Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 06, 2010, 11:05 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,055 Posts
Well it is midnight and I just finished replacing my rudder on my LightHawk. It wouldn't be a contest without some last minute building

I printed out the scoresheets, task lists, rules and made up the spreadsheets for scoring.

I also made up a playlist for my MP3 player so it can just run all day, just about without need for pausing.

Now eveything is by the front door waiting to be put into the car.

5 and a half hours from now I will be off to run another contest - YIPPEEEEEEE!!!!!

Conditions promise to be outstanding.

Wish you all were here!!!!

Well, I can hope for next year!!

Well, off to bed.......

Goodnight and Jim, we have plenty of servos you can use. all you have to do is come and put it in and FLY!!

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2010, 10:12 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,055 Posts
I want to thank everyone for coming out to support LISF.

I would also like to thank LISF, especially, Dan, Ed, Mike and Rob A. for their efforts.

If it was not for the work LISF puts into the contest, it would never go as smoothly as it does. Thanks guys.

I will have more to write but here are the stats for the weekend:

Sat Aug 7, 2010
Dan Siegel 6729.0
Felix Tang 6719.2
Phil Abatelli 6580.3
Kenny Sharp 6506.4
Dave Ashinsky 6460.3
Kevin Sharbonda 6298.2
Frank Nisita 6053.9
Ed Anderson 5872.8
Rob Sabatini 5849.0
Greg Wornell 5545.3
Peter Nicholson 5034.9
John Sabatini 3832.9

Sunday Aug 8. 2010

Kenny Sharp 4835.7
Dan Siegel 4810.1
Greg Wornell 4707.5
Dave Ashinsky 4484.0
Phil Abatelli 4469.3
Frank Nisita 4264.6
Rob Sabatini 4160.2
Peter Nicholson 4087.4
Michael Lavelle 2968.2
Ed Anderson 2933.5
John Sabatini 2810.0
Trevor Ignatosky 2396.3

Weekend totals
Dan Siegel 11539.1
Kenny Sharp 11342.1
Phil Abatelli 11049.6
Dave Ashinsky 10944.3
Frank Nisita 10318.5
Greg Wornell 10252.8
Rob Sabatini 10009.2
Peter Nicholson 9122.3
Ed Anderson 8806.3
Felix Tang 6719.2
John Sabatini 6642.9
Kevin Sharbonda 6298.2
Michael Lavelle 2968.2
Trevor Ignatosky 2396.3

I will be sending off the scores tomorrow to F3K and ESL for inclusion.

Frank
Old Aug 09, 2010, 04:52 AM
Live for speed
USA, CT, Bethany
Joined Mar 2004
1,368 Posts
Frank, thank you and the LISF for organizing and running a fun contest. It takes a lot of behind the scenes work.
I had a great time, flying with you all again. Wish I could have stayed for both days. Thanks too for ordering the wide variety of conditions on Saturday.

Congrats Dan! Nice flying!

- Felix
GoFaster is offline Find More Posts by GoFaster
Old Aug 09, 2010, 09:36 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,063 Posts
Great job Frank. And thanks for letting us share in your daughter's 3rd birthday by bringing the cake to the field.

When does she get her first DLG? She certainly seemed very intereted in the planes.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Aug 09, 2010, 11:59 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,055 Posts
For those who wanted to see the scores, here they are:
Old Aug 09, 2010, 12:27 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,113 Posts
Congrats to Dan, Kenny and Phil!
Post some pics.
Many thanks to Ed and Frank for making my buddy, Orlando, feel welcome!

Jun
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
Old Aug 09, 2010, 01:31 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,063 Posts
We are going to try and draft Orlando into the ESL. He has a nice Dragofly Strong that I want him to bring to the next ESL contest we have on Long Island and in Birdsboro, PA.

We will have him into the ESL. THEN we will get him into DLGs.

(Sorry Frank, one addiction at a time. )
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Aug 09, 2010, 01:37 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,113 Posts
He's an amazing all around pilot- flies everything! It's his fault that I got into RC soaring. LOL. He taught me everything I know about soaring. Now it's time to get him into DLG!

Jun

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
We are going to try and draft Orlando into the ESL. He has a nice Dragofly Strong that I want him to bring to the next ESL contest we have on Long Island and in Birdsboro, PA.

