HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2012, 09:08 AM
United States, PA, Shippensburg
Joined Feb 2010
437 Posts
I follow this thread and the LM thread because I have both that I got from Dkfuji. My 4F200 flys great, no problems.The LM I'm still trying to get it setup. It's down for repair right now. Just dropped down from about 5'. Need new LG, main gear and tail gear assy. Anyhow I have a FBL head on order and when it gets here I'm gonna try the 2618. I don't do any hardcore 3D, so I just want some stabalization for sport flying. If it works I'll buy one. If not will probably go with Tarot or CopterX. I'm on a tight budget and the 2702 is a little pricey for me.
HELIRON69 is offline Find More Posts by HELIRON69
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:48 AM
Joined Aug 2011
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Keep in mind too, crashes with PLASTIC geared servos, no matter how well or poorly made, will strip when you crash. Plastic is still plastic. It's very unfortunate about your servo frying. But I really think you should take a step back and cool down. At least you can replace the servo's gears for cheap and hopefully get a replacement from futaba. For now just get a set of stock servos and the 2618V or replace your bad one and the gears in the others and you should be all set. Once you have everything setup to your liking i'm sure your experience will improve.

I did alot 3D with the 250 clone with some hard crashes the plastic HXT900 did survive couple of light crash & finally damaged the potential inside.
The last hard landing for 4F200 with blade strike was minor comparing to 250.
Think I might don't have the luck with 4F200, it so much difficult to handle 3D with the jerky control of RX2612 gyro.
No matter what tuning I did on the RX2612 it still won't hold the tail with fast turning flipping around it.
Sometime I was able to retrieve the blow out & roll it right. It just too unpredictable of the sensor over swash plate control during fast action flying.

How's RX2618 perform over 2612?
More stable on tail & cyclic? If not then I might then just leave it alone as original for normal flying only.
Tovin is offline Find More Posts by Tovin
Old Jul 04, 2012, 01:44 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELIRON69 View Post
Since this thread covers Rx's and 450's, what do you think about putting the 2618 on a 450. I have 2 450 clones and have been thinking of converting one of them to fbl. Have been looking at Tarot ZYX and CopterX fbl systems. From what I've been reading it would be easier to use the 2618. Any ideas?
You can make the 2618 or 2624 work on the 450, but you will probably have to reorient it. I'm using a 2618 on my TRex 250, but I have it inverted with the connectors facing toward the rear. It depends on the servo's you use, and how they rotate. If you have a problem with the tail servo you can just flip it to the other side. It takes some doing, but it will work.

Also take a look at the RoBird 3 axis gyro. Early reports are that it is working very well.
Check out the thread on the CX gyro before you buy one, there are problems with it.
This one is supposed to be th same as the RoBird.
New ALZRC 3GY V2.0 FBL System
Here's the link for Robird
http://www.skyhobbies.com.sg/pagelin...RobirdG31.html
clearprop88 is offline Find More Posts by clearprop88
Last edited by clearprop88; Jul 04, 2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 03:50 PM
Joined Feb 2010
437 Posts
I've been reading up on both Tarot and CopterX and people seem to be having problems with both. I have a 2801Pro Tx and both my 450's have the 2801 Rx in them. That's why I was thinking 2618V for one of them. Will it work if I use revers on the Tx if the servos don't move the right way? I will find out tomorrow when I take the Rx out of my 4F200LM. Trying to find an easy way to convert. Hoped I didn't need another box and more wires.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 04:40 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
Quote:
I've been reading up on both Tarot and CopterX and people seem to be having problems with both. I have a 2801Pro Tx and both my 450's have the 2801 Rx in them. That's why I was thinking 2618V for one of them. Will it work if I use revers on the Tx if the servos don't move the right way? I will find out tomorrow when I take the Rx out of my 4F200LM. Trying to find an easy way to convert. Hoped I didn't need another box and more wires.
Reversing the servo's in the TX only gets you in the ballpark. Then to get the gyro's going in the right direction you may have to change the orientation of the RX. With the stock servo's on my 4F200 the 2618 is mounted upright with the antenna facing aft. It may work out to be the same on the 450. It depends on the servo's.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 04:58 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tovin View Post
I did alot 3D with the 250 clone with some hard crashes the plastic HXT900 did survive couple of light crash & finally damaged the potential inside.
The last hard landing for 4F200 with blade strike was minor comparing to 250.
Think I might don't have the luck with 4F200, it so much difficult to handle 3D with the jerky control of RX2612 gyro.
No matter what tuning I did on the RX2612 it still won't hold the tail with fast turning flipping around it.
Sometime I was able to retrieve the blow out & roll it right. It just too unpredictable of the sensor over swash plate control during fast action flying.

