HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2003, 05:52 PM
Joined Feb 2000
380 Posts
Graphite 3.1m full D-box versus Graphite 3.1m molded cross tail sailplane?

Anyone had any experience with both of these electric sailplanes and have any ideas as to which is the better one to get? I would think that the bigger one would thermal better but some say you need the 6 servos wing version to properly fly it which seems strange. Also wondering about the 3.1m D-box compared to the all molded cross tail graphite. I would think that the D-box one would thermal better as well as it is lighter but I've heard that some people like the all molded one more because of its more accurately built molded wing. Any iformation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
bfraser is offline Find More Posts by bfraser
Last edited by Bernard Fraser; Jun 17, 2003 at 10:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2003, 08:21 AM
(Batteries not included.)
Mesa AZ
Joined Jun 2001
655 Posts
My opinion: If you need precise competition flying where landing accuracy can determine the winner then get the smaller span. For sport flying and pure enjoyment the bigger span is more fun to show off. I don't recommend the 6 servo wing with an electric LMR plane just because of the extra complications of channel assignment and motor on-off functions but it does have a "cool" factor when you are out flying with your buddies. I have the 6 servo wing Escape and fly it more often coupled as a 4 servo wing than without. I'm also convinced that the fully molded 3.1M Graphite wing outperforms the D-tube wing as far as airfoil performance and hangtime.

Your mileage may vary....

Dave Wenzlick
Dave Wenzlick / Slickraft is offline Find More Posts by Dave Wenzlick / Slickraft
Old Jun 19, 2003, 06:58 PM
Joined Feb 2000
380 Posts
Thanks for the reply Dave. I will definitely not get the 6 servo wing version then. As I'm buying the plane purely for sport flying where accurate landings aren't as critical I guess I'm either going to get the 3.45m full D-box Graphite or the all molded cross tail one which you have. Between these two which one would you get for sport thermal flying (non competition)? Also have you seen the Zenit evolution by Shredair? I wonder how it would compare to the 3.45m Graphite.
Last edited by Bernard Fraser; Jun 19, 2003 at 07:09 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2003, 06:51 AM
United States, FL, Starke
Joined Apr 2002
2,259 Posts
I prefer a bagged or molded wing so I wouldn't go with the Zenit but that's just me. That would also make me choose, as I did, the molded Graphite.

Dave
Doc Data is offline Find More Posts by Doc Data
Old Jun 27, 2003, 02:34 PM
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,019 Posts
Hi, I just got a Graphite 3.1 with the molded wing flying this last month and I had a question. Does anybody use reflex or camber adjust for high speed or thermalling?

Thanks in advance,

Kasra
kasra is offline Find More Posts by kasra
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 27, 2003, 03:37 PM
United States, FL, Starke
Joined Apr 2002
2,259 Posts
I camber all my MH32 wings. It helps a lot in a thermal!

Dave
Doc Data is offline Find More Posts by Doc Data
Old Jun 28, 2003, 12:32 PM
(Batteries not included.)
Mesa AZ
Joined Jun 2001
655 Posts
Bernard,
I have not seen the Zenit you mention. I have the 3.1 all molded cross tail Graphite and I would choose it again if needed.

kasra,
I always camber for thermals and reflex for speed.
Dave Wenzlick / Slickraft is offline Find More Posts by Dave Wenzlick / Slickraft
Old Jun 28, 2003, 05:04 PM
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,019 Posts
Thank you very much for the info. I just got back from the field where on my second flight I enabled the speed OFS on the futaba 9C and used camber when I got into thermals. It works wonderful. I seem to recall reading somewhere against the use of camber and reflex for certain airfoils. I guess MH-32 is not one of them. Thank you again for your response.

Now for my second question, I fly DLG's also and I prefer the cross tail in those. What is your reasoning for using it in the Graphite. Mine has the V-tail and while it looks good to me anyways, I am wondering if I am missing out on something.

Thanks,

Kasra
kasra is offline Find More Posts by kasra
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2003, 07:30 PM
Joined Feb 2000
380 Posts
Thanks for all the information. I've decided to get both the 3.1m all molded cross tail Graphite and the 3.45m full D-box Graphite. Now I have to decide on which motor I'm going to get for one of these two planes (I already have a Hacker 10 cell F5F B-40 motor for one of them). I will probably get a motor that draws less amps than my F5F B-40 but I'm not sure which one to get.
Old Jul 07, 2003, 12:44 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,586 Posts
Bernard

I have a 3.1 m full D-box with a Lehner 1525 with a 8:1 gear box turning a RFM 20 x 13 (with the +7 yoke spinner) on 7 cells( about 70 amp). I like the light weight setup and it thermals great. I also flew Kasra's fully molded version. His flys a bit faster(motor off) since he has a hacker with 14 cells. I think the D-box flys nicer in light lift but since the weight difference, it is hard to compare the performace. I pick the seven cells so I can fly in the seven cells class. I also bought an extra nose so I can change the setup to open class.

Brian
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan