HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2010, 09:56 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Discussion
Profile Kellett out of Retirement...

I recently had retired my Profile Kellett and decided it had seen better days. As I started taking it apart, I realized it had a lot of life left in her. I wanted to concentrate on dropping some weight, so I decided to make a change from solid planks to built up very lite tail feathers. I started with 3/32" planks for the horizontal stab and the rudder. I then cut ribs and glued them in. Then I cut holes in to save to weight and added a spar and CF leading edge. On the ends of the H stab, I double stacked the wood on the out side radius but must be cross grained for strength and then sanded it all and covered them. Once the vert. end stabs are finished, I will post some more photos.

I will get some detailed photos on the new way I will mount my battery packs.

Dave
imsofaman is offline Find More Posts by imsofaman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2010, 10:35 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,059 Posts
Looks good Dave! Looking for some lift in that horizontal stab I see!
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Jun 23, 2010, 06:45 AM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Trying to get her to fly liter. Interesting experiment...........
Old Jun 23, 2010, 07:04 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Hi Dave,
I like the looks of the build so far man. I'm sure it's going to look great in the Army Air Corp colors. Are you going electric or nitro? Keep the pics coming dave. What are you planning for the gear?

Take care my Gyro Brother,
-Mike
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 23, 2010, 07:50 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
It is actually the old one I had that had been changed back and forth from electric to glow many times. It will be electric again, new motor, same landing gear, new tail gear that will be stronger and lighter than what I had before. I had to rip off the old covering and fix the fuse in a few spots and re-covered it.

I need to a couple more things and I will be up in the air!

Dave
Old Jun 30, 2010, 03:16 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
OMG!!!!! The Kellett flew awesome!!! The airfoil on the rear stab keeps the gyro from nosing up in take off as the rear wants to lift, keeping it stable. With extreme throttle, the tail lifts a bit, but it makes for a nice light flying autogyro. I am very happy with it. I could not bring myself to wear my hat cam as the park had many people there and they were all watching the gyro. Geeky enough with RC plane....but a camera on my head....I just could not do it. LOL!!!

I will get some footage soon. Also, I need to take photos of her all assembled and pretty again and post them later tonight.

Dave
Old Jun 30, 2010, 04:00 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,806 Posts
Nice one Davey,
How much weight do you think you have shed? Shes gets lighter every time you get on the second shift

Looking forward to another great video

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Jun 30, 2010, 05:58 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
I will have to weigh it Richie. Also.....instead of putting the small vert. stabs at the end of the plank....I put them more inward and I think is will keep them safe and also, the real Kelletts also had them a bit more inward from the radius.

The wind was coming from all directions today with strong gusts...yet she cuts through the air nicely. Some of the landings were so fun as it was just hovering. One time I was landing into the wind, then the wind shifted...I was getting knocked around in a circle....I kept the power up and ended up doing a nice wheely on the rear wheel and touched down nice.

I did notice my left servo was very warm so I will replace that tonight. If the weather permits, I may get some video of both the RPG and the Profile. The RPG is looking sexy Baby!!

Dave
Old Jun 30, 2010, 07:53 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Hi Dave,
Let's see the pics man! It's bad enough that you were ashamed to wear the hat cam, but no pics? I'm sure it looks great man. Looking forward to the pics.

-Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 30, 2010, 08:50 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Hey Mike!

OK....a few pics of what I got right now. The piece that secures the battery has not been covered yet. The radial is Crayola Clay as I like to do so much. The rod covers are painted tooth picks.

So, I hope to have some video soon.

Dave
Old Jun 30, 2010, 09:00 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,059 Posts
Looking good Dave! Now don't crash it! I'm coming to your field in a month and want something to fly! July 27- Aug. 3rd....which day works for you?!?!?
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Jun 30, 2010, 09:23 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Oh gee.....I need to check my busy schedule!!! LOL!!! Seriously, I will check to see if anything is going on on those days. Depends on the weather too....

Hey.....are going to fly and run again? Talk you wife into letting you spend the night man! Then you can see the madness of my hanger and I will show you how I go about designing. It would be like the Batcave experience!!! Hahahaha!

Dave
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:31 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Looks great Dave. I like the new tail design, it looks much better shortened in my opinion. Sounds like the airfoil on the tail worked out well for you too. thanks for posting the pics. I'll be watching for the video.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2010, 04:01 AM
gyrobeetim
Australia, NSW, Port Macquarie
Joined Oct 2009
111 Posts
Nice work Dave.

Regards Tim.
gyrobeetim is offline Find More Posts by gyrobeetim
Old Jul 01, 2010, 07:01 AM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Thanks guys! I will be flying today!!! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!

*NOTE* 995MG
The left servo was warm and only wanted to turn one way. I took it apart and located in the top of the case, there are 2 holes for the gear axles to set in. When one of these monster servos gets to the point of you can move it by hand.....it is usually the hole has waddled out. Thus making the gears bind up. If they would make a top case out of aluminum......they would last forever.

Sorry....just rambling on.
Last edited by imsofaman; Jul 01, 2010 at 07:09 AM.