How's RX2618 perform over 2612?
More stable on tail & cyclic? If not then I might then just leave it alone as original for normal flying only.
You know what!!! I could not fly my 4f200 with the 2612 either. The tail wagged like a dog! I bought the 2618 and the tail wag went away and the heli flew like a whole new bird. It really is a needed upgrade for the 4f200. The 4f200LM of course already comes with this RX in it so it flies much better.

The 4f200 is by far my favorite heli since day one! However, if i were to tell someone to buy it. I would strongly recommend they get a 2618 or 2702V RX for it, depending on their budget. No one wants to pay the 2702V price. The next thing that i feel is absolutely needed on the 4f200 is a replacement ESC. I used a $9 Hobbywing ESC and i hear there are other good ones like RC timer and Aeolian that will work great with this bird too. The stock one is prone to failure and brown outs.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Jul 04, 2012, 05:25 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
if i were to tell someone to buy it. I would strongly recommend they get a 2618 or 2702V RX for it, depending on their budget. No one wants to pay the 2702V price.
After spending probably $400 or so in various repair costs from incidents with the crappy 4F200 OEM provided gear, desperately trying to make that lower grade WK 3axis system work, this is exactly what I learned.

2618 == marginally acceptable, but 2702 == very good, and will save you much money and gnashing of teeth in the long run.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Jul 04, 2012, 05:33 PM
Joined Feb 2010
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88 View Post
Reversing the servo's in the TX only gets you in the ballpark. Then to get the gyro's going in the right direction you may have to change the orientation of the RX. With the stock servo's on my 4F200 the 2618 is mounted upright with the antenna facing aft. It may work out to be the same on the 450. It depends on the servo's.
I had to find out. Looks like I will have to mount it upside down with the ant. facing forward and move the tail servo to the other side. Just have to wait until I get my fbl head. Thanks for the help.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 06:15 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
Quote:
I had to find out. Looks like I will have to mount it upside down with the ant. facing forward and move the tail servo to the other side. Just have to wait until I get my fbl head. Thanks for the help.
I'm glad to hear that you got it worked out.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 08:25 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
After spending probably $400 or so in various repair costs from incidents with the crappy 4F200 OEM provided gear, desperately trying to make that lower grade WK 3axis system work, this is exactly what I learned.

2618 == marginally acceptable, but 2702 == very good, and will save you much money and gnashing of teeth in the long run.
The 2618 is perfectly fine if your using the stock servos. If you want better servos that might work backwards from stock. I highly recommend the 2702V or better yet the spectrum AR7200BX for the bigger bucks. Thats the true story on which to pick. While you can mess with the 2618's orientation and mount it upside down and backwards... well it's just inconvenient and something i'd rather not mess with doing again. Though in the 4f200's case when i do order my MKS servos, this is exactly what i expect i will have to do. I believe just rotating it backwards should be fine. Take a look at this:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1402453

Good freaking luck finding them in stock ever though. But they should be kick ass servos. MG and digital. Can't be bad at all right? The question is, how much work to make them fit? hopefully just trimming the arms.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:17 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,125 Posts
4f200 upgrade motor experiment

I have settled on this motor as an experimental "upgrade" for the 4f200:
https://02b5baf.netsolstores.com/hm-...motor-1-1.aspx

Unlike the one wow has listed on the 4f200 page, this should actually be a 30g weight 250 class motor.

Ok, well i don't know what size pinion the CB180Z has, that this motor will come with. I think the 4f200 has a 2mm motor shaft right? I should have thought out the pinions and motor shaft sizes more. Form what i have read the motor will probably run about as strong as the stock 4f200 motor but it will run cooler, and thusly have longer flight times and less down time between flights while i wait for the motor to cool off.

