SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 10, 2010, 04:49 AM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,686 Posts
Brushless ESC can only power one motor even if it has enough power it has to read tthe coil possition and if there is more than one reading it would just get confused.

I don't think a brushless motor can just have it's poles flipped for reverse, I could be wrong though, Could use the steering sero to just disconect a motor to turn, prob the easiest thing to do would be to turn the right stick/chennel two 90' for tank style control and use an ESC on each channel for each motor.

Depending on what coutry your in/seller would send to your country eBay would be the easiest way to get one.
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2010, 11:29 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,885 Posts
The existing control system/electronics is one of those insufferable "vector thrust" things the Chinese like to call it.

An esc and radio receiver combined onto one PCB and the steering is accomplished by cutting throttle to one motor.

So to switch to brushless motors or even another radio you need a stand alone Rx, plus two esc's as well as two motors and then an electronic interface to make the motors cut out for steering. That is a lot of extra weight. So now you need a more powerful lift motor and prop to overcome all that extra weight. Might end up being a "lead sled"
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Aug 11, 2010, 05:03 AM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,686 Posts
I don't feel the need to go through all that bother when just a runtime upgrade is all I'm after, If a were to try upgarde radio etc, I wouldn't try brushless, I would have one ESC per channel and rotate a control stick in the controller so it works the same way as the stock Tx.

First and cheepest attemtp at this will be 2 X 4 AA holder and 4 X AA 1000mAh twin pack from a local £1 shop.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I may order this today, it's cheeper than going to www.maplin.co.uk
Old Aug 14, 2010, 12:09 PM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,686 Posts
Well my AA cell holders arived yesterday, question is though, do I solder the clips to a tamiya style connector or hardwire it untill I go LiPo with it?

With a little luck I'll make a few quid tips tonight then I can get the cells on Monday and have some fun with it.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 07:28 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,885 Posts
Probably easier to just solder those Tamiya plugs to it for now.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Sep 17, 2010, 01:29 PM
Joined Oct 2008
461 Posts
One of my staffiers ran across your postings here.
SO, Are you attempting to have longer run time or speed?
You can only have one or the other with these unless you upgrade heavily. Brushless will not work. We get this question allot with our RC Gokarts. Why not run brushless? Well, it causes to much wear, torque and heat on the product. It was not designed for top speeds, It was designed for simple and little upkeep unlike true hobby constantly upgrading hobby rc items. Try a simple upgrade of a RK370 metal backed endbell motor. Do not use plastic endbell styles as originally sold with. The brush life is short lived and after a while, which you all have found, run time decreases rapidly! The older NICAD batteries/cells are no good due to the new tech in cells. Besides the NICADS are heavier in wieght which reduce speeds and run time. Go with a lipo or NIMH type. One last bit of advice, find a cell with more than 1000mah. This will allow for long run time. Most should be in the 15 minute range since most drivers have this thing about running rc craft's at full speed most of the time. Keep in mind, this causes heat when the trigger is pulled back in full 80% of the time. On a ending note, you can also upgrade the fets to allow the stock speedo to run cooler but you must have knowledge of stacking fets on a esc board!

Robert
TERC
& RBP Kart Racing Hopups
"where speed and skill meet"
RBPRacingKarts is offline Find More Posts by RBPRacingKarts
Old Oct 03, 2010, 07:58 AM
Suspended Account
Australia, NSW, Wanaaring
Joined Apr 2010
302 Posts
Robert,

do you have a web site on the karts?
MaxYmus2010 is offline Find More Posts by MaxYmus2010
Old Oct 08, 2010, 01:38 PM
France
Joined Jun 2007
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkforce View Post
what will happen if i plug a 3s lipo into the power system it currently has?
Well, tried this with a recent clone I buyed... lift motor fried after a 10 minutes run

I may try to go brushless some day but I don't have time right now, it's just laying dead for now .

-You'd need 3 ESC and 3 brushless motors (that is, including lift fan), a motor/esc combo can be found for around 10-15$(http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idCategory=179) but you won't get "reverse"
-A 2ch transmitter should suffice to control it , this can be found for 15-20$ (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...z_2Ch_Tx_&_Rx_) you may need to wire the lift motor parrallel to the lipo and do some hacking to get it to run constantly (apply constant signal to the esc or stay brushed on this one). Otherwise, a 3rd channel may be needed
-Rear motors mixing (turn one off to turn) can be done by the transmitter or a "v-tail mixer" that can be found for under 5$ (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6321). Throttle goes to "elevon", rudder channel goes to "aile", the mixer will give full throttle to both motors when throttle is way up, and reduce one of the motors when rudder is applied
-3S lipo is found under 10$

All in all, it gets a bit costly if you see it as an "upgrade". But I just buyed the clone to get a "frame" with a proper skid, and planned to simply replace all electronics from the start. this way, you might get a proper hovercraft for a quite reasonable price (under 100$ including the "donor" hovercraft)
Bisso is offline Find More Posts by Bisso
Last edited by Bisso; Oct 08, 2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 01:46 PM
Joined Oct 2008
461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxYmus2010 View Post
Robert,

do you have a web site on the karts?
Hello,

I am sorry about not getting back to you faster. We've been busy with a move, indoor rc kart track facilty and maybe helping out with a nitro warehouse for off road. Not really into off road rc but if we can help rc boom in this area we'll try it.

As for website? Yes, go to www.teamedgerc.com be sure if you wish to chat with me vai email, place Attn: Robert. Other wise you'll most likely get Skip or Jessy here. Not to sound like a pompus @zz but I stay pretty busy.

As for the site? Its up and running as we just, I mean just moved in here. We do have a couple of pages, specials, chat and gallery that are not yet finished. They should be soon for our "members only"

If you need anything else or something special you don't see? Don't be afraid to ask. We have well over 20 plus years of exp in rc vehicles and most of it for me has been in the rc onroad racing and real karting believe it or not

Robert
TERC
& RBP Kart Racing Hopups
www.teamedgerc,.com
"where speed and skill meet"
RBPRacingKarts is offline Find More Posts by RBPRacingKarts
Old Feb 15, 2011, 08:00 PM
Joined Sep 2010
43 Posts
Lipo instaed NiMh

Hy,

Just wanna let you know i fried up an ESC from a two 380 boat with my LIPO2200MAH.
The boat I got at a garage sale for 2AUD.No big deal though.
It should be similar with the Taiyo Edge.

I own aswell a Taiyo Edge hovercraft. Got it for 15AUD jused including a 9.6V genuine Battery in verry good condition.
I compared this battery with my 2200mah Lipo.
The Taiyo performed much better especially in terms of thr ground clearing. The speed of course increased dramatically.
But in the end I wouldn“t converte this cheapy two brushless because of the costs.

I guess a better choice is to try a Eneloop or othe MiMH LSD rechargable battery pack with a lot more pressure.
Than the money is not wasted and these batteries can be used in a remote later.
I bought recently a 9.6V vortex LSD batteries (different configurations available)from a bay uk.
The price, postage and quality was verry good!

Regards
RCfantast
RCfantast is offline Find More Posts by RCfantast
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:19 PM
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne
Joined Sep 2010
58 Posts
new skirt

HI all,
I have one of these in the back shed too. After reading the posts i went looking.
Skirt has fallen apart over the years.
Any ideas on how to make a new one?
so little left and so fragile im not sure I can even use the old one to make a pattern

o actually I just looked. Its a Typhoon Metro that I have
upnover is offline Find More Posts by upnover
Last edited by upnover; Feb 16, 2011 at 04:11 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 05:04 AM
Joined Mar 2007
275 Posts
Tyco hover

the best thing to do would be to get a model from ebay and use for spaers or you can get a new model for a resnable price but these models are under powerd i know a chap that has removed the fan and replced it with a brushless motor and prop much better and at the rear he has taken off the two ducts and replaced that with one brushless motor that turns on a pylon and the battery has been changed for two small lipos it works better still not great but i will get over the hump where as the standerd model does not
HoverTim is offline Find More Posts by HoverTim
Old Feb 17, 2011, 03:56 PM
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne
Joined Sep 2010
58 Posts
Yeah thanks tim, I had a good look at it last night and apart from the fact I have many other "toys" to work on it really is a bad design. No doubt great for its time but so heavy compared to nowadays. I might strip it for bits.
thanks
upnover is offline Find More Posts by upnover
Old Mar 11, 2011, 02:10 PM
MHA webmaster
United Kingdom, England, Reading
Joined Mar 2011
207 Posts
I made a skirt pattern for a similar toy to give it a 'proper' skirt rather than the 'orrible rubber thing it comes with, but the fact of the matter is that the toy is just too darn heavy for the cushion area and underpowered, so by the time you've gone to the trouble of upgrading all the motors, fans, escs etc, you may as well have started from scratch IMO. That's why I gave up and binned the thing (but kept the centrifan and thrust unit - you never know ). It was clearly designed by a toy maker with no idea about hovercraft. If you want a decent ready to run model, the Ikarus Dragstair is highly recommended - it really zips along and is fun to drive, though not particularly stable, so a bit of a hazard on water, but on land it's ace (no, I don't work for Ikarus, I just happen to have one and rate it well).
jpcwebb is offline Find More Posts by jpcwebb
Old Jul 07, 2011, 11:21 PM
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Mar 2010
19 Posts
try puting some weight on the front of the ship so any air from the skirt will escape out the back pushing it forward
drtrider145 is offline Find More Posts by drtrider145