Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:05 PM
United States, MN, Coon Rapids
Joined Feb 2012
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
1. Install a seperate 3A switching BEC
IntegrityHndywrk,

If you were looking to install an seperate switching BEC you could get this one:
HobbyKing Micro UBEC 3A / 5v $3.77
razorblade is offline Find More Posts by razorblade
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2012, 10:22 PM
Joined Dec 2011
6 Posts
Hi guys, does anyone of you tried to use a gyro in this heli? like a Spartan Quark Gyro.

Thanks,
Glenn
Glen_d13 is offline Find More Posts by Glen_d13
Old May 03, 2012, 12:57 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,962 Posts
Okay, i have my 4f200 back up and running after its crash into a tree. I have set all the pitches to the blades at 0 degrees and my swash is, for the most part, level. I have some aweful blade tracking issues with the brand new set of stock 4f200 blades. I don't have a balancer, so i'm hoping these are close to balanced.

I guess what i need to know is exactly how likely is it that i bent one or more of the blade grip shafts or the whole head? I know blade tracking can take some time with this heli but this is nuts. I know my pitch for each blade is very close to the same. At low speed the tacking is all over the place but with the throttle stick at %50, where my pitch should be approximately 0 degrees, the tracking is almost dead on. As i slow down the head speed the 3 blades all separate completely into 3 layers. I'm thinking either i need a blade balancer or to learn how to balance without one. I don't know what else could be causing this besides the bent shafts. The helicopter flies but feels a little strange in the air and has some small vibes. The blade phasing is correct and everything else is working fine. I just cant seem to get the blades to tack properly at lower speeds.

Also in regards to the rudder. If i flip my gyro on the TX to 20% gyro the heli should basically not spin or drift with left or right rudder correct? Perhaps I am wrong, or doing something wrong. But to accomplish this i had to shorten the rudder rod all the way to its smallest point, pulling the steering slider nearer to the boom. Now i hardly have any rudder movement available and can't turn up the ext gain because the steering slider already hits up against the boom side hub. What could i have wrong? I'm used to the servo arm and rocker arm both being approx 90 degrees.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; May 03, 2012 at 01:18 AM.
Old May 03, 2012, 06:14 AM
Joined Jul 2011
44 Posts
My bird is flying again yeeehaaaa

Walkera 4F200 Custom Upgrade flight (5 min 8 sec)

deliver1003 is offline Find More Posts by deliver1003
Old May 03, 2012, 09:48 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deliver1003 View Post

http://youtu.be/-e3MS-treUc

What are the custom upgrades? I'm glad I'm not the only one that goes out flying in shorts and slides.
Old May 03, 2012, 09:53 AM
Joined Jul 2011
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
What are the custom upgrades? I'm glad I'm not the only one that goes out flying in shorts and slides.
My custom upgrades are the following:

Rx2702V receiver with 3G stabilizing system,
Emax ES08 MD digital metal geared cyclic servos,
Hitec MS-5065 MG digital metal geared tail servo,
Glitch Buster Capacitator for the rx circuit,
Doubled capacitators on the ESC,
Ferrite ring to the Bec cable as just like the 30A Walkera Esc.
T connectors on the batteries and on the ESC as well.

Best wearing for a fun fly
Old May 03, 2012, 10:44 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,962 Posts
Quote:
My custom upgrades are the following:

Rx2702V receiver with 3G stabilizing system,
Emax ES08 MD digital metal geared cyclic servos,
Hitec MS-5065 MG digital metal geared tail servo,
Glitch Buster Capacitator for the rx circuit,
Doubled capacitators on the ESC,
Ferrite ring to the Bec cable as just like the 30A Walkera Esc.
T connectors on the batteries and on the ESC as well.

Best wearing for a fun fly
Sounds nice. I didn't want to drop the cash on the 2702RX on mine so i got the 2618. It works fine, but i suppose for the MG servos the 2702 is better. Did the servos just "drop in" the frame? I'm looking to upgrade to MG servos or at the least digital with cheap replaceable servo gear sets. But I don't want to have to do a lot of modification. My v450 is my main focus right now. The 4f200 has been giving me blade tracking issues since i hit a tree. I think i have bent blade grip shafts. Those things are so short i can't imagine them bending. But this is walkera, so i will order some and see. High rpm the blades track well though so i'm going to fly it today.

As for my tail issue mentioned in my last post. The rocker arm screw broke, probably when i hit the damn tree, on the tail steering rocker linkage. I can't believe there is no bearing and bushing in this rocker arm. Just a brass bushing. Anyway The screw broke so I will have to readjust the rudder. Hoping i can get it to neutral point correctly this time. I could still use some advise on how to properly adjust the rudder on here. I'm pretty sure the heli should not yaw or spin with the gyro set to 20% in the TX right?
Old May 03, 2012, 12:53 PM
Joined Jul 2011
44 Posts
Hmm. it was quite a job to set the mg serrvos but i think it is a must on this model to have mg servos. Maybe different brands fits better then mine. I dont have information about it. 20% gyro gain with original rx? you should make a try on it .. i suggest at least 30% first than u can go down if it is needed. i think u can set differental gyro gain on board. so use about 30% in tx and lower your pots in cyclic on your rx onboard. it should have to work!
Yeah v450... i had to buy it ... but now i have only f200 so my next will be around trex 600fbl ... i hope i can try a v500d1 or a v450 in the future.. i love those machines!

have a nice flight!
Old May 03, 2012, 03:27 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,962 Posts
So now with my 4f200 back in running condition, even though i cant get rid of the low rpm blade tracking issue. The vibrations is almost all gone now and i have it set pretty well. So its time for a new project. I was going to use my v450 for this but the 4f200 is just smaller and easier & safer to test in my driveway.

So to entertain myself while charging my batteries I threw together a very crude FPV system using my lead acid battery for field charging my packs and some other miscellaneous items i picked up on ebay for around $100. I decided to use the tail boom holder as my mounting spot because it is already somewhat isolated for the RX. So i don't get a whole lot of camera shaking in the air, it works quite nice. I have not tested the range, but i really, really, really doubt i'll get the 100Ms boasted by the camera receiver. Maybe half of that, maybe. The camera does pick up intermittent distortion and static from the helicopter's RX and electronics. It is a 2.4ghz cmos camera. I don't have a DVR or any way to record and upload the feed yet though. I found a USB DVR for my laptop on ebay for like $10 so i might try that out. Right now i have it mirrored though a little 7 inch screen that used to be attached to my old PS2 for spectator view. Then it gets routed to my cheap little Myvue "fpv" goggles. Very crude indeed but gets the job done. I'm happy with it for under $150 including the cost of the Pb battery. The low, "ground eye view" of the camera, basically sitting on the ground while the helicopter is resting, allows for a very good perspective for FPV flight. I can see the horizon, the ground when i get within a few feet of it and i can see the underside of my canopy above at the tippy top of my screen which helps with level orientation with the horizon.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; May 03, 2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old May 03, 2012, 05:46 PM
Joined Jul 2011
44 Posts
Nice !!! i have no idea what is the range of the 2801. have u? but i wont go further then 100meter. i heard something about that if u use the same spectrum for control and for the video, may you will have some glitches. Try out first unplug the motor then leave the heli and try the ranges with using cyclic servos. or ask somebody to carry the heli far away from u. i think it is god to know the range. Anyways nice work. somehow try to record some aireal footage. it would be amazing have fun!
Last edited by deliver1003; May 03, 2012 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Sorry for my english :D
Old May 03, 2012, 08:29 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,962 Posts
Quote:
Nice !!! i have no idea what is the range of the 2801. have u? but i wont go further then 100meter. i heard something about that if u use the same spectrum for control and for the video, may you will have some glitches. Try out first unplug the motor then leave the heli and try the ranges with using cyclic servos. or ask somebody to carry the heli far away from u. i think it is god to know the range. Anyways nice work. somehow try to record some aireal footage. it would be amazing have fun!
The range is approx. 100 meters for 2.4ghz frequency band. You can get more range out of it with better antennas and amplifiers. You can also repeat the signal just like wifi. I used a 1 gHz spiral antenna that was on one of my old 2.4ghz wifi base stations. It increased clarity and visual glitches. The helicopter's RX is a channel hopping 2.4ghz system. So it is constantly changing channels so interference is pretty much protected on the controls. It functions well. Video feed is low quality but it works. I got about 5 feet off the ground and landed fine. You have to be in a wide open field because you cant see the surroundings besides whats in front of you and you have to get used to the depth perception of the camera because objects may appear closer than they are type of effect. As soon as i find a way to record analogue video (composite) as a digital format without buying something expensive i will have some video. For now i have to stick to the hat cam videos.
Old May 04, 2012, 02:04 AM
Joined Feb 2012
309 Posts
Quote:
Okay, i have my 4f200 back up and running after its crash into a tree. I have set all the pitches to the blades at 0 degrees and my swash is, for the most part, level. I have some aweful blade tracking issues with the brand new set of stock 4f200 blades. I don't have a balancer, so i'm hoping these are close to balanced.