We will have him into the ESL. THEN we will get him into DLGs.

(Sorry Frank, one addiction at a time. )
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
Old Aug 09, 2010, 02:01 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,055 Posts
We did our best to get him to join us but we couldn't convince him to.

We offered food and drink and nothing.

All of our out of towners are always welcome to come and we will be sure to have the welcome mat out for their arrival.

I only hope everyone that comes has a good time. It is nice to know he did

Frank
Old Aug 09, 2010, 03:27 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,055 Posts
This is my recollection of the weekend’s events.

As usual I got done with the preparations for the contest at just past midnight on Friday (or is it now Saturday ). It took a while getting all the names, task list and what not printed and the score sheets cut. I was feeling a little excited of the weekend to come and really didin’t get much sleep. The reports were calling for good weather but with a front passing through, I wondered how it would affect the day’s events. I left all the contest stuff in the hallway since the rest of the family was already asleep and I didn’t want to wake them.

Saturday I woke up at about 5AM. It was 63 deg. F outside – cold for August on the Island. I checked the day’s weather and decided to setup the parking opposite the predominant wind conditions. I wanted to avoid handing out penalties for landing in the safety zone at all costs. Putting the parking far from where everyone would fly helped ensure this. The launch and land field was setup pretty much in the middle of the field running 200 ft North south and 500 ft east west. I was still wired and anxious to get this day started. I loaded the car and got to the field later than I wanted but early enough as long as nothing went wrong. Nisita Rule #1: nothing EVER goes perfectly. After getting everyone registered, we realized the printer wasn’t working and so we sent one of our clubmates to pick up my printer from home. STUFF happens. Luckily it didn’t slow us down too much.

The sky looked slightly overcast and windless. There was next to no thermal activity to speak of. It was very light lift. For the morning, these slim conditions would improve and the sun would come out but the lift remained light up to about lunch. Everyone had to set up their planes for slow flight and low lift conditions. These were conditions where certain club members excelled in. I had just finished replacing my rudder on my primary plane, my LightHawk, and I hadn’t had time to fly it before the first round began. Luckily, it performed well and I got it trimmed out relatively quickly only really burning the first round to do so. I worked much of the day focusing on smooth turns and getting the most out of my plane and for the most part, I think I did.

For the light conditions, I moved the battery a bit forward trying to gain a bit more stability and trimmed it for a slow speed just above stall. For the tasks to come, it helped stretch my flight time and improve my score (not that I was doing all that great. Only better than if I had not.).

We decided to put in some of the changes to the tasks into our little contest, one being the change to the number of flights allowed on an All Up Last Down. We decided to make these guys suffer and go for FIVE, yes, FIVE throws on the AULD!!. It was fantastic and added another facet to help make things more challenging.

It took till about lunch before I finally relaxed and things started to fall into place. Now I can start concentrating on flying. Nisita Rule #2: right when you feel most comfortable, things will change!

We broke for lunch and the weather changed. What was a wind heading South West turned into a Northern wind. Now it was sunny and turbulent. I would suspect gusts got to about 10-12MPH, maybe more. I pulled out the LightSpeed since the lift was better but I felt the light weight and thinner airfoil might help with penetration. It proved to be an asset since it could falter more and lose less altitude. It also could take advantage of tight weak lift that others could not. I think the two planes complement each other and handle most conditions admirably. These conditions put proved to be challenging to all. We needed the contest after 9 rounds and some of us continued discussions at Chipotle for an inexpensive dinner. Food was OK but the conversation and the company put a perfect end to a challenging day. Now to go through it all over again….

Sunday proved to be a carbon copy, weather-wise as Saturday. Overcast morning turning to partly cloudy, windy and turbulent in the late morning to early afternoon. The first task of the day was a ladder followed by five 2’s. In the weak windless morning, there wasn’t much lift. I was surprised that I was able to hand for over 2 minutes prior to the round began. Nisita rule #3: you will always waste your best flight PRIOR to the round begins! I was able to make up through 75 seconds with no problems but got nailed 2 times with 90 second task and only made it on the third. On second attempt, I was off by 2 seconds. ARRRGGGH! I continued to work on my turns.

The winds came out earlier than the day before. The most memorable round for me was the Last 2 task. It was windy and turbulent and everyone was having a hard time finding lift. I had thrown three throws already and never felt I was getting too far. On the next throw I proceeded downwind for what I thought might be some lift. It was there but it was spotty and narrow and not going up all too fast. I asked myself, do I stick with it to the trees and throw out another score or try to fight the wind home to take what I could get. With some encouragement from Peter, me timer, I decided to go for it. All I thought was, “Turn smoothly” and proceeded to leave the launch zone and fly from a closer point to the plane.. After a few turns I found myself rather close to the trees but starting to go up! I ended up working it to a good 3-400 ft! I had to change positions and move to my left and right about 100+ ft working new lift but I was able to stay up for a full 3+ minutes!! Major accomplishment! All this time, the wind and sink before the trees never let up. My timer indicated that my 4 min max was coming up so I proceeded to go into speed mode and start coming down and maintain some speed while doing it. Unfortunately, I felt it was too soon so I chose to look for more lift and make a few more turns. This would be my demise! Nisita rule #4: don’t change your mind. You’ll end up paying for it in the end! Those few turns caused me to slow down and under normal conditions, I would make the field, these caused me to fall short by about 10ft! THE AGONY!!! All and all, I was pretty cool with it. I threw 2 more times to make use of the remaining2 min. to get 111 seconds. I was unusually calm under those conditions and for the duration I was flying at the distance I was at. I had a chance to put a real hurt on the rest of the group but instead got killed by a max time of 299 from another.

All in all I placed second in sportsman both days and had fun and hopefully learned a bit throughout the weekend. Let’s hope these new found tools stick with me . Sunday was also my daughter’s birthday and came down to the field and we all sung, ’Happy Birthday’ to her and had cake during lunch. I ended up damaging the LightSpeed in the AULD – 4 throws we had later in the day in that the throwing wing developed a crease along the junction where the tip Kevlar reinforcement ended. All in all, it was a great weekend and some challenging conditions.

I want to thank LISF for coming together and putting on a great contest. It is their efforts that truly make this contest possible. I would also like to thank all those guys who drove down during these tough economic times. Your support means a lot to all of us and is greatly appreciated.

Thank you to all who attended and made this a great and exciting contest.

Looking forward to our next gathering,
Frank
Old Aug 10, 2010, 07:14 AM
Poland, Śląskie, częstochowski
Joined May 2008
1,683 Posts
pic please!
pyrsly is offline Find More Posts by pyrsly
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2010, 07:45 AM
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,191 Posts
Frank,
Sounds like you guys did a great job once again and I am sorry I missed it. I had actually forgotten that Alix had set up a birthday lunch with her dad for Klaus....I would have gotten my butt kicked if I asked to go to the island.

See you guys soon and thanks so much for the support in trying to get me going....it turned out that my new 10C is not happy working with my FMA Encore's....annoying..

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline Find More Posts by LJH
Old Aug 10, 2010, 07:24 PM
USA, NY, Bellmore
Joined Aug 2006
175 Posts
Dlg

Yo guys,
Pics on:

lisf.shutterfly.com

R
zwever39 is offline Find More Posts by zwever39
Old Aug 11, 2010, 01:44 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,686 Posts
Although I don't know you Rudy I want to thank you very much for informing my friend Joe Bachor about what a DLG contest is all about. If your ever out in Tucson I'll show you around to all the glider flying site's.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 12, 2010, 05:55 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcats View Post
Congrats to Dan, Kenny and Phil!
Post some pics.
Many thanks to Ed and Frank for making my buddy, Orlando, feel welcome!

Jun
Thanks Jun.
I hope you feel better soon.

It means a lot to me to qualify for the TS Contest.....I've worked very hard for it.....Which for me, means going to a lot of contests, both big and small.

Even though my skill level is middle of the pack, my chances to qualify go up when I attend many contests.
Having 2 Steigs built by Thomas Cooke was also part of the deal.
Poway was exceptional competition and a great learning experience.
The Bruce was an extended 5 day camping trip with old and new friends.....with some world class DLG thrown in for good measure.

I used the skills I learned while at these major contests, practiced almost every day with my Steigs, kept going to contests, and eventually qualified.

What I've learned is there is more than skill required to qualify......It takes getting youself out there time and time again.
I'm glad I did.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp