HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:55 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenVK View Post
Only have the stock 20A Walkera ESC's at the moment.

What would you recomend as a replacement?
Well, i use the hobbywing skywalker with much success. I only got one because it was super cheap and at a place i was already placing an order. It ended up working out for me. But there is a slight draw back with programming an ESC's throttle ranges and other functions using the TX with the 2612V or 2618V RX. You should look at my build log post about it and watch the video i made to show how I had to enter programming mode with my ESC. This might not be the best option. But it's only $10.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...69&postcount=4

Other brands i've heard are good and many people have had no problems with are RC timer and Aeolian motor. I ordered my hobbywing from helidirect. The others you can pick up cheap on ebay.

I think they are all programmable so I'm sure all 3 brands are good selection.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:37 AM
United States, MN, Coon Rapids
Joined Feb 2012
309 Posts
Quote:
Only have the stock 20A Walkera ESC's at the moment.

What would you recomend as a replacement?
I have two that I am going to try. See attached photos.

1. HOBBYWING SkyWalker 20A
This is the one IntegrityHndywrk is currently using on his 4F200 without issue. It's $9.90 from HeliDirect (out of stock at the moment). As IntegrityHndywrk mentioned, its a programmable ESC. Comes with a built-in 5volt 2amp linear BEC.
2. HOBBYWING FLYFUN 40A
I got this for $28.50 from hobby-wing. Took three weeks to arrive. This is also a programmable ESC.Comes with a built-in 5volt 3amp switched BEC.
For the 4F200 using 3S battery I would recommend the one with the 3A switched BEC. Do this if you want to remove doubt regarding "is your receiver getting enough power".

For the 4F200 using 2S battery, the SkyWalker 20A is all you need.

What I really want is: a 30amp programmable ESC that comes with a 3amp (min) switched BEC. But the BEC offers an adjustable voltage in the range of 5volts to 6volts.
razorblade is offline Find More Posts by razorblade
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:59 PM
United Kingdom, England, Enfield
Joined Jan 2012
872 Posts
Great info, thank you guys. How about a 40A skywalker with a UBEC? Seems like a cheaper option than a switched BEC..Never tried a UBEC before though so maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree?

I've decided to name my 4F200 as "The Bitch".
She's giving me no end of grief but I'm not giving up on her yet..

I ran out of Walkera tail servos yesterday so had to get creative today. Tried one of the $4 MG servos but it was chattering like a budgie on heat. Next up I tried one of the D922MGs that I had bought for the cyclics on my V200.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10976
Worked fine at first and I thought I'd finaly got the Bitch under control. However, once the 3S batteries started fading, the dreaded tail spinning came back and it would need a fresh battery to "re-set" the gyro (or so it seems to me)

I can only assume its all to do with the voltage within the RX and how it and the gyro reacts with non stock servos. In other words, sometimes it can handle it, sometimes not! It must be such a small operating window of voltage that it wants, anything either side and it gets very twitchy. In that respect, I think you're spot on with this observation:
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
For the 4F200 using 3S battery I would recommend the one with the 3A switched BEC. Do this if you want to remove doubt regarding "is your receiver getting enough power".
BenVK is offline Find More Posts by BenVK
Last edited by BenVK; Jul 28, 2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 02:43 PM
Joined Aug 2011
325 Posts
Just installed long waited(3weeks) new RX2618V-D receiver arrived today.
Setup with Devo8S transmitter, need to reverse Rudder & Elevator channel.
Trim down the pitch travel on transmitter as well, first test hovering is very good with crisp response.
It sure perform very much better than 2612V, tail holding is better & lift off is very stable.
Worth the upgrade from stock RX2612 receiver.
Don't understand why Walkera would release such poor(RX2612) FBL receiver for 4F200.
Will test fly outdoor tomorrow to check the actual flight performance.
Hopefully no tail blow out for 3D flight.
Tovin is offline Find More Posts by Tovin
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:01 PM
Joined Nov 2011
771 Posts
Quote:
Great info, thank you guys. How about a 40A skywalker with a UBEC? Seems like a cheaper option than a switched BEC..Never tried a UBEC before though so maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree?

I've decided to name my 4F200 as "The Bitch".
She's giving me no end of grief but I'm not giving up on her yet..

I ran out of Walkera tail servos yesterday so had to get creative today. Tried one of the $4 MG servos but it was chattering like a budgie on heat. Next up I tried one of the D922MGs that I had bought for the cyclics on my V200.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10976
Worked fine at first and I thought I'd finaly got the Bitch under control. However, once the 3S batteries started fading, the dreaded tail spinning came back and it would need a fresh battery to "re-set" the gyro (or so it seems to me)

I can only assume its all to do with the voltage within the RX and how it and the gyro reacts with non stock servos. In other words, sometimes it can handle it, sometimes not! It must be such a small operating window of voltage that it wants, anything either side and it gets very twitchy. In that respect, I think you're spot on with this observation:
Sounds like you may have a bad BEC. Try just binding the heli and let it sit for a few minutes... then check to see if the tail servo and ESC are warm/hot. MEMs gyros do not react well to changes in the input voltage. They work on a neutral voltage and a known dV per degree change so if there's a drop in the input voltage it'll be perceived by the 3G as a change in direction, hence the spinning since it thinks the heli is rotating.

