is offline Find More Posts by Tovin
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:21 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tovin View Post
I had not been flying the 4F200 for months since after the mod replace with Emax servo and RX2618 receiver.
It flies good for 20+ flights & the tail start to have some issues on the tail drive parts.
It not as stable as it was with the new setup.
The tail drive parts need some replacement as well, I really dissapointed on Walkera 4F200 seems every single piece does not last long and require mod to correct it.
I rather gave it up just for normal scale flying, and just stall on shelf for display.
Now I only stick with HK250 clones for 250 size with cheaper parts available & it flies extremely better with full 3D maneuver & durable comparing to expensive 4F200 with limited 3Dmaneuver .
It just too difficult to maintain 4F200 to achieve 3D maneuver.
Your right. And walkera is by no means cheap when it comes to some of these models. Especially if you need to upgrade!

Today my tail rocker screw sheered in flight. It must have had crash damage. But either way. This heli was not meant for 3d and it does require a lot of maintenance. My X5 is my new baby, but i'm kind of scared of it. Lucky for me my v450 is flying again.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:23 PM
Moving Parts
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Looks good, that is about how mine was too.
Did you fly it in the pod and boom configuration? I guess regardless of the configuration, was it fairly easy to get off the ground and fly?
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:10 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperJack View Post
Did you fly it in the pod and boom configuration? I guess regardless of the configuration, was it fairly easy to get off the ground and fly?
Yeah, no problems at all. Except for 3D, it flies really nice when you get it tuned. These videos below were either before or during tuning.

4F200SD5 - 5 Blade rotor first test hover! (3 min 7 sec)

4F200SD5 - 5 Blade Rotor - Test flight at the park (5 min 29 sec)

4f200SD5 - 5 BL Rotor - SD5 Stock blades test flight (4 min 30 sec)
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:44 PM
Moving Parts
Joined May 2011
1,428 Posts
4f200SD5

Quote:
Yeah, no problems at all. Except for 3D, it flies really nice when you get it tuned. These videos below were either before or during tuning.
Yes, WOW! great videos and I love that designation - 4f200SD5. I am hoping to get my wife to make a video of my first flight.

How tight are your blades? They appear to be locked down.

I'm sure others might be interested in this project - especially cost. I got 99 per cent of my parts from Dave at Walkerahelicoptersupply.com and 1% at WOWhobbies. Dave mentioned that I maxed the FACTORY out on feathering shafts. That item might be relatively difficult to obtain any time soon.

Following is my cost itemization:

Swashplate = $20.45
5 Blade Set = 19.95
(1) Blade Grip = 26.80 ea
(4) Blade Grip = 32.50 ea (free shipping on $130 order)
Rotor Head = 17.60
(5) Feathering Shaft = 3.95 ea (27.94 w/shipping)
(1) PK Linkage set = 6.35 (from WOWhobbies)
TOTAL = approximately $260

The total doesn't include all the stuff I ordered experimentally that didn't work maybe $30 or so. Or the 200 hours of labor and research - LOL!

New Airwolf 200SD5 from WOWhobbies BNF = $600
New 4f200 BNF from WOWhobbies = $210

If, like me, you are just wanting to get some five blade experience and don't mind tinkering a bit, maybe the 4f200SD5 would be the route to go. But, if you want something cool looking with five blades and not too big, the Airwolf 200SD5 might be good (and pricey). And then there is the little bit bigger for $100 more V450BD5.

So, my old 4f200 (or new 4f200DS5 if you want to look at it that way - I do) is now up to about $475 at today's prices.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2012, 04:42 PM
Joined Sep 2010
484 Posts
Quote:
I want to get a new TX but i'm broke. It's hard to resist!

