HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2010, 10:08 PM
fly the best
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Apr 2010
174 Posts
Discussion
TAIYO Edge R/C

i just found this thing in my closet, i think its at least 6 or 7 years old, it runs off of a 9.6V ni-cad pack and i'm curious what it would take to convert to maybe 3s lipo?
sharkforce is offline Find More Posts by sharkforce
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2010, 02:30 AM
fly the best
Joined Apr 2010
174 Posts
what will happen if i plug a 3s lipo into the power system it currently has?

theres atleast 11 or 12 corroded screws that have to be taken off in order to see whats under the plastic body... saving that for another night.
battery life and power output is completely unacceptible, it can be driven around for maby 2 minutes on the nicad pack, the lift motor is wired in series or something with the 2 main motors cause the lift motor slows down when those are operating.
Last edited by sharkforce; Jun 23, 2010 at 03:20 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 06:24 AM
Hungary
Joined Jul 2009
257 Posts
Probably its power system can't handle the higher volts and amps. But the biggest problem is that its ESC can't handle Lipos, so it will ruin it.

I think the best if you change the nicad pack to a new 9,6V Nimh pack, and charge it with a separate nimh charger.

Gabriel
RdsG is offline Find More Posts by RdsG
Old Jun 24, 2010, 12:47 PM
fly the best
Joined Apr 2010
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RdsG View Post
Probably its power system can't handle the higher volts and amps. But the biggest problem is that its ESC can't handle Lipos, so it will ruin it.

I think the best if you change the nicad pack to a new 9,6V Nimh pack, and charge it with a separate nimh charger.

Gabriel
thanks for the tip.
Old Jul 08, 2010, 12:20 AM
Columbus, OH
Joined Aug 2008
214 Posts
If I were you I'd run it off of a 2s lipo. You would see a performance increase and the battery would last longer but you wouldn't have to worry about it frying everything like a 3s.
Slider388 is offline Find More Posts by Slider388
Old Jul 12, 2010, 03:21 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RdsG View Post
If the ESC can handle ~11.5-12v then it would be fine, it doesn't matter which type of battery you're running. The ESC wouldn't have a lipo cutoff though, so you could end up draining the lipo too much.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Jul 12, 2010, 06:46 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,475 Posts
if the lift fan is sagging when the other motors run, this is because the battery is dropping voltage as they start to draw power and the lift fan is your indicator of that.
i wouldnt run a lopo on that without some sort of cutoff or monitoring on board.
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Jul 12, 2010, 08:01 PM
fly the best
Joined Apr 2010
174 Posts
I will probably get a cheap 2cell lipo to test it out eventually. i run a timer when i do lipos to not overdraw the batteries.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 06:02 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,867 Posts
I have a "Fuhai" hovercraft, NIB. I bought it apparently in 2003, since that is the date on the NiCd battery.

I just opened the box, decided to see what this thing was all about. I also did a quick internet search. It appears the Fuhai, and Taiyo are one in the same item.

I found a r/c hovercraft thread from 2003-2005 era and they talked about this HC and how to modify it to make it perform better.

They used a 12V NiMh pack and said the electronics and motors did not suffer. The also sealed air leaks found in the battery compartment and antenna hole, which resulted in a higher lift off of the ground.

I am going to try a 1000 mAh 3S LiPo in mine.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:32 AM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,686 Posts
I just struck gold at a car boot sale this moring, Got this hover carft with 650mAh NiCd and remote (no charger) for 5GBP.

I am just "dumb" charging it with with the 10V 500mAh adaptor that came with my S022 Chinook, got a timer set in my phone for 1 hour 20 mins.

Just need to buy a 9V for the remote and with a little luck I'm away, I've wanted a hovercraft since tyce brought out the Typhoon (I think I'm showing my age saying that).

I totaly agree the reason the lift motor loses power when the drive motors are on is because the NiCd pack dropps voltage when all 3 motors are running the same time, if the lift motor was in series it would turn off when the drive motors are not in use.

I would love to stick a 3s pack in this but for now I'll fit 2 X 4 AA cell holders and buy 8 X 1000mAh AA for 4GBP.
djdavies83 is offline Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Jul 25, 2010, 01:09 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,867 Posts
Good score!

I ran my Fuhai last night on the kitchen floor, which is tile. I was quite impressed. It actually works!

It popped right up and will scoot along at a pretty good clip (for inside a breakfast area anyway).

I wish the main thrust motors had propo control, that would be neat.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 02:22 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,686 Posts
The 2mins run-time that was posted in this thread really is no joke!

had it on the laminate flooring in the living room and it had a controlable speed if you didn't blast it, but when I tried to go backwards it hardly moved, when you look at it it appears rear heavy (I think I'll remove the fan gaurds to save weight and level it out), you know like it's not flat and level even with the battery inside rather than held in hand.

Outside on the reasonably smooth tarmac pavement (it's only been down about 5years, so smooth even a 6 X AAA modified GEN1 Xmod is happy) it ran really well, took a little getting used to and compensating for drainage slope was a little tricky and fell off the curb a couple of times, completely forgot hittng the little red button that kills all motors and lets it squat/break.

Talking about a 12V pack, here's something I just happened to have laying around....

It will not fit inside but I'll try him out anyway, maybe the 9.6v that came with it is duff, I'm cahrging a 9.6v I also got this morning in a car I bought for 3GBP.

I would love to try this on water, there are plenty of canals round my way, taken my boat on them a few times, but with this 2 min run time Ithink I'll try a few deep puddles untill I can improve it.
djdavies83 is offline Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Jul 25, 2010, 06:46 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,867 Posts
I am picturing what it would be like to fly one of these across an ice skating rink!
Old Jul 25, 2010, 08:00 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,867 Posts
I just tried mine on a 3S 1000mAh 25C LiPo battery. The battery had actually been in storage mode so it was not fully charged, and I got about two minutes of run time. But even though, I did notice an improvement over the stock 8-cell NiMh. I first ran it on my kitchen floor again, but it was too hard to keep from running into walls and furniture so I took it to water instead. I ran it in my swimming pool.

I noticed as soon as I set it in the water, with only the lift fan running, it wants to move backwards.

Anyway, I took video and it is uploading now. I will post it when it's ready.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 10:13 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,867 Posts
Video

Fuhai Hovercraft (2 min 45 sec)