Based on this post:
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?p=3236054

I'm assuming i will either be able to directly use the pinion that comes with it or swap the pinion on my old 4f200 motor over. As long as performance is comparable and the motor runs cooler i will be happy. But something tells me with a hobbywing ESC driving it, not the stock preset timing ESC, it should be more powerfull. My stock motor was after installing this ESC.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:27 AM
United States, MN, Coon Rapids
Joined Feb 2012
310 Posts
Hey All,

I've been doing some research on digital metal gear cyclic servos as an upgrade for the 4F200 that will fit with little modification. I used the Futaba S3154 as a reference point. I should note that I am not so concerned with servo tab fit. So my research was constrained to:
  • digital
  • metal gears
  • width 11cm (12cm max)
  • height 21.8cm (anything taller will have to be filed down)
  • torgue: 1.5 kg/cm @ 4.8 volts -- 1.7 kg/cm @ 6 volts
  • speed: 0.10 sec/60 @ 4.8 volts -- 0.09 sec/60 @ 6 volts

Research Results

BlueArrow D05010MG
$7.70 @ HobbyKing, based on feedback here , they have faulty electronics.

MKS DS470 $31.50 @ mksservosusa.comar, are faster and have more torque. Will require modification - they are 22.5cm in height.

EMAX ES08MD $11.99 @ oomodel.com, just as fast but have more torque. Will require modification to fit.
Conclusion
Most of the micro servos have plastic gears and if you want more options you have to start looking at mini servos but in the mini category there are very few options again because the options are limited by size, yes size. Most of the mini servos that would be close to fitting are 23mm tall (height) and I fear the amount of modification needed will weaken the casing.

I ended up with purchasing three EMAX ES08MD servos from oomodel.com for $11.99 each.

The EMAX servos will probably take 14 days to get here. Unable to find any exact dimensional specs but I am optimistic they will fit with some modification based on another rcgroups member, deliver1003, installed these onto his 4F200. And they are cheap so why not. Worse thing that can happen right now is they never arrive from china. If they perform well enough, I will purchase 3 more since they are very inexpensive.

The MKS servo is the brand with the best reputation.
razorblade is online now Find More Posts by razorblade
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:35 AM
Joined Feb 2012
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tovin View Post
The futaba S3114 is direct fit but still fragile & not strong enough, the servo gear stripped. And also fried one futaba servo without any reason during the installation process. I hate it now more than the walkera original 766 servok At least the 766 servo will not burn out during the setup process.
If the S3114 servo is less than a year old, send it to Tower Hobbies Hobby Services before your warranty expires. Note they do not warranty stripped gears. Call them at 217-398-0007 or email them hobbyservices@hobbico.com
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:47 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
Hey All,

I've been doing some research on digital metal gear cyclic servos as an upgrade for the 4F200 that will fit with little modification. I used the Futaba S3154 as a reference point. I should note that I am not so concerned with servo tab fit. So my research was constrained to:
  • digital
  • metal gears
  • width 11cm (12cm max)
  • height 21.8cm (anything taller will have to be filed down)
  • torgue: 1.5 kg/cm @ 4.8 volts -- 1.7 kg/cm @ 6 volts
  • speed: 0.10 sec/60 @ 4.8 volts -- 0.09 sec/60 @ 6 volts

Research Results

BlueArrow D05010MG
$7.70 @ HobbyKing, based on feedback here , they have faulty electronics.

MKS DS470 $31.50 @ mksservosusa.comar, are faster and have more torque. Will require modification - they are 22.5cm in height.

EMAX ES08MD $11.99 @ oomodel.com, just as fast but have more torque. Will require modification to fit.
Conclusion
Most of the micro servos have plastic gears and if you want more options you have to start looking at mini servos but in the mini category there are very few options again because the options are limited by size, yes size. Most of the mini servos that would be close to fitting are 23mm tall (height) and I fear the amount of modification needed will weaken the casing.

I ended up with purchasing three EMAX ES08MD servos from oomodel.com for $11.99 each.

The EMAX servos will probably take 14 days to get here. Unable to find any exact dimensional specs but I am optimistic they will fit with some modification based on another rcgroups member, deliver1003, installed these onto his 4F200. And they are cheap so why not. Worse thing that can happen right now is they never arrive from china. If they perform well enough, I will purchase 3 more since they are very inexpensive.

The MKS servo is the brand with the best reputation.
Yes, i settled on the MKS a while ago. I just have not been able to get any so for now the stock servos is the way it will be. Between us here we should have the guide lines for the 4f200MGS-PRO custom model tutorial and "how too" in no time. Maybe start building a better reputation for this heli and get some more people that like to tinker into it. Maybe even make walkera take notice and release a devo version with a RX that people will want to buy without having to go through all these modifications and upgrades just to fly the heli like a real CP.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 09:43 PM
Joined Feb 2012
310 Posts
Futaba Hobby Services received my servo today. They sent me an email with a work order number and a web site link which I can use to check on the status of the work being done. Still have to see how this pans out.