It's funny because i have been saying EXACTLY THAT. But you would be surprised how much support i get for Walkera being "Okay". Often when i bring up these intermittent issues about WK Rx units it's surprising how many people "Love their Devo" or "love their 2801". It often gets thrown in my face that th DX8 had major issues with dropping heli and everything too. But the truth that EVERYONE that is supporting Walkera fails to recognize is the DSMX version of the DX8 has been out for about two years, and sure it had problems at first and dumped aircraft because of it. But two years later, the ISSUE IS FREAKING FIXED! Where as, two years later, i'm buying a 2702V, NEW, and still having lock outs that have been reported here and there from users for over a year and a half now but remain for the most part hidden and very hard to find. When i started having the lock outs, NO ONE MENTIONED TO ME THAT THE 2702V has had this issue with other users before. I struggled with it for like 6 months. Switching out all kinds of different electronics in the process. The brand new units from wow hobbies still have the random defect and is dropping heli out of the sky. It's not cool. I wish more people would not be so supportive of Walkera just because they are invested with their products. It would be more accurate to say, i wish more people would ATTACK Walkera for the actions they take, as well as the ones they don't take, should a epic safety concern like this appear. It's absurd, honestly.
You can't blame me on that, since the first release of the 2702v I'v tried to warn people against Walkera loosing signal, here and on another forum, and very for safety reason, but I was the one who bash Walkera product and etc... etc... no one believed me. At the same time Wow had delayed the V500 release, publicly for unknown reason... but guess what was the reason.

Since all this time I tried to not to talk about this too much to avoid getting flamed, but anyway......
martin_ is offline Find More Posts by martin_
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:21 PM
Moving Parts
Joined May 2011
1,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_ View Post
You can't blame me on that, since the first release of the 2702v I'v tried to warn people against Walkera loosing signal, here and on another forum, and very for safety reason, but I was the one who bash Walkera product and etc... etc... no one believed me. At the same time Wow had delayed the V500 release, publicly for unknown reason... but guess what was the reason.

Since all this time I tried to not to talk about this too much to avoid getting flamed, but anyway......
Kevin Dean wouldn't flame you over it. He started a thread solely to thrash out the 2702 problem. kdean hangs out here if you haven't crossed paths http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1473111 . kdean has recorded numerous instances of crashes and frustrations due to 2702.
---------------------------------

I should have known better. Just checked HK600 and noticed your post. I'm sure you are familiar with kdean's frustrations over the 2702.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 03:15 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,321 Posts
Quote:
Yes, WOW! great videos and I love that designation - 4f200SD5. I am hoping to get my wife to make a video of my first flight.

How tight are your blades? They appear to be locked down.

I'm sure others might be interested in this project - especially cost. I got 99 per cent of my parts from Dave at Walkerahelicoptersupply.com and 1% at WOWhobbies. Dave mentioned that I maxed the FACTORY out on feathering shafts. That item might be relatively difficult to obtain any time soon.

Following is my cost itemization:

Swashplate = $20.45
5 Blade Set = 19.95
(1) Blade Grip = 26.80 ea
(4) Blade Grip = 32.50 ea (free shipping on $130 order)
Rotor Head = 17.60
(5) Feathering Shaft = 3.95 ea (27.94 w/shipping)
(1) PK Linkage set = 6.35 (from WOWhobbies)
TOTAL = approximately $260

The total doesn't include all the stuff I ordered experimentally that didn't work maybe $30 or so. Or the 200 hours of labor and research - LOL!

New Airwolf 200SD5 from WOWhobbies BNF = $600
New 4f200 BNF from WOWhobbies = $210

If, like me, you are just wanting to get some five blade experience and don't mind tinkering a bit, maybe the 4f200SD5 would be the route to go. But, if you want something cool looking with five blades and not too big, the Airwolf 200SD5 might be good (and pricey). And then there is the little bit bigger for $100 more V450BD5.

So, my old 4f200 (or new 4f200DS5 if you want to look at it that way - I do) is now up to about $475 at today's prices.
I keep my blades pretty tight. You don't want them sliding around on spool up or if the rpms drop and pick back up again. They are not overly tight, they can still move freely. But they are gripped good enough they can't move with out a small amount of force. I would avoid the the 450 size scale model. It might fly okay because it's not a 3D model. But walkera had serious issues with their 450 size heli. One of them being, running too hot. I don't think they addressed it at all, then put a scale fuse on the thing. It's got to end up falling out of the sky on it's own for no reason sooner than you would like. I couldn't trust it myself. Thats just my opinion. Knowing what you know now, you could build a HK450 or even a 600 size for around $600 and put a 5 blade rotor on it. Hell i have a Savox upgraded v450 with a smack of parts i'll sell you for $600. There really are much better alternatives for cheaper or bigger or whatever kind of mix and match you like. Something Walkera does not offer. They are a proprietary company. Once you buy their stuff, your stuck with it and their path of progression and new releases unless you pay lots more to get away from their equipment. Possibly even needing to buy a new TX if you want a blade heli or something like that.

