HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2010, 08:08 AM
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Apr 2006
472 Posts
Discussion
ME 110 Scratchbuild

I have been wanting to build a 110 for ages and finally spent a good few hours in Sketchup to learn and started off with this beast. It was daunting and I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew (at this stage) but I will try to get her airborne and take it from there! This is how one learns, not?
darook is offline Find More Posts by darook
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2010, 08:12 AM
Joined Apr 2006
472 Posts
A few weeks ago I found a local guy that is pretty passionate about his aeromodelling and I am sure he has a good few million invested in laser cutters, 4-axis foam cutter, cnc mill, lathes etc etc. He originally was doing prosthetics but now has opened fulltime service for lasercutting, milling etc etc. His website can be found at www.thehobbybug.com.

You can see the ply parts he cut for me. I think the ones near the tail are too thin but I am sure its nothing a carbon rod or two will not be able to sort out.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 01:02 PM
Joined Apr 2006
472 Posts
Drew up the wingcores in sketchup. Sent off to thehobbybug.com for foam cutting.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 06:26 PM
Erik with a K
Toledo, OH
Joined Aug 2007
1,123 Posts
Wow! Watching with interest! A good project for sure!
tvcasualty is offline Find More Posts by tvcasualty
Old Jun 24, 2010, 06:55 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,577 Posts
Nice project darook.
I've had a large one on my mind ever since I built a 44" ws 110. It is such a nice flier that it deserves to be built in a larger size. What size are you planning?

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jun 25, 2010, 12:57 AM
Joined Apr 2006
472 Posts
I have designed her at 1600mm, whats that in inches???? don't know how you guys work in inches, 1/8, 3/8 etc

Its 62.99213 inches according to my nokia cellphone.

John, if you need plans I will gladly send them to you. Just let me know what size you need. Once I am done (with the plans) I will probably put up 2 different sizes for all to share.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 11:22 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,577 Posts
Thanks for the offer Darryn. I may take you up on that later.
I have a plan for 66" ws with foam wing cores already cut. Have had them for about 15 yrs now and yet to get it built. Your plan may a higher degree of scale than mine though.
Good luck with your build.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2010, 02:15 PM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,733 Posts
Another favorite of mine!

How detailed will you make the cockpit? That big green house canopy just begs for a nice cockpit.

I feel your pain with Sketchup. I'm used to 2d CAD and Sketchup has a completely different logic. I only use it when I need to use the Slice and Unfold plug ins.

Looking good so far...........
pmullen503 is offline Find More Posts by pmullen503
Old Jun 25, 2010, 02:41 PM
Joined Apr 2006
472 Posts
Thanks P. I don't really have a problem with sketchup, its more the covering, the composites and new stuff like installing retracts, making spinners etc etc that make me apprehensive. What I am looking forward to doing, is the decals and planning a color scheme. Suggestions anyone?
Old Jun 25, 2010, 03:39 PM
Joined Sep 2008
1,733 Posts
Cover the foam fuselage with light weight fiber glass cloth using clear water based polyurethane. The kind they sell for finishing furniture or floors. Very easy to work with and gives you plenty of time to smooth out the glass cloth. Epoxy will usually give a tougher, more dent resistant surface but until you gain experience with it, it will be heavier.

You can cover the wings and tail the same way. I like to cover wings with brown wrapping paper and WBPU. Very tough and paper shrinks a bit as it dries stiffening the wing in the process. However, if you are not careful to dry both sides at the same rate, the wings can warp. Maybe not the best choice for your first try on wings you've paid to have cut.

As for color scheme: I like squiggles, they are fun to airbrush on. See below.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 01:29 AM
Joined Apr 2006
472 Posts
Thanks P. I was going to sheet it in balsa and then cover it with WBPU and glass cloth but I reckon I will leave out the balsa.

So I just spackle the foam and sand as smooth as possible and then its glass and WBPU, right?

As for the cockpit.... I need to squeeze two 3s 3000mAh Lipos in there so I am not sure how much detail I can work in there. Will have to see.
Last edited by darook; Jun 26, 2010 at 03:46 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 05:58 AM
Joined Apr 2006
472 Posts
I got some WBPU varnish and did a little test with the foam and some brown paper. The paper did not even show a hint of sticking to the foam..... it just curled up and I eventually gave up:

Am I missing something over here?

SO.... I moved back to the fuselage. I removed it from the base template and it is very light and very fragile........ I think I may need to sheet it with 1.5mm balsa and put in a carbon tube to strengthen it. It is so weak I cannot work on it as it will break apart. It has not been a very encouraging day today!
Old Jun 26, 2010, 09:20 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,577 Posts
It will surely need either carbon tube or balsa skinning or both. That white foam is not strong by itself and the small size of the 110s fuse doesn't help either.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:43 AM
Joined Sep 2008
1,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darook View Post
I got some WBPU varnish and did a little test with the foam and some brown paper. The paper did not even show a hint of sticking to the foam..... it just curled up and I eventually gave up:

Am I missing something over here?

SO.... I moved back to the fuselage. I removed it from the base template and it is very light and very fragile........ I think I may need to sheet it with 1.5mm balsa and put in a carbon tube to strengthen it. It is so weak I cannot work on it as it will break apart. It has not been a very encouraging day today!
Perhaps I made it sound a little simpler than is. Here's what I do.

1. Sand and fill any dents in the foam.
2. Apply a light coat of WBPU on the sanded foam, let it dry and final sand.
3. Wet the brown paper and blot it on some towels. You want it wet but not dripping. I cover both sides of the wing with one large piece, overlapping at the LE about 1"
4. Give the foam and the side of the wet paper that will be next to the foam a coat of WBPU and apply the paper wet.
5. Smooth down the paper so it makes good contact with the foam and give the outside more WBPU while its still wet. I usually let it sit for a few minutes and then wipe it down with paper towels so it's uniformly wet but not dripping.
6. Hang it vertically so both sides dry evenly.

Like I said, probably not the best choice for your first wing. It's not that hard but it takes a time or two to get it perfect.

Sheeting with balsa is a tried and true strategy. You'll be amazed how stiff your floppy foam will get. I can usually get a lighter fuselage with FG but the surface will be no better than surface of the foam underneath. If you have a lot foam tear out, you'll be happier with the surface after balsa skinning. It will be a bit heavier most likely.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 12:33 PM
Joined Apr 2006
472 Posts
Thanks P......

I found that the WBPU I was using was not even slightly "sticky". I put quite a lot on both sides as well as the foam and the paper did not even show a hint of sticking. THe paper was in a roll so it had a curl to it which just caused it to lift.

When you say you "wet" the paper, do you mean with water?

I know and trust epoxy so I think I need to balsa sheet the fus, and then go with fiber glass and finishing epoxy.

Also.....I see HK have a new carbon material - http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=12898 - worth a try I reckon.