Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:07 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,081 Posts
So far we have 13 guys registered. Thank you to all of you.

hopefully there are others who are waiting to sign up.

looking forward to a fun filled weekend!!

Frank
Fly2High is online now Find More Posts by Fly2High
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2010, 12:50 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,081 Posts
OK, so far we have 13 guys registered.

If we can get 2 more to register, we can have 3 groups per round.

If we will have 3 more register, we can have the top 3 guys each day earn qualifier points (1/2 a point per day can be earned)

Anyone thinking of registering and hasn't yet???

if you can't afford L.I. room rates, give me a call. I might have room at the house. phone and email on the website (see first post - do not forget the underscores in the email)
Last edited by Fly2High; Jul 23, 2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 08:03 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,081 Posts
we are coming in on less than two weeks before the contest and with all the heat, the field is nice and short, and the county has been cutting the field from tree to tree in all directions.

you will have the full 1200' x 1800' cut nice and low......

but we won't make things that easy for you. you might have an easier time retrieving you plane but you will still have to fly a distance to get to the treelines. We are planning on having the launch zone more centrally located with an estimated sixe of about 400' x 300' which will accommodate about 12 pilots/ group (100' x 100' per pilot).

And do not forget, you can pay on field (in fact we prefer it). It is helpful to register prior to then so we can have everything made up before and get to the fun that much faster.

Looking forawrd to seeing and flying with everyone!!!

Frank
Old Jul 26, 2010, 08:08 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,184 Posts
We were at the field yesterday. The whole field is cut and short. LISF will do a final cut area for the launch and land area but the field looks very good!
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jul 26, 2010, 09:58 PM
Joined Oct 2006
650 Posts
just checked.. we got 14 registered.. just need one more.. frank, i think it's time we showed maria how to throw a dlg.. i say if no one steps up, we need to get ashinsky sr. throwing.... david.. come on, get dad motivated!!
rob1978 is offline Find More Posts by rob1978
Old Jul 27, 2010, 07:09 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,081 Posts
I know of at least two guys who were 'thinking' about coming.

I won't mention any names (Doug and Jim) but we would love to have you join us!!!!

2 guys will allow the top 3 places to get team qualifier points. and 1 more guy will allow us to have one group to REST!!!

The way I see it, even if we do not get 15 or more, we will still sit out 10 minutes between rounds so it will be just like we had 3 groups flying.

If we get enough for 3 groups, I will still have some down time between rounds. This is to be fun as well as a test of everyone's skills.

Frank
Old Jul 27, 2010, 09:22 PM
Joined Oct 2006
650 Posts
bump... come on folks.. i'm not going to any other contests this year unless someone from that club comes to ours... LOL.. oops.. i want to encourage signup not chase people away!!! ...
rob1978 is offline Find More Posts by rob1978
Old Jul 29, 2010, 06:57 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,081 Posts
gratuitous bump

Come on guys, we need just one or two more guys to join in on the fun!!!
Old Jul 29, 2010, 07:13 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,184 Posts
Weather in NY had been hot and dry. That means the field grass is short and the ground is firm. Good launching and good flying conditions.

This weekend we will be cutting a large area very short to make for optimum launching conditions for HL pilots.

The open part of the field is approxmately 1/6 mile by 1/3 mile. A fairly large are for flying before you have to encounter trees.

However if you find the lift you have about 1/2 mile of trees on three sides of the field, so you have LOTS of overfly space to work those thermals.
Last edited by aeajr; Jul 29, 2010 at 07:22 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 05:53 PM
Jim C
Joined Sep 2009
1,473 Posts
I have been on travel for work at the two week mark now. I just cannot get back away from other duties again this soon. Wish I could make it.
ShadowFalken is offline Find More Posts by ShadowFalken
Old Aug 02, 2010, 03:30 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,184 Posts
We did the short cut for the launch area and "tested" it out this weekend with a bunch of "Last Down" flights. Launch area is very good.

The surrounding grass area was cut as well, so that is in great shape.

The lift was good. We had a bunch of flights were we had to declare draws as multiples planes were skied out.

Being that I also fly big TD planes, my tendency is to go high, very high. The rest of the guys were telling me to come down, that you don't have to go that high with your DLG. But I like to do it anyway.

All in all, we are set! Now we just need you. Hope to see you there.
Old Aug 02, 2010, 08:03 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,081 Posts
For those who want to see photos taken from the field, check out our shuterfly account at:
http://lisf.shutterfly.com/#

Also, is anyone coming down on Friday that needs access to the field. This year I will not be able to take off on Friday but can make arrangements to open it early, on lunch break or have another club member open it.

Please post if you are coming out on Friday and when you might be at the field.

Also those of you waiting to see if the weather will be worth taking the trip, we have our order filled with mother nature!!!

I checked on multiple sites and TV and so far they are expecting sun BOTH days with temps of 81 day, 64 at night!!! you have a low chance of rain Friday morning but skies will be clear in the afternoon on Friday. Saturday and Sunday we are expecting winds to be between 4 and 6 miles an hour!!

You can't ask for better weather!!!! Go register today!!!

Frank
Old Aug 02, 2010, 09:10 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,184 Posts
Frank,

I will be at the field Friday from noon on, so I can host early arrivals if no one is there before me. When I get there I will leave the gate open.
Old Aug 02, 2010, 09:12 AM
Practice Makes Precision
United States, MO, Knob Noster
Joined Jun 2006
3,531 Posts
I won't be able to make it after all. I was asked to play for a local team at a lacrosse tournament this weekend. Maybe I can make the next one.
TDisaster is offline Find More Posts by TDisaster
Old Aug 03, 2010, 01:15 AM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,136 Posts
Hi Frank!
Good luck with the contest.
I have a good friend that may stop by and check out the contest. He's a great all around pilot and hopefully he brings a plane. He's the guy who taught me how to fly back when I still lived in Jersey. Man, I miss flying back east...

Jun C.
jcats is offline Find More Posts by jcats