HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2010, 02:25 AM
Member FPV UK
Isle of Wight, UK
Joined Apr 2010
729 Posts
Discussion
Folding Matrix Tricopter

Ok Postman delivered new toys today so the build begins.

This is the Folding Matrix that I have been waiting for from Averticalview. My first Tricopter was their G10 Frame so as I know the quality decided that the new folding Matrix which is a more umm “refined” design would be my next choice. Yes I could have got some ply off cuts form the local timber yard, but that’s just not me. I opted from the additional battery tray and the larger alternative yaw mount so I can put all the cabling down the boom tubes.

All parts present and correct so dry assembled to see how it all fits together. After the normal tweaking of a few slots to allow for the tolerances on the G10 thickness all looking good. You could just bolt most of this together but I am looking for a sturdy frame so some CA where required to keeps all the bits in place so the bolts aren’t doing all the work.

Mod number 1 for me was to include some rubber band mounts for the front booms. The original design used a removable nylon bolt so you locked the boom in the flight or transport position, but I personally preferred to have a rubber band to lock them in place. I still use the nylon bolts to form the load bearing for the booms as they do provide a nice and simple crumple zone if you impact the booms in a crash.

This will initially fly with the normal 3 Gyro’s and a Flymentor setup as that is what I have planned (and therefore) purchased the bits to build. However I will be trying out the wii remote system as this looks very nice and cuts down on the amount of stuff you have to carry so gives a cleaner appearance.

Anyway that was this evenings effort.
IWCoburg is offline Find More Posts by IWCoburg
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2010, 05:18 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Looks very interesting, what motors and props are you planning to use?
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Jun 24, 2010, 08:06 AM
Member FPV UK
Isle of Wight, UK
Joined Apr 2010
729 Posts
I'm starting off with the Turnigy motors Rev, as I'm looking to run on a 4C pack and probably 10 but may be 11 x 4.7 APC SS as the last Tri worked very well with them and the AUW will be similar at around the 1.5kg area but final result will be suck it and see

Mike.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2010, 09:02 AM
Paris, France
Joined Jun 2009
756 Posts
The overall look is great !
It seems to be one of the first commercial tricopter matrix with a rotating yaw mount.
Alexinparis is offline Find More Posts by Alexinparis
Old Jun 24, 2010, 09:03 AM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,069 Posts
Which motors are you going to use with 4S Mike? Thanks for your link from the wiicoptor thread. I did like the simple "Mike's" frame too. You said you had the simple one, is that Mike's version 1 or version 2? How did you like it?
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Jun 24, 2010, 09:14 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
I have asked the question and tried to find out why the 3S battery is the standard for multi-bladed copters, but there seems to be no foundation for it. Maybe cost but for the life of me, I don't know why. Many of the motors that we are using for the tricopter, support 2-4 Cells and I know for a fact, a 4S system has more power.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 09:30 AM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,069 Posts
Many the most popular motors are infact 3S only. The KA20-22, Turnigy 2410s, 2830s will burn up on 4S. 4S is definitely the way to go and I'll be going that route as well on the cheap wiicopter. 3S is also the max on some of the lower end ESCs like the Turnigy SS and the Tower Pro. The efficiency of 4S gives better flight times generally too due to less amps if you don't load it down too much with more weight.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 09:43 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid3ways View Post
Many the most popular motors are infact 3S only. The KA20-22, Turnigy 2410s, 2830s will burn up on 4S. 4S is definitely the way to go and I'll be going that route as well on the cheap wiicopter. 3S is also the max on some of the lower end ESCs like the Turnigy SS and the Tower Pro. The efficiency of 4S gives better flight times generally too due to less amps if you don't load it down too much with more weight.
Again, there is no logical reason for this that I have been able to uncover. I am using RCTimer motors and ESCs and they support 4S.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 09:52 AM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,069 Posts
Well people for the longest time used what was proven. RCTimer is relatively new and starting to make a name for itself but it wasn't always around. But the battery that almost every single pilot has in his stock is a 3S 2100-2200mah battery. That was probably the reason in the first place why people start with stuff that supports it.

Don't want to get this thread off topic too much though. I'm curious to see which motors Mike is using on 4S.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 09:56 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Quote:
Well people for the longest time used what was proven.
I have a name for this, The Emperor's new clothing syndrome.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:01 AM
Member FPV UK
Isle of Wight, UK
Joined Apr 2010
729 Posts
Quote:
Which motors are you going to use with 4S Mike? Thanks for your link from the wiicoptor thread. I did like the simple "Mike's" frame too. You said you had the simple one, is that Mike's version 1 or version 2? How did you like it?
I had the orriginal with the big body which was nice as I used it as an experimental platform so I could try different things out and it was fine. Survived loads of umm "incidents" and was really robust. Now I kow what I want from my Tri the folding matrix fit the bill nicely. The ver 2 body was too small for me as I want to do live FPV so a couple of camera's, a TX etc soon take up space along with a second battery pack.

Mike.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:04 AM
Member FPV UK
Isle of Wight, UK
Joined Apr 2010
729 Posts
Quote:
I have used the 2830/14 and am tryign the 2830-750 Areodrive's as they both seem to want a 4C pack this is not too much of a problem for me.

I'm waitng for the TM PCB as I type as I really want this for myTri's.

Mike.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:04 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWCoburg View Post
I had the orriginal with the big body which was nice as I used it as an experimental platform so I could try different things out and it was fine. Survived loads of umm "incidents" and was really robust. Now I kow what I want from my Tri the folding matrix fit the bill nicely. The ver 2 body was too small for me as I want to do live FPV so a couple of camera's, a TX etc soon take up space along with a second battery pack.

Mike.

Mike, you may need to step up to the next class of motors especially trying to carry a second battery pack. I learned this the hard way, with Copter II, it is right at the threshold of its lifting capacity and my only option is to upgrade the motors.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:06 AM
Member FPV UK
Isle of Wight, UK
Joined Apr 2010
729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexinparis View Post
The overall look is great !
It seems to be one of the first commercial tricopter matrix with a rotating yaw mount.
The bits are nicely made a yes, there is a bit of fine tuning to be done but not much and only took about 10 mins in total to clean all the bits up so they fitted just right. I could have got other "kits" but these have decent sized bodies and are well though out.

BTW, your my hero and thanks for the controller!

Mike.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:09 AM
Member FPV UK
Isle of Wight, UK
Joined Apr 2010
729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendrichie View Post
I have asked the question and tried to find out why the 3S battery is the standard for multi-bladed copters, but there seems to be no foundation for it. Maybe cost but for the life of me, I don't know why. Many of the motors that we are using for the tricopter, support 2-4 Cells and I know for a fact, a 4S system has more power.
My money would be that most people (like myself) have come to the multirota arena form CP heli's and the norma would be a 450 which would run on 3c packs so lots of people have those to hand.

BTW, loved the rear swept tri thread, nice work Rev!
RCG Plus Member