HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:12 AM
Retired Engineer
St. Augustine, Florida
Joined Sep 2006
1,209 Posts
RazorBlade:

Can you explain a little about your setups. I have the same in a 4F200LM. Specifically Setup G (Servo Centering) and J (Cyclic Pitch Geometry). I am trying to setup mine at -4 +5 +9 as opposed to -9 0 +9. for the Zero adjustment do you set up for 0 or +5? Then add + 5 to the total adjustment instead of +6* would it be +11? (5 + 6).

Also what method did you use to level the swash and adjust the pitch on the 3 blade head? I set a blade to +5* (using a digital pitch gauge) and set the swash to be +5 (give or take) at 4 opposing points and then adjusted the other 2 blades the same. OR do you adjust the blade at the 3 points on the 12-* swasg. This is not too clear in the manual.

That is what I have done for mine and on takeoff it drifts a lot to the left. Is this normal? Do you ave to do a quick "hop" to get it into the air? The heal lock is solid.

I have some training gear on mine so it is bottom heavy.

Any help would be appreciated I may start a new adjustment thread.

Thanks
ShokWaveRider is online now Find More Posts by ShokWaveRider
Last edited by ShokWaveRider; Mar 13, 2012 at 08:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2012, 06:29 PM
United States, MN, Coon Rapids
Joined Feb 2012
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Any help would be appreciated I may start a new adjustment thread.
Hi ShokWaveRider,

I started a new thread as I feel half of the technical details will be related to Spektrum equipement. I started the new thread with a *nudge* for everyone to be mindful of this thread, being it is a result of "wisdom of the crowd".

New Thread: Walkera 4F200/4F200LM/V200D03 with AR7200BX Setup

Since there is now a new thread, please post your AR7200BX setup problems in the new thread.

See you in the new thread!
razorblade is online now Find More Posts by razorblade
Old Apr 08, 2012, 02:38 PM
Joined Jul 2011
7 Posts
Walkera 4F200 Tail Wobble Solved

Hi everyone, I have a 4F200 that had some serious tail wobble, after playing around with everything mechanical I decided to put on my vintage piezo gyro and mount it on the tail servo. I can't believe after putting up with this that the tail is rock solid now. I have the gyro set on 57, when I put it to zero the tail drifts. Does anyone see any problem using this setup short of buying a new receiver? I've read the posts on this poor RX2612 receiver being garbage which I agree with now.
Thanks
Binford is offline Find More Posts by Binford
Old Apr 08, 2012, 04:31 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binford View Post
Hi everyone, I have a 4F200 that had some serious tail wobble, after playing around with everything mechanical I decided to put on my vintage piezo gyro and mount it on the tail servo. I can't believe after putting up with this that the tail is rock solid now. I have the gyro set on 57, when I put it to zero the tail drifts. Does anyone see any problem using this setup short of buying a new receiver? I've read the posts on this poor RX2612 receiver being garbage which I agree with now.
Thanks
Yes, most people agree that the 2612 RX is not good. Get a 2618 or 2624. They are much better. Hard to find but well worth the effort. Also the ESC has a 2A BEC. 2A is not enough for a CP heli. Especially if you add a Gyro. Replace the ESC with a 30A, with a 3A BEC.
clearprop88 is online now Find More Posts by clearprop88
Old Apr 09, 2012, 01:31 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jun 2008
48 Posts
Quote:
Thanks
I do not know your other settings on 2801PRO and on the receiver, but my 4f200 is very stable and the tail is also solid like rock. I use 70%/63% in my settings.
But as I mentioned before - I do not know your settings on the receiver
fassla is offline Find More Posts by fassla
Old Apr 13, 2012, 01:47 PM
Joined Feb 2012
310 Posts
Quote:
I have the gyro set on 57, when I put it to zero the tail drifts.
Is zero not the highest gain setting for rate mode and 49 would be the lowest gain setting for rate mode? And 51% would be the lowest gain setting for heading hold mode with 100% being the highest gain setting for head hold mode?

I think you want to be in heading hold mode.

What happens when you try a gyro setting of 55%? Does the tail wag? If not raise to 58%. Does the tail wag? Keep raising it in 3% increments until you start to see tail wag. Once you start to see tail wag then back it down (decrement) by 2%. This is just one of many gyro setting techniques to tackling tail wag problems.

Did you try using different gyro tape on the receiver?
Old Apr 13, 2012, 09:56 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,321 Posts
Quote:
Thanks
I just ordered a new 2618 for mine. especially after the mysterious loss of TX bind that i had about 10 seconds after take off (lucky, 2nd time though, really lucky.). It was a night flight so i could clearly see the receiver 5 feet in front of me go from solid red LED to blinking at about an 10-15 foot alt. Then zero control and my heli did whatever the hell it wanted from that point. What it wanted to do was spool down very slowly, land nicely actually, then slide on the ground sideways till it was in between 2 full garbage cans and it did not stop spinning till i came over and pushed down on the rotor. ANOTHER problem this RX seems to have is not cutting the throttle off all the way, all the time, so it just spins at a lower idel than i can produce with my TX, even with the TX off. Soooo. I just left it on the ground and walked inside and ordered a new RX, trust me its a needed upgrade and well worth spending the money before you have to rebuild your heli AGAIN because of a bunk RX. I am having the same problem with the tail too in hover only. It wags like a dog happy to see its owner. I did find that the ball on the steering rocker was a bit loose but that didn't fix it completely. I rebuilt the whole thing and still had wag. I notice though that my tail steering sleeve or slider whatever is rather tight on the shaft. Both slider and shaft are brand new, i used a little bit of silicone grease and bearing spray lube in 2 different instances to try and see if i could free it up some. It really should slide nice and smooth especially since it is a brand new, not bent shaft. the lubes work for a short amount of time, but it looks like I'll have to run a drill bit through it to lightly bore it out. I had this same issue on my v120d02S's tail steering sleeve.

Anyway some pictures of my 4f200's night flying kit are attached. I just wish i could get some night blades for it and I'd be all set. I like working with el wire. So if anyone is interested in buying a kit like this for your heli or for anything else for that matter you can pm me. The pictures are horrible, sorry. taken with my evo 4g soo.... not too bad, not great. The canopy used is a LED lit canopy i got from wow hobbies. It uses FAA lighting standards, helps with orientation at night. I added aqua elwire to the canopy to accent the fo cockpit window and matching red and green lines to help with level orientation since i can't get night blades.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Apr 14, 2012, 03:04 AM
Joined Feb 2012
310 Posts
That is a nice light kit. Looks very effective for night flying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
I just ordered a new 2618 for mine. especially after the mysterious loss of TX bind that i had about 10 seconds after take off (lucky, 2nd time though, really lucky.).
What you experienced there is a brownout. And that could be due to the receiver not having enough power. Is your light kit taped into the battery circuit or the BEC circuit (meaning tapped into the receiver's power source). If your using the stock ESC and the light kit is tapped into the BEC circuit then that might mean there is not enough power on the BEC circuit to run a receiver, 3 cyclic servos, a tail servo and a night flying light kit. Most receivers will reset themselves and re-bind when the voltage becomes too low. You could upgrade your ESC to one that has a 3 amp BEC circuit. I believe the stock ESC has a 2 amp BEC circuit. Servos will use more power when they are placed under load. Put a volt meter on the BEC circuit and observe the voltage readings while appling finger pressure to the servos (with the light kit plugged in).

Anyway - this is something I thought you might want to consider before you make that decision to replace your receiver only to find out that after replacing your receiver, your still experiencing brownouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
I notice though that my tail steering sleeve or slider whatever is rather tight on the shaft. Both slider and shaft are brand new, i used a little bit of silicone grease and bearing spray lube in 2 different instances to try and see if i could free it up some. It really should slide nice and smooth especially since it is a brand new, not bent shaft. the lubes work for a short amount of time, but it looks like I'll have to run a drill bit through it to lightly bore it out.
Yes this type of mechanical binding will cause tail wagging and or tail drift.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 05:56 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
What you experienced there is a brownout. And that could be due to the receiver not having enough power. Is your light kit taped into the battery circuit or the BEC circuit (meaning tapped into the receiver's power source). If your using the stock ESC and the light kit is tapped into the BEC circuit then that might mean there is not enough power on the BEC circuit to run a receiver, 3 cyclic servos, a tail servo and a night flying light kit. Most receivers will reset themselves and re-bind when the voltage becomes too low. You could upgrade your ESC to one that has a 3 amp BEC circuit. I believe the stock ESC has a 2 amp BEC circuit. Servos will use more power when they are placed under load. Put a volt meter on the BEC circuit and observe the voltage readings while appling finger pressure to the servos (with the light kit plugged in).
The first time this occurred for me the light kit was not plugged in. The el wire uses an extremely low load, but in anticipation of overloading the circuit I decided to power it with a 2nd 3.7v battery under the canopy. In reality the canopy is plugged into the receiver's unused port, and i am unsure of the load on the canopy though. But if the BEC is only 2 amp it doesn't leave much room at all on this bird. In fact it operates dangerously close to that load with the helicopters own equipment under stress as you mentioned. I bravely flew it with a bad servo i know was shuddering and slipping. SO a new ESC will be ordered as well soon. Regardless though, a quick google search and i did find other people complaining about the "RX loosing signal". Perhaps the same issue with the BEC, or the RX does suck as others have mentioned. Whatever the case may be Walkera's 2618 RX is an updated and better RX because of the gyro programming is better. I'm hoping it will help stabilize the heli a little more too because my smaller v120d02S is much more stable. I'm hoping it helps tame the tail some also but i always suspected the mechanics were to blame on this. I know for a fact though, as many reported, it will at least fix the helicopters tenancy to flip on spool up. Something to do with the 2612's gyro not kicking in till %40 throttle. Walkera's FBL integrated RX is always changing from model to model it seems. The newer ones appear to be improving while the older models are stuck with the old RX. The v200d03 is the perfect example, it was released with the same RX i just purchased. Its also the same RX that was released on the 4f200LM. But the 4f200 is stuck with the 2612 and plenty of people complained about issues with it. Same thing with my v120d05 and my v120d02S. The v120d05 is stuck with a very poor quality FBL on the 2615 RX but the v120d02s flies beautifully and very stable with the newer 2622 RX. Once you install a 2622 on a v120d05 it behaves more like a v120d02S. For how long these heli's have been in market I'd hope they would at least update newer productions with the better RX, but they don't.

