HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2010, 03:25 AM
fly the best
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Apr 2010
174 Posts
very cool, my 1800mah 3s packs fit inside the battery compartment, i will give it a shot when i get an adapter for the pack.
sharkforce is offline Find More Posts by sharkforce
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2010, 08:03 AM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkforce View Post
very cool, my 1800mah 3s packs fit inside the battery compartment, i will give it a shot when i get an adapter for the pack.
That's my problem, I'm not much of the waiting kind, I've splices and or soldered it the second I could see it fit!

Of course then I would have had to undone it afterwards.

If 650mAh 9.6V NiCd is giving me 2mins then your 1800mAh 11.v LiPo should give you at least 6, maybe more as the voltage is higher the current drain should be a little lower.

Been looking around at the options....
hers is what I thinnk is the best NiMh that can be had at 9.6v 2600mAh
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/9-6V-2600mAh-4...item53e247504e

2600mAh NiMh should give me just shhy of 10 mins I think.

I'll try it on 8 1000mAh NiMh AA from the local pound shop, if these work out ok I'll prob get one of the packs in the link, I don't have anything with 3S at thee mo so it would be a little expensive for me at the moment.
djdavies83 is offline Find More Posts by djdavies83
Last edited by djdavies83; Jul 26, 2010 at 08:29 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 08:34 AM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
love it, 11.1v really makes it scream! sounds like an EDF jet, just that you don't have much doppler effect as it ain't shooting past going over 30mph!

was that the full run or was that minus a few mins running before water?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:55 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,026 Posts
That was the full run as described, on a battery that did not have a full charge.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jul 26, 2010, 02:33 PM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,649 Posts
Ah, that would be why it only ran a stock time, I guess we will see about 6-7 mins on a fill LiPo?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 06:50 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,026 Posts
Just ran the 1000mAh LiPo fresh off the charger. I got 9 minutes of play time on the water before the low voltage alarm came on.

At the 7 minute mark, I could smell the motors getting hot. Or something getting hot, whatever. Since it was windy outside the wind was blowing it right at me.

But I kept running it and at 9 minutes shut it off. Took a whiff and although it smelled from being warm, it was not acrid like something had burned up.

I also wanted to see exactly what the lift fan was doing so I drove it to the middle of the pool and then let it just idle with the lift fan running and what happens is the hovercraft starts to spin around in a backwards direction. I can see air blowing and spattering the water at the front of the cushion.

The hull also took on a bit of water and I discovered that the skirt can be pulled out a bit. drain the water, and then tucked back in.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 03:16 AM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,649 Posts
When on solid ground does yours "sit up" a little? with mine the back seems to drag a little and it can bearly move backwards, I've not tried it on water yet.

I guess the backwards and spin on idle must be from the fact it has a central spinning fan and nothing to counter-act the torque from it.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 09:16 AM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,026 Posts
On solid ground mine will not back up either. Good explanation about the torque!
Old Jul 27, 2010, 02:25 PM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,649 Posts
Ye it's kinda like a helicopter that never takes of so there is no tail rota or 2nd counter rotating main blade, I wonder if the back end is ment to have a little contact with the groud to stop torques-spin.

I'll need to get mine back out and give it a run thsi week.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:14 AM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,649 Posts
Oooooooh! What about sticking one of these in it?

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11050...AQ%3AUS%3A1123

the seller replied and said it's 5.5 x 5.5 x 2cm and weighs 200grams, I'm sure with a little trimming on the legs that hold the pack down this would fit, oh ye, it's 4800mAh so if the motors can take running that long it would be 45mins, maybe almost an hour?
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:27 AM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,026 Posts
I just did a Google search on this battery. It is designed for CCTV cameras. The "C" rating is probably very low, and so trying to use it in a high demand capacity would probably not work. It is a Li-Ion also, not a LiPo.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:41 AM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,649 Posts
Bummer, if a 1000mAh lasts just shy of 10mins then the craft is pulling about 6A? So 4800mAh that would be 1.25C I know Xmods draw about 3A and users fit 2 1000mAh AA LiIon.

I may try it at some point way in the future but it does sound like a gamble.
Old Aug 09, 2010, 02:46 AM
Joined Jan 2009
22 Posts
I had one of them Typhoons! A white one and my neighbour had a black one! ours were always in the water, occasionally under the water as we skidded them off the pool decking into the H20 lol..

Pretty sure they are a 380 can arnt they? Go brushless! Surely the plane guys have an ESC for two engines that size.. hook up a seperate(if you wish) battery to the Main fan.. longer run time again one would presume!?
Foolsp33d is offline Find More Posts by Foolsp33d
Old Aug 09, 2010, 03:08 AM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,649 Posts
I have been wondering if a seperate main fan battery would help.

I have no idea what size motors these are, I think it would be a conciderable amount of hardware for that upgrade two bi-directional ESC (without break, then reverse) the brushless motors and a servo mixer to allow steering.
Old Aug 09, 2010, 11:48 PM
Joined Jan 2009
22 Posts
the crawler guys run twin 540's often off one esc.. and im sure there are twin prop plane guys out there to-not a plane guy so dont really know whats available on that side of things.

Either way, it shouldnt be hard to get the two 'control fans' to run off a single ESC, just reverse the poles on one of the motors!?

A seperate battery powering the fan laced into the reciever, so the cushion could be deflated should be simple enough.

Thinks I need to scrounge some garage sales and see if one of these bad boys cant be picked up cheap enough to tinker with!
Foolsp33d is offline Find More Posts by Foolsp33d