I guess what i need to know is exactly how likely is it that i bent one or more of the blade grip shafts or the whole head? I know blade tracking can take some time with this heli but this is nuts. I know my pitch for each blade is very close to the same. At low speed the tacking is all over the place but with the throttle stick at %50, where my pitch should be approximately 0 degrees, the tracking is almost dead on. As i slow down the head speed the 3 blades all separate completely into 3 layers. I'm thinking either i need a blade balancer or to learn how to balance without one. I don't know what else could be causing this besides the bent shafts. The helicopter flies but feels a little strange in the air and has some small vibes. The blade phasing is correct and everything else is working fine. I just cant seem to get the blades to tack properly at lower speeds.
I've bent a Main Rotor Blade Shaft before when I crashed into some landscaping stones. This messed up my blade tracking.

How I discovered it was to take the main blades off and give it little bit of throttle and stare at the blade grips with my eyes while the head is spinning. You can also check for a bent main shaft this way too.

Then of course the main blades might be out of balance. Do you have a gram scale? Weigh each blade.

Try that and let us know what you find.
Old May 04, 2012, 02:23 AM
Joined Feb 2012
309 Posts
Quote:
Also in regards to the rudder. If i flip my gyro on the TX to 20% gyro the heli should basically not spin or drift with left or right rudder correct?
Is that 20% gyro gain in heading hold mode or 20% gyro gain in rate mode?

Quote:
I'm used to the servo arm and rocker arm both being approx 90 degrees.
I agree. I also make sure the tail pitch slider is located in the center of its mechanical travel at the same time when the tail gyro is positioned at its electrical center. The tail pitch slider I am referring to is in the black aluminum mechanism in the next image.

Quote:
Perhaps I am wrong, or doing something wrong. But to accomplish this i had to shorten the rudder rod all the way to its smallest point, pulling the steering slider nearer to the boom. Now i hardly have any rudder movement available and can't turn up the ext gain because the steering slider already hits up against the boom side hub. What could i have wrong?
Maybe ensuring the tail pitch slider is located in the center of its travel will fix this? The tail servo initializes to its electric center position after the rx is bound to the tx. Check for tail pitch slider center after the tail servo is centered. If its not, make some adjustments. I also try my best to make sure the pitch slider has full travel both ways and that the servo stops when the slider has reach its maximum travel on both sides of the tail shaft. I don't own a 2801 pro so I am not sure if there is a tail servo travel adjustment you can mess with.

I sure hope you figure out your tail problems. Having a tail that performs is very crucial for an enjoyable flight.
Old May 04, 2012, 02:29 AM
Joined Feb 2012
309 Posts
Quote:
Looks fun. Thanks for sharing, deliver.

Makes me wanna take my 4F200 out for some fast forward flight circuits.

I've been wasting my time on the Blade mCPX... learning flips and rolls, trying to get the hang of doing a forward flip and transition into an inverted hover. Its not easy. I am slowly, gradually getting the hang of it.
Old May 04, 2012, 02:41 AM
Joined Feb 2012
309 Posts
Flipping the 4F200

So I've been using an mCPX as my 3D trainer performing flips and rolls and attempting inverted hovers... at some point when I become confident enough, I would like to transition some of these maneuvers over to the 4F200.

But I don't want this to happen.... crash ... watch the video at around 0:50.

( i feel for this person )

WALKERA 4F200 墜落 Shooting with the Panasonic DC2 (1 min 0 sec)

Enjoy!