Quote:

I just wish i had known before hand. Right now the new one wow sent me with longer antenna is working good. I flew a bunch of good flights on it in the last few days. About 10 total. No lock out yet.

Here is a video from today with it and the new 2702V with long antenna. It's not the best flight i had today, but it's the only one completed uploading. I of course have a bunch more on my youtube channel but this one is from today and a few more of the better flights are uploading too.

V450D01 - Flight 01 - 11-02-12 (4 min 58 sec)
Old Nov 03, 2012, 09:07 AM
Joined Sep 2010
484 Posts
Quote:
I keep my blades pretty tight. You don't want them sliding around on spool up or if the rpms drop and pick back up again. They are not overly tight, they can still move freely. But they are gripped good enough they can't move with out a small amount of force. I would avoid the the 450 size scale model. It might fly okay because it's not a 3D model. But walkera had serious issues with their 450 size heli. One of them being, running too hot. I don't think they addressed it at all, then put a scale fuse on the thing. It's got to end up falling out of the sky on it's own for no reason sooner than you would like. I couldn't trust it myself. Thats just my opinion. Knowing what you know now, you could build a HK450 or even a 600 size for around $600 and put a 5 blade rotor on it. Hell i have a Savox upgraded v450 with a smack of parts i'll sell you for $600. There really are much better alternatives for cheaper or bigger or whatever kind of mix and match you like. Something Walkera does not offer. They are a proprietary company. Once you buy their stuff, your stuck with it and their path of progression and new releases unless you pay lots more to get away from their equipment. Possibly even needing to buy a new TX if you want a blade heli or something like that.

I just wish i had known before hand. Right now the new one wow sent me with longer antenna is working good. I flew a bunch of good flights on it in the last few days. About 10 total. No lock out yet.

Here is a video from today with it and the new 2702V with long antenna. It's not the best flight i had today, but it's the only one completed uploading. I of course have a bunch more on my youtube channel but this one is from today and a few more of the better flights are uploading too.

http://youtu.be/Ldj5bYkhaxg
I have a suggestion for you, and I'm sure you thought about it, when you will be ready to put another FBL unit in your 450, turn this current one into fixed ID to see if it will stay reliable or not.
martin_ is offline Find More Posts by martin_
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:16 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,321 Posts
Quote:
I have a suggestion for you, and I'm sure you thought about it, when you will be ready to put another FBL unit in your 450, turn this current one into fixed ID to see if it will stay reliable or not.
Yeah, I'm considering it. I just want to see how long it goes first. As we all know, the unit is capable of tricking us into thinking it's working properly. Then all of a sudden you get a lock out 5 flights later. I'm close to 10 flights with it now. So maybe after a few more i will give it a shot. I think it would be interesting to find out that it works fine with fixed ID. I really think that the issue with lock outs is a random QC issue or from damage from a crash. Considering the location of the mounting. It's very likely to absorb a blade strike. I realized recently i made this same mistake with my Gaui X5 and i plan on relocating all of the electronics from the top to the bottom of the heli. Either inside the frame or out side the frame on the back panel between the knightheads.

So i will change it from this very possibly costly crash location. I thought i might be changing the pots. But i don't have to yet.:

To mounting everything i can in the location where the telemetry unit used to be installed here in this photo. Then i will mount the beastX on the opposite side of the frame in a vertical orientation, to protect it from blade strikes:

Also notice how the Microbeast, beastX gyro has an aluminum casing. Possibly to wick heat? I'd bet the 2702V could use such help too.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Nov 03, 2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:17 AM
Moving Parts
Joined May 2011
1,428 Posts
Here are a couple of pictures of my HK600 with five blade head before I realized I had bitten off way more than I could chew. I decided to drop back to two blades and get some experience flying this sized heli. I flew it a couple of times with five blades which taught me a lot about penta heads. I think the 4f200sd5 will be a good size to learn on. Some day, Lord willing, I plan on putting the five blade head back on the HK600 and installing it in the MD500D fuse I have waiting on it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:26 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,321 Posts
Quote:
Here are a couple of pictures of my HK600 with five blade head before I realized I had bitten off way more than I could chew. I decided to drop back to two blades and get some experience flying this sized heli. I flew it a couple of times with five blades which taught me a lot about penta heads. I think the 4f200sd5 will be a good size to learn on. Some day, Lord willing, I plan on putting the five blade head back on the HK600 and installing it in the MD500D fuse I have waiting on it.
I don't know much about the HKs. Is it an direct Align clone? Or is it different. Hard to tell in the pictures. Looks good though. I recently decided i'm going to have to join the AMA and fly at the local fields for safety. Weather or not that works out, well, we'll see. I'm headed over there today to see whats going on. Since no one has called me back yet and it's been a day. I'm guessing i shouldn't have said "I fly helis". Supposedly they are having a "Picnic & Fly-In" today. So maybe if i go up there i can fly there without AMA temporally. But i'm guessing i'm going to have to leave in relatively short order, possibly quite rudely, to go fly some where it is not safe because they want me to shell out over $200 for club membership and AMA registration. So by my logic, it will be THEIR fault if someone gets hurt, killed, or property gets damaged. That's what will go in my police report anyway.

The stupid part is i live in a retirement community. I'm sure most of their members are retired. But the field is always empty. So it's not the most popular thing around here. I just can't see why they wouldn't let me use their, for the most part, unused field while i recover from buying a $1500 heli. You know, until i can afford the fairly steep cost of memberships.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Nov 03, 2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 02:40 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,460 Posts
deleted
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Last edited by tracknoob; Nov 03, 2012 at 04:02 PM. Reason: not anyone's parent
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:32 PM
Moving Parts
Joined May 2011
1,428 Posts
Quote:
I don't know much about the HKs. Is it an direct Align clone? Or is it different. Hard to tell in the pictures. Looks good though. I recently decided i'm going to have to join the AMA and fly at the local fields for safety. Weather or not that works out, well, we'll see. I'm headed over there today to see whats going on. Since no one has called me back yet and it's been a day. I'm guessing i shouldn't have said "I fly helis". Supposedly they are having a "Picnic & Fly-In" today. So maybe if i go up there i can fly there without AMA temporally. But i'm guessing i'm going to have to leave in relatively short order, possibly quite rudely, to go fly some where it is not safe because they want me to shell out over $200 for club membership and AMA registration. So by my logic, it will be THEIR fault if someone gets hurt, killed, or property gets damaged. That's what will go in my police report anyway.

The stupid part is i live in a retirement community. I'm sure most of their members are retired. But the field is always empty. So it's not the most popular thing around here. I just can't see why they wouldn't let me use their, for the most part, unused field while i recover from buying a $1500 heli. You know, until i can afford the fairly steep cost of memberships.
Yes, the HK600 is a clone version of the very old Align Trex 600 CF.

http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/ga...ion_Manual.pdf

I call mine a HK(mostly Align)600-GT. There isn't much left except the frame and tail boom that isn't Align. I learned my lesson on this one. My next heli was a Trex 450 Pro 3GX Super Combo. I didn't save any money on the kit but it was much more fun to build.

I wish you good luck with the AMA thing. I bet you will meet some interesting folks if you attend their picnic.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:37 PM
Moving Parts
Joined May 2011
1,428 Posts
4f200SD5 Lift Off

I got it off the ground this evening. The first thing I noticed was how stable it is over the three blades. It was almost dark so didn't get a chance to do much tuning but so far it flys real nice.

I had this real strange noise right at first. At about half throttle, it would make this strange noise then the noise would go away soon thereafter as rpm increased. After flying for about four minutes the noise went away and hasn't returned. I'm just chalking it up to break in for now.
RCG Plus Member