HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2010, 09:14 AM
Somewhere in the Black Forest
Joined Oct 2009
440 Posts
Build Log
Bristol Scout, scratch built 1/6th scale

Last November I decided my next project should not be a kit but something scratch built. As it was the first model in this size that i built from almost zero, I chose a Bristol Scout. The full- size aircraft has a clean and relative simple design, so I thought it wouldn't be too hard to recreate it. The only help I had was an old plan, which I took as a guideline for some important angles like the incidence, or the shape of the airfoil. The only part I ordered from a hobby-shop was the cowling, as I didn't want to make one of balsa and plywood. The cowling is made of polycarbonate, as all the other cowlings available in aluminium, were too small or too big Most parts of the model are made of balsa.Two root ribs in each wing- panel and the two formers are from plywood. The firewall is from 3mm plywood and the cabane and wing struts are from 12x4mm pine. The Scout is covered with Solar-Tex and painted by airbrush, using Tamiya colours. Span is 125cm(49.2") length is 112cm(44"). She's powered by a Turnigy SK-4250/650 using a Zippy 4000mAh 4-S battery and a 14x7 APC-E propeller, drawing 40Amps. Flying weight is about 2800grs.(98.8 oz.) Maiden was on March 24th this year and was very successful. Although I had to use nearly 300grs. (10.6oz.) to achieve a proper C.G., she flies very good and can be slowed down quite a bit without a tendency to stall. The following pics are some of a whole bunch which I shot during building this model.
Kauz is offline Find More Posts by Kauz
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Kauz; Jul 12, 2014 at 04:47 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2010, 09:19 AM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,372 Posts
Beautiful work! I really appreciate your efforts for scale structure.
Pat Daily is online now Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Jun 22, 2010, 10:18 AM
Joined Oct 2009
440 Posts
Well, and now some photos of the completed model as it currently looks. The black and white cowl as well as the "Warriors head" are not scale, but I wanted to bring a little bit more "life" to my Scout. Therefore, Scale enthusiasts, close your eyes The video was taken on her 3rd flight where she was still missing some weathering and the striped cowling. Nevertheless, her flying characteristics haven't changed since then If you have some questions about the model, feel free to ask me
Video:
Bristol Scout-C (6 min 29 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Kauz; May 16, 2012 at 01:28 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 10:23 AM
Joined Oct 2009
440 Posts
Thank you Pat Believe me, this model cost me some sleepless nights But all in all it was worth the effort
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Albatros DV.a....the third ;-)
Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:09 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,433 Posts
Nice model Kauz
A lot of scale detail in there I would never attempt.
And I'm not sure that anyone could say there was never an aircraft in action in that war that had a black and white cowl.
The whole WW1 era was a hotch-potch of different markings. I have photos that show the sides of fuselages of Scouts adorned with Union Jacks and even roundels on the fin! The blue-white-red fin stripes were fairly normal though, although by the end of the conflict I believe it had become customary for the stripes on British aircraft to be reversed to the red-white-blue still used today for RAF aircraft, while the French stuck with the previous order.
Anyway well done!
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:12 AM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,021 Posts
Your scratch building abilities have been confirmed. You did a fantastic job. Thank you for posting the photos and video. I enjoyed it very much.

Now, about that striped cowl

Larry
Lnagel is online now Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:17 AM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,372 Posts
Where in the Black Forest (I love that area and the Alsace)? Loved the video and the music--nice flying plane. Does it fit in the BMW?
Pat Daily is online now Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Last edited by Pat Daily; Jun 22, 2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:27 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,930 Posts
A flying museum piece, very inspiring, congratulations and thanks for posting.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:06 PM
Joined Oct 2009
440 Posts
Thank you very much to all of you for your kind comments
@eye4wings: I was reading me through some literature and of course searched the net for every available information I could get about the Scout. All the profiles I could find, showed this aircraft with plain aluminium cowlings or in some rare cases with all red ones. The black and white ones were often seen on Sopwith Camels for example. I was thinking about the Union Jack too, but this marking was painted only on aircraft in the beginning of WW-I, later they had the roundels. As I wanted to paint my model green, I had to do a later variant. But you are right, who can tell right from wrong after nearly 100 years gone by.
@Pat Daily: In the northern part. To the Alsace we have about 2 hours by car. Compared to the US its just like driving to the next city But I'm in a foreign country then I have a VW Golf (don't know the name it has in the US). Its not a big car with a relatively small trunk, so I have to put the fuselage onto the back seat and the wings into the trunk. A BMW should work fine I guess.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 23, 2010, 07:33 AM
Joined Oct 2009
440 Posts
We had very bad weather here over the past four weeks, so I built a small device which allows me to put my FCO² into the cockpit. The camera platform is servo driven and allows me to "look" to both sides. I have a 3-way switch on my transmitter so the cam has 3 fixed positions to shot vids. As soon as my time will allow, I'm going to test it. Hope it works Here are some additional pics of details on my Scout.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Kauz; May 16, 2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 08:40 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,648 Posts
Beautiful work!

Back in the 70's I was stationed in Germany and we stayed in the Black Forest one weekend. It was at the Sand Hotel or at the town of Sand, can't remember now. Really nice restaurant down a short gravel road where we had Jaegerschnitzel (of course!). It was summer but I seem to remember a ski lift. Beautiful area.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:08 AM
Joined Oct 2009
440 Posts
Hi Charlie,
Jaegerschnitzel...and what else? I hope the famous noodles called "Spaetzle" And yes, ski lifts, we have a lot of them around here. Its one way to earn money during winter in this area as we have (sometimes) a lot of snow.

Frank
RCG Plus Member