HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2011, 01:36 PM
Joined Mar 2007
275 Posts
Fans

I dont know of anyone making fans but have a go all the the some of fans in the MHA are hand made balancing can be an issue but if you take your time and when you do try the fan out be careful and wear some ppe
HoverTim is offline Find More Posts by HoverTim
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2011, 02:01 PM
MHA webmaster
United Kingdom, England, Reading
Joined Mar 2011
205 Posts
There are fans that size out there (e.g. for ventilation, car heaters, hair dryers etc), but they don't tend to be particularly lightweight I'm afraid, otherwise we'd all be using them! Actually relatively easy to make a balsa straight bladed one, and at model scale, efficiency isn't that big a deal.
jpcwebb is offline Find More Posts by jpcwebb
Old Sep 17, 2011, 05:09 AM
Joined Aug 2011
30 Posts
Today I spent a happy hour in a car wrecking yard pulling car heaters apart and despite the variation in makes and model they all had almost identical, surprisingly large, centrifigal push fans about 200mm diam - great for moving a lot of air provided there is no back pressure - not quite what I want.
Pippit is offline Find More Posts by Pippit
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:21 PM
Joined Aug 2011
30 Posts
Making progress. I have found that cordless vacuums (3.5v - 12v all have the same rather nice super lightweight (10g?) but small centrifugal fans (68mm diameter). I will attach a picture. The white is the small vacuum fan and the black fan is from a small toy hover craft that I will try the new fan on. The difference is that the new fan actually compresses the air as the air speeds up. The black fan speeds up the air but without compressing it it is not going to have much pressure.
The second photo shows a fan from a small 240v vacuum cleaner and this does look promising: 11.5cm in diameter and still lightweight - about 25g. I would like to try fitting one of these in a Taiyo first and see what happens. The vacuum was $4 from a recycle centre so a lot cheaper than converting to brushless motors.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 05:40 PM
Joined Aug 2011
30 Posts
Well that didn't make much difference. I started by fitting the smaller fan into a small (relatively heavy) toy hovercraft that presumably needs relatively high plenum pressure. The fan fits in beautifully with only a slight increase needed in the size of the air intake hole on the hovercraft. I was hoping that when the battery is no longer at a full charge the extra efficiency of the new centrifugal fan would still keep the hovercraft boyant. The fan lifts the hovercraft ok but it still needs full charge to move (weak thrust sytem as well? (Toys!)).
Old Nov 06, 2011, 03:36 AM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,669 Posts
Ah I was going to post saying a found a fan you guys may like, I have my Dyson Dc02 vacuum open for repair the other night and it had a tasty looking fan in there, of course now I'm in the thread I can see it's almost identical to the aluminium fan two posts up.
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:12 PM
Cakeman
Joined Feb 2010
292 Posts
Taiyo Edge RC & Team Edge RC same company

Taiyo Edge RC & Team Edge RC first off are the same company one was a dist for the rc and the other produced or I think the rc. I know this is a OLD THREAD but I came across it while searching around the forums here. Love this site. Not sure if any of you know but Team Edge RC made these. I don't think teamedgerc.com makes these Hovers anymore. They only build RC go karts. They also hold races for the rc karts both stock and modified. Wanted to post this as I don't think many know that Taiyo Edge RC and Team Edge RC are both the same. Keep in mind what I know there are many Taiyo RC companies out there in China and Hong Kong but not Taiyo Edge RC or Team Edge RC to my knoweldge. Hope this helps you guys out. Who knows they may still have parts?

Cakeman
cakeman is offline Find More Posts by cakeman
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:56 AM
Joined May 2010
335 Posts
i own 1 hovercraft. i used 1350mah 3s 20c lipo. what i did was put a 2 pcs 1n5400 diode so i dropped the voltage to 11.1v. i also pu 2s lipo on the rx. it performs so very well on grass since i paly it in our own flying field
bigbro3760 is offline Find More Posts by bigbro3760