SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 17, 2003, 04:57 PM
WNC
Joined Mar 2003
32 Posts
New power for Pltensky Eagle

I have a question....

I finally have a nice new Potensky Eagle (HL can't seem to keep them in stock) and it was love at first flight. My only concern is putting 70+ watts through a speed 300 can motor for too long (9.6v and 7.5 amps). I've been looking for a couple of days now and have not found any definitive info on the subject of a new power plant for the Eagle/Cobra. I want to keep the (near) hover capability or even better - real 3D.

Does anyone else share my concern? If so, what are my options? My only stipulation is that it work with my new 9.6v, 720 HeCells that I got for the Eagle. I was thinking of something brushless or maybe one of the nifty outrunner motors that are all the rage across the pond.

I want to get something underway soon, so I will not be without my new toy for long when the motor goes smoke....

TIA

Jeff
price200 is offline Find More Posts by price200
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2003, 07:10 AM
Hey... watch this...
Herndon, Virginia, United States
Joined Feb 2003
787 Posts
How much does the HE cells weigh ?

I fly my Cobra on 2p2s Kokum 1020's and it does pure 3d and can hover no problem. The 2 packs weigh 3 oz. and give 10 Mins 3D flying or 15-20 mins regular.

So far the motor has held up longer then I would have expected but I am only pumping 7.s volts into it.

When it burns I will put a Mini AC in it or maybe a Nippy 280.

Mike
Mmarshall is offline Find More Posts by Mmarshall
Old Jun 18, 2003, 08:40 AM
Size Matters!
San Francisco Bay Area
Joined Dec 2002
2,654 Posts
I've put on the GWS "D" box and a 11x8 prop (cobra) which pulls 12a static-still going and going. I have the floats on and will rog. havn't tried row yet. Should i dunk it, it won't bother me as if it was brushless.

Somehow i can't bring myself to glueing a brushless to the motormount. but have also considered the mini ac and a razor 300 or 350 on 7-8 cells or 2s.
RocketRob is offline Find More Posts by RocketRob
Old Jun 18, 2003, 10:11 AM
WNC
Joined Mar 2003
32 Posts
The 8 cell 720 HeCells are @ 3.5 oz.

I've done a little more digging and it seems that a PJS500 or 550 may be an option. I like the outrunner concept, swing a big prop without a GB. Another thread has been discussing PJS's for a few weeks now and someone is currently testing a 550R so we will see.

BTW, how did you mount the GWS box?

TIA

Jeff
Old Jun 23, 2003, 03:00 PM
Oakdale, MN, USA
Joined Sep 2001
379 Posts
Hey, price200!

Care to share from whence you obtained your HeCell 720's? They should provide a little more punch than the AAA Maxells I run with my Eagle now.

Another thought I just had is that I bought the CNC mount, gearbox (6:1) and pinion from Troy at B-P-P.com for my Orion Elite. I was all set to put this arrangement together and decided to try the motor by itself. Seems like it doesn't want to spin like it used to and may be damaged.

However, I have a 6 volt Graupner Speed 300 that could be used with this gearbox to make a "homemade EPS-350C". The Graupner motor even has splines on its shaft.

I like the Eagle a lot. It is a lot of fun to toss around, but at 12.5 ounces, mine could use more power.

Regards,

Dale Case
Dale Case is offline Find More Posts by Dale Case
Old Jun 23, 2003, 04:43 PM
Size Matters!
San Francisco Bay Area
Joined Dec 2002
2,654 Posts
The GWS box mounts upsidedown and just screw it to the front of the 300can. Leave the 300can glued in to the fiberglass mount as stock (the motor case becomes a "stressed" member). One could trim a few grams off the gearbox by cutting away the now unneeded stick mount part.

I did this originally because I broke the potensky nylon pinnion and the GWS brass pinnions and multitude of gear sets are proven performers and readily available.
RocketRob is offline Find More Posts by RocketRob
Old Jun 23, 2003, 10:50 PM
WNC
Joined Mar 2003
32 Posts
I got the HeCells at edogfight. They were $28 a pop.

http://www.edogfight.com/

On the subject of ordering stuff.....

I just got my GWS pinions, shafts, and a few other things from FoamFly. They now stock GWS. I ordered online Thursday eveniong and got my goodies this morning in the mail. That's what I call service !!!!!!

Back to the original thought, I have been reading a thread on the Razor 300/350/400 in the GWS GB. Looks interesting, LOTSA power.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5&pagenumber=1

Jeff