Anyway, sorry for ranting. Walkera tends to really piss me off lately. Does anyone have any recommendations for an ESC, i suppose people have found a good drop in ESC that works well with the stock motor already? Even though i'll probably just have to upgrade the motor eventually too. It runs pretty hot, i have to let it cool a minute after each pack. The packs are very warm too when i take them out. I wonder if a new ESC will have more efficient discharge with less impedance. If so, that will run the motor cooler anyway right?
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Apr 14, 2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 02:24 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,637 Posts
[QUOTE=IntegrityHndywrk;21326525]The first time this occurred for me the light kit was not plugged in. The el wire uses an extremely low load, but in anticipation of overloading the circuit I decided to power it with a 2nd 3.7v battery under the canopy. In reality the canopy is plugged into the receiver's unused port, and i am unsure of the load on the canopy though. But if the BEC is only 2 amp it doesn't leave much room at all on this bird. In fact it operates dangerously close to that load with the helicopters own equipment under stress as you mentioned. I bravely flew it with a bad servo i know was shuddering and slipping. SO a new ESC will be ordered as well soon. Regardless though, a quick google search and i did find other people complaining about the "RX loosing signal". Perhaps the same issue with the BEC, or the RX does suck as others have mentioned. Whatever the case may be Walkera's 2618 RX is an updated and better RX because of the gyro programming is better.

You will like the 2618 RX much better. It's worth the price.
I use a separate 3A BEC with an RCTimer 30Amp ESC. Unfortunately all the 30 A ESC's that I've found have a 2A BEC. You have to go up to a 35 or 40 A ESC to get a 3 A BEC built in.
The 3A external BEC is a cheap, and good fix. You can get them at HK for about $7.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 02:30 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
I'd say take a look at this... but then I noticed Out of Stock.

Damn.

http://www.electriflite.co.uk/store/...hp/fp30pc.html
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Apr 14, 2012, 03:03 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
I'd say take a look at this... but then I noticed Out of Stock.

Damn.

http://www.electriflite.co.uk/store/...hp/fp30pc.html
This one is in stock. That should work.
http://www.electriflite.co.uk/store/...cs/fp25pc.html

Here's another one.
http://www.electriflite.co.uk/store/...ze/sup30a.html

Unfortunately they don't have the US of A in their list of countries, but they have every one else including Uzbekistan.
Are they still ticked off at us?
Last edited by clearprop88; Apr 14, 2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 04:49 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88 View Post
This one is in stock. That should work.
http://www.electriflite.co.uk/store/...cs/fp25pc.html

Here's another one.
http://www.electriflite.co.uk/store/...ze/sup30a.html

Unfortunately they don't have the US of A in their list of countries, but they have every one else including Uzbekistan.
Are they still ticked off at us?
So I can't order those then, is what your saying? Well regardless of the ESC. I received my 2 new RX and new head assembly for my v120d05 today. But something happened that has make me hesitant to install my 2618V on my 4f200 now. Probably due to my own lack of knowledge. But i suppose i should install it to make sure its not a dud or something. I don't want to get to into the details because what happend is more related to my v120d05. But if anyone thinks they might be able to help with my 2622V RX issue on that heli check it out here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...120d05&page=44

I thought I knew enough about this by now to pull off these upgrades with out a hitch. I'm just now doubting myself because of this. I'm hoping it's not a defective unit either. I got it from wow hobbies, not sure how they handle those.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 08:21 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,321 Posts
I have no luck. I installed my 2618 on my 4f200 and it appears that the left and right cyclic are moving the swash forward and backward as well as the elevator cyclic. Its very odd. Anyone know what i did wrong? i moved each wire over one by one to the same ports. My TX still has pitch and aileron reversed from the 2612. I'm not sure whats going on. Anyone know? i just had a similar issue with my v120d05 and the pitch and aileron had to be switched and everything worked fine. I'm not sure whats up here. I think i tryed switching the wires but it still didn't look like it was moving the swash right.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:40 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
Are you in MODE 2? If you are you may need to swap AILE and PIT servos over in the RX.

EDIT:: Ah! I see you tried that...

In that case what is your SWASH mode set as? Did you try NORM or 3 servos 120deg?
Try double checking the settings you have on the V120D05 against the 4F200 settings. Can you bind the 4F200 using the V120D05 model in TX and does it then work ok? In that case it's just a TX setup issue.
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Last edited by thwaitm; Apr 14, 2012 at 09:48 PM.