If the BEC doesn't solve it it might just be a bad RX, walkera's QC isn't what I'd call stellar.
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:47 PM
Joined Aug 2011
325 Posts
Test fly with the new RX2618V-D FBL receiver.
Finally flight characteristic is much enjoyable FFF quick turn, piro etc very stable.
Notice that with higher torque RPM head speed 4F200 would be more stable & crisp tail holding, using Rhino 40C pack.
I still feel 4F200 very soft stick(Expo) response comparing to my 250 clones with Walkera Transmitter. I also had reduce(less than 50%)for the Ball Delay function on 2618 receiver.
I already setup 105% dual rate with only 5% expo on Walkera 8S transmitter.
The feels are still too soft comparing to my 250 & 450 clones using Aurora9 transmitter.

Anyone having the soft stick feels on Walkera transmitter comparing to other transmitters on 250 size heli?
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:44 PM
Joined Feb 2012
309 Posts
Quote:
How about a 40A skywalker with a UBEC? Seems like a cheaper option than a switched BEC. Never tried a UBEC before though so maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree?
A UBEC is really just a fancy term for a external stand alone BEC. Universal/Ultimate Battery Eliminator Circuit. I suppose because some UBEC's have a jumper that you can use to set the volts to 5 or 6. Also because they are switched as apposed to linear.

To answer your question... yes you could go with the HOBBYWING SkyWalker 40A ESC and use a separate UBEC.

The SkyWalker 40A ESC comes with a built-in linear 5volt 3amp BEC, so if you did go with a separate UBEC then this would mean you don't use the built-in BEC and just snip the BEC leads off coming out of the ESC. Or maybe leave the leads there and use the built-in BEC for a light kit?
Old Jul 29, 2012, 02:00 AM
Joined Nov 2011
771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
A UBEC is really just a fancy term for a external stand alone BEC. Universal/Ultimate Battery Eliminator Circuit. I suppose because some UBEC's have a jumper that you can use to set the volts to 5 or 6. Also because they are switched as apposed to linear.

To answer your question... yes you could go with the HOBBYWING SkyWalker 40A ESC and use a separate UBEC.

The SkyWalker 40A ESC comes with a built-in linear 5volt 3amp BEC, so if you did go with a separate UBEC then this would mean you don't use the built-in BEC and just snip the BEC leads off coming out of the ESC. Or maybe leave the leads there and use the built-in BEC for a light kit?
External or internal a switched BEC would be the way to go. Linear BECs produce alot of heat. My 250 DFC has a linear BEC in the ESC and that thing gets toasty on the bench. That ESC is going to be the first upgrade.
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
Old Jul 29, 2012, 02:09 AM
Joined Jan 2012
872 Posts
Thanks again.
I think I'll try a SkyWalker 40A, there's a few coming up on ebay soon that I might get cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tovin View Post
Anyone having the soft stick feels on Walkera transmitter comparing to other transmitters on 250 size heli?
Did you try negative expo?
Old Jul 29, 2012, 02:33 AM
Joined Aug 2011
325 Posts
Haven't try negative expo, still need certain Expo for accurate stick linear response.
I still got some tail twitching alittle during hard pitch pump on 2618 receiver.
Will try to rebuild the slight dent for tail & main shaft after so many crashes before with 2612 receiver.
Currently I left only one main shaft for 4F200, will need to search for replacement.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 05:38 PM
Joined Feb 2012
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonFlyer View Post
Linear BECs produce alot of heat.
This is very true and even more so with a 3S battery setup and higher. Actually, a linear BEC is okay with a 2S battery setup.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 05:44 PM
Joined Jan 2012
872 Posts
But the V200D03 20A ESC is the same as the 4F200 though isn't it?
Never had a problem with my D03, it's been my most reliable heli so far.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:02 PM
United States, NC, New Bern
Joined Apr 2012
342 Posts
Hey fellas, I have a quick question regarding the main shafts.

does anybody know what the dimensions are for both the v200d03 and the 4f200 main shafts?

is it the same width as the v120d02s main shaft?

I appreciate any detailed input at all fellas, thanks.
Jon.M.Barter is offline Find More Posts by Jon.M.Barter
Last edited by Jon.M.Barter; Jul 29, 2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:16 AM
Joined Feb 2012
309 Posts
Quote:
But the V200D03 20A ESC is the same as the 4F200 though isn't it?
Never had a problem with my D03, it's been my most reliable heli so far.
Correct. The 4F200 and V200D03 have the same 20A ESC which has a built-in linear ESC. And it works.

The stock ESC has worked for most, and not so for others.

In the case where it has not worked for others is where a different ESC is wanted. So the recent ESC discussion has been about upgrading the ESC, and thus there are a few different options available. When shopping for an upgrade ESC, one with a switched BEC rated at 3amp at least is what I would recommend if it is within reach.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:17 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,861 Posts
It's a 4mm shaft - much bigger than V120D02S
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm